Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: John on 02-24-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

4.68/5  rDev +15%

A- awesome hazy unfiltered looking apricot orange. This one looks beautiful in the tall, gracefully shaped stone levitation silver rimmed tulip. The foam is remarkable. It has the color and texture of whipped butter (like if you put cream in a jar and shake it) and the lace is just shoooo all over the place all drippy and sticky and whatnot. Haven't seen anything finer and this review is bound to be full of extraterrestrial and supernatural metaphors.

S- this one has the ideal nose to suit my standard for a DIPA. It's got that stellar marshmallow toffee wonderbong, baby!!!! Run through goldings in the hop back? Whaaaat?!?! Usually can't go wrong with 3 of the C's IMO and the nose is full of unexpected creamy fruits and berries like melon and strawberry with undertones of sweet pipe tobacco, vanilla, cedar, mushroom and cured hardwood. When cold, the hops really only come through in a lemony orange dish soap kinda way but as the beer warms just a bit watch out.. Grapefruit, peach, pear, mango, passion fruit, tropical outer space madness-- but not at all harsh and nostril ripping. Fermented tartness like full sour dills with a coriander spice note add another sprightly layer to what is already an amazing aroma.

T- so as my beard nears the lip of the glass and my lips protrude toward it, I begin to feel some apprehension, as if this beer will be so hoppy that it will slaughter me, leave me on the floor twitching in ghastly agony, aware of my former existence but unable to return to it. So I take a small sip and feel the sting. Just a precursor, I say to myself, just like licking the cut half of a scotch bonnet just to see what you're in for. Then a full and hearty draught. This is actually quite tame! And balanced! And, at first maybe even a little too sweet! My dog, laying at my feet raises her almond eyes to me and then adjusts her position into a big curled up ball, as if a cold wind had suddenly blown through the dining room. The beer is sweet. Very sweet and woodsy and burboun barrelish. Toffee and cashew brittle. Caramel and obnoxious fun. Very fresh barley malt with a tart fermented edge, same as the aroma with subtle hints of caraway and the creamy light nuttiness of pinoli with brown sugar and faint sweetened peanut butter. Then sha-BAM, POW, WAP! Hi, I'm the hop poltergeist and I'm here to f#%k your shit up. Spiraling into another dimension, I try to grasp the concept of, and ultimately put into words, how the hops transform the cloying sweetness into a balance that the scales of Themis would struggle to achieve. I, however can tell you who the perpetrator is: chinook. His astringent bitterness long outlasts the sugary malt and the wonderful tropical pineapple grapefruit orange like mango 'fruity' hops and rasps away any sweetness that is brave enough to linger. Hell, there's even hints of motor oil. But there IS NOT any trace of alcohol.

MF- this other struggle happens in the feel. There's a slickness, an oily alpha acid tongue roughening numbing bitterness altogether with sugary somethings and cheek drying alcohol. No burn in the chest, no sense of sipping a cocktail, only the buzzing of your body and the awareness in your mind that you've damn near written a novel to review a beer. Lip stickiness I can feel my mustache and beard hairs sticking together. I feel proud.

D- overall, southern tier is my new favorite American brewery, at least for its imperial series. I'm embarrassed at how many times I've passed them by. Unearthly, mokah, java, creme brulee, and pumking all deserve a plot of land on the moon. Or mars, whichever we get to first. The play of sweet on bitter here astounds me. Like I don't know whether to 5 it or not. BUT-- if there's question, it must not be the one. Damn close though.

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

Consumed 10/13/12

Appearance: Dark orange, with some red highlights - decent size white head, leaves some nice spots of lacing - very clear

Smell: Hoppy and malty - lots of citrus - not particularly distinct - oranges and grapefruits - sweet, oily pine - caramel and amber malts - very sweet, as unfortunately expected - leafy mint

Taste: Sweet and hoppy - somewhere between a DIPA and an imperial amber - sweetly malty with lots of caramel and amber malts - biscuits with powdered sugar - overripe oranges and sweet grapefruits - oily pine and mint - about as sweet as fruit punch, with about average bitterness, and some booze

Mouthfeel: On the heavy side of medium, nicely carbonated, a bit cloying but not awful

Overall: Good, better than I expected

Southern Tier has earned quite a reputation for making some really sugary beers. Personally, I think this works for some of their stouts. But I was dreading Unearthly. To my surprise, this is more pleasant that I remembered. Yes, it's overly sweet, but it's worth a try.

4.6/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz into a fluted glass

Color is a beautiful light amber/copper, with a nearly-white, fairly thick head. Disperses fairly quickly, but leaves behind some beautiful lacing.

Aroma is strongly hoppy - woody, citrusy, and beautiful. Slight alcohol aroma, but mostly hops, with a little bit of sweetness for balance.

Flavor is bitter, with huge hop flavor - pine and grapefruit are the strongest characteristics. Some good sweetness to attempt to balance, but that's not happening. There's a slight bit of alcohol flavor that comes through at the end.

Mouthfeel is full, with low to medium carbonation, and some alcohol warmth.

Overall, a great imperial IPA, and I hope to see it on tap somewhere soon.

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

DOB:09/04/12 (one month old), 22 0z. bottle poured into a ST Tulip
A- Off-white 1.5 finger head forms,slightly cloudy, amber/reddish in color, some decent retention and little lacing
S- Caramel malts, pine and a little cherry and tropical citrus, aroma reminds me of GL Nosferatu with some pine added, alcohol as it warms
T- Nice caramel malt sweetness, a nice sharp bitterness, resinous pine, flavors linger in mouth
M- Full and creamy, coats the mouth, carbonation carmael sweetness and a lot of bitterness hit the tongue and linger nicely
O- A really nice IIPA, alot of balanced flavor with a sharp hoppy bite to it, I recomenend any IPA fan to try this one

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company