Ruppert's Dark - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Ruppert's Dark
No picture uploaded.

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

English Dark Mild Ale |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: granger10 on 07-05-2006)
Reviews by kingothewoods:

I also had this beer at a restaurant called Clementine's in South Haven, MI.

Very dark brown color almost black. It did have a little head on the top but not much. Loved the smell of coffee, heavy roast malts, and chocolate.

All the smells come through with the great taste. The locals suggested this one to me and they were right on. This one wasn't heavy like I expected so I had another.

kingothewoods, Nov 01, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

I had this at Clementine's in South Haven, MI. Waitress told me it was brewed by Southern Tier, so I guess this is where I put it. Lots of old school type signs referring to Ruppert's Dark Ale and it's priced cheaper than the macros.

Pours a pitch black color with mohagany references when put to light and a medium bubbly tan head. Not many bubbles rising to the top but the head holds solidy. Lacing is moderate.

Aroma is strongly roasted with lots of black patent malt notes. A bit of tobacco and hints of smoke arise. Low biting bitterness and acidity linger.

Taste is really strong on roasted barley and black patent notes. I love this flavor but I could see how it could be offputting to some. The roasty flavor doesn't impart any coffee flavors like one might think but more of a chocoate bitterness. Slight toasted bready flavors hold the base. Hops are quite weak though bitterness seems rather high from the grains. Finish is cut short by the acidity and by what I believe to be a lack in alcohol.

Mouthfeel is odd. I like the roastedness but it could get a bit overbearing. Body is lighter but not really creamy enough. The low carbonation helps for session purposes but I'd like a bit more liveliness. The same can be said for the lower alcohol feel to the beer.

Drinkability was good for 2 pints but I wanted no more after that. The black patent character just got too strong and without any other dominant flavor to counter, I was done. But up to that point I really enjoyed this old school style beer and will definitely get it again when I'm back at Clementine's.

As for style, I have no idea. There's some Dark Mild qualities and some Dry Stout qualities along with even some Schwarzbier qualities. I'm going to email Southern Tier and see if they could shed some light on this beer.

granger10, Jul 05, 2006

krome, Mar 29, 2014

jgunther71, Mar 30, 2014
4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

Draft from Clementine's in South Haven, MI. It seemed quite odd to find this rare beer there as their beer selection was not very good - with the exception of a Bell's beer or two (brewed 30 miles away). It came served with a small head that quickly dissipated. The color was dark full brown. The taste was very close to a dark ale with a nice roasted malt and very mild citrus coming through. A sweeter tasting beer, but not over done. This was a good session beer for a cold rainy afternoon. Very drinkable and a nice surprise.

aayooper, Oct 03, 2006

AlMarzo, Dec 17, 2011
Ruppert's Dark from Southern Tier Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.