1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Jahva (Imperial Coffee Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Jahva (Imperial Coffee Stout)Jahva (Imperial Coffee Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.40% ABV

(Beer added by: John on 02-24-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jahva (Imperial Coffee Stout) Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,207 | Reviews: 686 | Show All Ratings:
RblWthACoz

Pours like molasses, thick and almost slow. Pitch black. Small tan head that forms after a few seconds. Amazing. Nose is minor coffee with an extremely full fragrance of dark chocolate. I could take a whiff of this one for hours on end. If it is as good on the flavor as it has been to now, this might just be one to remember. Flavor. Oh my. Hearty like you don’t even know. Massive malts. Molasses is there too. Just a thick funky presenting…I mean, hello! Feel is thick on the liquid but smooth. On the carbonation it is a bit thin, but just right I think. What? Could it be? Another straight 5 beer? Man. This is what I love. I am just sitting here, and I decide to have one more beer before I pass out for the night, and what do you know; a perfect scored beer. If you haven’t tried this beer and you willingly pass it up, I have to say I have to question my respect for you. This is a beer that is crafted so well, it absolutely must be tried. I can’t believe I waited so long to try it myself.

01-01-2008 02:15:47 | More by RblWthACoz
jdg204

4.97/5  rDev +22.1%

Was in upstate NY this week and picked up a 750 ml bottle at a great beer store in Rochester. Heard great things about Southern Tier and this was my first experience.

A: This beer has a beautiful jet black body with a dark one finger mocha head. The head falls very slowly and evenly leaving only a rim on the edge.

S: It has powerful chocolate and coffee flavors with some roasted malt in the background. This is one of those aromas that draws you in and forces you to drink immediately.

T: The first thing I thought of as I sipped this beer was how creamy it was. Everything was blended perfectly and I could only start to pick out the specific flavors at the end of the flavor. Of those flavors, very strong coffee and chocolate dominated.

M: It has a perfectly heavy body and leaves a great aftertaste.

D: This is my new #1 beer. Incredible how smooth this was too drink for a brew of this strength. Extremely impressed by Southern Tier and I'll make it a point to try a few more!

09-28-2008 15:43:50 | More by jdg204
stumac

4.9/5  rDev +20.4%

this brew pours jet black with a nice big sandy brown, bubbly head. sports great retentive lacing. the nose is coffee, roasty malts, dark cherries, prunes, subtle alcohol, a sweet inviting aroma, well don't mind if I do...the taste is very smoothe! big coffee taste, smoothe roasted malts, not much hops here, I taste no alcohol, low carbo, full bodied. Gotta put this beer up high on my list. Why don't they serve this at StarBucks!?

10-14-2008 16:29:37 | More by stumac
corby112

4.9/5  rDev +20.4%

Pours pitch black with a foamy coffee-colored head that settles into a lasting lacing. Roasted coffee aroma with chocolate maltiness, toffee, caramel, sweet alcohol, hops and candi sugar. Very quaffable with the ABV very well hidden. I can't believe this beer is 12%. Roasted coffee dominated the flavor with choclate malt, caramel, toffee, oatmeal and candi sugar notes and a sweet alcohol and dry hoppy finish. Sooo smooth.

12-06-2008 09:04:56 | More by corby112
irishkyle21

Ontario (Canada)

4.88/5  rDev +19.9%

Pours with a dark brown head. Good retention and lacing. The color is pitch black, no light gets through.

Smells of sweet roasted (almost burnt) malt, chocolate covered coffee beans, very shy hops and molasses.

The mouthfeel is so thick, chewy and creamy I need a knife and fork. This is one of the richest beers I have had. Tastes of roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, molasses and a sweet bitter finish. WOW!

01-06-2008 06:45:08 | More by irishkyle21
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

4.88/5  rDev +19.9%

I must say that the first sip was a wake up call with a huge coffee note and a thick mouthfeel that went on forever. Jet Black with a nose redolent of chocolate cake and expresso shots backed with hops this is a beer to be savoured. I really loved this beer because it was so over the top ( I have never tasted Darklord/ Sexual Chocolate etc but rather base my style benchmarks on Old Rasputin/ Brooklyn/Peche Mortel). It was boozy, caffeinated and chocolaty as all heck and I couldn't get enough. Now to get more ( thank God it's available in BC) and cellar some

10-29-2009 20:02:35 | More by canucklehead
generalnotsew

Tennessee

4.88/5  rDev +19.9%

Super black with off white head. Semi sweet bitter dark chocolate in the nose and a really strong coffee presence. Coffee is the front runner in taste. Beautifully intergrated with a delicate bitterness and sweet satisfying chocolate. Really great stout that didn't fail to impress. Really wish I had gotten more.

09-27-2010 00:39:35 | More by generalnotsew
Metalmonk

4.85/5  rDev +19.2%

Enjoyed this with a visiting friend and my wife, and everyone absolutely loved it.

Appearance is black, deep deep black, with a brown collar.

Aroma brings in coffee (surprise, surprise), mocha, dusty cocoa, and a hint of anise. Alcohol underscores it all, giving a wilder edge.

Flavor is unbelievable. If I could rate it higher, I would. I want to live in this beer. I want to be this beer. The coffee used would probably make an incredible cup of joe all by itself; must be a ridiculously high-quality bean. Along with it comes a soothing lactic/steamed-milk sweetness and light touch of black licorice. Finish offers further depth, bringing in hops, chocolate-covered espresso beans and a light alcohol touch. Makes for a bright, exciting, soothing, comfort-beer experience.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Fluffy...frothy...creamy...milky...

One of the smoothest, most drinkable beers above 10% that I can recall. I'll give it exceptional drinkability because it's just that frickin' good. No way would I ever turn this down. Would make an equally good breakfast or evening dessert beer. [Addendum: the suggested drinking temp on the label is way too low...this is perfect at cellar temperature and no colder...]

03-16-2008 18:07:44 | More by Metalmonk
czfreeman

4.85/5  rDev +19.2%

Good Morning!! my Sunday brunch treat. This 22oz bottle of liquid espresso pours out pitch French roast black.Bitter chocolate black. The head on this cup of goodness is a deep roasted tan color, looks absolutley delicious.
Smells of fine coffee liquors, chocolates, fudge, malty, spiked with touches of a really quality roasted coffee. Smells so good, I mean WOW!
Taste is....oh holy shit. This is seriously good stuff. Tastes of chocolates, fudges, vanilla-burbon like warmness. Don't misunderstand, this does not indicate anything even remotley sickenley sweet. This is a beautiful balanace of chocolate roasted coffees, malts, molasses, the lingering taste in my mouth is Hersheys bar. Mouthfeel is so thick, so rich and creamy that I swear this is one of the best black Russian iced coffees Ive had.

This was a fantastic experience, I have to say the best coffee stout Ive had to date is Mikkeller's Beer Geek Breakfast, but Jahva is an extremely close, much more affordable second.

06-30-2008 18:03:52 | More by czfreeman
bwyker

4.83/5  rDev +18.7%

Poured from a bomber into a chalice. Brewed November 22, 2005.

Appearance: Pours a very dark mahogany. On the second pour a 1/2 inch head of redish-brown foam formed, which reminded me of the foam of a cuban espresso. Cherry-tinted edges fill with tiny speckles of carbonation that almost look like coffee grinds. Thin cashew colored foam settled around the glass.

Smell: Blown away by huge punches of coffee and cocoa.

Taste: Immediately taste dark roasted coffee, sweetened with light molasses or dark fruit. Muted cherry-like tartness. Earthy hop bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly heavy body. Very chewy and rich. Slight alcohol burn in the finish.

Drinkability: I don’t think I’ve ever had a heavier beer in my life. However, it’s addictively delicious in a thick chocolate moose kind of way. I could easily drink many servings. The alcohol is only slightly noticed in the finish. It’ll take a while to get through the glass, so the 12% ABV probably won’t be too overwhelming.

09-20-2006 21:20:55 | More by bwyker
daythree16

Tennessee

4.83/5  rDev +18.7%

Into a snifter it pours black as night with a tan one-finger head that sticks around for quite a while.

Aromas of primarily coffee and caramel with a little chocolate and nuttiness. Taste is big roasty malt, some nuttiness, and an awesome chocolate-coffee finish with a touch of maple. Despite the coffee flavor, there is very little bitterness. The alcohol is also extremely well hidden. If the label didn't say it, I wouldn't believe it was 12%. This is one phenomenal coffee beer, and I definitely wish I had more.

Mouthfeel is thick, smooth, and creamy. Drinkability is out of this world for a 12% ABV coffee beer.

12-05-2008 19:47:20 | More by daythree16
drseamus

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

Had a mug of this on draft at Mahars. I had already had it in the bottle but when I saw it on draft I got it immediately.

S: The aroma was not as strong as I would have liked, but was great none the less. It has powerful chocolate and coffee flavors with some roasted malt in the background. This is one of those aromas that draws you in and forces you to drink immediately.

M: It has a perfectly heavy body and leaves a great aftertaste.

D: This might be my new favorite beer. Directly after I finish this review, I am going to buy a case of this to keep. The only reason it's not a 5 is that the ABV is a bit high to drink a lot of.

04-20-2007 22:25:44 | More by drseamus
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

Impenetrable onyx with no highlights. None. The chocolate nougat colored head (one of the darkest that I've ever seen) is milkshake thick and milkshake creamy. At the current rate of descent, it should be gone sometime around noon tomorrow. I was already completely blown away, but the thick curtain of lace, that is just now beginning to shred, is the icing on this masterpiece of a double stout.

The aroma is pretty much everything that a lover of coffee-infused stouts could ever hope for. It's a perfect marriage of hugely roasted barley and (Jamaican Blue Mountain) coffee. It's big and it's bold and it's fudge-like and it's crushed coffee bean-like and it's... well, it's just a treat for the nose.

Out-freakin-standing! The silk-screened label tells me that this bomber of Jahva was brewed on November 22, 2005 (thanks to Calico for a long-ago trade). I had a few minor doubts about how well it had held up, but those of you cellaring two year old bottles have no worries. This beer is drinking beautifully right now and tastes like it has another year or two on it. At least.

The only coffee stout that I can recall that I liked this much was AleSmith Speedway Stout. The thing that I like best about Jahva is the raging river of melted chocolate that floods my mouth each time the glass is upended. Coffee is present, no doubt about that, but there's a huge amount of fudgiliciouness present that puts this beer in a whole 'nother league.

I'm intrigued by the fact that Cascade and Columbus hops (two of my favorites) are in use, and by the fact that there are 125 IBUs reported to be present. The hop attack has faded to some extent, but they're still kicking and (muffled) screaming on the white grapefruit juice, chocolate, dark caramel and molasses finish. Roasted malt is still king by a mile and a half. Amazingly enough, a spreading warmth is the only evidence of alcohol.

I've used the chocolate comparison again and again, but, dammit, it fits. The mouthfeel is the beer equivalent of a melted Hershey bar. It's thick and rich and is as viscous as they come. Anyone who wonders what chewy beer feels like, take a gulp of this bad boy.

I knew that Jahva Imperial Coffee Stout would be great beer, but I didn't know that it would be one of the best beers that I've ever had. Of course, other than the less than stellar Tripel, these guys can do no wrong in my eyes. Maybe those two years in my cellar had something to do with it, who knows? What I do know is that if I see Jahva on my trip to Ohio next week, I'm cleaning out the store.

09-12-2007 22:12:13 | More by BuckeyeNation
RonfromJersey

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

Perfect black body, not a highlight to be seen, topped by a level finger of dark beige foam.

Strong coffee aroma, with chocolate highlights.

Taste gets off with big coffee, a smooth semi-sweet undercurrent of malt, a big splash of chocolate, and a crisp hop bite at the swallow. Its got it all.

Big, thick, chewy, and slick mouthfeel. Amazing drinkability for something so big in so many ways.

A terrific beer from one of the east coast's best breweries.

09-21-2008 05:14:17 | More by RonfromJersey
ccrida

Oregon

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

Served in their tall, flared snifter/tulip, which is very cool and something I'd not seen before! I have to say, these guys have been one of my favorite brewery's from my days living back East, even before their big beer series, but I never really noticed the logo (that's on this glass). Very classic, covering all the key aspects of the beer lifecycle - grain, hops, mash paddle and goblet. Jahva is a dark black with a dense tan head that leaves scattered lace.

Smell is nice, big iced espresso vibe. Looking back on my review of this bottled, it's much more pure coffee, some milk chocolate too, but way richer overall.

Taste is big coffee and chocolate syrup, much better then the bottle I had a few years back (whichhad a few months of cellaring at least). I'd say this one is definitely better fresh, wow. Sweet for sure, but the roast of the stout and coffee cuts it nicely. Really hitting the spot for me, I recognize I have a bit of a sweet tooth, especially with stouts, and this one really hits it.

Mouthfeel is smooth, some viscosity for sure but still a medium body. The dryness on the finish is the only real indication of the ABV. Some may say it's too thick, but I like the chocolate syrup association it provides.

Drinkability is dangerously high. Wow. Between the awesome taste, smoothness, reasonable price and (seasonable) availability, this is one of the best strong American stouts fresh, period. Way better then the bottle I had, I'm so glad I went for it. I'll be here all week, and will probably make this my night cap every time!

05-06-2009 23:51:02 | More by ccrida
Duhast500

Rhode Island

4.78/5  rDev +17.4%

Poured from the tap into a tasting glass.

The color is a dark black with a brownish two fingers of light brown foamy head with some nice lacing.

The smell is a espresso coffee flavor and a bit of burnt malt. Some coffee bean flavor as well.

The taste is a bit milky with a nice smooth burnt coffee flavor with a bit of a creamy feel. Some nice burnt malts, mocha and espresso in the flavor of the taste as well. It does not have a sugary feel to it which is what I was expecting but is not there.

The mouth feel is smooth and goes down very well. No bite to this high ABV brew. This brew is very satisfying.

04-20-2009 17:14:40 | More by Duhast500
rowingbrewer

4.78/5  rDev +17.4%

Wow what a great beer, even with a few years on it the coffee is still there.

This beer pours dark dark brown to pitch black with a nice thick coffee colored head that lasts. the smell is obviously coffee up front with a mix of slight roastiness and sweetness after that. the taste of coffee is not as prominent as in the smell but it is still there and the beer is a little roasty and slightly sweet as well. the mouthfeel is full and well carbonated. overall an excellent stout, will definitely grab more of these

12-21-2011 13:53:11 | More by rowingbrewer
Franchise

Oregon

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours a jet black color leaving a thick brown head. The aroma is sweet, coffee, caramel, chocolate, espresso, brisk spicy hops. The taste mirrors the nose, chocolate upfront, sweet caramel, syrupy mouth feel, and the coffee dominates this stout in a good way leaving a chocolate syrup finish in the back of the throat. This is one delicious stout from start to finish with a surprising minimal alcohol feel on the palate for a 12% stout.

07-27-2007 16:11:23 | More by Franchise
DrinkinBuddy

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured a completely midnight black with a dark brown 1 finger head. Head dimished to 1/4 finger and left ample amount of lacing. Smell is very strong coffee with slight chocolate malt and alcohol is definately present in scent alone. The taste is unbelievable! One word:COFFEE! That's not all though: chocolate is lingering with a nice earthy/woody followup, and a very pleasant hop finish. For 12 abv, I'm amazed by the lack of any alcohol taste in this brew. Scent had it, but taste definately hides it well. Leaves a nice warm feeling in your stomach, as if you had just taken a shot of liquor! Amazing!! Mouthfeel is great as well. Perfect balance of malt and carbonation. Drinkability is a definate 4.5, although it is 12 abv, I could have easily taken a couple of these, but I know my limits. All in all, a very extraordinary brew, and a great twist of an american dub stout.

08-30-2007 03:18:26 | More by DrinkinBuddy
slagle9480

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

A: Pure darkness. Decent sized head.

S: Roasted coffee beans with some serious chocolate.

T: Wow. This is awesome. Very coffee-ish taste. There's a chocolate taste that completes this beer.

M: Very full. Very smooth. Very satisfying.

D: I could drink this brew all day. Southern Tier is f'in amazing. This is a perfect dessert/bedtime beer. You can't go wrong with Jah-va.

09-02-2007 20:12:16 | More by slagle9480
Damian

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

Drank from a 650 ml/1 pt. 6 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Connecticut Beverage Mart, Newington, CT
Brewed in Winter 2008

Poured a viscous, inky black with brown edges when held to the light. A frothy film of cocoa colored bubbles disappeared within seconds.

The aroma was outrageous. "Coffee rich" hardly does justice to describe it. Freshly brewed coffee initially came to mind, yet later I would say the aroma was more akin to sticking you nose into a bag of freshly ground coffee beans.

The taste was terrific yet not as intense as the aroma (but that is not saying much). Ultra smooth with deep roasted malts up front. Black coffee and oak came through in the center and were balanced off nicely by some creamy and sweet (brown sugar and toffee) notes. The finish was slightly hoppy and resiny with deep roasted malts and oak coming through as well. A piney aftertaste lingered. As the beer warmed, some bourbon characteristics became noticeable and the hoppiness seemed to intensify in the finish.

The mouthfeel was outstanding. Ridiculously full-bodied, creamy, frothy and luscious on the palate with a fine, mild carbonation. Mouth coating.

Drinkability was simply astounding for a 12% ABV beer. If I did not know any better, I would have guessed it to be around half this percentage.

This is a super tasty, smooth and immensely enjoyable beer. The only knock I have against it is that it is not terribly complex. Like many of the other beers in Southern Tier's "big beer" series, this one is very focused. Fans of both stouts and coffee should definitely take a liking to this gem.

05-03-2008 20:26:40 | More by Damian
DoubleJ

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

I'm not sure if I need a caffeine boost to go with all that alcohol, but if it tastes good, I'll take it. On to the beer:

Pours thick and opaque, but not as thick as other Impy Stouts. The head retention is good. Nose is big on coffee with a kick of smoked malts. The taste is sweeter than I was expecting; big on lactose and dairy creamer, and it balances out the mild coffee flavors and deceiving alcohol in the body. Metallic hops start to generate some bitterness on the palate towards the end of each drink. Medium heavy mouthfeel, but nothing that weighs you down. Drinks surprisingly easy too.

Wow, that is really good. So tempting yet so deceiving. OK Southern Tier, you can keep your caffeine in this coffee infused nectar.

07-22-2008 04:39:13 | More by DoubleJ
pwoods

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

Thanks to FtownThrowDown for sharing this bottle. Batch 1, before they seemingly dumbed down the recipe... or something.

22oz. brown bottle poured into a snifter. Notes

A: Pours deep brown like dark coffee. Medium head forms and falls fast. Nice lacing.

S: Lots of roasted grains and strong black coffee. Rich molasses sweetness and maybe some vanilla. Some smokiness. Incredibly intense and complex.

T/M: So robust. Huge mouthfeel. Big coffee, potent and thick and rich chocolate. Sweet molasses and light vanilla. Nice smokiness. Great aged alcohol, smooth and mellow. Full bodied, smooth carbonation, and delicious.

D: It's big but so damn satisfying. Please return to the original recipe!(that goes for all the original Blackwater Series)

10-20-2009 01:31:19 | More by pwoods
esv

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

A) 3/4" head off of a stiff pour into a red wine glass. Darker tan head. Creamy head. Steadily deflates. Black. Black as night.

Black as sin.

S) Dark roasted malts. Coffee.

I want you, I want you so bad.

T) Deep dark raspberry cigars. Sweet-malt and bitter-burnt clash in perfect unison. Bumping uglies in the night, in perfect time.

A complete, beautifully-bitter finish.

M) Thick and sticky. Sticky-thick and sweet.

Sweet, thick and sticky.

So good, so good.

07-31-2010 22:27:13 | More by esv
martyl1000

Wisconsin

4.73/5  rDev +16.2%

Other than the forgettable aroma, this brew is just to my liking. Which is to say sweet x 2 that tames the coffee bitterness to a round creaminess.

I've heard it is hopped to 125 IBUs, but you'd never know it. In a tulip glass the brown head lasts and lasts while the beer is cold. Which, btw, you'd think you would want to serve this beer at cellar temp, but that's a mistake, as the flavor fades the warmer it gets.

I don't get the hop bitterness that everyone else does. In fact, I'd be somewhat ashamed to let on how much I like this sweetness in front of my more hop-militant Wisconsin friends.

I don't know which of them I like better, this or MOcha, which I've had on tap during Mad Craft Beer Week (along w/ Creme Brulee Stout, which is more dessert than beer).

06-27-2012 05:31:24 | More by martyl1000