Jahva (Imperial Coffee Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Jahva (Imperial Coffee Stout)Jahva (Imperial Coffee Stout)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.40% ABV

(Beer added by: John on 02-24-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jahva (Imperial Coffee Stout) Alström Bros
BCash

05-18-2012 08:11:33 | More by BCash
BGsWo22

1.75/5  rDev -57%

03-20-2013 23:52:21 | More by BGsWo22
MiScusi

1.8/5  rDev -55.8%

I received this bottle in January or February I believe...

Pours super thick black, with a dark dark brown head that cascades down and actually looks awesome as it does. The smell and taste both don't excite me too much. Some sourish black malt aspects to it, the coffee comes through Ok but this thing is so thick it's not really even fun to drink. I split a bottle of this with friends and they didn't dig it either... I couldn't finish the few ounces I had and wouldn't even think of ever trying it again.

07-27-2008 07:13:11 | More by MiScusi
Rempo

Indiana

11-20-2011 20:18:41 | More by Rempo
wyattshotmaker

2.1/5  rDev -48.4%

kinda perplexed. i remember having a bottle of this and thinking it was pretty good. this is absolutely terrible.

pours black with a nice tan head, looks pretty good. smells grain-y with a hint of coffee and some caramel. not very appealing.

taste it just meh. grainy, hints of chocolate and coffee, finishes with a horrid medicinal after taste.

mouthfeel is pretty thin. i typically really enjoy all of the southern tier blackwater beers but this is worth passing and then some.

10-25-2010 02:29:31 | More by wyattshotmaker
SGDJosh

2.25/5  rDev -44.7%

From notes taken on 9/9 at home:

A – Pours super dark as expected, but not thick. No head, just a little lacing on top.

S – Really lacking on the coffee. All I really get is dark malt and alcohol. Lots of alcohol on the nose which is usually a bad thing for me.

T – Whoa at the alcohol! I was expecting it after the nose but jeez. Coffee is very faint, maybe some chocolate notes but they are wiped clean off of the palate by the alcohol.

M – Body is way too light. Carbonation is crisp but the whole mouthfeel is a burning alcohol sensation.

O – Not impressed. As of lover of big & dark beers I was very disappointed. The coffee influence just wasn’t there for me. I’m hoping that I just happened to get a young bottle. I am going to buy another to cellar up for a while and revisit this review. After having the Crème Brulee Stout from the same series I was really looking forward to this one. Way too boozy for my likes!

09-14-2012 13:36:29 | More by SGDJosh
mmsimmons

2.25/5  rDev -44.7%

12-05-2012 02:14:35 | More by mmsimmons
ronhocker

Wisconsin

2.4/5  rDev -41%

Had this on tap after a softball game in west allis, wi. Wasn't sure what it was at first, but confirmed later and was shocked to the reviews on beer advocate. The entire softball team agreed in summary that this beer was "maple syrup and fleichman's vodka".

The appearance was very dark as expected, no issues there.

Smell was nothing special either.

The final gravity must be very high, as this beer is extremely sweet. The alcohol is not well hidden like other beers. Coffee is present, but perhaps only part of the sweetness.

Very thick body, I left half of my pour on the table. And actually this week I've been sampling imperial stouts all around as a I prepare to make one myself.

To me (and the rest of the team drinking the pitcher), this seemed similar to an average homebrew. However, even the alstrom bro's give high marks.

06-02-2009 02:57:44 | More by ronhocker
chrispoint

Connecticut

02-18-2012 17:32:44 | More by chrispoint
hlaus

04-08-2012 01:46:06 | More by hlaus
jessecarr

2.5/5  rDev -38.6%

Why all the hype on this one? Maybe 06 and 07 were better, but the 08 batch leaves much to be desired.

Maybe I fell victim to the "beer hype," but I had healthy anticipation of a great Imperial Stout. This "JAHVA" tasted nothing like coffee, smelled nothing like coffee, and was runny and liquidy like a cola.

The pour into a snifter left a bit of head initially, but it soon dwindled to that runny, cola texture. The color was nice--a deep brown caramel color, but then the first whiff left me confused.

The bottle boasts a rare coffee infusion, but on the nose, this smells very bland. Alcohol dominates the nose, and I was not surprised at all to immediately notice the lack of coffee flavor on my first sip. I warmed the glass, hoping for an improvement, but--as is the case with below average imperial stouts--the quality decreased even further as it warmed.

I had to make myself finish the beer (to rationalize dropping $9 on this waste of a bomber), which is a horrible testimony.

This beer got me mad. Let's step it up next year Southern Tier!

05-10-2008 15:33:35 | More by jessecarr
ajs4bd

Missouri

08-20-2012 14:34:23 | More by ajs4bd
Jamesthebrit

04-26-2012 19:40:52 | More by Jamesthebrit
chiral3

2.58/5  rDev -36.6%

Picked up only one bottle. First time.

I was not impressed by this beer at all. The coffee might have been good, and perhaps this is its noveltly, but it lacked in complexity, mouthfeel, toasted chocolate dark malt, etc.

Very little aroma outside of the coffee. Not much head.

Front of the the swallow yields coffee. This quickly graduates to uninteresting stout (not, in my opinion, imperial), and finishes with an overly sweet aftertaste.

04-12-2009 21:40:56 | More by chiral3
BrewCrew2010

Mississippi

2.58/5  rDev -36.6%

A: This beer is your typical coffee stout in the sense that it is black with a brown head. The head itself disappears as soon as you're done pouring except it does leave thin line of foam which is sticky to remind you that it was once there.

S: A thick coffee/mocha fragrance is quickly detected in this beer as well as chocolate, brown sugar, and molasses. Hints of malts can be picked up as well as traces of burning alcohol.

T: Very disappointed in this beer being that it smelled so good. Flavors of roasted coffee and chocolate are very delicious, but are quickly overwhelmed with the burn of alcohol. It makes it very difficult to drink and unpleasant. Not a complex beer at all. Almost like 2 day old coffee with vodka in it. If the alcohol wasn't so powerful, it would be a decent beer.

M: Full-bodied with little carbonation. Very dry, but the texture reminds me of syrup.

D: I'm glad I tried it because I heard so many good things about this, but I was very disappointed. I definately wouldn't go out of my way to try this again. Wouldn't recommend this.

08-14-2010 00:50:53 | More by BrewCrew2010
MuddyFeet

2.63/5  rDev -35.4%

Served on-tap in a 12-ounce glass at Sunset in Boston.

Pourevery dark brown. Like liquid chocolate. Not quite like black coffee but a slight brown hue was present. A wafting aroma of coffee and bitter malts rose out of the tulip glass.

The flavor as over-the-top. When making this beer it was as if tey wanted to jump on the band wagon of coffee stouts and make a big ass version. I was looking for cream and sugar it was so bitter with coffee grinds. Thought I was gonna be picking the grinds out of my teeth. Completely out of balance with not much of anything else going on. Perhaps a little bit of nuts. Medium to full body that seemed to thicken as the beer warmed. Really had to force myself to finish the glass.

03-12-2007 13:15:02 | More by MuddyFeet
BMoney575

2.7/5  rDev -33.7%

Sampled on 6-29-08
2008 Vintage

Pours a completely opaque black, with not much head at all.

Smell is very sweet and boozy, with a touch of earthy coffee. Not much coffee, though.

Taste is kind of stouty, but mostly a bland, dry, malt boozefest. I don't get any coffee, not even coffee bitterness. It's like a joke that I'm not in on.

Mouthfeel is decent, but too thin for the alcohol.

Drinkability is poor, unless your purpose is to get drunk. In that case it's awesome.

Overall, I keep giving Southern Tier chances, and most of the time they disappoint.

06-29-2008 21:34:56 | More by BMoney575
GossageBrewery

Missouri

2.7/5  rDev -33.7%

Poured this Imperial Stout from a 22 oz brown bomber into a pint glass. The beer poured a dark brown color and produced a nice thick tan head. The head was nice and thick. Above average lacing. The Aroma was very nice, it was dominated by Chocolate and coffee. The taste of the beer was full in body, very thick. The stout was full of chocolate and coffee flavor but it tasted like it was full of some sort of liquor. This is not a beer that you can drink quickly- Overall, the beer while it looked and smelled good, I felt it was to over the top- the strong liquor taste was to much for me to look past- so much so I didnt enjoy it- I think they could have found a better balance. If they were going for a BIG BEER they more than succeeded. Not my cup of tea.

06-18-2011 18:58:10 | More by GossageBrewery
ricke

Sweden

2.73/5  rDev -32.9%

A: Very dark brown with a small beige head that settles rather quickly and leaves some lacings.

S: Roasted malts, wood, powdered chocolate, some notes of coffee and some strange notes of leafy peppery hops, blue cheese and cardboard. I suspect that there's something wrong here, perhaps it's on it's way to oxidation and infection.

T: There's restrained strange flavors as well. The taste is very sweet, and I mean really sugary sweet with lots of coffee and chocolate notes. The flavors are not very rich, and I don't get a genuine espresso feeling from the coffee. Roasted malts and some notes of dark fruits. Hints of cardboard and leafy hops. The finish is very bitter with notes of warming sweet alcohol, coffee and blue cheese. This is one messy beer.

M: Full bodied and smooth. The mouthfeel is the highlight of this one.

D: Hard to tell if this bottle was ok, or if there was something wrong with it. Something seemed wrong, but it wasn't a horrible mess. It was just edgy and strange with some odd flavors and aromas. But either way, it doesn't seem to be a good imperial coffee stout.

10-18-2009 22:47:35 | More by ricke

2.78/5  rDev -31.7%

From 22oz bomber to Bruges hybrid glass on 4/4/12
*From notes

Vintage 2010

A: If I wanted a Brown Ale, I'd buy one. Sadly, this is much lighter in color then your average brown, and a big pour disappoints - yielding no real head, lacing or collar to speak of.

S: Peanut butter and unseasoned oatmeal.

T: Again, lots of oats. Not a lot of coffee or residual sugar. I'm not too fond of this one.

M: Thin and uninspired. It lacks not only carbonation, but body too.

O: Don't age this beer, folks. I write this review to tell you that putting this one in the cellar was a mistake. Ok, so I lost the bottle in there for much longer then originally expected, but be warned: unlike a lot of ST's Impy Stouts, this one must be consumed as fresh as possible. As it is, you ask?

Not good.

04-05-2012 21:56:10 | More by Rhettroactive
badboyrsl84

2.8/5  rDev -31.2%

It pours black into pint glass with no head.

The smell is the same as the mokah. Nothing special. Its alcohol and I can't tell what else. Maybe some chocolate.

The taste isn't very appealing at all. Carbonation overpowering with nothing more. It finishes with a hint of Java I guess.

Nothing special especially after the victory at sea. I'm really disappointed with this one.

02-28-2011 07:49:53 | More by badboyrsl84
jmatthew

2.8/5  rDev -31.2%

A thick oily black pool of liquid in the glass with very little head retention. Faint hints of ruby in the highlights but mostly just dark and intimidating. The inviting smell is earthy with chocolate roasted malts and a pronounced coffee aroma. Absolutely overpowering sweetness upon tasting. Sweet dark chocolate with more of a syrupy coffee liqueur flavor than actual bitter coffee beans. Thick, oily and medicinal with a touch of dark fruit, but the coffee does however bring things back in check with a touch of bitterness towards the very end. Finishes with warmth. I had to set the 22oz bottle aside, and it was much better later on in the night as a dessert beer, but I simply found the sweetness overly dominant and unsatisfying.

09-06-2006 17:22:31 | More by jmatthew
FrognutUnl

2.85/5  rDev -30%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours very deep brown bordering on black with a head that barely reaches up the glass. The nose yields a mild choclatey coffee smell, but so far not a whole lot to keep me interested. The coffee is mild at first that begins to poke out a little more as I work through the glass, but enough to satisfy me that it is an imperial coffee stout. There is also a mild roasty character to the beer and very little hint of the 12% ABV. It leaves a sticky, creamy, smooth feeling on the way down with very little carbination tickling the tongue. Overall, I felt a little let down by this beer. I was expecting more of a coffee flavor to be present and consider this brew to be a little below average considering the advertised style.

05-14-2008 01:25:07 | More by FrognutUnl