Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: John on 02-24-2006

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,840 | Reviews: 1,193

2.51/5  rDev -38.3%

A - Deep orange with almost no head. What little there is disappears instantly and leaves behind no lacing.

S - Malt-forward. Caramel malt and that's mostly it. Some searching yields some tropical fruit hop presence but not much. Where's the hop-forward nose on this imperial IPA?

T - Same as the smell. Mostly malt from the beginning with some fruitiness from the hops. Hardly any bitterness is present. This beer doesn't taste bad, but I expect an imperial IPA to be a heck of a lot more bitter and hop-dominant.

M - Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation and a slight alcohol tinge in the finish. A little too much sweetness from the malt.

O - This is not a bad-tasting beer, but it is a poor representation of an imperial IPA IMO. The bitterness is very subtle for the style, and the hops are in way too good of balance with the malt. I don't drink an imperial IPA for perfect balance between malt and hops, I drink it for a pronounced hop character.

2.52/5  rDev -38.1%

Here I am giving Unearthly another chance. I must be a glutton for punishment. OK, let's do it right this time. Poured into a snifter, it looks a fiery orange-red. Typical thin strong-ale head.

It smells good, better than the last time I tried it. Hops hit the nose first, then a strong undercurrent of honeycomb takes over, peaches, apricots, alcohol.

After a brief hit of peach-vodka sweetness, this has a rough, coarse dirt-like bitterness I really don't think I find too enjoyable. High in alcohol in an all too obvious way. Coarse, thick feel - coats my tongue in a weird way.

I still don't like it. It's way too alcoholic, with high levels of not pleasurable bitterness. It's one of the most difficult-to-drink beers I've ever tried. Somehow, other DIPAs or barleywines at or near this strength manage to be tasty and drinkable, yet this in my mind fails. I think 11% is much too much for this, I still maintain it should be closer to 9 - in fact I think all of ST's big IPAs should be scaled down in alcohol a notch or two.

2.6/5  rDev -36.1%

i really wanted to like this. everyone was always going on about it and all. so i was stoked when i got a bottle and chilled it good and got out my favorite glass and poured it.

what a let down. maybe i was too stoked. i don't know.

i was all set for a hop blast. wasn't happenin' at all. maybe i got a bad bottle, i don't know.

a great disappointment. hardly any hop flavor at all. and there was even a sweet undercurrent.

i may try their other beers, but i am skeptical.

2.68/5  rDev -34.2%

A fairly dark amber color.

Minimal head that settles quickly. Sips are almost completely flat, lacking carbonation.

Minimal smell.

A bit heavy on the malts for my tastes.

The hops are present, though not very heavy, and not nearly heavy enough to break through the overpowering malt flavor.

Not terrible... but I cant say I enjoyed it myself. Be prepared for the heavy maltiness and lack of carbonation. And definitely dont expect a powerful hop bitterness just because of the hop themed design on the bottle.

2.71/5  rDev -33.4%

From bottle to pint glass, split with wife.

A) Golden, more of a "sandy-blonde" as Patrick Bateman would say

S) Smells hoppy, and slightly of oak (although I've had the oak-aged version, which was completely different than this)

T) Malt... booze... a hint of hops... not what I would expect from an IPA.

M) Nothing memorable.

O) Not bad, just doesn't taste like an IPA or double at that.

2.74/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.75

A: A deep amber color that is mostly clear. Two fingers of off white head. Rings of lacing around the glass.

S: A mild smell of dank pine, and bread. Catching subtle tones of booze and fruit in there.

T: Herbal and boozy with hints of fruit and pine.

M: Medium and smooth/creamy body. Carbonation is on the lower side.

O: I'm not sold on this one. The hop profile is extremely weak. It feels as if they brewed a double batch worth of malt with a single batch worth of hops to make this beer. Not at all what I would expect from an IIPA.

2.74/5  rDev -32.7%

I've enjoyed Unearthly many times before. This particular bomber hails from Harvest Fine Wine in West Hartford CT, purchased in September for $6.99. Bottle claims alcohol at 11.0% ABV. No date or code observed. Served at 44F in a tulip at the same temperature.

A: A significant cake of yeast is noted at the bottom of the bottle. Brew is a mostly-clear reddish copper color with a moderate quantity of small carbo bubbles drifting upward. Heavy/ moderate pour generates only 1/2" of tan head that settles to a creamy layer. Difficult to get any significant head out of it.

S: Smell is thick with malts that have been slightly caramelized by a long boil, a thick and slightly scorched grainy sweetness. Not much hop noted.

T/M: Thick malt body and taste identical to the smell, semi-sweet, scorched, really dominates the experience. Some mild yeasty funk is also present. Hops are pretty subtle, very tame for the style; some bitter orange pith, grapefruit, mixed herb. Finish is pretty long with citrus rinds and alcohol fumes. Alcohol is present but fairly subtle for 11%.

D: This is pretty lackluster, I remember it being much better. Not at all crisp or hoppy like a DIPA should be. Not much different from any other mediocre DIPA. I'm guessing it's due to some combination of over-cooked batch and an old bottle.

2.83/5  rDev -30.5%

A--Deep amber color with a finger of head using a standard pour into a pint glass, OK lacing left behind

S--Citrus and floral hops with a strong malty backbone. Grapefruit, apple peels, caramel, pears. Not a huge smell but still very good.

T--Piney hops, lots of maltiness, caramel, an odd sweet flavor that I can't identify, good bitterness levels. I'm not really too impressed with the taste here. That sweetness that I can't seem to identify is really distracting and takes away from the other flavors present.

M--Standard for a DIPA

D--A bomber of this was just too much. I could drink a pint for sure, but beyond that it becomes a chore.

2.84/5  rDev -30.2%

2.85/5  rDev -30%

No bottle date.

A: pours a hazy amber ale with under a single finger of tan foam which falls slowly to a broken sheet of the same with tortuous billows. Ringed lace.

S: This smells like sweet malts and some piny hops. Not much else. I fear this beer sat on the shelves for quite some time. That being said, the base malts smells of caramel and caramelized sugar.

T: Tastes like a sweet American style Barley Wine. Not impressed as an IPA goes. The malts are sweet and toffee like with hints of oxidation which has developed the malt nicely.

M: A hare thin on the body and low on the carb with a small slickness on the finish.

O: Well, I wish I knew the bottle date on this beer. I know it's not particularly new (as I've heard they've gone through a label change), but nonetheless, I know their beers to be generally sweet. As a result, I'm stuck believing this is relatively along the lines they intended. As an IIPA, this is far from hopped enough.

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Just okay. I hate southern tiers' malt bomination of mostly everything hoppy that they make. This one's probably the worst amongst them. It's a little bitter and citrus does come through a bit, but with every sip you are overwhelmed completely by the weird sticky sweet malty taste. Not a good thing. Maybe this f bottle is a bit old at around 4 months, but I've had it fresh and hardly have noticed a difference. Definitely stick with Gemini or 2x one for a hop forward beer and not a sweet malt bomb like this.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company