Heavy Weizen (Imperial Unfiltered Wheat Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Heavy Weizen (Imperial Unfiltered Wheat Ale)Heavy Weizen (Imperial Unfiltered Wheat Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Hefeweizen |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: rarevos on 09-24-2006)
2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

logicalparadox, Dec 22, 2011
2.55/5  rDev -34.1%

Sampled on 5-13-08

Pours a clear golden color, with a filmy head that yields huge, sticky lacing.

Smell is very Belgian, sweet, and fruity, lots of yeast and a hint of booze.

Taste is Belgian yeast at first, then a sweet malt. The finish is ghastly. A bitter, soapy, watery, metallic flavor slides in. It tastes like the first batch they made after they bleached the tank.

Mouthfeel is alright, too thin and watery.

Drinkability is not good, the flavor just isn't there.

Overall, a disappointment. At least it's 8%.

BMoney575, May 14, 2008
2.6/5  rDev -32.8%

2/17/2007 $5.49 22 oz. 8.00% No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a hazy yellow in color adorned by over an inch of tight fluffy white head that is slow to settle.

Aroma:

Bursts of clove, banana, a touch of citrus, and an odd yeasty funk.

Thin, insipid mouthfeel is followed by a dash of bubblegum sweetness coupled with an odd alcoholic bread mess that permeates the mouth and overwhelms the senses. This is a disappointment to say the least. Flavors are off to the point of being unpleasant. Down the drain you go, hopefully this is a bad bottle.

cbl2, Feb 17, 2007
2.78/5  rDev -28.2%

Had this on tap at the brewery on 7-3-10. The beer was a cloudy yellow with a fairly nice sized head on it. I drank this without any fruit added. The beer probably would have been pretty good with a wedge of orange in it but I got the beer and that was all. This beer was a pretty standard hefeweizen. Couldn't honestly tell that it was an imperial in some way.

Knapp85, Mar 29, 2011
2.8/5  rDev -27.6%

The pour was nice,light and hazy in color with a nice cap of white hanging over the top of the glass. Nice rich looking head of foam on the top of the glass here now as well, nicely done I have to say. Aroma immediately is a bit boozy with hints of grass, touches of hops, and a light fruit note that seems to pick up the warmer it gets. Interesting flavor profile as well here. Not at all what I was expecting. Hints of grapefruit, a touch of herbal, floral notes and a really nice and well laid out malty background. Quite nicely done I have to admit. Warming seems to bring out touches of pear and apricot and a definite grape flavor finishes it off rather nicely.

Overall a very solid and very strong ale here. Light in body but it packed a wallop. Definitely a one and done for me.

mikesgroove, May 02, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Nice copper body with lively carbonation. Big white head that retains very well in its fluffy state.

S - Big wheat presence with a strange sweetness I think from the alcohol. Slight citrus hop aroma adds an odd mix to the nose especially with the maltiness in the air. Overall kinda smells like fresh cut hay with a touch added citrus.

T&M - The flavors just don't mesh well with me. This has the oddest flavor but I can't quite put my finger on what it is... but bubblegum is the only thing that comes to mind. At first sip it is nice and wheaty, which I like. Then the warm alcohol comes into play with some sweetness but the citrus hops are bitter enough to make the wheat and alcohol get thrown off balance. Then the bready malts come in and takes this in another direction. Kind of all over the place IMO. The mouthfeel seems fine to me. Moderate caronation yet more wet than I expected.

D - I really had a hard time drinking this one but I really wanted to finish it to see if it would improve. It was more tolerable towards the end as it warmed a bit but I just think the flavors are all over the place and don't blend well.

MrIncognito, Mar 18, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -24.3%

22oz. bottle. No freshness date. Poured into a weizen glass.

Pours a cloudy pale golden-straw with a finger of white head and sticky lacing. Smell is initially just spicyness. After a few whiffs I am able to detect the aromas normally present in weizenbiers: wheat, yeast, bananas, and in this case so lemons. Taste was much like the aroma. Spicyness was dominant. There were cloves in there as well as the banana, wheat and yeast flavors. All the flavors are exaggerated here. They blend together well at first but then at the finish they come together unpleasantly and really linger. Its a real hard flavor to describe but in other styles I might find it enjoyable but in a weizenbier, with no other bold flavors to accompany it, its unwelcome. The more of this I had the less noticeable it became but then all of the flavors seemed more subdued after a few healthy sips. Mouthfeel is ok, a bit heavy, maybe medium, leaning towards full, in body with moderate carbonation. In terms of drinkability I can't rate this very high. I simply have no urge to have another. Overall I was actually a bit disappointed. The exaggerated flavors came together in an unpleasant way that hangs around much too long.

mnj21655, Aug 26, 2007
2.95/5  rDev -23.8%

Poured from 22oz bottle into weizen glass.

A: Golden wheat, in this second glass cloudy enough to be opaque because I poured all of the yeast with this. Especially in the first glass plenty of nice sized bubbles were rising. A good inch of head that became an eighth in five minutes.

S: Banana that is the part of banana that turned my stomach as a kid, also clove-like spice. Metallic European hops, Saaz specifically, as it says on the label.

T: Moderately sweet banana with a cloviness in the middle, and the hops at the end with a light bitterness finishing it off. This doesn't seem all that revolutionary. A weizen with a bit more hopping and alcohol, which is well hidden in my bottle. Drink it very cold to avoid the alcohol and keep it from tasting a bit musty like some of the Belgians I've tried.

M: A nice full, almost heavy feeling.

D: The drinkability is obviously not what a normal weizen would be due to the alcohol. I do like the mouthfeel and it is much like a normal weizen. I'd say just grab an authentic Bavarian bottle instead though I am happy to have tried this.

brewerburgundy, Nov 09, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -23.8%

Pours a hazy orange with a good head. No lace, good retention. Aroma is dominated by bananna, with an unsettling alchohol note. Flavour is also dominated by bananna and alchohol. There is a funky solvent note in the finish. I can see how one would enjoy this beer. Im not a big bananna fan really. And I dont like to be able to taste alchohol in my beer either. It is however worth a try as are the rest of S.T.s beers.

mjryan, Sep 02, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -23.8%

a: This was a slightly cloudy golden color with stronger amber highlights than is typical for a hefe. It pours with a huge, sticky, craggy white head. I had the second glass "mit hefe" and it was much cloudier and a little darker.

s: All the elements of a hefe are here, but in strange proportions. The strongest aroma I found was some yeasty cloves. The banana smell were there, but they were more sugary than I'm used to. There were some flowery hops and a little heat as well.

t: The cloves dominate here as well. Strong yeasty clove flavors start things off. Sugary banana flavors come next, but only briefly. The finish is dry and a little flowery with the cloves mounting a strong comeback.

m: The carbonation was long lasting but a little too fizzy. The strong clove after taste was a little off-putting.

d: I don't consider myself to be a beer purist. I love strange and inventive brews. i just don't see much room for experimentation or imperialization with hefes. I love Southern Tier, but this one doesn't work for me.

DIM, Nov 06, 2008

athomasPSU, Jan 23, 2014
3.08/5  rDev -20.4%

poured into a weizen glass

pours a cloud straw color, with a nice thick head. tried to pour it belgein style, before i realized the souther teir bottles were just to thick. ended up getting stuck, but still ended well :) not to much lace, but lots of head due to the odd pour.

smells of CLOVE! My friends were asking how i can pick out smells and asked what clove smells like. so, i went and grabbed this beast and bam. instant recognition of clove. unfortunately, there wasn't enough banana or orange. was a little sad. still smells ok, but too much spice and not enough wheat.

taste was similar. more of a floral taste, but definately spiced. almost to much spice, good taste, but wasn't the smooth and relaxing feel i wanted. somewhat fuller beer then normal, but not bad.

Anthony1, Aug 19, 2009
3.08/5  rDev -20.4%

I never really got on the anti-imperialism bandwagon, but this beer is a prime example of how biggerness isn't always betterness (sweet english, you are welcome).
Pours a nice golden haze with a big white head, lacing and retention are good, Southern Tier knows how to get the head right.
The smell and taste are just a bit much for the style, I definitely get what they were going for, and I guess they hit the target...it just isn't something that I really enjoy. This is a heavy ass weizen, almost a blonde weizenbock of sorts I guess, but even bigger, I'm not sure I can classify this beer, and I'm not sure that I would even want to if I could. Certainly not horrible, not deplorable, but not repeatable. Just average.

grayburn, Oct 08, 2009
3.1/5  rDev -19.9%

Appearance: Hazy orange, big head, looks good!

Smell: Way less than expected, a little bit of clove.

Taste: Sweet, citrus-oranges and cloves. Gets a little boozy. Seems kind of mixed-together and weird.

Drinkability: Weird and somewhat expensive, so not so good.

I like strong wheat beers so I picked this one up. Unfortunately, I thought it wasn't so great. The taste is not bad, it just seemed like the brew didn't meld the flavors too well. It was like "Here's oranges! Now here's cloves! Don't forget the booze!" Maybe it needed to sit for a month or two but I doubt this bottle was brand new or very old. A weird experience.

Mdog, Jul 19, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -19.1%

A- Pours a hazy, golden yellow. The head is white and becomes a thin layer of bubbles on top of the brew.

S- Strong citrus, lemon and orange are dominant. Could also pick up some banana, clove and alcohol.

T- Taste is very strong fruity flavor of citrus and banana. The alcohol is pretty apparent.

M- Medium in body and good carbonation.

D- I thought this beer was ok, at best and I kind of struggled drinking this one.

nrbw23, May 24, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -18.6%

Southern Tier does this a lot. Many imperial style versions of beers not typically imperial. Chocolate beer with real chocolate. Black double ipas. A lot of them are successes and a lot of failures. I think this one is a success. It should have been served in a typical heffe glass rather than the bar/mixer glass that I got but this is good and hides the alcohol well.

david18, Jul 27, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

This might be the last hot day of the year, so I'd better clean out all the summer beers from the fridge.

APPEARANCE: Poured with the yeast into a weizen glass. Pale golden in color and appropriately cloudy. The head is small but has excellent holding power.

SMELL: Smells surpisingly authentic. Banana and clove are both there, but I'd say it leans toward the spicy side. The malt presence is formidable and might even have an alcoholic bite to it.

TASTE: Whoa. This is a big hefe indeed. A big, slick base of wheat hits up front carrying with it a undercurrent of alcohol. The traditional yeast esters are there in force and they tend to sweeten the beer even further.

MOUTHFEEL: Heavy bodied with an average level carbonation. Seems a bit slick and syrupy.

DRINKABILITY: This beer's a beast. It's exceedingly sweet and slick while still staying true to the style it's imitating. One bomber is plenty for me.

I can't rate this against a standard hefeweizen barometer knowing what this beer is supposed to be. Even still, it doesn't quite do the things you'd want from a beer like this. I'll pass for something more drinkable.

jmalex, Sep 15, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

Got from johnnnniee as an extra - many thanks! Poured from a 750ml bottle into a weizen glass. No dating info but it's a June release. Was a hazy golden yellow color with plenty of carb. It had a large fluffy white head that whittled down to a foam cap fed by the carb. Some lacing.

The aroma was banana, clove, spice, wheat and some alcohol. Hefe aromas are one of the finest things out there so was worried about what an imperial hefe would smell and taste like. Not too bad on the aroma but still prefer the standard. The taste I liked a bit less. The spice and alcohol really dominated it and pushed the typical hefe flavors out of the picture. I'd be alright with them being big players but needed some balance with a standard hefe for me. Mouthfeel was medium with slightly too much carb.

Overall, I really wanted to like this one since I love ST and hefes. Sounded like a perfect mix. But it just didn't translate for me. I love imperial IPA's and stouts but find the more laid back styles of hefes and wits to not be a good place for imperial. It's not bad but I'd rather have a Weihenstephaner. Rotation - not avail in TX got as an extra. Glad I got to try it but one is enough for me.

TexIndy, Dec 08, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours a beautiful orange color, a lot like the Terrapin Maggies Farmhouse Ale I just had before this. The difference between the two is the head on this one comes and goes before you even realize whats happening. It fizzled out way too quickly, and doesn't leave any lacing.

The nose is wheat, and thats pretty much it. Maybe a little booze. It's just wet, stale wheat.

The taste is pretty heavy on the wheat (hence being named heavy weizen?) and the alcohol is more hidden, but I just don't get this one. It doesn't taste very good to me, and definitley not inviting me to drink more.

Moutfeel is medium with a crisp carbonation. I was expecting something smooth from the wheat but didn't get it. Drinkability takes a hit because I'm not a fan of the taste.

Overall, I can't seem to catch a break with Southern Tier. Their Imperial Series has let me down more than a few times, yet I keep coming back and trying more styles. I guess I'll continue to do so, but maybe should be more realistic going into my next bottle.

Mistofminn, Mar 11, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -16.5%

Served in a tulip from a 22 oz bomber.

A: Pale golden/straw color that turned hazy after getting some of the yeast in there. White head came off nicely and slowly disappeared with time. Just from the looks, it seems thicker than most Hefes.

S: Subtle smells of wheat, bananas and cloves. I also got a subtle hint of something sweet. The yeast smelly is there too. Reminded me of Weihenstephan...(my fav).

T: At first, I got the clove-eque taste of a good Hefe with some spicyness. Enjoyed the presence of yeast. Something may have given it a weird aftertaste to me though. Good, but a little strange. (A little acidic on the sides of my tongue?) Couldn't put my finger on it. Alcohol was also more present than other Hefes I've had. Understandable though with its Imperial status.

M: Def thicker than most Hefes but nothing crazy.

D: I wasn't a fan of the higher alcohol with this style. I think lower alcohol actually brings out more of the nicer flavors the beer has to offer. Of course...happy I tried it though.

lansingj24, Jan 16, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -16.5%

The beer poured a cloudy golden yellow color with a huge quickly dissipating head that later resulted in decent lacing. The taste had a super great malty upfront that I really enjoyed. However that was followed by a spice and bitter after taste that stuck with me for way to long. Just not what I thought was complimentary to the sweet beginning of this beer. Body was an enjoyable medium but this beer isn't something I would drink a lot of. Probably a good example of a Hefeweizen, just not my favorite style.

jwhawkins81, Nov 06, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -16.5%

A - Golden color, pretty much clear with a two finger white head with not a ton of retention and minimal lacing.

S - Pretty wheaty and bready with some banana and clove. About what expected, but nothing unusual or innovative.

T - Biscuity with some slight citrus, decent amount of banana and clove, it's a solid tasting hefe, but nothing particularly new.

M - Decently carbonated, but a little two heavy feeling for the style, wanted it to be sharper.

D - Decently drinkable, as it''s not real offensive, but not something I would seek out much.

AgentZero, May 12, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -16.5%

A: Hazy, dirty straw; white head, very little retention, slight lace.

S: Grapefruit citrus, some banana & pineapple, touch of spicyness (cloves?), a little acidity (unfortunately a little vomit-like).

T: Plenty of citrus from the yeast, grapefruity (I'd swear it was PNW american hops), pineapple, slight breadyness, hints of banana; fairly warming.

M: Light to moderate body, slight creamyness, moderate carbonation, fairly acidic.

D: Big, bold & interesting, but not very sessionable.

Derek, Nov 14, 2006
3.25/5  rDev -16%

Heavy Weizen | 650 ml. | 8.0% ABV | 2011

Brewer: Southern Tier Brewing Company
Style: Hefeweizen
Glass: Duvel tulip

Appearance:
Stagnant amber with a surprisingly small head.

Aroma:
Banana bread soaked in alcohol, cloves.

Taste:
Definitely a heavy weizen. All the same flavors--banana, cloves, lemon rind--are there, just with much more heft. Alcohol plays a strong role.

Mouthfeel:
Medium bodied, but slow to develop. Carbonation is lower than expected.

Harmony:
The idea of creating a heftier hefe was a good one. Unfortunately, it seems there's a reason for the former style's dominance--it's simply a more delicate and complex balance of flavors.

Would I get it again?:

Bottled: ?
Served: January 19, 2011

BeerNemesis, Jan 20, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -15.2%

t is heavy. It is a weizen. It is a heavy weizen. So it is, so it shall be. This one pours a hazy yellow with a frothed up bitch of a white head.Good lace. Lemony and limey, grassy, very herbal, dripping with hops and grass/hay. Creamsicle flavours of the lemon persuasion. Corriander, fresh leafy hops. FInishes bad ass boozey, astringent, slight burn. Pretty heavy booze all around. GLad I got to try it, but I’ll take Hackerr Weiss any day. Thanks for sharing this fackin’ beer Mikey!

mrmanning, Dec 06, 2006