Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: John on 02-24-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,883 | Reviews: 1,202
4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

Draft in a 16 oz. pint glass. Golden, one finger off-white head with no noticeable carbonation. Slightly citrus hoppy nose. Nice balance with some alcohol in the finish. Medium mouth feel.

Very drinkable IPA, hoppy but not over the top. Drinks more like an AIPA rather than a DIPA. Nice bouquet to the hops, very aromatic. If this is really 11 ABV, damn, I'll have another.

Second Drinking (9/25/09)
13 oz pour in tulip shaped glass at the Sunset Grill, Boston. Golden amber and slightly hazy with a short lived head and no signs of carbonation. Strong aroma of pine and fruit. Extremely well balanced flavor considering the IBUs. Honey sweetness along with strong resinous hops. My tounge crys "Uncle" as the hops take over through the middle and finish. Medium bodied. I am too exhausted to notice the finish. Thank you sir, may I have another.

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

After hearing much about this beer I finally tracked it down! Out of a bomber this brew was an orange-amber color with perfect clarity and good rising carbonation. The full three-fingers of yellowish head displayed very good retention and consistent, very good lacing. This beer just plain looked great. The aroma was excellent, rich and complex- fruity esters, floral hops, pineapple, orange, pine. The flavors were equally complex, lots of citrus and citrus rind that then gave way to herbal and piney elements along with alcohol and doughy malt that balanced the beer nicely. The 11% was very well-hidden, it drank like a beer half its strength. The mouthfeel was creamy, soft and a touch oily, the body medium/full and the carbonation delicate. The hop complexity was impressive and the beer totally on-point for the style.

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

At long last, I am finally able to buy Southern Tier here in Illinois. Hallelujah! Clear bronze body with two and one-half fingers of off-white head atop. Rich aromas of hops, plenty of citrus with a hint of pine and mint leaf. Not a big blast on the nose but a steady whiff of malt and citrus hops. However, so far, I'm quite impressed.

The taste is terrific--grapefruit, a bit of lemon, lots of caramel. Very smooth and malty but also with that chewy, almost gritty hopped texture that I love so much, Unearthly strikes a fine balance as a good DIPA must, making the mouthfeel ideal.

Unearthly has quickly vaulted into my top-10 IPAs. An excellent beer, this makes me all the more thankful that Southern Tier is finally available here. Many thanks to all the good BAs who recommended this and other Southern Tier wares in the forum.

Outstanding.

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

22oz Bomber poured into Chimay goblet.

App: Dark egyptian golden with shallow frothy head, 1-2 fingers. Not too much carbonation. Lacing in the house.

Smell: Not too overpowering, wish it was, hoppy a little on the foamy breakdown.

Taste: Bangin', probably my new favorite joint. At 11% it is hidden so well. Hoppy/Citrusy and that's all I'm pickin' up. Sick brew.

Mouthfeel: Usually a stout man, so it does feel thin and not too full-bodied, but it really is on point. Not too "runny." Figgadealme?

Drinkability: Go 'on head and get a few, i challenge you to drink 2 and not be stumblin'.

Best wishes on this one, definitely in my top 5, maybe 3. Hoping to get some on tap one of these days.

4.56/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Golden copper-colored body with lots of bubbles, spotty and soapy and scant lacing, and little head retention, even as it warms. I wonder what's going on here.

Smell: A beautiful meld of big wet sticky hop aromas -- with everything from flowers, earthines, citrus, tomacco, pine, ripe fruit, sour cherries, strawberry -- along with some sweetness, from caramel malt, semi-sweet chocolate, vanilla, honey, and molasses. Tons of stuff going on, without either element taking over, letting everything through to wonderful aromas popping up all over the places.

Taste: A very nice mix of what comes through in the nose mostly, with ripe fruit, floral and grassy hops, earthy bitterness, mild tobacco, citrus sweetness -- more lemon and orange than grapefruit here, a bit of diacetyl and biscuit flavors, and a lingering finish that wants to stay forever, one that I keep going back to. It's nice that the sweetness and floral hops are at the forefront, still making it easy-going, with little discernible alcohol, and some of the bitter and pungent hop flavors coming out with the long finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, creamy, and pleasantly coating without any residual stickiness at all.

Drinkability: An exceptional version of the style, in a more graceful and nuanced way than a lot of them turn out to be (one of my favorites recently being Moylan's Hopsickle, with has a less ABV% but has much more of a visceral nature for the hophead), and it seems like that's their purpose. These ST bombers can get expensive, but this one's certainly worth it, and I'd undoubtedly try it again, and if you have to choose either the Hoppe or this, choose the latter. Still, this beer has let me know that Southern Tier can do their thing, and I'll be trying more when I get the chance, hoping that they can match my experience with this.

4.56/5  rDev +12%

This beer looks like an innocent pale ale, and is anything but. As soon as the bottle is opened a massively hoppy smell finds your nose. The strength of the beer is hidden well by its bitterness and the aromatic hops. It has a malty taste that supports the heavy hop usage and makes it dangerously drinkable for a beer in its alcohol range. At 20$ a bottle, it's almost worth it. Another great offering from Southern Tier.

It's called Un-earthly, and it is.

4.57/5  rDev +12.3%

Started drinking this cold out of 22oz bomber , will drink slow to let it warm.

Appearance is light orange. Head quickly disapates.Very clear beer.

I could be mistaken , but thiers hops in this beer! Smell is dominated by the hops with some fruity citrus smells coming through.

Taste is very balanced with the high hop content. Almost has the taste of a sweetened grapefruit drink.

Moutfeel is somewhat thick, as it shoul be.

Drinkabilty of this beer is exceptional.I want to drink my other one even though it'll wreck me for the night.

4.57/5  rDev +12.3%

22 oz. Brown bottle with a green screen printed label listing ingredients and drinking instructions. Pours a light copper with quite a nice foamy off white head. Slow tiny bubbles, nice chunky lacing. Aroma is absolutely mouth watering, great blend of English and American hop varieties. Bitter sweet fresh hop oil aroma, citrus, floral, pine and a bit of spice, behind that complex hop aroma is a big hit of caramel, really smells wonderful. Full bodied with a syrupy texture. Very thick and caramel sweet, the hop bitterness is present until midway it is very complex, citrus, floral, pine, a little grassy, and really rides nicely into the finish which is a bit herbal and spicy. This beer is incredibly complex yet really very drinkable also despite it's incredibly high ABV. The alcohol volume can be felt as it warms my belly and my cheeks. About halfway through this bottle and I could feel it. The large English hop presence and high ABV makes this seem more like a barley wine that a IIPA, but does it really matter? It's delicious.

Cheers!

4.57/5  rDev +12.3%

This is a golden amber in low light. The nose has a golden ruby red kiss of grapefruit. There’s sweet citrus aromas as well as some hints of cherries around the edges. Not hoppy so much as fruity—very pronounced fresh fruit flavors come across more than any citrus or pine hops (although there is a little piney chew to give it another layer). I get the cherries, as well as some berry notes, and it has a sweet finish. For an imperial IPA it was a complete surprise. Dessert-PA, anyone?

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

An 11.00ABV DIPA, hello moto! Pure orange in hue with a rocky off-white head that maintains massive patchy lacing; huge head retention going on here. The nose is sweet caramelized sugar, juicy hops and then some. An avalanche of hops from the first sips--pick em--I detect at the least Chinook, Cascade and fresh Centennial hops! A sweet and tainted palate of bourbon-isk liquor with hops lingering in the throat area, a more than welcome warming affect. Warming reveals one remarkable beverage--tastings of grapefruit, bubble gum and loads of orange juice masked beneath the hops; at 153 IBUs, what do you expect. This is a gem, one worth seeking. Repeat and repeat--sip, sip and sip. Savor and enjoy this mammoth DIPA!

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from bottle into glass. Pours a light amber color with a small, quickly-dissipating head.

I smell some great, sweet, hop aroma. There's a hint of cinnamon in the odor.

Taking a deep sip, I feel a pleasant tingling as the carbonation dances on my tongue, releasing little bursts of hops. These are not just bitter though. There are so many mixed sweet and biting flavors that it is hard to differentiate them all. I can tell a general sweetness and spiciness with a mild bitter overtone and a lingering hop aftertaste.

The hops definitely coat your tongue. Your mouth feels slightly sticky, but full of great flavor.

I drank a bottle and it felt to be just about the right amount. I don't think I'd open a second at one sitting.

4.59/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This one pours an amber to golden tan color with a rich and creamy off white head that is super thick, very long lived and settles so slow I can wait any longer to see if it is going to lace or not. I wouldn't call what it is doing lacing as much as a time-lapse collapsing of the foam that completely coats the glass on the way down.

The nose is superb spiced hops with strong citrus and pine notes. Like an east Texas forest in the spring after a light rain.

The taste is surprisingly fruity malt that is equally dominant in what I would a binary IPA. The fruitiness is powerful but so is the bitterness of the hops. Both are powerful and well balanced for the extremes.There are subtler notes of bread, pine and I agree with the caramel and peppery notes as well that are printed on the bottle. Those are very subtle when compared to the other extremes but are definitely there

The mouthfeel is like wet silk and coats the palate nicely without being cloying. In fact this one makes me have a unnaturally intense craving for spicy boiled crawfish. I think this one would be perfect with extremely spicy food like BW3's Blazin' wings or some crawfish boiled with "Slap Ya Mama" crawfish boil.

OK, I am drooling now, have to get some heat to go with this beer.

I just had to cave and get some Slap Ya Mama and eat the boil straight. And I was right, this is a perfect beer for super spicy food. I also tried some straight BW3's Blazin' sauce and I have to admit it is awesome with either.

overall THIS IS awesome BEER. About to become a staple in my house. I can't even taste the 9.5% alcohol, but I can feel it on an empty stomach.

Damn! This is Fuckin-A great beer!

4.59/5  rDev +12.8%

Thanks to pieper for sending this my way. An excellent recommendation. 22oz poured into a beer tasting snifter.

Pours a clear deep golden color with a short eggshell head that fades quickly but leaves a little nice lacing.

Smell is very enticing with plenty of fresh pine needles, resin, and cereal. Some citrus kind of hangs back with a light sweetness.

Taste very closely follows the nose, with full piny resiny hops up front and a solid grainy base. I'm really impressed with the delicate balance of this beer despite all it's imperial strength. Almost light and crisp, even deceivingly so right up to the finish as the resin coats the mouth with an unassertive bitterness that lingers gently on the palate, fading to a yeasty bready softness.

Feel is nice, medium bodied with a moderate mouth coating. Sticky without being heavy at all. Carbonation is very submissive, adding a lightness to the feel.

The more I drink, the more I want this beer. A very well moderated hop showcase, this beer is a great version of the style, with everything to love about an imperial IPA and very little of the overbearing intensity in some other IIPAs. Only drawback is the extremely well hidden 11%abv.

4.59/5  rDev +12.8%

Eggshell head with nice lacing. Color approaches a clear, rosy honey. The smell is invigorating; plenty hoppy but light, citrusy and sweet like some kind of beer flower. The taste delivers; filling, but not too heavy. Flavors contain the scents but add both sweetness and warming hop bitterness. My favorite IPA.

4.59/5  rDev +12.8%

Holy shit! Smell equals sterilization; pure hops! This beer is quite a bit like Stone's Ruination. However, unlike the Ruination, as hopy as this beer smells and tastes, It is certainly well balanced with a range of spices, and isn't offensive to any part of the pallet, including the back of the tongue; it is very even. This beer is good from sip one and thus has little room to get better as you drink; it doesn't "grow" on you. Watch-out scout, there's plenty of EtOH.

4.59/5  rDev +12.8%

I finally had a chance to try this tremendous IIPA and it does not disappoint.

Nice clear, medium dark amber coloring with excellent lacing that hangs out to nearly the last drop.

A very pungent grapefruit and fruity aroma with a hint of pine and plenty of hops that attack the senses and is synonymous with a good IIPA.

The taste has a nice hoppy bite and again the grapefruit is there with plenty of spice to back it up. A hint of alcohol lingers but is nothing you would expect from an 11% abv. overall very nice.

Mouthfeel is the most exciting part as all the flavors bite at once and has a kind of spicy aftertaste which I really like.

This is overall an excellent beer and I highly recommend to anyone looking for a true "Unearthly" hop experience.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: Pours a rosy amber color. It is suprisingly clear. A nice dollop of white head sits in the middle surrounded by thin whispy head.

Aroma: Piney, tree sap, some grapefruit. Vanilla scent in the background?

Taste: Piney bitter taste, sweet marshmallow, vanilla notes in the background. Nice balance of bitterness and just the right amount of sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Exceptionally smooth. The smoothness D.I.P.A. I have evr had. Light to medium carbonation.

Drinkability: I could drink these all night. Taste better then most D.I.P.A.'S that cost twice as much. I will buy this again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a ruby orange with a nice retaining head and lacing. Steady carbonation. Smell is of nice, fresh hops. Mostly piney with a sweet malt background. Taste is much of the same. It reminded me of a 90 Minute with less candy sweetness and more hop presence. Very good balance. Mouthfeel is almost sticky and resinous. Not overly bitter on the tongue and not too sweet from the malt. Lively carbonation as well. It's probably the most well rounded and drinkable Imperial IPA I've had to date. Nothing stands out too much but it's all about balance with this one. It was truly love at first sip and left me wanting much more.

Thanks to OWSLEY069 for the bomber!

4.6/5  rDev +13%

A: Beautiful dark copper colour, crystal clear with a decent head

S: Dominating hop aromas coming from this one, just a huge blast

T: Hops hit the tongue first with a nice fruity flavour. hop bitterness follows with a bit of alcohol warmth, surprisingly mild in terms of alcohol considering it's 11% actually. Toasted grains come in with a sweetness that lingers and blends with a bitter hop finish. Beautiful balance on display here, not too bitter and not too sweet, just huge flavours working together.

M: soft and smooth, medium body with just enough carbonation to bring out all the flavours

D: No doubt this beer packs a wallop, and it'll almost certainly tire out my taste buds. not much use switching to another beer afterwards either since next to this it'll taste like water.

On tap at Zeno’s in State College, PA
A: Hazy, vibrant, slightly ruddy amber with a small, off-white, foamy head that quickly diminishes to a lasting film. Good lacing.
S: VERY inviting hops aromas. Pine with orange and grapefruit. Very mild malt presence.
T: An initial quick zip of malty caramel sweetness, which is soon joined by the intense hops flavors of pine and citrus. They stay in excellent balance (especially for the style) until the hops flavors and bitterness take over on the finish. Some warming alcohol on the finish as well.
M: Full body, dry texture, moderate-low carbonation
D: This is a very good double IPA. A hop bomb of wonderful flavors but with an excellent balance, something that is too often way off with this style. I loved this beer and would definitely have it again. Worth seeking out.

4.61/5  rDev +13.3%

I'll admit, I tried this one only because it listed exactly what went into making the beer on the label and I figured if they went to the trouble to spell it all out it is probably good.

Luckily I was right, this is a fantastic beer, one of the very best IPAs I've ever tasted.

The beer pours our a light copper color with a two finger head in a the hotel highball glass. I know, wrong glass ... I'm traveling give me a break ;) Nothing that blows me away about the way it looks but nothing that puts me off either. Decent lacing.

The smell is where this beer grabbed my attention. The hops are right there up front, but surprisingly so was the malt. It was like a chorus instead of the solo. For 11% there isn't much alcohol smell. This is a good/bad thing depending on your point of view, good to me. I did drink this quite a bit warmer than most would, so I might have had an especially big aroma hit.

Taste was just as balance and harmonious as the smell. Plenty of the malty sweet goodness tempered out by the bitter, oily hops.

I hate to rate drinkability at only a 4, but realistically this beer kicks your butt in a hurry. More than one of these and this review would have been a whole lot harder to type ;)

It is a little pricey, but I don't regret the purchase one bit. I will likely buy again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Southern Tier Unearthly is an amazing DIPA. Strongly hoppy but not overly bitter. The high ABV isn't notable. The malty base is delicious.

A: Orange colour and a 5 mm head that lasts quite well. Good lacing. 4.5

S: Sweet malt and fragrant floral hops. Amazing. 5

T: Malty and sweet with strong grassy hops. Amazingly hoppy but not overly bitter. This is really delicious. 4.5

M: Foamy. 4.5

O: 4.5

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden amber with a two finger head that dissipates slowly leaving a solid cap. Shows a lot of initial carbonation.

Great hops/grapefruit nose. Not overpowering, well balanced.

Ah yes the hops, great taste, again well balanced for this style. Not bitter, not overpowering. Alcohol is well hidden.

Smooth and relatively light in the mouth compared to some other DIPA's.

Very drinkable stuff, despite the ABV; or should I say in spite of?

4.62/5  rDev +13.5%

Viggo hooked me up with this one. thanks eric!

pours a nice golden amber colour with a huge tan head. head drops slowly and leaves lots of rocky lace behind.

aroma is great. major hop attack. grapefruit and pine. nice malty sweetness behind the hops. alcohol hidden well.

taste is great. really nice pine and grapefruit hop flavour. resiny bitterness. bitterness is high, but works well. great bready and biscuity malt. caramel, but not overly sweet. wow. if i didn't know this was 11% i'd swear it wasn't above 8%. very well balanced.

mouthfeel is great. nice body, good carbonation level.

drinkability is dangerously good. as i said above, so well balanced you'd never know it is more than 7 or 8%abv. really great beer and a definite treat for the hopheads out there.

4.62/5  rDev +13.5%

Bottle I think I purchased in Jungle Jims in Ohio.
Think it may be 3 yrs old?! The paint is coming off the bottle.

Heavy body, gentle pour. Surprised to see a respectable head. Dark, creamy. But not stable. Carbonation enough to make a pudding top.

Potent. Bitter, smooth, burnt thing. Stunning.
Mouth watering. Dry and warming.
Long lasting bitter flavors. Natural mouth numbing.

Hard drink, great flavors, but challenging to drink.

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company