Heavy Weizen (Imperial Unfiltered Wheat Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Heavy Weizen (Imperial Unfiltered Wheat Ale)Heavy Weizen (Imperial Unfiltered Wheat Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

Hefeweizen |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: rarevos on 09-24-2006

Ratings: 238 | Reviews: 200
4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

Snuck away from Thanksgiving dinner to write down a review for this beer. Yeah, I'm that obsessed. Bomber from Jason's in Ellicott City, MD.

Pours a cloudy golden-straw color with a fairly large long-lasting white head.

Aroma is wheat, yeast, banana, citrus, and spice.

Flavor is very nice and only mildly sweet with wheat, yeast, citrus and floral hops, banana, clove, and loads of spices on the finish.

Medium-full body with a tingly, spicy mouthfeel.

Drinkability is high and you don't feel the ABV at all...until later that is. Overall a great beer. Interesting. These guys do wheat beers well.

3.23/5  rDev -16.5%

Got from johnnnniee as an extra - many thanks! Poured from a 750ml bottle into a weizen glass. No dating info but it's a June release. Was a hazy golden yellow color with plenty of carb. It had a large fluffy white head that whittled down to a foam cap fed by the carb. Some lacing.

The aroma was banana, clove, spice, wheat and some alcohol. Hefe aromas are one of the finest things out there so was worried about what an imperial hefe would smell and taste like. Not too bad on the aroma but still prefer the standard. The taste I liked a bit less. The spice and alcohol really dominated it and pushed the typical hefe flavors out of the picture. I'd be alright with them being big players but needed some balance with a standard hefe for me. Mouthfeel was medium with slightly too much carb.

Overall, I really wanted to like this one since I love ST and hefes. Sounded like a perfect mix. But it just didn't translate for me. I love imperial IPA's and stouts but find the more laid back styles of hefes and wits to not be a good place for imperial. It's not bad but I'd rather have a Weihenstephaner. Rotation - not avail in TX got as an extra. Glad I got to try it but one is enough for me.

2.93/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured from 22oz bottle into weizen glass.

A: Golden wheat, in this second glass cloudy enough to be opaque because I poured all of the yeast with this. Especially in the first glass plenty of nice sized bubbles were rising. A good inch of head that became an eighth in five minutes.

S: Banana that is the part of banana that turned my stomach as a kid, also clove-like spice. Metallic European hops, Saaz specifically, as it says on the label.

T: Moderately sweet banana with a cloviness in the middle, and the hops at the end with a light bitterness finishing it off. This doesn't seem all that revolutionary. A weizen with a bit more hopping and alcohol, which is well hidden in my bottle. Drink it very cold to avoid the alcohol and keep it from tasting a bit musty like some of the Belgians I've tried.

M: A nice full, almost heavy feeling.

D: The drinkability is obviously not what a normal weizen would be due to the alcohol. I do like the mouthfeel and it is much like a normal weizen. I'd say just grab an authentic Bavarian bottle instead though I am happy to have tried this.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured from 650 mL bottle into weizen glass.
A: Pours a clear golden yellow with high carbonation producing a nice 2 inch thick bubbly white head. Good retention.
S: Sweet banana and clove. Soft wheat notes and a hint of alcohol. Yummy! If this was a bit more complex, I would notch this a 5.
T: Wonderful banana, clove, wheat...reminiscent of the great German weizen beers I have been fortunate enough to quaff from the source.
M: Soft and sweet. Medium body with nice lasting and lingering on the palate.
D: Highly drinkable except that the ABV does eventually catch up with you...damn! A very solid all-around brew. I will definitely be coming back to this again and again!

3.56/5  rDev -8%

Poured from the 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Pours a light amber, not too cloudy, with a thick creamy foam, lots of lacing and good retention. Darker than a typical hefe.

Very powerful wheaty smell with some backing bananas. Mild clove. Very aromatic.

Taste opens like a hefe, but then a hop smashes through and controls the last 2/3rds of the finish. Lingering bitter taste.

Lightly carbonated, and chalky in the mouthfeel.

Drinkable, but to a point - I'd take a standard hefe over this imperial version any day, but still an interesting take on the style.

3.57/5  rDev -7.8%

Started to pour into my Weizen glass from the 22 and-- ruh roh. We're talking a whole fist of head with a careful pour. The head is hefe-fluffy with a white airy head that verrrryyyy slowwwly dissipates the way it should. The beer itself is amber and clear, interesting because the bottle says unfiltered. I'm getting the impression this bottle may have sat in the store awhile. No worries though, because it's an Imperial, right? Right.

The smell from this bottle is decidedly spicy. As the beer warms, and I take several more sniffs from my stuffy nose, I get a little bit of cloves and some yeasty scents coming through.

The taste is a hoppy hefeweizen. I want to like it, because things like the head are spot on for the style, but it just isn't the beer I wanted it to be. Yes, it's definitely the beer they're selling me (read the bottle), but not really what I wanted out of an ST Hefe. The taste is quite spicy as well, with a tingling on the back sides of my tongue as it finishes, a little alchohol wash.

Mouthfeel is good, pretty much what I expected when I saw the beer, a little watery with a spicy finish.

I'll certainly finish the bomber, and I may yet try this again. The drinkability factor on this is not as high as many other hefes I've had but hey, it comes in a 22oz. I don't really need more than this alone than a 22oz, and personally suggest you share it.

Later, I read the bottle more closely. NOW I know why it reminds me of a Pilsner. Czech Saaz hops. Touche`.

3.09/5  rDev -20.2%

I never really got on the anti-imperialism bandwagon, but this beer is a prime example of how biggerness isn't always betterness (sweet english, you are welcome).
Pours a nice golden haze with a big white head, lacing and retention are good, Southern Tier knows how to get the head right.
The smell and taste are just a bit much for the style, I definitely get what they were going for, and I guess they hit the target...it just isn't something that I really enjoy. This is a heavy ass weizen, almost a blonde weizenbock of sorts I guess, but even bigger, I'm not sure I can classify this beer, and I'm not sure that I would even want to if I could. Certainly not horrible, not deplorable, but not repeatable. Just average.

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

Thanks to brothercannon for sharing. He's a big ST fan. A 22 ounce bomber bottle poured into a pair of shaker glasses. Appears a cloudy golden amber yellow color with about an inch of bone white foam. Nose and flavor are of lemon pound cake, bananas, spicy yeast, some clove, toasted wheat, sweet and a bit spicy. Fulfilling body with ample carbonation. My glass was empty rather quickly. The alcohol is hidden quite well here.

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a cloudy orange with a good head and retention

Aroma is the typical spiced hefeweizen character. Cloves, banana, wheat. It says imperial..but doesn't smell strong. Not that its expected to

Taste: Okay, now I can get the imperial. The typical flavor profile is there..a well done hefeweizen..but unlike regular hefe's I can taste some alcohol. It isn't entirely off putting..but I think its going to get in the way of a higher drinkability rating.

Mouthfeel is thicker than a hefeweizen..smooth and carbonated well

Drinkability...well its a huge bottle. And its high in ABV. And I can taste the booze more prominently than in a regular hefeweizen. That being said...its good. Can't have more than one bottle though.

3.38/5  rDev -12.7%

Appearance: huge head, cloudy, bright orange gold, some sediment, medium carbonation

Smell: banana, wheat, and cloves dominate

Taste: banana, wheat, lemon, cloves, and alcohol

Mouthfeel: moderately smooth, medium carbonation, sweet start with a bitterish-more alcoholic finish, very heavy for the style

Drinkability: This is truth in advertising and is a heavy hefeweizen. For me the alcohol was too pronounced taking away from some of the other flavors. For that reason I would only have one. Southern Tier makes some excellent big beers. This one misses the mark for me.

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours a cloudy golden yellow color with some golden ripe banana yellow hues when held to a light source and a thick frothy two finger white head that slowly fades into a lasting ring leaving slight lacing.

Yeasty/bread aroma with a lot of spicy clove notes, ripe banana and citrus peel. Also, there is a bit of crisp light fruit(apple, pear) and a nice hop presence.

Extremely smooth and quaffable medium yeasty/bready body with a healthy dose of clove spiciness. Lots of ripe banana and citrus peel along with some light fruit notes, subtle hops and slightly sour dry finish.

3.97/5  rDev +2.6%

I was very pleased with this beer. It kind of reminds me of a tripel but a little wheatier, if you will.
I've never had a high octane hefeweizen before, but this was definitely a good place to start. I have yet to taste a brew by Southern Tier that doesn't tickle my fancy ;-)

3.92/5  rDev +1.3%

Imperial hefes, what won't they think of next? This brew smells like a hefe, nice lemon zest with a small hint of banana muffins; so all good on that point. The brew looks solid; nice and cloudy as it should be, a little darker than a regular hefe, a dark peach and gold. Head is not as big as it should be, though it keeps a nice white lacing. Taste starts off like a hefe, light and with some clove and lemon cake, then the imperial starts to take over. Where a normal hefe is refreshing, this turns a bit thicker, lending a sweet syrup taste to the brew. Not much alcohol noticeable despite the increased thickness.

A pretty well-rounded brew and a nice departure from the original hefe style, though I would prefer a normal hefe anytime.

3.67/5  rDev -5.2%

A: Golden honey color with frothy white head that leaves little lacing.

S: Very sweet aroma, like candied bananas. Reminds me of salt water taffy. Also a spiciness and faint touch of floral hops.

T: Same as the aroma, candy-like sweetness. Doughy bread and yeast. Also some fruit and light banana with a touch of citrus hops. But, for me, the sweetness dominates.

M: Full bodied, with a syrupy texture.

D: This is definitely a unique beer, but I picked up more of the sweetness than the traditional hefe flavors. Not as much spice and banana as I would have liked, but still an interesting brew.

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

Thanks goes out to Wasatch for this bomber!

A: Cloudy gold color, stark white head about 1/4 of an inch thick that recedes to a thin white cap. Excellent lacing. Quite cloudy and nice looking.

S: Tangy/citrusy wheat malts are quite strong as well as a dominating clove aspect. Damn. Haha a clove bomb? Has a distinct wheat smell, no doubt that this a huge hefe. Nice.

T: Interesting, and not exactly what i was expecting. Huge malt profile, both barley and wheat, has a distinct tanginess throughout but also has a bit of a straight up Pale LME taste to it. Honey flavors throughout, and a little bit of spicy hop in the end, with almost no bitterness at all. Cloves again are present and there is a definite alcohol presence as well. Really tasty, this is enjoyable.

M: Thick, wow this sucker is thick, fairly sticky, and surprisingly dry. I think the mouth detracts from this beer just simply because of how thick it feels, and I understand that a double hefe is going to be thick, but this is downright chewy.

D: Easy to drink, but the booze can definitely sneak in there un-noticed, and it really is heavy, wouldn't be able to do another. Good strong beer for hot weather if you want to only have one. Definitely worth trying though.

Thanks John!

3.03/5  rDev -21.7%

poured into a weizen glass

pours a cloud straw color, with a nice thick head. tried to pour it belgein style, before i realized the souther teir bottles were just to thick. ended up getting stuck, but still ended well :) not to much lace, but lots of head due to the odd pour.

smells of CLOVE! My friends were asking how i can pick out smells and asked what clove smells like. so, i went and grabbed this beast and bam. instant recognition of clove. unfortunately, there wasn't enough banana or orange. was a little sad. still smells ok, but too much spice and not enough wheat.

taste was similar. more of a floral taste, but definately spiced. almost to much spice, good taste, but wasn't the smooth and relaxing feel i wanted. somewhat fuller beer then normal, but not bad.

3.65/5  rDev -5.7%

22oz bottle with no freshness date poured into a 23oz weizen glass.

A- this one pours a hazy golden colored body with a finger of lasting bright white head which leaves behind rings of sticky lacing.

S- strong odor of yeast and spices right off the bat. clove, banana, coriander, and bubblegum. no trace of alcohol.

T- the taste is very much like the smell. spices come through strong. a slight stinging from the alcohol.

M- medium to heavy bodied with a high level of carbonation.

D- easy enough to finish. a little strong to go for a second. an interesting beer.

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

I don't often like beers of this style.... but I'm always impressed at Southern Tier's ability to make decent craft beer at good prices.

Pours a very slight hazy gold to orange color. Nice thick creamy wheat head that retains it's body after a drink. Nice bubbles floating up through the beer.

Clove is the first thing that comes to mind when it first hits my nose, followed by bananas, bread, raisins and maybe even some characteristics you might find in a Chardonnay.

Vanilla sweet grass and bread dominate the tongue. Some spices and honey come through along with a milky feel.

This beer truly has a creamy texture and low carbonation. It's easy to drink. Cheers!

22oz bottle served in a large weizen glass with a wedge of lemon as suggested on the brewery website.

Murky two-tone yellow and orange color with a fluffy white head that left big spots of lacing.
Sweet smells of candy, spices and wheat.
The taste is rather sweet upfront with some banana flavor and a touch of bitterness before finish sticky sweet. 8% abv goes pretty much undetected in the taste but a slight warming reminds you that its there.
Medium/full bodied with a smooth feel and smoother drinkability.

3.67/5  rDev -5.2%

poured a hazy honey colored brew with a foamy white head up top.

smells of cloves, banana, wheat, earthy malt, and some honey sweetness. a bit of some floral notes as well.

taste is much the same as smell. more honey and banana sweetness. some spices coming through.

clean but full-bodied. relatively easy to drink.

3.68/5  rDev -4.9%

This poured a hazy dark straw color with some white head. It smelled like lots of fresh wheat, with some banana nut malt and creamy yeast, and a bit of lemon. It tasted like lemon zest and sour yeast and banana nut bread, with a bit of alcohol. It was somewhat thick with moderate carbonation, and a sour aftertaste. Overall this was a decent weizenbock, but it didn't have the cleanest flavor. It had great body, but it was a bit harsh to drink, so it was more of a sipping beer. Enjoyable but somewhat heavy for summer.

3.16/5  rDev -18.3%

Southern Tier does this a lot. Many imperial style versions of beers not typically imperial. Chocolate beer with real chocolate. Black double ipas. A lot of them are successes and a lot of failures. I think this one is a success. It should have been served in a typical heffe glass rather than the bar/mixer glass that I got but this is good and hides the alcohol well.

Three fingers of tight white head over a golden orange body. The well retained head slowly fades, leaving sporadic patches of thick lace.

Aromas of bubblegum and spice. Lemon. Mild banana. Faint grassy noble hop character. It smells a little bit boozy.

Banana flavour is sweet and bold. Mild acidic twang, from the wheat, I think. Vanilla. Hop flavour grassy/citrusy. Mild bitterness, but still more hop character than a typical hefe. Alcohol is noticeable, but not overwhelming. Everything else keeps it in check. Hops come forward a little as it warms.

Creamy and smooth. Medium bodied with low carbonation. It's a sipper, but a very enjoyable and easy one. I really enjoy drinking this beer.

3.7/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours an uncharacteristically clear golden orange with no lacing to speak of.

S - Lots of spiced cloves and banana in the nose with a faint bubble gum sweetness.

T - Heavy wheat up front with bubble gum, banana, and spiced cloves nuances on the finish.

M&D - Sticky sweet mouth coating with a faint creeping alcohol warmth. Not as boozy as I expected for an 8.0ABV.

Good representation of the style.

22oz bomber into 23oz weizen glass.

Pale burnt orange hue, turning to yellow toward the bottom of the glass. It glows in the light, barely translucent. One finger dense and milk white head that settles to a thick even cap.

A little bit of clove and a very agreeable smokey aroma. A bit of orange peel.

More smokiness, along with a bit of alcohol. The hops add a little bit of a sharp citrus flavor. Tart wheat malts. There's a creamy overtone. Full bodied, high carbonation.

This one isn't too far apart from any other Hefeweizen. The alcohol is well hidden. The hops come through a bit though. Recommended.

Heavy Weizen (Imperial Unfiltered Wheat Ale) from Southern Tier Brewing Company