Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: John on 02-24-2006

Reviews: 1,202 | Hads: 2,937
1.64/5  rDev -59.7%

this beer is f'ing gross. it tastes like licorice or something. just a little to unearthly for this dirt dweller. sorta just weird flavors all around. maybe I got a bad growler? oh well, try it once if you're curious it's affordable and fairly easy to find. about try their double IPA, hope it's better.

2.1/5  rDev -48.4%

On Tap at TJ'S EVERYDAY in Paoli, PA.

Unearthly boasts a persimmon orange with some dark golden spots around the edges. A nice amount of loose melted sugar colored foam uptop that left after some time, minor sticks on the glass.

Smell is very off putting for me. There is some underlining citrus and earthy appeal, yet Unearthly smells like Elmers Glue. Enamel stripping type stuff, chemicals. Super sweet smelling as well with candi.

Trying to get past the smell, this has some nice heady hop qualitys bringing slight mango and other citrus, tropic like. Im sure it could be better if it was not for the super sweet malt profile that comes with alot of ST offerings for me. Are they trying to kill people?

Feel is a strong medium with a syrup consistency, it's not all that easy to get down the hatch. The carb is low enough to hardly be noticed. Alcohol coats the mouth. This is not looking good.

I had this once when I was first getting into IPA's/DIPA's years ago and I was indifferent on it then, going towards the MEH pile. Now after having it again years later, this is in the FUCK NO pile.

2.11/5  rDev -48.2%

Bottle into glass

A - Clear copper color that pours a small off white head. leaves moderate lacing

S - Strange smell, malty and an over-the-top sweet/floral, does not smell like any beer ive had

T - Sickly sweet. Tastes mostly like overly ripe (or perhaps rotted) fruit. Also has a large caramel malt presense.

M - Medium body with average carbonation. Sweetness leaves a coating on your mouth

O - Extremely dissapointed. I am a big fan of Southern Tier's IPA and 2XIPA. This is one of the most unpleasant beers I have ever drank. The extreme sweetness hides the ABV, at least.

2.16/5  rDev -46.9%

A: Pours a clear, dark orange/honey color with about a finger of white head. The head quickly vanishes into a thin ring with little to no lacing.

S: Lots of caramel malt up front followed by a sweet peach/nectarine smell. There is a bit of piny hop aroma there as well.

T: Caramel malt up front followed by a bit of the same sweet peach flavor. Then come the hops, adding a piny flavor to the middle. There is some bitterness in the finish, but the malt rears its head again as well, leaving an odd mixture of bitter and sweet aftertaste. There's a bit of a metallic aftertaste as well.

M: Medium body with medium carbonation. There's a bit of an oily feel to it as well.

D: With as malty as it is and with the hops playing such a minor role, this isn't a very drinkable beer.

Edit; after having this beer on tap, I have to say it's not much improved. Slighly hoppier, but still way too sweet. Maybe a D+ instead of a D.

Overall, I suspect the bottle I got may have been a bit too old. However, if they're not going to bother bottle dating their beer, I should not be bothered with continuing to buy it in hopes that I get a fresh one. Most 10+% DIPAs can stand a bit of age as well before falling off.

2.25/5  rDev -44.7%

Paid $5.99 for a bomber from Discount Liquor in Milwaukee, WI. Poured into a large snifter.

Pours moderately thick for a DIPA leaving a rather fizzy half inch white head that dissipates quite quickly leaving minimal retention. Rather transparent light amber color with some carbonation visually present. Almost no lacing.

A well balanced DIPA. The hoppiness is balanced well with a grainy malt aroma. Rather mild on the nose.

Again, the goal with this one must have been to make a well balanced DIPA.

The mouth is somewhat creamy but has a somewhat watery, crisp finish. Aftertaste does not last much. Good carbonation.

Not what I'm looking for in a DIPA and even for what it's worth, I'm not really sure this brew was a success. Quite overrated. So much so, it makes me wonder if this is a bad batch or something?

2.27/5  rDev -44.2%

Apperance is a lovely hazy deep copper-gold. Dense sustained foamy head. Spotty lacing. Nose is strong and unpleasant to me. Murky dark stewed fruits like prunes, raisins, mangos, apricots and some hops but generous to a fault. This is unrestrained deep malt flavor that rests on the tongue. Taste is similar with a really bad band aid phenolic taste to boot. Finish is ashy tasting and feeling also unpleasant. Mouthfeel is nice while drinkability is low due to taste and aroma. I did not enjoy this beer.

2.51/5  rDev -38.3%

A - Deep orange with almost no head. What little there is disappears instantly and leaves behind no lacing.

S - Malt-forward. Caramel malt and that's mostly it. Some searching yields some tropical fruit hop presence but not much. Where's the hop-forward nose on this imperial IPA?

T - Same as the smell. Mostly malt from the beginning with some fruitiness from the hops. Hardly any bitterness is present. This beer doesn't taste bad, but I expect an imperial IPA to be a heck of a lot more bitter and hop-dominant.

M - Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation and a slight alcohol tinge in the finish. A little too much sweetness from the malt.

O - This is not a bad-tasting beer, but it is a poor representation of an imperial IPA IMO. The bitterness is very subtle for the style, and the hops are in way too good of balance with the malt. I don't drink an imperial IPA for perfect balance between malt and hops, I drink it for a pronounced hop character.

2.52/5  rDev -38.1%

Here I am giving Unearthly another chance. I must be a glutton for punishment. OK, let's do it right this time. Poured into a snifter, it looks a fiery orange-red. Typical thin strong-ale head.

It smells good, better than the last time I tried it. Hops hit the nose first, then a strong undercurrent of honeycomb takes over, peaches, apricots, alcohol.

After a brief hit of peach-vodka sweetness, this has a rough, coarse dirt-like bitterness I really don't think I find too enjoyable. High in alcohol in an all too obvious way. Coarse, thick feel - coats my tongue in a weird way.

I still don't like it. It's way too alcoholic, with high levels of not pleasurable bitterness. It's one of the most difficult-to-drink beers I've ever tried. Somehow, other DIPAs or barleywines at or near this strength manage to be tasty and drinkable, yet this in my mind fails. I think 11% is much too much for this, I still maintain it should be closer to 9 - in fact I think all of ST's big IPAs should be scaled down in alcohol a notch or two.

2.6/5  rDev -36.1%

i really wanted to like this. everyone was always going on about it and all. so i was stoked when i got a bottle and chilled it good and got out my favorite glass and poured it.

what a let down. maybe i was too stoked. i don't know.

i was all set for a hop blast. wasn't happenin' at all. maybe i got a bad bottle, i don't know.

a great disappointment. hardly any hop flavor at all. and there was even a sweet undercurrent.

i may try their other beers, but i am skeptical.

2.68/5  rDev -34.2%

A fairly dark amber color.

Minimal head that settles quickly. Sips are almost completely flat, lacking carbonation.

Minimal smell.

A bit heavy on the malts for my tastes.

The hops are present, though not very heavy, and not nearly heavy enough to break through the overpowering malt flavor.

Not terrible... but I cant say I enjoyed it myself. Be prepared for the heavy maltiness and lack of carbonation. And definitely dont expect a powerful hop bitterness just because of the hop themed design on the bottle.

2.71/5  rDev -33.4%

From bottle to pint glass, split with wife.

A) Golden, more of a "sandy-blonde" as Patrick Bateman would say

S) Smells hoppy, and slightly of oak (although I've had the oak-aged version, which was completely different than this)

T) Malt... booze... a hint of hops... not what I would expect from an IPA.

M) Nothing memorable.

O) Not bad, just doesn't taste like an IPA or double at that.

2.74/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.75

A: A deep amber color that is mostly clear. Two fingers of off white head. Rings of lacing around the glass.

S: A mild smell of dank pine, and bread. Catching subtle tones of booze and fruit in there.

T: Herbal and boozy with hints of fruit and pine.

M: Medium and smooth/creamy body. Carbonation is on the lower side.

O: I'm not sold on this one. The hop profile is extremely weak. It feels as if they brewed a double batch worth of malt with a single batch worth of hops to make this beer. Not at all what I would expect from an IIPA.

2.74/5  rDev -32.7%

I've enjoyed Unearthly many times before. This particular bomber hails from Harvest Fine Wine in West Hartford CT, purchased in September for $6.99. Bottle claims alcohol at 11.0% ABV. No date or code observed. Served at 44F in a tulip at the same temperature.

A: A significant cake of yeast is noted at the bottom of the bottle. Brew is a mostly-clear reddish copper color with a moderate quantity of small carbo bubbles drifting upward. Heavy/ moderate pour generates only 1/2" of tan head that settles to a creamy layer. Difficult to get any significant head out of it.

S: Smell is thick with malts that have been slightly caramelized by a long boil, a thick and slightly scorched grainy sweetness. Not much hop noted.

T/M: Thick malt body and taste identical to the smell, semi-sweet, scorched, really dominates the experience. Some mild yeasty funk is also present. Hops are pretty subtle, very tame for the style; some bitter orange pith, grapefruit, mixed herb. Finish is pretty long with citrus rinds and alcohol fumes. Alcohol is present but fairly subtle for 11%.

D: This is pretty lackluster, I remember it being much better. Not at all crisp or hoppy like a DIPA should be. Not much different from any other mediocre DIPA. I'm guessing it's due to some combination of over-cooked batch and an old bottle.

2.83/5  rDev -30.5%

A--Deep amber color with a finger of head using a standard pour into a pint glass, OK lacing left behind

S--Citrus and floral hops with a strong malty backbone. Grapefruit, apple peels, caramel, pears. Not a huge smell but still very good.

T--Piney hops, lots of maltiness, caramel, an odd sweet flavor that I can't identify, good bitterness levels. I'm not really too impressed with the taste here. That sweetness that I can't seem to identify is really distracting and takes away from the other flavors present.

M--Standard for a DIPA

D--A bomber of this was just too much. I could drink a pint for sure, but beyond that it becomes a chore.

2.85/5  rDev -30%

No bottle date.

A: pours a hazy amber ale with under a single finger of tan foam which falls slowly to a broken sheet of the same with tortuous billows. Ringed lace.

S: This smells like sweet malts and some piny hops. Not much else. I fear this beer sat on the shelves for quite some time. That being said, the base malts smells of caramel and caramelized sugar.

T: Tastes like a sweet American style Barley Wine. Not impressed as an IPA goes. The malts are sweet and toffee like with hints of oxidation which has developed the malt nicely.

M: A hare thin on the body and low on the carb with a small slickness on the finish.

O: Well, I wish I knew the bottle date on this beer. I know it's not particularly new (as I've heard they've gone through a label change), but nonetheless, I know their beers to be generally sweet. As a result, I'm stuck believing this is relatively along the lines they intended. As an IIPA, this is far from hopped enough.

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Just okay. I hate southern tiers' malt bomination of mostly everything hoppy that they make. This one's probably the worst amongst them. It's a little bitter and citrus does come through a bit, but with every sip you are overwhelmed completely by the weird sticky sweet malty taste. Not a good thing. Maybe this f bottle is a bit old at around 4 months, but I've had it fresh and hardly have noticed a difference. Definitely stick with Gemini or 2x one for a hop forward beer and not a sweet malt bomb like this.

2.92/5  rDev -28.3%

Sort of a limp pour. Not ugly, not by any means, but you can tell by looking at it that the carbonination is real low. Not much of a head, either.

Smells like a hop bomb. Big nodes of Chinook and Centennial against a very strong, syrupy malt. I don't mean to sound like a wuss or nothing (I enjoy some immensely hoppy beers) but blend comes off as overpowering without any especially enjoyable nodes. Maybe the malt is stronger in the taste, I dunno...

Nope. Tastes like a blend of giant hops as a very bizarrely bitter syrupy malt background. (The syrupyness is accentuated by the fact that the beer is very undercarbonated). The hops burn the tongue and are mostly just bitter--there's no pleasurable nodes here, no citrus, no fruit, no pine, no woodiness. Just fiery bitterness.

I dunno. I just don't like it.

2.93/5  rDev -28%

Poured this 22 oz. brown bottle into an IPA glass. No date. The body was a clear golden amber color with two fingers of camel colored head. The bottle suggests serving at 42F, I had it a little warmer (48-50F) and I wish I hadn't. I believe the alcohol overwhelmed the other aromas and flavors as it warmed.

Smell was malt and citrus. Sweet. Alcohol ramps up as it warmed.

Taste was also sweet, but bright in the beginning. The alcohol was well hidden at the beginning but blossomed as it warmed. Not a West Coast type of DIPA, more malty and sweet.

Mouthfeel was prickly on the tongue. The body was medium to full. I would like to try this one again, only served colder (I don't say that often!).

2.93/5  rDev -28%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

You gotta like raisins for this one, folks. Don't understand why others on here aren't noting that.

This poured a solid-looking, clear amber with a white, shiny, one-finger head.

The fruity-tart hops aroma is immediate...followed by fairly strong raisins. An aroma of malts is not overshadowed, though.

The raisin smell comes through the taste, mixed a tad with notes of dates, fig, and other bitter dark fruit. The malts come through with caramel characteristics.

Mouthfeel is a little sharp from the bitterness, and has a long, boozy, hoppy finish.

Drinkability is just OK. The aftertaste, for me, was harder to stomach than the 11% abv. Wasn't totally easy finishing the 650 ml bottle...maybe because I had other brews before this.

A half or full glass would make a decent apertif.

2.95/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear dark copper with a one finger off-white head. Really good head retention and lacing considering the strength of this beer.

The aroma is quite weak with hints of overripe orange and tangerine. Some mango and pineapple sneaking through but it is very light.

The hop flavor is quite weak as well. Some tropical fruit with moderate floral and pine notes. Just a touch of bread but hops completely dominate. Bitterness is on the light side and has a hard time rising above the overwhelming sweetness. The sweetness gets to be a bit on the cloying side after awhile making this a little hard to finish.

Overall, this is really a sweet, sticky mess. I can't stand sweet IIPA's so this one is not a favorite of mine. So many other better options out there.

2.96/5  rDev -27.3%

Interesting... I love their trip and it's one of their lowest rated beers whereas this one is rated much higher and, well, it just doesn't do it for me. My biggest complaint is the underattenuation - on the order of an English barleywine, you know? Other than that... I guess I'd like to see it a bit more bitter. I do have to say that blended with another beer this was freaking amazing. As it is... Not quite.

Again, months later. Tastes... Just not very interesting. You really don't notice the alcohol, FWIW. But... It's just not there. Way too light in color and flavor for me for a DIPA. It seems a lot like Loose Cannon - maybe I should try these side by side? Of course, if they are, indeed, at all similar I'd much rather have the Loose Cannon, of course. Getting the same flavor and intensity out of a beer for 4% less ABV is a feat, IMO.

2.96/5  rDev -27.3%

A: dark amber color, with a slight reddish hue. After pouring the head formed up high and fizzed down with vigorous carbonation, but the remnant head is more creamy looking, a light amber color.

s: smells extremely malty and sweet, almost too sweet. there is also lots of alcohol in the aroma, not a whole lot of hops in the nose. mostly smells like malts, raisins, and alcohol.

t: intense malt sweetness up front, a little woody, and very boozy. there is a tinge of bitter hop flavor but it's just swept to the side by the overpowering combo of heavy malt and alcohol.

m: heavy, boozy, syrupy: not all that drinkable (i split this bomber with a friend and it's taking me 20 min to drink 11oz)

o: i really don't know what to say about this one. it's really expensive, and all my friends that have had this beer have said such great things about it. and honestly it was a huge let down. i think the oaked version of unearthly is far far better, and even gemini is much better. but if you're going to buy any southern tier beer ipa, get the 2x IPA. i haven't tried their regular ipa, but i've had all the others and the 2x is WAY better than all these small batch bombers. this one was definitely the least hoppy, somehow the oaked version tastes that much different.

2.96/5  rDev -27.3%

a- bottle poured into a snifter, nearly two fingers of head, slight haze warm chesnut coloring.

s- warm biscuit, strong, some pine, light citrus.

t- this is a strong one, sappy pine, earthy hops come through, some huff and burn here as well, i wish the alcohol was a bit more hidden.

m- medium, coating, slick.

d- not the best, the alcohol isn't well hidden here. i was a bit disappointed here.

2.98/5  rDev -26.8%

Far too malty and sweet for my tastes, but it's smooth and has a rich flavor that some will enjoy. But for those who like big hop bombs this is a much more malt-forward approach to a DIPA. It's not bad at all, just not what I'm generally looking for in a DIPA.

22 oz. bomber.

pours out a hazed bronze/copper colour. thin light tan head with accompaning slim lace. malty aroma...brown sugar, toffee and caramel. spicy hops are subdued, and i can detect a whiff of alcohol. flavour profile is malt forward with a good deal of spicy bitterness and boozy punch. the problem is since there are freshness dates on these ST bombers, i don't know how old this bottle is and the nuances i'm getting from this beer is that's it's definitley past it's prime. wet cardboard and apparent oxidation are prevalent, but i'll do my best to pick out some accentuating characteristics. besides the muddled sweet maltiness, a beer with an agressive hopping schedule should have a much more vibrant hop profile and all i get is some spiciness and bitterness. no real hop flavour to be had. full bodied but it has a slick and slippery mouthfeel. drinkability suffers becasue in my opinion this is not what i should be tasting.

overall this is a disappointment because it's obviously old or bad in some way. i'll try to get another review done with a fresher bottle.

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company