Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: John on 02-24-2006

Reviews: 1,204 | Hads: 2,958
3.23/5  rDev -20.6%

I've liked most of the other Southern Tier brews I've had so I'm hoping this one is no exception...

A sweet malty aroma mingled with some earthy hops roll out of the glass... The aroma is strong but not really as hoppy as I was hoping it would be... This is more barleywine than DIPA...

Sweet maltiness with an earthy English IPA hop thing going on... The hops are powerful but they're more Noble than anything and don't really push through the malts to confirm their presence... there's a slight bitterness but there's more of a floral thing going on...

Not an elite DIPA in my opinion... An OK brew for sure but a notch down...

3.23/5  rDev -20.6%

Un Earthly

Slight amber, slightly copper hints. Tall white head with a bit of oil and thickness. Faint carbonation still coming up.

Huge cascade hop opening. Classic American IPA smell. Sweet, floral, citrus notes.

Sweet, Caramel and darn right over powering malt opening. The hops are everywhere in this beer however. They open it in a floral citrus note, and then finish with a nice bitter expression. The this is still the classic east coast double IPA where there's too much malt to go with the huge amounts of hops.

This is thick...so thick. Add in some alcohol burn and just a touch of carbonation. I have to admit it... I want to love this beer, but darn it. I just can't. It's good but it is just missing all over the place.

3.24/5  rDev -20.4%

A: Poured with a small head and spotty lacing. Great golden color with a slight red hue to it.

S: I was a little congested when I drank this so I didn't smell much. But it definitely wasn't strong.

T: It had a really strong taste to it. Was nice and bitter but left this strange after-taste in my mouth that just hung around.

MF: Surprisingly not as dry as I'd thought it would be. But the fulness of the flavor, I thought, made it harder to drink than most Imperials.

I drank this Imperial out of a beer glass and not saying i didn't enjoy it but definitely not one of my favorites. Hard not to enjoy an Imperial IPA.

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

Excited about this bottle that I received via trade.
A-Looking pretty good, golden beer with a decent white head that dissipated quickly.
S-Citrus and tropical fruit flavors, slight pine smell, sweet caramel malt
T-Very malt and fruit forward DIPA, some bread caramel flavors, slightly grain flavor, hop flavor not as prevelant at first but hit on the way back, citrus grapefruit presence there but has a backseat, alcohol flavors seem to sharpen the flavors rather than compliment them, Overly sweet, too much alcohol, and would have preferred more upfront hops
M-Good but not great, slightly grainy feel and alcohol flavor detracted, good carbonation tickle
D-Not a big fan of this one and didn't make it through the whole bottle. I find too much alcohol sweetness in Southern Tier beers that don't compliment the flavors underneath which are usually very good.

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

Bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: Dark clear amber with thick head that turns into lacing.

Smell: Peaches and pine.

Taste: Tomatos, pine, malt, a bit of couch syrup, and grapefruit. Weird mix of flavors; it's not bad though. Caramel and toffee malt profile. Ends a little dry with a lingering bitterness that doesn't sit well.

Drinkability: Not a bad brew, it's drinkable, but it's not something I'd search out. I prefer DIPAs with crisper, sharper hops. This mixture of hops also produces a odd flavor that I'm just not a fan of.

3.26/5  rDev -19.9%

First time trying this. It was bottled about 5 months ago. I mite have liked it fresh but thanks to distributors sitting on beer well past it best by date I have a malty beer that gets a bad score.

3.26/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured from a bomber into a standard US pint glass. Dark golden or light amber in color with a half-finger of spongy head. Good lacing on the glass.

You get a ton of grains and malts on the nose. It smells very sweet, but only a trace amount of hops on the nose along with a little citrus. Reminds me more of a barleywine than an IPA.

The hops come through though they're more stringent on the back of the tongue; mainly bittering hops shining through, nothing floral about this beer. It's almost sticky sweet, with maltiness taking the back seat to the massive sweetness in this beer. No citrus to speak of in the flavor, despite the nose.

This is one thick, sticky beer going down, though leaves your mouth dry at the end.

I'm a big beer freak, so this one went down easy for me, though I can see others having trouble with this one. It's almost like drinking light syrup.

I think it's pretty good. It's definitely not a regular every-day beer, but good for occasional enjoyment. It's very unbalanced; hops just aren't there in the nose or in the taste up front, but come back to grab you after you swallow. A slightly acidic flavor afterward, this beer is sweet and sticky up front. A very heavy beer.

3.27/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bomber, into a chalice, slightly cooler than room temperature.

Pours a light amber color. Topped with a large, impressive 2 finger head, which hangs around for awhile, then drops to a respectable half finger.
Grapefruit dominates the aroma, with some pine and floral notes.
Pine and grapefruit right away on the tongue, followed by a mild honey sweetness. Very smooth, considering it's an imperial. The ingredients are listed on the bottle, and I wonder if it's the red wheat that tones it down a little? Pretty balanced for the style, which might be contrary to the style itself. I was expecting more hop flavor, and aroma. Very tasty, nevertheless.
A smooth creamy mouthfeel, a little chewy, and a dry finish.

Overall, A very good beer, my sample seems more like an IPA than it's Imperial relative, but still quite enjoyable. Couldn't drink too many with 11% ABV, especially out of a bomber, but I will surely try this one again sometime.

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip. Appears a dark amber color with a thick fluffy off-white head. The head leaves some nice lacing, Looks like a DIPA should.

The nose is fairly well balanced with a good amount of hops, mostly citrus and pine, as well as good malts with caramel and sweetness coming through. Something also seems a little off with the aroma, almost like a cleaning agent scent coming through.

The taste is overly sweet in my opinion. There is some pine and citrus in the flavor profile, but the malts really stick out. Again the caramel and huge amounts of sweetness, very candy-like. The aftertaste is just a little odd as well; maybe too much alcohol flavor sitting on the palate. Some may say it is well balanced, but IMO, it's overly sweet. It is very complex.

The mouthfeel is very syrupy. Extremely thick and has a very full body. There is some carbonation bite on the tongue, but the thickness is too much for me.. Overall, it's a decent DIPA, but I've had much better. Another good offering from Southern Tier, but not something I'd seek out again.

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

Picked this up at De Bierkoning in Amsterdam.

From a bomber into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a thicker looking compact one finger off-white head with good retention. Color is tawny or burnt orange but is tangerine when held up to the light. Perfectly clear with lower end carbonation. Head quickly fades to a thin wisp with a good ring around the glass. Splotchy wisp and ring remains but leaves only some lacing. Poured the yeast in on the second glass, which obviously came out quite cloudy.

SMELL: Pale and toasted malt with a dose of flowery and soapy hop notes. Some sweet mandarin, honeydew melon, and citrus notes as well, but this part isn't as pronounced as I'd expect for the style. A little more mild than I'd like for a DIPA.

TASTE: Pale and toasted malt with mostly floral hops and a bit of that soapiness again, though not as much as I was expecting given the nose. Some citrus and grapefruit flavors through the middle before some bitterness at the end. Finishes clean with a mild and short lived delayed aftertaste. Aftertaste is nicely bitter and floral, but unfortunately too mild to be memorable.

PALATE: Full body with medium to lower end carbonation. Creamy and almost chewy on the palate, goes down creamy smooth with a slight bite at the end to remind you of the ABV. Finishes slightly drier and warming. Very nice feel for the style.

OVERALL: A little underwhelming for the style, but that makes it quite drinkable. Not a hop bomb like a lot of these Imperial IPA's, and probably not quite as drinkable as their Hoppe, but a good beer on its own.

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

Surprised I have'nt tried this before.

A-Pours amber. Head is smaller. A bare-bones layer of off-white bubbles. Does lace well.

S-Malty before hoppy. Citrus and pine do show up in the nose but this is balanced, if not leaning more towards the malty side. Alcohol slightly noticeable.

T-Akin to the nose. Malty DIPA. Not my style. Has some hop but not enough. Sweet, caramel glazed doughnuts. Citrus does combine well with the malt bill, but it definitely is not hoppy enough for my taste. Boozy.

M-Syrupy. Medium carbonation. Kinda sticks to the tongue. Alcohol combines with the sweetness.

O/D-I now see why I have subconsciously avoided this beer (I knew it was a sweet-sided DIPA). Not really a fan here. I think I enjoyed the Oak-Aged version better because it worked well with the beers sweet tendencies. I will take any DIPA that at least tries to be hop forward before I take this beer.

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

Had on-tap at the Farmhouse in Emmaus, PA. Poured a yellow-orange color with a small white head. Minimal lacing. Aroma of citrus and earthy hops. Tasted of earthy hops, citrus (quite acidic) and a touch of sweet fruit/honey. VERY bitter.

Medium-bodied with good carbonation. Fairly one-dimensional and overall not great, but worth a try for the experience. I wouldn't get more than a sample simply because it is so dry and bitter...not very drinkable, and the style is not an excuse as I've had some very drinkable DIPA's.

3.31/5  rDev -18.7%

On tap at Shango Bistro. Clear amber with no head. The head must have faded by the time the pint arrived. Sweet, fruity aroma. Syrupy with a nutty flavor and some pine. 153 IBUs? I'm looking for some spicy hops somewhere but I'm having a hard time finding them. I think this would be a much better beer if they toned things down a bit.

3.32/5  rDev -18.4%

The color of peach skin, maybe a bit more orange. It's very clear, surprisingly so. A white head forms, but it lacks the look of most IPA in that it's mostly uniform size bubbles, it's not thick, and it doesn't retain well. It's not off to a good start. However, each swirl brings some life into it with a second wind of white, a thin spotty lace, yet still little retention.

Classic pine, with a the citrus element being orange rind. Cut grass and something else fruity that I can't put my finger on...strawberry?

Lots of malt in the taste, moreso than any hops. It's not a bad taste, just not at all what I expected out of an IIPA. Crackery crust flavor with some orange hiding in the background. A bit of white pepper rounds it out.

Not much bite. More like a pale ale than an IPA, and certainly not an IIPA. Light bodied for an Imperial??? Some bitterness, but nothing approaching what I'd call bitter. Sweet and citrusy. Almost no heat from the alcohol.

An ok beer overall, but honestly, pretty mediocre for an Imperial IPA. Not bad, but disappointing and a bit of false advertising.

3.34/5  rDev -17.9%

A - Rich amber, caramel color on the clear brew with a big frothy head and thick webs of lacing all down the sides of the glass. Appearance is really top notch.

S - Potent grapefruit and pine resin. A caramel sweetness is present. Peppery alcohol, especially as it warms. It is a little abrasive on the nose, increasingly so as it warms. The initial whiffs while inside the bottle were delightful, but the more exposed it gets the worse it becomes.

T - A bit of citrus pith, but mostly a sweetness that lingers through the finish. There is a touch of anise, A bit of a peppery alcohol flavor. Aftertaste is a lingering sweetness with The Nice, but not great.

M - Smooth and very thick to the point of being gummy. In spite of the gumminess it does an okay job at being refreshing, but the lump of gum in my throat is trying to thwart that at every turn.

D - It is pretty good. As far as double IPAs go, it is just okay. It is never bad, but the taste is just wanting. In the future, I'll be sure the have the vastly superior 2X IPA from southern tier for a fraction of the price.

3.36/5  rDev -17.4%

First off many thanks to mdfb79 for knocking out one of my wants. Cheers!

Secondly, it is worth noting the info posted on this brew contradicts what is printed on the label. My bottle states this is an 11%ABV brew not 9.5%? And how is there no pic yet? Mysterious.

At any rate poured into a pint & looks like a bottling # on the bottom but no distinguishable dating.

A: Pours a slight hazy pale color with some lighter hues to it. Like that of spun caramel sugar. Nice 1 finger thick khaki white head formed with some respectable lacing.

S: Clean fresh water and ingredients are detected by nose and are dominated with a spicy hop aroma. Some faint hints of citrus come through but mostly that earthy spice hop scent.

T: Taste leaves a little bit more to be desired. No mistake this is a big brew with very rich caramel malt and toffee like flavors. While there is a nice spicy hop bitter bite there with some citrus and pine undertones. It finishes much sweeter. Like a spicy orange juice really.

M: Overall I would say the beer has a decent cream texture to it but pretty sticky on the palate and warming towards the end.

D: Dangerous. Most IPA's get too boozy for me once they hit 10% but this one I felt is masked quite well. Probably the best thing going for this brew...if it is in fact 11%. Very smooth at such a high ABV in my opinion. I was really searching for the ABV's in the beginning but it really only starts to warm the throat towards the end.

I think there is alot to be said about designing such a massive beer and maintaining the drinkability. And I can also really appreciate that I can taste the fresh water and ingredients used here. But in the end this one finishes on the sweet side and I would have liked to see a better marriage of the hops used. The spicy hop and sweet tofee malt flavors just kind of take over. Glad to have tried for sure though!

3.37/5  rDev -17.2%

Presentation: Nice labeled 22oz brown pop top...no freshness date found

Appearance: Dark gold/burnt orange beer with a cream colored cap of large bubbles

Smell: Quite bright; there are grapefruit and orange rind hops, and just strong citrusy notes in general balanced by big caramel aromas

Taste: Big dose of earthy hops, notes of citrus, toasted biscuit as well...there's not a lot of complexity to this, and it's honestly a bit over-the-top and rough for me

Mouthfeel: Medium/heavy and obviously alcoholic

Drinkability: Medium

Conclusion: This is a bit brash for me...interesting, but nothing real special; a buddy and I split this bomber as our nightcap after an evening of tasting...1 bottle for two was definitely enough

3.38/5  rDev -17%

Received from CharlesW in Week 2 Powerball. Thank you!

Pours a very clear orange color with a small creamy white head on it. It left patchy lacing on the walls of my pint glass. I get a good whiff of this as I pour it. Dominant scents include sticky pine, ripe citrus fruit, and subtle earthiness. I also get some lesser scents including bready malt and an underlying honey sweetness smell. The taste is of very sweet honey-like malt and bitter hops. There is a bit of a caramel undertone to this beer as well. The hops seem a bit subdued and do not have the quality on the palate as they do in the nose. The mouthfeel is medium and the alcohol is very well hidden. The drinkability did not hold well for me on this beer. It was very sweet and I suspect underattenuation on this beer. That would explain a nice body and mouthfeel and an overall sweet taste.

A -- Golden copper

S -- A bit sweet, a bit piny (Honestly, I have a stuffed up nose right now, so I can't be of great detail)

T -- Hits you before you have a chance to swallow. The alcohol is quite present, but for 11%, it's not bad. Smooth, real smooth.

M -- Not as light as some other IPA's I've had.

D -- For an Imperial IPA, not bad at all. Not one of my favorites, though.

A- transparent copper-yellow. Thick 3 inch head comes from semi-vigorous pour
S- Hoppy as expected, but definitely not a hop bomb. Can almost smell the malt sweetness through the hops.
T- Very balanced. Very malty for a beer of DIPA. Alcohol is hardly detectable.
M- Thin, but somewhat oily. Carbonation and great malt/hop balance give this one a great mouthfeel.
D- Drinkability is dangerously good for a beer of this ABV. It would be possible to drink three 22 oz bombers, but probably not advisable.
Overall- A good beer. Definitely not a hop bomb. Somewhat comparable to left hand twisted sisters IPA because of the good balance and strong malt backbone.

3.4/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a gorgeous amber/copper color with a huge off white head sitting on top. Head has good retention and leaves some lacing.

Aroma is nice. A nice hop profile showcasing sweet citrus notes. Most noteably is grapefruit backed by a light maltiness.

The taste is pretty good. A subdued hoppiness with light citrus flavors and some floral notes. It's rather bland for an ipa, not much bitterness or intense flavor. I pick up some metallic notes also. Actually, I'm kind of disappointed.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and gently carbonated. It feels pretty good.

Drinkability is moderate. Flavors are easy to consume, but a bit of a bore for an IPA. I don't think I want to drink more than this bomber, probably not even the whole thing. Think I'll go find someone to share it with.

3.4/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: A nice light amber color but a little bit of cloudiness to the beer. Finger length of white head. Small amount of carb bubbles.

S: Smells strongly of carmamel malt. I do nto smell a strong aroma of hops.

T: Taste very similar to how it smells. The only difference is i initially get a taste of a small amount of citrus hops then is followed by a strong amount of caramel malt taste.

M: Pretty thick mouthfeel for a IIPA. If it were my choice, I'd have it a little smoother and crisper.

O: Overall, this is an alright beer. It seems a little off for an IIPA. Little too thick, too swett, and too rich. Not a memorable beer

3.4/5  rDev -16.5%

Appearance: Clear, copper color with one finger of head that fades with a curtain of lace.

Aroma: Sweet caramel malt over muted piney hops with some medicinal notes.

Taste: Creamy malt sweetness, then lots of spicy booze. There's bitterness towards the back end, but not a lot of depth of flavor - it's more of a metallic bitterness. Also some woodiness towards the finish which is lingering and hot with booze.

The Rest: Not a bad sipping beer, but a bit hot and rough. Stick with the 2XIPA, it has much better balance.

3.41/5  rDev -16.2%

Clear copper in color. Kind of on the lighter side of things for a double IPA if you ask me. The head is all but non existent and I would imagine that has to do with the ABV. It does leave a ring around the collar at the highest water mark of the glass. 11%? It sure doesn't look like it.

Smell is mild for the IIPA category too. There is a hop presence but it is not as kick ass as I would expect. A malt backbone lives behind the guise of hops. This isn't a bad smelling beer but a IIPA? I don't think so.

Taste is close to the scent. Poached stale hops with a sweet malt backbone. Light and uninteresting except for a great bitter bite in the finish, which is the only thing that resembles an IIPA. A light fruity cantaloupe is beaten into submission by the bitterness and the sweet malts.

Hard to tell if I have an old bottle or not. No bottled on date but based on other reviews it has to be. I sense no hint of fresh hops and the beer seems thin maybe mellowed for a double IPA. It's hard to believe this beer has 11% abv. Yeah it gives you a warmth to the belly but I've had 7 percenters that had more kick. Despite the negativity this is a tasty beer. I don't think in it's current form presented to me, is it a IIPA but I still enjoy the medium body and the bitterness. I will have to find a fresher one and see if there is a difference.

3.42/5  rDev -16%

Draught @ RedBones 7/6/06. Pours a bright redish amber color with a small off white head. Nose is syrupy sugar with some faint hop notes and a caramel malt presence. Mouthfeel is sticky and syrupy, can almost feel the sugar granules. Flavor leaves much to be desired. Hops are there but are overtaken by syrup, sugar and a sticky caramel maltiness. Finishes with a light bitterness and a sticky mouth.

Unearthly (Imperial India Pale Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company