Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: John on 02-24-2006

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,837 | Reviews: 1,192
3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured into standard pint glass from 22oz.

Settles amber, with a creamy thick head. Smell is not as aromatic as I hoped, but it is pungent. Lots of malt/honey/faint hops. Tastes similar to its smell, not much going on as far as hops, loads of malt and a decent alcohol burn. Overall, it was pleasant and I would drink it again if it were readily available.

4.85/5  rDev +19.2%

A&S - Pours a vivid gold, kinda hop hazy, with tons of soapy off white head. Smells a lot of orange and pineapple, with hops and alcohol at the end.

T&M - Starts off sticky and sweet, lots of pineapple and citrus, gets crisper and crisper, nice hop transition towards the end with some slight alcohol notes on the finish of this wonderful medium bodied beer, how is this 9.5%?

O - Get yourself a designated driver, this stuff is dangerously good.

I've had this stuff in the fridge for 2 weeks and its a shame I didn't open it sooner. Its a magnificent beer, and dare I say it, competes with 90 Minute. Its unbelievable how deceptive this is, they should have named it "Really Hot Transvestite." Enough with the kid, go buy this stuff now, its unbelievable and really gets me thinking about the Brewery and its Oak Aged Unearthly. I gave the mouthfeel a 4.5 cause my first sip told me the malt was too much, don't let it do the same to you its very well balanced. Can't wait to get my hands on some of the highly anticipated Pumking. Enjoy this responsibly, and stay thirsty my friends!

A: Golden orange.white head w some lacing.

S: Fruity...apricots and citrus...mmm...malty...little alcohol note.

T: Fruity and malty....yumm....hops are there..but not too overpowering ...you hear them more in the aftertaste.

M: Smooth and creamy ...a little gravity here...not weak

O: Very nice beer. Not a booming IPA...but still different. Fruity, citrus, Malt, hops...good combo..not a drink a bunch of these beer..but one of the bombers split between friends is a great conversation piece....

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

a-pours a hazy gold color with a half inch of slightly off-white head that sinks gradually leaving some nice lacing. looks like a DIPA should really

s-lots of citrus, mostly grapefruit and orange peel. also lots of biscuity malt and some caramely sweetness.

t-very similar to the nose. initially there is some hoppy citrus, again with the grapefruit and orange peel, then backed up by a huge amount of malty backbone. there is a lot of sweetness at the end.

m-a lot of body for your standard DIPA. a nice oily resin feel on the finish as well. carbonation is not very heavy at all. abv is not noticeable either, considering its 9.5%. A very balanced mouthfeel between the bitter hops and the sweeter malt.

overall, I love this beer. I am from the camp that likes there DIPA balanced and not a complete hop-bomb, and this fits the bill perfectly. One of the better DIPAs that I have found and for $9 a bomber, a pretty solid deal as well.

3.7/5  rDev -9.1%

A- 4 Golden color with a slight orange tint. Pretty transparent. Smooth, creamy looking off-white head. Smooth lacing as well, fairly sticky.

S- 4 Malt heavy with a caramel like backdrop, but with a definite citrus and hop presence. The fruity smell is reminiscent of both grapefruit and apricot.

T- 3.5 The malt makes its presence felt even further with the taste of this brew, and I'm left wishing for more of a hop bite to cut into it. I again get some caramel here, and it is pretty sweet overall.

M- 4 A bit on the creamy side for the style, but medium in body and not all that heavy. Smooth.

D- 3.5 I'm slightly disappointed with this ST offering; the 2XIPA is great, and so I had my hopes up. That said, it isn't bad by any means. It's just not what I was looking for in the style being so sweet and malt heavy. That said, it is still a quality brew and worth a shot. I'd probably just want one of the bombers in a sitting.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Head builds very nicely. Brew allows you to pour, but still gains nice head. Nice straw colored fluffy foamy rides atop the copper colored brew. Brilliant orange and yellows help translate the likes of a great looking brew. Decent lacing decorates the glass.

S - Very nice citrus. Orange, lemon, pineapple, and kiwi? Fantastic scent on this delightful looking brew. Not your typically DIPA bitter "funk".

T - WOW. Not a sugarbomb or a bitterbomb. One of the nicest DIPAs I've had... Silky smooth, phenomenal hop balance to bring this brew into a full no B.S. brew. At 9.5% I was expecting *some* heat, but it's mild and doesn't distract from the floral array of citrus.

M - Incredibly smooth and drinkable. No bitterness to speak of, not your typical flavors. A very well put together brew. Slightly under carbonated, but I would rather have poor carbonation than over carbonation.

O - Awesome brew! Great job ST! A must try if you have access. Uh, oh... This one's going down QUICK! Thanks for flipping this brew my way AndyAvalance!

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

I had this on tap at Cobblestone's -served chilled in a pils glass.

The color is amber bordering on copper, the clarity is good and the retention is very good with a sheet of lace sticking as the head retains well, the bead is fine. The smell is more like fruit than most imperial Ipa's I have had, sweet and slightly alcoholic in nose, but fruit with a very tropical quality-like Hawaiian punch, I am serious- it has a lot of pineapple odor. The feel is good, but starts bitter and moves into a sweet realm in the middle with resinous quality and finishes spicy with some residual sweetness and light alcohol element, but not off putting.

The flavor is good, but it seems to be bitter enough to shift toward the hops, but the malt presence in the taste gives the impression of balance -a nice fruity flavor from the hops, more citrus as it warms,but also more bitter and the taste of alcohol and spice comes forward too. There is a nice tropical element in this that seems outweighed by the caramel malt slightly which is unfortunate. I prefere a more dry Imperial IPA, but for this style I think this beer is very good. I consider it very drinkable considering the high 9.5% abv which is mostly hidden in the full malt and generous hop dosing in the flavor

4.39/5  rDev +7.9%

Growler into a tulip glass. Growler filled at a local growler store I've reviewed.

A: Amber color and a clean clear appearance. Small off white head with a heavy yellow lacing.

S: Vanilla, floral, and citrus aromas. Full nose.

T: There's a lot of flavor in this. Aged, floral hops, vanilla malts, and a grapefruit finish. Not very forward alcohol content.

M: Medium body with good carbonation. Very nice feel.

O: Very nice refreshing and complex taste with a well hidden high alcohol content. Very happy that this is lacking the Southern Tier 'show off our alcohol content' standard that has turned me away from a few of their other selections.

3.45/5  rDev -15.2%

Taken from notes on 3.31.11

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Medium orange in color, slightly hazy. The head is a darker cream color.

S - Wood, vanilla, and citrus.

T - Just like a hopped up vanilla flavored IPA.

D - Drinks a bit sweet, and very vanilla forward.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Had this a little while ago from a bottle and thought it was fantastic. Last summer I took a trip to the brewery and brought home a Growler of it. This beer pours out as a really great looking copper color with a creamy looking frothy head on it. The lacing is thick and sticky. The smell of this is of course hoppy, lots of pine and cirtus in the mix. The taste is very good for any IPA lover. The mouthfeel is sharp and tingley on the tongue. Truely a really good beer here. Looking forward to having this whenever I can.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 22oz bomber to a Duvel tulip. Split with my brother-in-law. As always with Southern Tier - no freshness date.

A: Wonderful amber color, crystal clear. Aggressive pour leads to a fluffy slightly off-white head that sticks around for probably 5 minutes or more. Slowly fading head leads to strong lacing that coats with the color of wood glue.

S: Strangely malt forward - but in a good way because the floral hops that follow are that much more welcome. Citrus hops round out the nose.

T: Wonderfully complex. This isn't the oak-aged unearthly (which I wasn't all that much of a fan of) but it tastes like it was aged in some sort of wood barrel. Flower hops find their way to my palate the most followed by the malt flavor (I assume it's the two-row shining here). Alcohol is not present.

M: Medium body, good carbonation, sticky bitterness in my mouth. Excellent feel.

O: Really nice beer that as long as I can know it is fresh, I will be certain to be purchasing again. A really really nice representation of a DIPA.

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

A: Orange copper color, that is clear. Not a whole lot of carbonation visible, but the head is about two fingers tall and shows no signs of going away. Definitive "chug" lacing marks.

S: A very strong citrus smell, much like apricots and oranges. It has a sweet floral scent as well, like lavender stems.

T: At first I taste a biscuit-like malt flavor. There's then a light puckery flavor of grapefruit. There's some oak flavor in there as well. No signs of alcohol which is great for 9.5%ABV.

M: The mouthfeel is medium-bodied with an average bitterness. There is a strange slickness that is disconcerting. Carbonation is just right. Overall I'd have to give it about average in respects to mouthfeel, because it is pretty average.

O: Overall I think this is a good imperial IPA. It's definately something I'd drink again and it does a superb job of hiding the alcohol. I don't think it's perfect though.

3.01/5  rDev -26%

A - This beer has a dark copper color and pours with almost no head at all.

S - Smells of malt, honey and pine.

T - I wasn't completely impressed with the taste. When I poured the beer, it looked delicious, but the taste is kind of bland. I taste more alcohol than hop flavor. If this beer tasted like it smelled, we would be in business.

M - Nice carbonation, but the beer consistency is a little syrupy, especially after it warms a bit.

O - Not a bad beer by any means, but I don't think I would purchase it again. I prefer my DIPA to have more hops and less syrupy sweetness. There are a lot better DIPA's out there.

3.91/5  rDev -3.9%

A- Pours a clear copper amber color with a one finger head that dissipates to leave some nice lacing that sticks to the side of the glass.

S- I smell sweet malt and barley right up front with a slight bit of hops as well.

T- It is very sweet right away with some caramel malt notes. The sweetness fades to leave a strong hop bitterness.

M- It has a medium mouthfeel that slightly sticks to the mouth.

O- This beer has a lot of very nice strong flavors that balance out nicely and it looks great when poured too.

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 22 oz. bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: Bright and deep golden orange with a huge white head that slowly fades into a thin white layer. Good amount of lacing around the glass.

Smell: Strong aroma of fruity hops consisting of grapefruit, orange, and lemon. A decent amount of caramel and toffee malts balance it out.

Taste: Strong burst of citrus and earthy hops with grapefruit, orange peel, lemon, and a hint of pineapple. Also some sweetness from the caramel and toffee malts. Plenty of bitterness but it is balanced well by the fruity sweetness and malts.

Mouthfeel: Medium to high body with a medium carbonation. Fairly creamy and smooth and the alcohol is hidden well.

Overall: A very good take on a DIPA.

Gorgeous coppery amber color, crystal clear, with nice rising bubbles, a two finger head with some staying power and great lacing.

Smell is of highly earthy malts, and lots of them, accented with a bold hops profile. It's very complex and hard to put your finger on, as the malts are so forward, but the aromatic hops are more subdued than you would expect. A bit strange, but nonetheless quite appealing aroma.

Taste is far hoppier than the smell, lots of hops going on here, with a very busy flavor profile. Floral and fruity hops flavors are forthright, along with an accenting background of pine and citrus. Malts are also bold and forward, adding to the high degree of complexity of this beer.

Full bodied with ample carbonation, noticeably oily on the tongue, somewhat sweet aftertaste, ample bitterness. Alcohol warming is obvious. Reminds me of hopslam, but with more malts. Great mouthfeel!

Overall it's pretty good, but less than spectacular. Still, a bomber of this is certainly more than a meal for most of your daily DIPA needs.

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

A- Pours a medium gold color w/ orange streaks. One finger cocoa head w/ quickly disappears. Excellent lacing and decent carbonation. This beer looks like it's glowing in my snifter- pretty cool. A real looker. Opaque in look as well.

S- Grapefruit, brown sugar, oranges, hops, malt. Very sweet on the nose, but nice- and fairly balanced for such a big beer. Nice nose, but not quite up to the appearance.

T- Very nice. Sweet, but the hops are much more forward in the taste than the nose. The fruit is still there, but more in the background than the nose. Big sweet brown sugar malt backbone on this one. A little too sweet for me. If the sweetness backed off just a tad, this would be a 4.5...

M- Very syrup-like but thinner consistency. Goes down extremely easy. At 11%, you want to sip this beer and enjoy it though. Very chewy, almost like toffee. Sweet finish, hops nowhere to be found on the aftertaste.

O- Totally solid, although I think I like the oak aged unearthly a bit better. The sweetness was just a touch too much for me. Still, this is a totally solid beer that I'm sure I'll look for in the future.

3.72/5  rDev -8.6%

While this beer was good, it completely through me off!

A: This beer was a nice golden copper color. The head retention was good, and it had nice lacing all the way down my glass.

S: It had a nice citrusy hop scent, but you also can smell the malty sweetness.

T: This is what totally threw me off! I expected a much stronger hop flavor and scent than I got once I poured into my glass. There is a strong malt flavor and sweet caramel flavor to this beer. I felt like the hop flavor was overpowered almost. While it was good, I would have enjoyed more bitterness, or more hop flavor and aroma. Even a little more citrus would have been nice to cut through the sweet.

M: Good carbonation and a nice chewy caramel mouthfeel.

This beer took me by surprise. I was expecting an unearhtly amount of hops, and instead I got an unearthy amount of chewy, caramely malt. I think if I would have gotten a better description before drinking it I would have been able to enjoy it more. Despite all that, it was good and had an interesting flavor.

4.17/5  rDev +2.5%

Southern tier unearthly ipa 9.5% abv

A There are dark amber hues with good carbonation and lacing, I assume. Please note that I drank this out of a bomber on a new jersey train so consider this entire review inherently flawed.

S There is a very herbal smell coming from the gaping bottle opening, again not a lot to comment due to north jersey laws and open container restrictions but the bouquet made its presence known to the front and side aisles. Hop bomb undetected by the TSA.

T There are very bold chinook and cascade notes that are more on the herbal earthy side than the bittering citrusy side. It reminds me of Dugana, if Dugana was all into doing 4H and riding horses. It is very drying but satisfying at the same time, like that show Damages with Glenn Close.
you
D This is very drinkable for the style with good heat on the palate and a big bite on the maltiness, but then again I drilled this like arctic circle oil in short order. So apparently, it goes down smoothely with little objection.

M This beer again is a little too chewy and malty for my tastes. Very whole milk character but if it had those hop notes with no underbody it would be like a size 0 girl with D breast implants, offcentered and unbalanced. A solid beer overall but mediocre for the ambitious style. I would buy it again, BUT I WOULDN’T BE EXCITED ABOUT IT.

Narrative: Daisy Michaels decided at age 15 that she had enough of the Deliverance church services that she had attended for years. Sure, for a child, people wretching and rolling in the aisles had a note of noble bitterness to it. However, after years and years of this behavior, the sad rancor in the room was just an overriding malaise. “ALL OF YOU CAEIUFH WREGHHHH BERRR!!!!” Daisy sighed as she held down a middle aged woman down with an outstretched blanket as she expelled her demons. “Wreghhhbleghhh-” to her right, the local librarian gagged and spit into a paper sack. Sure, it wasn’t the AVERAGE triumph of good over evil, but in the end it was still a type of grassy purity that came from a solid agrarian community.

3.2/5  rDev -21.4%

This beer has such a syrupy feel that it was hard to get past. I don't mind thickness at all, but when the flavors that stick around do not have any of the characteristics of good solid DIPA it makes it hard to take seriously. It just was not for me.

3.65/5  rDev -10.3%

A powerful IPA that's a bit on the sweet side.

Pours golden amber out of a 22-oz. bottle I picked up a while back at Tacoma Pipe and Tobacco and World Beers. Small head, but gives off a good hoppy aroma. Still, this is a strong one at 11% and you can smell the alcohol for sure. Not a bad tasting beer and the mouthfeel is fine, but the (not insubstantial) hop and malt are unfortunately not strong enough to balance out the powerful alcohol in this one as much as I'd like.

Not bad overall, but just a bit too much alcohol heat and sweetness for me to really be into.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Aroma is richly hoppy, almost evergreen, with a firm grapefruit undertone. It pours a nice orange amber with a fluffy and fairly persistent off-white head. Flavor is quite hoppy and slightly but pleasantly bitter, with a definite oak tone and more than a hint of grapefruit. Texture is rough and lively, leaving a nice tingle. Recommended to all "hop heads."

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look:
Bright copper with a frothy off white head.

Smell:
Despite the range of aromas, a bit milder than expected. Sweet grapefruit and hops, loads of caramel, and toast.

Taste:
An assault of citrus and floral hops, followed by a perfect balance of sweet caramel and toffee. Undertones of brown sugar and cereal compliment well. Southern Tier did a great job balancing this one.

Feel:
Creamy and smooth. A tad thick but good carbonation keeps that in check.

One of my new favorites of the style. Carefully toes the line between "just enough" and "too much".

3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

A: Pours an amber-bronze color with a very creamy, large ecru head that falls slowly to a thin lace covering. Solid amounts of sticky lace remain on the glass. Firmly above-average appearance for a DIPA.

S: Sweet, sugary grapefruit with a twinge of other tropical fruits and a hefty dose of alcohol. Rather sweet, malty nose for the style.

T&M: Loads of grapefruit and orange, with loads of caramel and burnt brown sugar. Finish is sugary with a twinge of dry, grassy hop flavor. It's rather tame and balanced for a DIPA, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The alcohol is hidden well, too. The brewing skill and stylistic conformity merits a 4, even though it's not quite up to my taste preferences for DIPAs. Mouthfeel is smooth and velvety, big, and very much to-style.

Overall, this is a well-crafted DIPA that hides its alcohol well and balances flavors nicely. However, it's a "middle road" that has a lot of malt balance and not as much explosive hop flavor as one would expect.

3.36/5  rDev -17.4%

First off many thanks to mdfb79 for knocking out one of my wants. Cheers!

Secondly, it is worth noting the info posted on this brew contradicts what is printed on the label. My bottle states this is an 11%ABV brew not 9.5%? And how is there no pic yet? Mysterious.

At any rate poured into a pint & looks like a bottling # on the bottom but no distinguishable dating.

A: Pours a slight hazy pale color with some lighter hues to it. Like that of spun caramel sugar. Nice 1 finger thick khaki white head formed with some respectable lacing.

S: Clean fresh water and ingredients are detected by nose and are dominated with a spicy hop aroma. Some faint hints of citrus come through but mostly that earthy spice hop scent.

T: Taste leaves a little bit more to be desired. No mistake this is a big brew with very rich caramel malt and toffee like flavors. While there is a nice spicy hop bitter bite there with some citrus and pine undertones. It finishes much sweeter. Like a spicy orange juice really.

M: Overall I would say the beer has a decent cream texture to it but pretty sticky on the palate and warming towards the end.

D: Dangerous. Most IPA's get too boozy for me once they hit 10% but this one I felt is masked quite well. Probably the best thing going for this brew...if it is in fact 11%. Very smooth at such a high ABV in my opinion. I was really searching for the ABV's in the beginning but it really only starts to warm the throat towards the end.

I think there is alot to be said about designing such a massive beer and maintaining the drinkability. And I can also really appreciate that I can taste the fresh water and ingredients used here. But in the end this one finishes on the sweet side and I would have liked to see a better marriage of the hops used. The spicy hop and sweet tofee malt flavors just kind of take over. Glad to have tried for sure though!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company