Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: John on 02-24-2006

Reviews: 1,195 | Hads: 2,904
2.96/5  rDev -27.5%

Interesting... I love their trip and it's one of their lowest rated beers whereas this one is rated much higher and, well, it just doesn't do it for me. My biggest complaint is the underattenuation - on the order of an English barleywine, you know? Other than that... I guess I'd like to see it a bit more bitter. I do have to say that blended with another beer this was freaking amazing. As it is... Not quite.

Again, months later. Tastes... Just not very interesting. You really don't notice the alcohol, FWIW. But... It's just not there. Way too light in color and flavor for me for a DIPA. It seems a lot like Loose Cannon - maybe I should try these side by side? Of course, if they are, indeed, at all similar I'd much rather have the Loose Cannon, of course. Getting the same flavor and intensity out of a beer for 4% less ABV is a feat, IMO. (849 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -27.5%

A: dark amber color, with a slight reddish hue. After pouring the head formed up high and fizzed down with vigorous carbonation, but the remnant head is more creamy looking, a light amber color.

s: smells extremely malty and sweet, almost too sweet. there is also lots of alcohol in the aroma, not a whole lot of hops in the nose. mostly smells like malts, raisins, and alcohol.

t: intense malt sweetness up front, a little woody, and very boozy. there is a tinge of bitter hop flavor but it's just swept to the side by the overpowering combo of heavy malt and alcohol.

m: heavy, boozy, syrupy: not all that drinkable (i split this bomber with a friend and it's taking me 20 min to drink 11oz)

o: i really don't know what to say about this one. it's really expensive, and all my friends that have had this beer have said such great things about it. and honestly it was a huge let down. i think the oaked version of unearthly is far far better, and even gemini is much better. but if you're going to buy any southern tier beer ipa, get the 2x IPA. i haven't tried their regular ipa, but i've had all the others and the 2x is WAY better than all these small batch bombers. this one was definitely the least hoppy, somehow the oaked version tastes that much different. (1,270 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -27.5%

a- bottle poured into a snifter, nearly two fingers of head, slight haze warm chesnut coloring.

s- warm biscuit, strong, some pine, light citrus.

t- this is a strong one, sappy pine, earthy hops come through, some huff and burn here as well, i wish the alcohol was a bit more hidden.

m- medium, coating, slick.

d- not the best, the alcohol isn't well hidden here. i was a bit disappointed here. (398 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -27%

Far too malty and sweet for my tastes, but it's smooth and has a rich flavor that some will enjoy. But for those who like big hop bombs this is a much more malt-forward approach to a DIPA. It's not bad at all, just not what I'm generally looking for in a DIPA. (260 characters)

22 oz. bomber.

pours out a hazed bronze/copper colour. thin light tan head with accompaning slim lace. malty aroma...brown sugar, toffee and caramel. spicy hops are subdued, and i can detect a whiff of alcohol. flavour profile is malt forward with a good deal of spicy bitterness and boozy punch. the problem is since there are freshness dates on these ST bombers, i don't know how old this bottle is and the nuances i'm getting from this beer is that's it's definitley past it's prime. wet cardboard and apparent oxidation are prevalent, but i'll do my best to pick out some accentuating characteristics. besides the muddled sweet maltiness, a beer with an agressive hopping schedule should have a much more vibrant hop profile and all i get is some spiciness and bitterness. no real hop flavour to be had. full bodied but it has a slick and slippery mouthfeel. drinkability suffers becasue in my opinion this is not what i should be tasting.

overall this is a disappointment because it's obviously old or bad in some way. i'll try to get another review done with a fresher bottle. (1,084 characters)

I drank this from a 22oz bottle into a Rochefort glass.

The beer is a medium oily orange, showing light brown in the light. The head is a very light tan that doesn't rise even a finger and is gone quickly. The lacing is also light.

The aroma is light for a dipa with a light citrus on the front with some alcoholy/soapy/hops on the back end.

The taste is light on the front with sweetness but then you are hit strongly with lots of alcohol and hops. The alcohol is too strong and distracting with too much pine, alcohol and soap.

The mouthfeel heavy but not a crisp drink.

The drinkability is limited by the alcohol.

Overall this is a pretty weak dipa. The appearance is boring, the aroma is light, and the taste is distracting. (736 characters)

Poured into a snifter. No dates on it so can't say how fresh or not it is. Looks decent, if thick. And thick it is. I spilled a drop or two, my hand were sticky :-/

Aroma is malty, somewhat hoppy and just heavy. It's not bad but doesn't appeal much to me. Taste is similar... very sweet and quite bitter. Thick, cloying, boozy. It's big, not meant in a good way. (363 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -26.2%

A - This beer has a dark copper color and pours with almost no head at all.

S - Smells of malt, honey and pine.

T - I wasn't completely impressed with the taste. When I poured the beer, it looked delicious, but the taste is kind of bland. I taste more alcohol than hop flavor. If this beer tasted like it smelled, we would be in business.

M - Nice carbonation, but the beer consistency is a little syrupy, especially after it warms a bit.

O - Not a bad beer by any means, but I don't think I would purchase it again. I prefer my DIPA to have more hops and less syrupy sweetness. There are a lot better DIPA's out there. (623 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A-Pours a golden/amber color with a one finger off white head that fades quickly and leaves little lacing.

S-Pine and citrus hops with a stronger than expected malt presence.

T-Sweet malt seems to override the hops. Pine and citrus hops are evident but overwhelmed by the sweet maltiness. Way to sweet and malty for the style, and not hoppy enough.

M-Medium body with a strong carb bite, a bit sticky.

D-I had trouble finishing the bomber. Not very drinkable.

Love everything I had tried so far from Southern Tier, but this one was a miss. I won't be having this one again. (578 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -24.5%

Sampled from a 22oz bottle in a standard pint glass.

A - Copper with great clarity and a small beige head. Very attractive.

S - Very piney with notes of grass, peat and oak.

T - Very piney with intense hop oils and a firm kick of alcohol. This beer is very rich; too rich in fact. I love IPAs & DIPAs but this one seems too focused on packing a punch and not enough on delivering good flavor.

M - Oily and thick with a nice low carbonation.

D - Not one for me. After struggling through the first half, I poured it. This one's proof that bigger isn't always better. (569 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -24.3%

Appearance: Copper in color, bright and perfectly clear. Head retention is great for an 11% beer, leaving plenty of lace sticking to the glass.

Smell: Citrusy, floral hops over a substantial malt backbone. You can tell from the first whiff that this is going to be heavy stuff.

Taste & mouthfeel: And heavy it is. Oily hops, an enormous malt backbone and stratospheric ABV make for an extremely heavy DIPA - this stuff is downright syrupy. There's quite a bit of fresh hop flavor here, but the malt base is right up there with it, creating a pleasant bittersweet flavor that leans toward the bitter in the finish. Not my preferred style of DIPA, but not bad.

Notes: Received from Dyan in a recent trade; thanks! (714 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -24%

I was really excited about this one, but I should have known at 11% it would be a little too much for me.
Nice copper amber pour with a nice white smooth head that sticks well.
Beatiful aroma of pine and floral hops, nice aromatics coming from the malt also.
Taste at first is alchohol (sorry just an offputting flavor for me when it comes to beer). This is more of a barleywine than a IIPA, but I do detect some of the citrus notes from the hops as well as a decent malt sweetness.
Mouthfeel is alchohol burn, but smooth once that is gone. For the price (same as Hoppe) there are better options IMO.

On to the ÜberSun (620 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -23.8%

A lightly tanned, heady beer awaits my embrace. It's a light brown, copper color--like a penny from the 80s dulled from years of regular circulation. A solid surface of lacing marks the path of the foam's descent. This beverage certainly looks appealing.

The aroma from my glass isn't overly impressive. I was expecting a hop slam of sorts--not Hop Slam, but you know what I mean. I smell a balanced malt beverage. Hops are undoubtedly present, but absent is the distinct aroma of amarillo or simcoe. Instead, this particular hop combo just sort of blends the malts and wheat that comprise the beverage. It's odd because it's interesting without offering much character.

Southern Tier does a great job labeling specific ingredients, and I'd certainly be shy about calling out a caramel-type malt, but that's the taste that strikes me first. I similarly taste the red wheat. Where most (hoppy) beers have a malt backbone to counter the bittering hops, this one's got hops to counter the caramelized malts and the red wheat influences. I don't really want that from an IPA.

The hops taking a relative backseat hurts the mouthfeel. I fail to appreciate any textures the pale malt or wheat bring to the table. The caramalt sweetness is just okay, and--again--not really what I'm looking for from an IPA. My take on drinkability aligns with basically every other reaction to this beer--it's okay at best. For an $8.50 bomber, it simply doesn't cut it. (1,452 characters)

Original Rating Date:
September 6, 2008

Super heavy hops in the aroma. Small fizzy head, super hoppy, a little flat carbonation wise. Tastes of soap as well. Enjoyable but it seems that 2IPAs are either hit or miss with me, this isn't one of the better ones that I've had. (273 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -23.5%

Poured into a "fluted" glass as the bottle recommends (in this case a white wine glass).

One finger white head. Amber with some honey in color. Spotty foam resides to a ring of foam around the glass with a patch in the middle. Head tightness and retention are good.

Smells of honey and toffee. Floral hops, mint and zesty citrus.

Taste is of honey, toffee, bitter resin, dank, and zest. Hops come through as mostly floral, there is spearmint in there as well. Nice bitterness, but pretty malt forward.

Fairly thick and full bodied. Tight aggressive carbonation. Big hop bite on the end.

A solid east coast DIPA. Hard to get through a bottle. (646 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -23.5%

bomber at 52 degrees into goblet.
Aroma of flowery hops
Head small (1.5 cm), white, rocky, mostly quickly diminishing to narrow ring with a lump of bubbles floating the center
Lacing poor, just small clumps here and there
Body light orange, clear, slightly sparkling
Flavor begins moderately bitter with no malt or diacetyl
Flavor ends astringent with slight alcohol afterburn
Medium body, slightly oily, carbonation soft.

The lack of sustainable head and poor lacing lower the appearance for me, while the long hangtime for the astringency lowers the repeat drinking appeal.
First tried this DIPA back in 2009, retried now at my brother in law’s insistence (his current favorite beer).
Don’t really notice that it’s any better; not a drain pour, still just eh to ok. (774 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -23%

22oz bomber from D'Vines for $8. Poured into a DFH snifter.

Appearance (4): A very clear, dark copper with a fat finger of light cream head. The foam reduces to an uneven, medium thick layer with lacing all the way around the glass. Not much lacing besides at the top.

Aroma (2.5): Not a huge aroma but it's still pretty cold. Faint notes of grapefruit mix with pine and a dark caramel. Once it warms up, it's a sweet mango and a strong, oily and resinous caramel. You can really tell it's going to be extremely bitter.

Taste (3.5): Very strong resinous hops and thick caramel right off the bat. Intense flavor compared to the less than impressive aroma. A strong bitterness hits in the middle and works well to cover up a lot of residual sweetness. The bitterness mingles with the sweet caramel in the finish. This is a good example of a big East Coast DIPA, but I like the style much more when it's dry and less balanced.

Mouthfeel (3): A bit slick, cloying, and bitter. Full bodied and low carbonation which is appropriate. The finish really lingers, especially the sweetness, and is a bit coating.

Overall (3): A bit too sweet - borderline cloying - as well as bitter. They even each other out, but the hops aren't really showcased here; it's mostly an interplay between the bitterness and sweetness. I'd like to try this a bit fresher on tap. (1,357 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.8%

A: Clear Amber with a white head.

S: Malty sweet. Earthy hops.

T: Malty sweet with a grassy earthy hop character and a decent hop bitterness that didn't overwhelm.

MF: on the lighter side. moderate carbonation.

D: although the ABV is masked very well in the beer, I give it a low rating because this beer gave me a hangover for whatever reason. The night before I drank this beer I drank Stone's Old Guardian and was perfectly fine. It may just be me though. I bought this beer for $3 a 22oz. not a bad price. (513 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -22.5%

Tried this and maybe I expected too much or too much hops but this was way sweeter then I expected and no hop bitterness... Good drinkable beer tasty sweet but not at all what I was expecting when I bought this... Love IPA's and bitterness was really hoping for something that punched me in the mouth bitter and just didn't happen (330 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -22.5%

Poured from a 22ounce bomber into a St. Bernardus large wine glass/goblet.? Read 11.0 abv on the back, not 9.5. No freshness date.

A- Dark orange amber in color, very thin white head with little retention on the glass.

S- Smelled mostly like a very strong malt bomb with hops in the background.

T- This was very sweet. Very malty, lots of caramel, hoppy and a little bitter but the sweetness was overpowering. Alcohol is well hidden. It was a little spicy.

M- Very thick, a bit syrupy with little carbonation.

O- Not great. I have been wanted to try this for a while. It's not a bad beer but the sweetness was just too much for me. Old bottle maybe? (658 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -22.1%

Orangish-brown and hazy brew with thick, light tan head. Plenty of lacing with this one.

Smell is sweet with spicy hops and a tad musty.

Malt flavor is way overdone for the style. Hits the palate with an intensely sweet caramel flavor that carries well into the aftertaste. Hops make an appearance with an old herbal character and are overpowered by the syrupy malt. Finishes dry and makes me thirsty like I just ate some melted caramel.

Feel is viscous and syrupy with low carbonation. Not my thing.

To be fair, I do not think this is a bad beer. It is just not what I was expecting out of a DIPA. It did not taste fresh and was lacking in hop flavor. I wonder if I got an old bottle. (689 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -22.1%

Tried this beer on-tap at The Black Squirrel in Adams Morgan last night. It was a good-looking beer.. nice 2" cream head atop a reddish caramel body. The smell was of grain, hops, sugar, and spice - black pepper perhaps, with a touch of honey and grapefruit. The taste was a lot more bitter than I would have expected. I found it too bitter for my taste, although I consider myself a bit of a hop head. It was similar to Stone's IPA, but less balanced. I'd have it again, but it wasn't my favorite for this style. (513 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -22.1%

Acquired via trade...thanks Tom. 22 ounce bomber poured into a snifter. No bottling info is given. Comes in at 11%.

A-Pours a clear amber with some pinkish tones that are reminiscent of a rose. There are lots of bubbles that cling to the side and rise from the bottom. There is not that much of a head; it is more like a foamy ring with some slick, but the constant carbonation keeps it afloat throughout. Leaves some nice lace.

S-There is some definite caramel malt that gives it a pretty strong level of sweetness. I also get bubblegum, tropical fruit, and mint. As it warms it becomes a little more floral and earthy.

T-It is very thick and reminds me of a mango flavored cough syrup. The caramel malt that was apparent on the nose is also apparent in each sip, resulting in a sugary taste. The booze is evident in the back of the mouth. I wrote in my notes that it was like alcohol soaked hops. I do get some bitter grapefruit in between sips and some pine comes through after it has been in the glass for awhile.

M-Thick, syrupy, sugary, and sticky. The everlasting head does give it some smoothness.

D-Way too thick for my palate.

This one was too thick and boozy for me. There are just so many good WC IPAs that I would have to give this one a pass. I would give it another shot fresh from the tap. (1,312 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -22.1%

Pours a clear, deep orange, with two finger cream colored head, fades to a half inch, leaving decent clumps of lace. Smell: well the first thing that jumps out is the gobs of caramel, backed by some light melon and tropical fruit. Malt-forward eh? Taste: sweet caramel and sweeter caramel. Herbal and slight citrus bitterness. Definitely not balanced, and it's leaning the opposite way that I'd like it to. Smooth and syrupy feel, but this is way too sweet to enjoy a full bomber.

So far, ST has been striking out on DIPAs. Hoppe and Unearthly are both massive malt bombs. Not particularly excited about trying Gemini now.

Interesting that the abv has apparently been creeping up on this one. ST website lists 9.8, BA 10.0, and the bottle 11.0%. Making this beer bigger in the wrong way... more hops please. (810 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -21.8%

This beer pours a golden color, with a thick and fluffy white head. The head fades slowly, leaving a nice lacing.

This beer has a very intense aroma. Alcohol up front. Some strong citrus notes. Very sweet also. Maybe some spicy aroma as well, kind of like what I would get from a Belgain Stong Pale.

This beer tastes like it smells. Very intense with the alcohol present upfront. Citrus grapefruit flavor with a very sweet finish. Spicy too.

This beer is very full bodied. It leaves a sweet aftertaste. It is almost too sweet. The alcohol warms on the way down.

This beer wouldnt make a good session beer. It is high in alcohol, and the aggressive flavor is a bit much.

Overall: Thanks to inlimbo77 for this beer. Although it isnt my favorite, I was glad to have tried it. (778 characters)

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company