Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: John on 02-24-2006

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,837 | Reviews: 1,192
4.7/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

650 ML bottle purchased for $5.99 from Gary's in Madison...
Heard that this was the ultimate IPA, so I was eager to give this one a shot...
Upon opening the bottle, I was greeted by a strong and sharp presence of powerful hops, so I figured this was going to be one hell of an Indian Pale Ale...
Pours a hazy, cloudy, murky, deep-dark amber, golden hue with an impressive-sized foamy and frothy head which exhibited remarkable staying power before slowly dissipating and leaving an intense amount of lacing around the glass...
As mentioned before, a whirlwind of strong hops is definitely present, bursting to the point where you can actually smell the sweetness of the brew pouring through with rich caramel and vanilla nuances...
Top-notch, excellent taste... this beer certainly lives up to its hype and is one of the best American IPA's I have ever sampled, a rich, creamy, thick, and ultra-sweet sample tempered by a slight touch of hop bitterness and loaded with sugared-caramel flavors along with a hint of vanilla and honey...
Excellent creamy and rich mouthfeel, and one of the best factors of this beer include the fact that the hefty ABV is hardly noticeable behind an ultra-rich conglomeration of deep, thick, creamy flavors that burst through...
One of the best Southern Tier brews I've sampled... A must for all hop-heads and definitely recommended...

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

A-- warm gold clear/clean looking - bone colored fine bubble carbonation falls quickly to just a few large bubbles

S-- Citrusy pine like hops a little caramel malt for balance

T-- good , hoppy, good malt backbone, almost cedar like tones, not much sweetness good flavor, as it wrms more maly tones emerge

m-- a little oily mouth feel lingering after taste

d-- 1 bomber is not enough I like it/ not the most amazing beer, but it is good. the 11% is well hidden

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

A: Deep orange amber with minimal head that fades away quickly and leaves little lacing.

S: Upfront hops, wonderful scent of pine and citrusyhops dominates the nose, but the sweet malt comes through.

T: Exceptionally well balanced, strong taste of hops up front, but sweet caramel and toasted malts balance out.

M: Smooth, creamy, sticky feel, and medium with a lingering bitterness from the hops. Very hard to believe it is 11%.

D: Great, one of the most well balanced DIPA's i have had. With the high alcohol would only be able to have one or two.

4.77/5  rDev +17.2%

A carbonated honey amber colored body has active bubbles on the body leading up to a rocky two finger light tan head. Leaves scattered lace as it slowly fades. Nose is blasting with citrus and woodsy piney hop character wraped up with a noticeable hot alchol presence. The first sip brings well balanced hops rolling over the tongue to create a creamy feel that is amazingly smooth. A high level of complexity is shown on the palate with nice malt balanced richness, and hop created sweetness. There is a steady bitter feel but it is welcomed and warm with just a touch of alchol which is amazing considering its 11% alchol. As I continue to drink I continue to love this beers balanced sweetness, richness and bitter feel. This is an awsome achievement of craft beer. Drinkability is of the chart for this level of alchol. Mouthfeel is slightly thick and full of desire. A very very good brew. Goes great with Danish blue cheese.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Poured from tap at Chappy's Tap Room in Moraine, OH. Brown amber color with a nice 2 finger head. The hoppy smell was very nice. The taste was dirty like grass or pine hops with some liquorish or toffee on the malt side. It seemed a bit unbalanced with the hops much more prevelant than the malts. It had a very nice lacing and overall was a very nice beer.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

A-Pours amber orange with small dense head that quickly fades. No lacing.

S-I like hops, and I smell lots of hops. Also plenty of citrus, pine resin, toast, and spice.

T-Touch of sweet golden honey, citrus and toasted malt. The sweetness softens the hops, and the finish is clean. The nuanced sweetness and the bitter hops are a nice melange of opposites, and this stuff drinks smooth.

M-Excellent. I can't believe this stuff is 11%, and I'm starting to feel the initial effects. The texture and body are smooth yet bold.

D-Way to easy to drink. This brew is dangerously good.

4.79/5  rDev +17.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a snifter:

A - Pours a crystal clear amber/orange with a very small head. Sheets of sticky lace form instantly.

S - Huge blast of citrusy hops to the point of smelling juicy! A small amount of dark fruit sweetness lingers after the hops.

T - Oh Wow! This has got to be one of the most balanced IIPAs that I've tasted. It's almost like listening to an exceptional sound recording where you can focus on whichever instrument you like, but the overall mix is never lost (sorry...being a musician, this makes sense to me). You can pick out every flavor point, but not be saturated by it.

M - Thinner than the flavor makes you think. Carbonation is only there to clean the tongue and never gets in the way.

D - This is right up there with my favorites. This is an extremely accessible IIPA since everything is so well blended. At an 11% ABV, this one can fool you. Alcohol is never detectable; even as the beer warms. Throw caution to the wind as this one could be over-imbedded easily!

Excellent IIPA. This one may overtake my 2nd place prize (currently given to Avery's Maharaja). I must have MORE!!!!

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

This was another take out from the Headkeeper. I tried the Southern Tier Pumking this past fall and fell in love with it, so I figured this Imperial IPA. was worth a shot. I grabbed my crystal snifter and favorite bottle opener with gusto. The beer poured with a wonderful inch thick head. The color was a beautiful deep golden, with a minimal amount of lacing. The aroma of hops and citrus hit me immediately as I took the initial breath. The taste was bitter for an IPA. but also very mellow. This beer boasts an 11% ABV but you wouldn't know it by the taste...it is very well hidden. This is a wonderful example of what an Imperial IPA should be.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a crisp orange with a frothy off-white head that lasts and leaves decent lacing. Aroma is floral citrus hops with some fruity sweet malts. The taste is loads of bitter citrus hops with light caramel and sweet malts right behind for a decent balance. The beer is on the heavy side of medium and has the feel of a lower alcohol beer, this is one to be careful with.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Thanks to todd1 for this brew. He threw this in as an extra in a trade. Poured into a Corsendonk chalice. Beer was amber in color with a two finger head that was off-white. Excellent retention that left lacing all around the glass.

Aroma was citrus and pine hops, along with heavy malt.

Taste was heavy hops, balanced with a caramel, malt flavor. Surprisingly sweet.

Nice full, sticky mouthfeel. Long bitter finish and very sweet.

This was really well balanced. Especially considering it weighs in at 153 IBU's! Well worth seeking out.

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a clear golden orange with a frothy off-white head. Great retention and sheets of lace are left along the sides of the glass.

Huge raw hop aroma hits you immediately - lots of pine and citrus. Honey and toasted bread kick in, becoming more balanced than initially expected. Faint alcohol lies in the background.

Hops, what else, are upfront - very dry, lots of pine, some juicy citrus - grapefruit, orange, and , and a load of spice. Solid malt sweetness of caramel candy come in to stand against the hop bitterness. Slightly cloying sweetness sets before a final jolt of hops return. The alcohol is so well hidden I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw it weighs in at 11% - just a very mild warming as it goes down.

Medium bodied, prickles and tingles the tongue with all the spicy hops. Creamy and a bit sticky. Unreal drinkability - I drained the bomber in no time, despite the sadistic hop assault. Not the best Double IPA, but damn good.

3.89/5  rDev -4.4%

22 ounce bomber acquired in a trade with todd1, thanks for giving me the opportunity to try a lot of the Southern Tier brews

Also split with my friend tonight, he is really going to have buy some beer soon, poured into my Duvel tulip glass again as well

A-Deep orange copper color, 1/2 inch frothy white head that did not settle for about three minutes, decent retention, not much lacing

S-Big malty aroma, loaf of bread, piney hoppiness, variety of citrus, different fruits like mango and apricot, and booze

T-Hoppy dry and piney taste at the beginning, some malt in the middle, then some grapefruit, followed by a bitter finish with some fresh tasting pine, balanced pretty well but still a little too sweet, malt overload, wish the hoppiness took more charge, still keeps a nice level of bitterness throughout the entire glass, citric acid, lots of booze in the finish once the beer warms, not bad overall

M-Very creamy mouthfeel, medium to thick body, also bitter at times, taste lingered for a little bit, could have used more carbonation

D-Probably could not drink a bomber of this by myself, strong at eleven percent, heavy as well, not exactly smooth or easy to drink

Better than Gemini in my opinion, which is half this brew and half Hoppe, not my favorite double IPA out there but still pretty good, a little on the sweet side with excess malt, would drink again if I ever crossed paths with it again, recommended

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%

22-oz bomber poured into pint glasses.

A = Clear amber, one finger frothy off white head with good retention, heavy lacing on glass, light carbonation with tiny bubbles.

S = Pine notes predominate but honey notes are also present, quite pleasant and more balanced than I had been expecting.

T = Strong taste of pine with some slight grapefruit rind, white pepper at mid-palate as mild malt flavors finally appear, long bitter finish. Strongly hoppy, but unlike many very highly hopped beers this is not astringent, the bitters are at a controllable level and the hops tastes are fresh.

M = Medium bodied, good mouthcoating, frothy carbonation when swished.

D = Good drinkability. Strong enough and bitter enough that one will do it at a time, but I can definitely see picking this when in the mood for a DIPA.

4.74/5  rDev +16.5%

Love when a brewer gives all the details you could possibly want (IBUs, plato, detailed ingredient list, etc.), like these guys or Rogue. But 153 IBUs was pretty much all I needed to know to get my tongue ready for a potentially ripping good time. (Thanks to msubulldog25 for this bottle.)

Pours a burnt copper/orange that positively glows. The head is inch-thick and lessens to half that in a minute's time. The aroma pulled me in so quickly that I forgot to look further (or taste) for quite some time: Candied oranges, fresh pine sweetness, lemon/ginger...all probably emanating from the hops, which are alive and kicking in the glass. Now *this* is a hop wallop. Some alcohol heat helps brighten the aromatic glow.

Surprised and glad that the hops do not overwhelm everything else in the flavor. Malts create a bed of firm, candy-like sweetness and caramel-like texture for the hops to play off of. The depth of flavor is enormous, as is the balance, the hops being playful rather than destructive. All detected aromas are here in the flavor, with a lot of juicy cinnamon-taffy and melted butter succulence as well. Not sure how old this bottle is, but I'm guessing it's got some age on it. I think this was the right time to drink it. And where's the alcohol? It's incredibly well-incorporated at 11%.

Together with a ridiculously creamy mouthfeel, this just became one of my favorite double IPAs of all time, if not my favorite. It's so insanely delicious that it's easy to forget how big it is. As the label warns: "To underestimate Unearthly is to trifle with the mysteries of the universe, so please consume wisely." ie. this is so drinkable as to make fools of otherwise responsible beer enthusiasts. So I don't rate the drinkability anything other than "good", because this is clearly a special-occasion sipper. That's no complaint. This is truly exceptional.

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

Thanks to Bwyker for this beer that I picked up in a trade and poured into my Goose Island Tulip.

A - pours a dark copper color that has a light hint of dark orange and amber as well. Has a bit of the metallic sheen with some light carbonation as well. Has a nice one finger head as well that stuck around for a bit and is close to what I would call the color ivory with a light bit of head and leaves some nice lacing down the glass as well.

S - smell is a lot of hops that are a bit bitter with a light mango fruit presence but not too much of it.Also can pick up a lot of the alcohol in the nose as well.

T - hmm, this is an odd beer to me. It has hops but it seems to be bitter for almost the sake of being bitter. There is a little bit of a malt background but not enough to even mildly offset the bitterness of the hops as well. Lots of hoppy bitterness too but almost too much and seems a bit unbalanced to me as well. The taste is mostly the pine aspect of the hops that one would expect from the cascade. As this warmed up I could definitely get the maltiness that some of the other reviewers have spoken about and this is actually a bit too sweet afterawhile. The hops are still there at the end of the drink and complements nicely with the sweetness.

MF - Decent body on this one; not too thick or too thin. Has a nice amount of carbonation in there as well that attacks the tongue and goes well with the bitterness of the hops. The aftertaste is mainly a bitterness that sits on the tongue after the beer goes down the throat.

D - I felt like this is kinda of an average DIPA in my opinion. It seems a bit unbalanced to me too which means that I wouldn't be crazy to try to get another one. I think this is a a beer that I wouldn't go out of my way to get and would pass over as well compared to other DIPAs.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

I got this bottle ina trade with joe1510. Thanks Joe!

This one pours from 22oz bottle a clear gold with about an inch of foam and stays around for the entire session. Very good, albeit small, head retention.(with lacing ;^)

The smell I noticed as soon as I popped the cap...big caramel malt with a nice side order of hoppy goodness and a very nice fresh baked bread. I hope the malt is as impressive in the taste. ;^)

The taste on first sip and yep, that yummy caramel malt and bread is in the taste in big abundance and I'm smiling like a cheshire cat. Then the hops make a presence with nice notes of pine and some citrus but I'll be danged if I don't consider this one a malt dominated DIPA and, that works *very* well for me. The body is somewhere bewtween full and medium, the carbonation is on the light side, and it finishes with a slight bitterness mixed with some more bread and the alcohol? A pretty strong "beast" at 11% but I can't sense any in the nose or taste and it gives me the slightest of warming after the swallow. I really like this stuff!!

Bottom line: After I pretty much finished with the text in my review, I took a peak at some other reviews and most of them seem to say that the hops in Unearthly have a bigger presence than the malt. I respectfully, disagree. Either way, this is one of the best of the style that I've tasted ever. Worth sekking out? You darn tootin!

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours an orangey color, a bit light for a DIPA but the tan head and little bubbles coming out of solution make up for that. Also, relatively clear but not crystal clear.

The smell was very strong of hops. Lots and lots of them but mostly as aroma hops, not bittering. There was a little malt smell coming out but the fruity hop smell dominated. The flavor was a bit more balanced in terms of malt vs hops. I did notice a little alcohol but nothing distracting. Although halfway through the glass, who cares, you're already buzzing from the 11% abv. Some moderate hop flavor and bitterness in the aftertaste.

The body was medium, a little lighter than I would have guessed for a DIPA but thats alright. Great beer all around.

3.65/5  rDev -10.3%

bomber poured into snifter, no freshness date

A- even pale beige head recedes very quickly, wispy retention at best. Thin lacing that dissipates easily. Orangey, shiny amber liquid that is crystal clear.

S- enjoyable citric/piney hops very present, very little aroma on exhale, sniffs of alcoholic strength becomes more apparent only as it warms.

T- Malt? sweetness (or at least some kind of sweetness- hops come in too quick to be sure) present and pleasant upon first taste, giving way immediately to citric, piney hop bitterness up front, but doesn't linger on the tongue. Doesn't linger as strongly as one might expect on the tongue from 2xIPA but it does linger nonetheless in other areas of the mouth. Quick burning alcoholic finish and flavors become more pronounced as it warms.

M- surprisingly light in the mouth. Very smooth, medium body as best- amazing since ABV is listed at 11, which is simply shocking considering the lightness. Carbonation is very mild/minimal, contributing to the smoothness.

D- Overall, I was surprisingly disappointed. I didn't know this was a double IPA until I started drinking it and re-read the label. For a double, imo, it's actually weaker than I like in terms of hop bitterness and overall flavor- for my double ipas I prefer much sharper/whip crack bitterness from the hops, lingering far after the initial flavor, which this didn't do. While very smooth and likely to be drinkable with many foods, it didn't strike me as a double IPA that I'll return to just to drink on its own. The alcohol doesn't show thru, which I suppose is a plus, but overall, that doesn't lift the beer to great heights.

4.37/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Medium gold clear body with a thin head and bits of lacing here and there.

Big piny hops up front in the aroma but there's also a nice breadiness from the malt fighting for some recognition.

Huge hop flavor of course; but the malt lends a nice nondescript sweetness to the blend. Just a hair of alcohol shows up when it warms slightly.

Mouthfeel is good, moderate carbonation. A little sticky from the hops and surprisingly not very drying. Not a bad thing, just a bit off.

The amazing thing about this beer is its ability to hide a whopping ABV. I got nothing of it in the aroma and very little in the taste. A great display of craftsmanship.

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

Into a wide bodied flute, pours a rich amber, clear and with small strings bubbling from below, a nice bone white head on top that settles to a good coating, and a bit of lacing too.

The aroma reminds me of the fruits I was eating for breakfast just a few long months ago in Jamaica, pineapple, mellon, lime, mango, orange,

I don't know if my palate has simply been crushed from the number of huge beers I've had lately, but an IIPA of 11% and a mountain of hops should overpower me, should send me whimpering. Better, I'm sitting in bliss. I don't have to fear this beer, for its a thing of beauty. All the notes from the nose carry over beautifully, with a bit more malty sweetness, juicy and delicious. Its very nice. And of course, immensely hoppy. Delicious. (in fact, my subconscious id makes me buy this beer whenever I see it, whether I have some in my fridge or not)(translation, its beauty haunts my dreams)

The mouth is smooth, soft, full, and creamy, faint carbonation, and the slightest bit of warmth is all you'll notice from the 11% ABV. Its a sipper, but one you'll be able to sip for more than one bottle. A superbly crafted beer, wonderful to drink. Thanks to MuenchenerKindl for supplying me with this.

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

Uh huh shucks-a-roony, this heah, beah be pretta dahmn good. Pours with some lasting head and a bit o lace. medium amber color. Almost a kind of nutty/hoppy fragrance. I personally don't pick up any alcohol characteristics, but friends sampling with me do. A very well balanced xtra IPA. Long hoppy, but not overly bitter finish. If not for the juice, maybe a session beer.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Altogether a very nice DIPA. Big thanks to brandoman63 for this one!

Huge malt sweetness backs this DIPA. Lots of lighter caramel flavors at the forefront, with a somewhat juicy hop character. Lingering bitterness. I could use a touch more in the way of hops here I'd say, but the bitterness level is about right.

Good enough mouthfeel and good drinkability.

Recommended. Not the best DIPA out there, but one that I wouldn't mind coming back to.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured three quarters of a 22 oz. bottle into a Riedel Pinot Noir glass (yeah,i know). I also placed the bottle in the freezer ten minutes before serving. Served ice cold, during non-other than the Super Bowl kickoff.

Boy oh boy. Great color, stellar aroma (aromatics are a ton), and what little head did show, dissipated within the first two minutes of arrival.

First taste revealed a blast of hops, which in all due respect, is one of the greatest pleasures of drinking any Imperial IPA. This one plays it convincingly good though, in respect to the high ABV. Kudos to the brew master on this one.

Hope the game can live up to the beer, is all I can say. Go Pats!! Even better, Go Southern Tier!!

Cheers

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from 22 oz. into mug. Deep, dark caramel/orange zest or burnt orange color. Concentrated head that dissipates just a little too easy. Aroma is solid, flowery hop character - would expect maybe a little more for something as powerful as this. Woven into the huge hop flavor is a nice, sweet balance of butterscotch/toffee. Strong finish - a little syrupy but not too long backed by the bitterness of the hops. Good to savor in cold weather.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance is a clearly transparent copper body with tinges of amber, head is white pillowy foam that mostly sustains, big thick lacing on the glass

Smell is dominated by floral and citrus hops (cascade?), but there is a surprising presence of caramel malts and honeyed sweetness as well as moderate alcohol

Taste is a mix of those sweet juicy hops and considerable caramel and bread malts as well as a moderate alcohol presence, the citrus sticks out midway with some honey sweetness and finishes oily and sweet

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, smooth texture finishes oily and slick, moderate carbonation

Drinkability is moderate, this is one hefty but sweet and balanced east coast DIPA, the 11% abv hampers the drinkability, but I completely enjoyed all 22oz in one sitting, I was blown away by Choklat in NYC and Unearthly does not disappoint, I am looking forward to sampling more of these big beers from Southern Tier!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company