1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: John on 02-24-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,392 | Reviews: 1,163 | Show All Ratings:
CaptainOats

3.41/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 8/24/13

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Brooklyn snifter at home

A- Cloudy when first poured cold but the haze subsided for the most part. It clears up nicely to reveal a beautiful amber color. No lacing whatsoever

S- when cold I was getting a soapiness on the nose, it was a bit off putting. As it warmed up I started to get a lot of the malt sweetness on the nose. Just a bit of hops on the nose. I was really expecting more from the hops from an American imperial IPA.

T- I found the hops, must have been some early additions because the bitterness is there but i wish there was more in the nose. I do get some pine on the tongue and a lot of the malt and sweetness. It does cover up the alcohol well.

M- Not as chewie as some big IPAs I've had. I wish the carbonation lasted a bit longer.

O- not a bad beer but definitely not my favorite imperial IPA. Nice balance with the malt but I need more hops on the nose to score his higher. I can't blame it on age, it's less that 2 months old

10-26-2013 19:31:27 | More by CaptainOats
vcoggins

Pours a lite amber/copper color with a big off white head. Hops, light citrus, sweet malts on the nose. I love the sweet beers and this one hits the spot with malt sugary sweetened to balance the wonderful hops. The 9.5% ABV is there but not overpowering but is warming as it goes down. I really like this beer.

10-20-2013 23:37:35 | More by vcoggins
a0lbudman

Alabama

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-dark gold color with a small head that still laced the glass
S- floral and hops
T-hops with a hops aftertaste that warms then turns dry
M- medium carbonation and medium body
O-great way to start the saturday football day out. Bought a 12 pack of Southern Tier varity looking foward to to next one

10-20-2013 11:13:19 | More by a0lbudman
thecheapies

3.69/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle with no freshness date.

I decidedly poured Unearthly into a pint glass. I didn't get much of a head, at all, disappointingly so. Orange-amber for a color with some haziness. Not the prettiest beer, after all.

Even the non-oak-aged version has a woodiness to the nose from big dry hop bitterness. Big dank notes of orange and red grapefruit and pine with efficiency considering a hefty malt backbone of caramel and toast and hints of brown sugar. Resinous citrus steals the show; no subtleties of grassiness or floral notes. Just big thick slices of familiar hop fruit.

Stinging booze, beefy caramel, and dank orange-y citrus. Notes of grapefruit and pine are also very prominent. It has a hoppy juiciness that I like, but it's still pretty malty sweet. Tastes not unlike many American barleywines that I have had, but just beefed-up. Toastiness isn't huge, but it's obvious. There's a note of dried apricot, too. Booze is pretty big, from the top. You can tell that it intends to be big all the way through.

A little tacky from the residual sweetness. The booze is happy strong, too. Relatively appropriate, considering the style, and Unearthly's take on it. Still, it compromises drinkability. The body has some oiliness in the way that it exceeds the standard for heft. A decent drink.

A beastly DIPA, but I prefer 2XIPA from Southern Tier. To each their own, I suppose.

10-15-2013 03:30:08 | More by thecheapies
BarryMFBurton

Indiana

3.89/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I’ve wanted to try this for a while now, but the lack of a bottle date made me uneasy. I’ve been told this should be fresh, though, so I decided to finally spend the money. Cheers!

A: Crystal-clear copper body under an offwhite head; the cream stands at an inch before dropping to nothing. Small amount of lacing around the glass’ interior.

S: The typical DIPA smack of caramel and pine sap indicate that this is a dense, sugary beer. Additional undertones of grape jam, maraschino cherry, butterscotch, and shredded wheat cereal.

T: Smoothly sweet with dominant tastes consisting of marshmallow, cream cheese frosting, and caramel. Hops aren’t as forward as expected; unable to pierce the veil of residual sugars, they provide only a spattering of pepper, lemon-lime, and grapefruit tastes. The finish is quite syrupy, but with a fruity hint of grape.

M: The best part about this beer is its soft and foamy texture, its heavy body that’s nonetheless creamy and largely inoffensive. Alcohol is well hidden, too, even though the carbonation is quite light.

O: This is a quintessential American DIPA; you can tell that the hop and malt bills were tweaked by true craftsmen to create a bold, balanced experience. I’ll admit that it’s a little too sweet for me to finish an entire bottle on my own, but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s quite tasty overall.

10-14-2013 23:11:36 | More by BarryMFBurton
justintcoons

3.53/5  rDev -13.5%

On-tap into a tulip.

Appearance
Rusty amber with 1 finger of off-white head. Good retention and decent clarity.

Nose
Fruity Pebbles, pine, lemon and caramel.

Taste
Fruity Pebbles, lemon pith and pine needles. Notes of grapefruit and orange zest. Rich caramel malts with notes of toffee.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, slick and sticky.

Overall
It's a decent DIPA. Pretty heavy on the maltiness. Nothing to go out of your way for.

10-12-2013 20:14:32 | More by justintcoons
barczar

Kentucky

3.84/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a slightly hazy deep copper with a frothy cream head that lingers.

Resin, pine, rich caramel, toasted malt, and muted citrus form the initial aroma. Seems fairly sweet.

Underpinnings of grapefruit and muted tangerine start the flavor profile, with sweet caramel malt, tobacco, and toasted breadcrust taking over mid palate, and resin and pine rounding out into the lightly bitter, dry finish.

Body is moderate to full, with slightly low carbonation, and noticeable alcohol warmth.

Fairly sweet at first, almost cloying, and more balanced than most. Not overly bitter, which suits my palate. Hop complexity is somewhat lacking.

10-01-2013 04:12:39 | More by barczar
thickgirth

1.55/5  rDev -62%

this beer is f'ing gross. it tastes like licorice or something. just a little to unearthly for this dirt dweller. sorta just weird flavors all around. maybe I got a bad growler? oh well, try it once if you're curious it's affordable and fairly easy to find. about try their double IPA, hope it's better.

09-27-2013 23:41:03 | More by thickgirth
Roguer

Connecticut

3.49/5  rDev -14.5%

Turbulent pour produced a long-lasting, solid three-finger creamy head. Translucent and bubbly amber IPA. Thick spider-web lacing.

Strong notes of pine and some citrus, with a hint of floral honey. Malt presence in the background with light caramel and grains.

Smooth, sweet, caramel, and syrup; hop presence is very subdued, and manifests mostly in bitterness vice flavor. A bit of pine and floral hops do come through, but they're overpowered by the syrupy malt flavor.

Thick and syrupy; medium feel; absolutely no carbonation sting. It doesn't quite feel alive. Far too syrupy, and a disappointment from ST.

This is a good beer, but a mediocre DIPA. 2XIPA was far more to my liking. No bottle date (typical of Southern Tier; come on, guys!), so I don't know if this was an older bottle or what. I'd have to think their profile is normally more hop-forward.

09-22-2013 21:46:35 | More by Roguer
57md

4.14/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance is a cloudy copper with a finger of beige head that retains well. The nose has brilliant hop and grapefruit notes. The flavor profile is malty with a subtle but present hop finish. The bitterness does not molest the tongue like some DIPAs, but it is definitely present and appears to gain in potency as this offering warms.

This is an excellent DIPA from one of my favorite breweries.

09-17-2013 03:49:53 | More by 57md
TreyIsWilson

4.11/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Deep amber with a nice thin white head.

S - Very malt heavy with some floral hops.

T - Sweet malts come through right up front. Finish is strong resinous hops with a slight alcohol burn.

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation. Drinks very easy for being 9.5% alcohol.

O - A good readily available DIPA.

09-14-2013 01:43:06 | More by TreyIsWilson
NoLeafClover44

Delaware

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

32oz. growler poured into a DFH Signature glass. Filled a few hours ago at Kreston's.

A - Pours a deep copper color with hardly any head. The guy behind the counter said that the keg was almost kicked, and it took a really long time to fill, so I already feared it may be flat. Oh, well. I guess that's not the beer's fault. It is a beautiful color with almost perfect clarity.

S - Smells of sweet clover honey, caramel malts, and a healthy dosage of citrusy orange hops. There is also a distinct herbal character to the aroma. Some bread balances the unusual sweetness and aggressive hop profile.

T - The sweetness is what strikes me first. The malts are of caramel, Moravian sugar cake, and biscuit. Piney and herbal hops shine through in the swallow and long into the linger. Sweeter than I prefer for a Double IPA, but the flavor isn't unpleasant.

M - Lightly carbonated, probably because of the fill. Sticky feel with a slightly dry finish.

O - I found this beer to be a bit unbalanced, favoring the malts. I have no way of knowing the age of the keg, so I don't know if this is due to age. Tastes more like a Barleywine than a DIPA. With that being said, it is still a pretty nice beer. A complex malt profile with a little bit of herbal hop bitterness on the back end make for an enjoyable brew. I may need to grab a reasonably fresh bottle to see if my assessment is a fair one.

09-12-2013 00:51:16 | More by NoLeafClover44
MisSigsFan

3.49/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Let me start off by saying I'm a huge West Coast IPA fan. Being from San Diego, I've always preferred the more piney IPAs. I've heard a lot of good things about Unearthly, so when I saw it at Wegmans in Syracuse, NY I decided to give it a try. Looks like your standard IPA. Golden copper. Smells very boozy and sweet. No sense of hops in there at all. Taste is really sweet and boozy as well. Hops play such a small role in this beer. I'm wondering if I got an old bottle or something. Mouthfeel is a little syrupy, but overall not bad. This beer is just way too sweet and malty for me. It doesn't even really taste like an IPA. Probably won't drink this again.

09-05-2013 01:07:19 | More by MisSigsFan
nick_asian

Nevada

4.26/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Great orange with a hint of red color. Head is a nice off white tannish color.

S: An abundant of malts and hops. Some grapefruit, pepper spice, and a bit boozy.

T: Still a lot of hops and malts, grapefruit and pepper spice also carry over, a little sweet from the malts, and still kind of boozy.

M: Medium-full body with an awesome balance of carbonation. Leaves a lot of the hops after tastes in there with a bit of dryness and earthy tone. I really liked that.

O: Awesome beer. I still much prefer their 2XIPA, this is still a great beverage when you want more hops focus.

09-01-2013 05:17:35 | More by nick_asian
pjkelley82

4.86/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this (along with other dipa's) at a East VS. West Dipa Head to Head Showdown I hosted on 8/27/13

Round 5 East Unearthly West RuinTEN

Wow.... this bastard is hot.... and hot.... god damn... but I absolutely love it... nothing for me that's "undrinkable" but enough to call it a sipper. This was now round 5 and I'm sure this beer put me over the edge... for me personally stone was cleaner and a hell of a lot smoother... but they were both malty but unearthly was a nice big malt bomb so to speak.. good hop profile in both but this came down to a split decision for me and the maltyness and that super hot burn left me with unearthly being the victor. I'm gonna buy another and sit on this bad boy a while....

08-29-2013 01:44:05 | More by pjkelley82
TeamMathis

West Virginia

Appearance: Caramel, copper.
Smell: Peppery pine and alcohol.
Taste: Honey, pepper, and alcohol.
Mouthfeel: Smooth.

Big. This is a slow sipper. The alcohol is pronounced. Like most imperials, at least to me, it's harder to pick out the particulars in the smell and taste. The overall drink is excellent though. I would certainly get this again.

08-12-2013 04:55:21 | More by TeamMathis
Robb_in_Austin

3.54/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Initially tasted straight from the bottle while very cold. Very nice aroma; the hop bill on the bottle promised good things that the nose reaffirmed. Alas, it didn't live up to the nose.

A: Poured a nice copper color with a cream colored head that dies quickly.

S: Lots of hops on the nose initially, then malt.

T: A brief hop bite then the malt and alcohol come in. The malt and alcohol are very much in balance. Leaves a lingering, slightly caramel with the faintest hint of hop bitterness, flavor. Definitely packs the alcohol punch but the malt sweetness balances.

M: Very nice body. Thick and mouth coating. Doesn't die after 10 seconds.

O: I was mislead by the label. When I see "unearthly IPA" I expect nothing but hops. I like it nonetheless. The alcohol and malt are very balanced but needs more hops, both bittering and aromatic.

08-04-2013 00:46:30 | More by Robb_in_Austin
BMMillsy

3.99/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

IPA Day 2013 beer for me. Bottle date of 5/20/13 and enjoyed on 8/1/13. Pours from the bottle copper, clear, and with a big fluffy aromatic head. Aroma of big grapefruit and some sweet malts, then more grapefruit. Flavor has a huge malt backbone but with plenty of bitter from the hops. Very sweet and very much on style. Slick mouthfeel with plenty of carbonation. Pretty solid and much better than the Oakes version. Wondering if the hops had more power when this was bottled 2.5 months ago, but overall plenty of bite still there.

08-01-2013 23:16:12 | More by BMMillsy
Kuaff

Alaska

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I had just finished a really sweaty workout, and parched as I was, I sought out this DIPA that I had never tried before. Drank in a snifter, just a little above fridge temperature.

It's a pure, transparent gold color. I would say "unearthly" in its clarity. A two-finger dirty white head.

As I live much closer to the West coast than the East, this is the first "East coast IPA" I've had, and I could already distinguish a different character as I took in the aroma. It smells like honey and sweet bread. Tropical fruits, too. A sweeter and juicier scent than the astringent pine smell of a lot of other DIPAs I've had.

The flavor also follows a slightly different blueprint than I'm accustomed to. It's brimming with hop flavor and refrshing fruitiness... citrus... and maybe some mango. Wonderful spicy hops in the finish. The thing that's kind of new to me is that it doesn't bombard me with the bitterness I love oh so much in a DIPA. However, though the bitterness is moderate, hoppiness is still high. So it's different to me, but by NO means in a bad way.

The feel is... seamless. Perfect, really. One of the smoothest DIPAs, or beers of any style, that I've ever had.

Mmmmhmm. Those Easterners do their own thing, and I think Unearhtly gave me a real nice taste of that thing.

07-30-2013 20:33:14 | More by Kuaff
RaulMondesi

4.11/5  rDev +0.7%

Quick stop in Chicago for the day and Raul needed a brew to ease the aches and pains - and let Raul tell you: Unearthly did just that.

Piney and resinous like a Ludacris tour bus, this thang pops well and it pops hard. Like Phelps diving into a pool for a gold - all kinds of smooth.

Yep!

07-29-2013 20:33:32 | More by RaulMondesi
dougfur

3.81/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a really beautiful orange color, pretty clear, but with a little haze. Nice head. A very fine looking beer!
The smell is a real mix of hops, yeast and malt, not quite what I'd expect from a DIPA. The taste is also more balanced that one might expect. It's nice, but just too boozy for me. Mouthfeel was great. Overall, a nice beer if you like your DIPA's really strong and not all that hoppy...almost more of a strong ale. If you're checking out Southern Tier and like IPA's I'd stick with the 2x or the regular IPA.

07-23-2013 23:50:37 | More by dougfur
Suds

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Another great beer from this brewery. It's an amber colored, transparent liquid. An off-white head sits on top, long lived and lace-producing. Resin and pepper hop aroma. Some herb and sweet malt in the scent. The real pleasure is int the taste...sweet, a hint of toast, honey-topped bread, and flowery, mildly bitter hops. Lots of alcohol warmth, and a 'big-beer' feel. Thick, sweet, bitter in the finish. A bitterness that keeps coming in the aftertaste...wave on wave. Full, thick, and luxurious in body. Full-on high abv IPA.

07-06-2013 23:25:14 | More by Suds
StonedTrippin

Colorado

4.19/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

this is everything one could hope for in an east coast imperial ipa. it pours a decadent orange brassy color, dense and bright, with a luscious head, just off white, about an inch tall. the nose on this is intensely hoppy, oily heavy, and delicious. it reminds me somewhat of the founders centennial ipa, in the sense that its got that almost lumber quality to it, woody and sturdy, earthy and bitter, very nice aromatics here. I cant place the hops variety exactly, but its familiar to me for sure. big bitter hops all the way through the flavor of this one, with that fresh milled lumber element coming in and out. I get some sort of English malt underlying it all, and maybe even some English style bitter hops, but I also get bold American fruity and piney hops, sappy and fresh, penetrating my palate. the hopback process has been an obvious success here. good carbonation, fuller body, almost chewy in that classic way my mother describes big beers she cant comprehend. satisfying after a few days of not drinking, and a beer I am already dying to score again. one of the best from southern tier for sure.

06-23-2013 13:33:04 | More by StonedTrippin
utopiajane

3.83/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Unearthly pours a copper orange with a dense head of sticky foam that recedes unwillingly, fighting all the way and clinging to the glass. It doesn’t assault the nose like some IPA’s but boasts it’s hops behind the strength of it’s malt. Slick pine, oak and moss. On the palate the malt stays steady and sweet while the hops come up to a tart flourish. The body is heavy and slightly thick, mouthfeel is creamy but a little syrupy. An expressive IPA that lingers bitter and amenable.

06-11-2013 16:40:03 | More by utopiajane
mikejseal

4.44/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a beer mug from a 22 oz bottle

A- Good foamy head that faded slowly with heavy lacing. Rich gold color

S- Very fragrant- apples, oranges, slightly bready with a slight spicyness

T- Pleasant bitterness, malt definitely takes center stage. Fruity and well-balanced

M- Smooth, rich with vigorous carbonation

O- Exceptional, I think this is the first "pale" beer I've had that tasted truly decadent. Beware though- it disguises it's alcohol content very well

06-03-2013 17:32:40 | More by mikejseal