Raspberry Wheat Ale - Southern Tier Brewing Company

New York, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: oberon on 02-10-2007

3.81/5  rDev +22.5%

Presentation: Poured into a pint glass from a growler purchased at Green's on Assembly in Columbia, SC. I've had this in the bottle before and wasn't completely impressed so I figured I'd give it a chance in a "fresher" form.

A: Pale yellow color with little to no head and minimal lacing.

S: Sweet raspberry scent, maltiness, and light wheat.

T&M: Nice raspberry taste that was sweet, but not overpowering. Tanginess throughout that is light bodied with minimal carbonation.

Decent drinker. Again, not the best fruit beer I've had, but good. (546 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -4.5%

Review from notes on 4/17/10

I was excited to try this. I love Southern Tier, but mainly their big beer series... Poured a golden straw yellow with a mediocre head that died quickly. At least it's very clear. The nose is full of fresh raspberries and a hint of twangy wheat. Very inviting and fruity. There is something to be said about the taste, however. I get barely a hint of berries here. Sure, the wheaty taste is there but the raspberries are quite muted. It might as well be nonexistent. Too carbonated for my liking. It makes this drink like a BMC lager. Time to rethink the recipe... (594 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +8.4%

12 oz bottle:

Pours a lightly hazed gold ale in the wheat glass.

Smallish white cap with modest lacing.

Aromas are promising biscuity, straw and ample berry perfumes, dominate the nose.

Fairly light on the palate, biscuity wheat malts light hop herbalness but the unmalted wheat and berry tartness gang up to dry up the drink in the finish.

Nice dry refreshing drink for a summer patio but seeing how there is no berry color in the brew I suspect essence was used instead of raw fruit and the whole formula dashed together for a quick summer seasonal. Not bad but certainly not ST's best effort. (605 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +29.3%

Wow... REAL Raspberry in this beer.

When I poured the beer I was a little set back at the fact that without the smell of raspberries hitting my nose, I would have guessed it to be a light lager or pilsner. Pale yellow and very clear, neither of which I expect from a wheat beer. Very bubbly, almost like a champagne with a similar head as well. Very light and airy.

The smell was amazingly dead on real raspberries. Very faint hints of wheat and yeast but clearly this is a fruit themed beer by the smell.

My first reaction of the taste was that it reminded me of the old Clearly Canadian fizzy water drinks of the 90s. Thats good and bad but to me mostly good because my wife picked this beer for the raspberry more than the beer aspect of it. I didnt get a lot of the wheat characteristics in the taste though. If you would have meddled a couple raspberries in a nice light pils, I might not have known the difference.

Mouthfeel was quite light and watery. Not a lot of heft behind this beer. Zero fill factor for those who light more taste less filling.

Extremely drinkable and really the only thing holding you back is the carbonation, otherwise it drinks like water.

Taking into consideration this is a FRUIT themed beer, I think they hit it spot on from the fruit side, just wish it was a bit more true to the wheat beer side. (1,341 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -0.3%

Shared by schen9303. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a weizen glass.

A: Gentle pour yields a 2.5 finger fluffy white head with moderate retention. Beer is a clear yellow with a slight orange tint. Lacing is subtle but pretty with nice stick.

S: A nose full of raspberries and nothing else. This is a wheat beer imitating a fruit beer... at least in the smell. No hint of hoppiness or wheat odors as the strong raspberries overshadow everything else.

T: Big raspberry fruit flavors upfront that dissipates quickly to be replaced by a subtle... nothing really. A little hop bitterness here and there but this tastes more like crushed raspberry seeds than anything else. A bit watered down but at least the finish here, though messy, is quick and dissipates promptly.

M: Light bodied, moderately coarse, and highly carbonated. Watery and lively in the mouth this feels as it should. Finish is messy but as stated, lingers for just a bit with none of the wheat flavors in the aftertaste.

D: A good warm day beer, this is nothing special though its not a poor representation of the style. A little watered down but that's about the only complaint. Not much to see here but if you're just looking to sit, relax, and have a drink on a hot summer day, then this'll suffice. Don't expect much else and you won't be dissapointed. (1,327 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A - pours a light golden color with two fingers of white head that dissipates slowly and leaves some lacing
S - just raspberry and a bit of wheat
T - raspberry, wheat, and some strange hop bitterness that almost seems like an accident...the flavors just don't mix well
M - light bodied, well-carbonated, a bit watery
D - it's effervescent and drinkable, and the initial shock of conflicting flavors subsides after a bit but I probably won't drink this beer again unless it's the only decent thing around (503 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Sam Adams pint glass. Pours a hazy light straw color with a small white ring around the sides of the glass.

Aroma is dominated by the raspberry with some wheat in the background. The taste is light with a pretty strong raspberry flavor. The raspberry flavor is almost like that in a crystal light or flavored water. The raspberry flavor is a little too strong for me without much other flavor supporting it in the beer.

Mouthfeel is light and carbonation is above average. Drinkability isn't good for me, I can't drink much of this beer. I really don't care for this beer much, as I said before it almost tastes like a crystal light or Propel flavored fitness water. There just isn't much beer quality in it for me to not just drink another flavored drink.

I will say however that my girlfriend loves this beer and we keep some at the house a lot. So although this might not be for everyone I'm sure there are others that do enjoy it. To me it is an average fruit beer for the style. (1,022 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance: This beer has an odd, tarnished gold color. I don't recall seeing this color in a beer. The brew produced two fingers of brilliant white head when I poured it; however, the foam quickly died. Likewise, there is little to no lace.

Smell: The smell is the best part of this sample. It has a deep, rich raspberry aroma.

Taste: There is a weak, sweet raspberry taste on the front of the tongue, which is accented by the strong flavor of hops on the back of the palate. I do detect a hint of malt on the front of my tongue. Overall, thses flavors don't work together.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: There is almost too much carbonation. The bubbles will sting your tongue. As for drinkability, nothing is working with this beer. (735 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -31.5%

A: Pours a two-finger thin and bubbly head. The beer is a translucent pale yellow. Slightly below average in appearance. This looks a lot like an average adjunct lager.

S: Raspberries and a little malt. The raspberry aroma is overpowering, almost like a cheap lotion or body spray. Smells like an overloaded fruity cocktail, like a darker version of Sex on the Beach.

T: Like raspberry vodka, or a really badly sweetened raspberry-flavored water beverage. A cloying and overpowering blend of raspberry and alcohol with a touch of wheaty malt. The raspberry flavor really brings out the alcohol in this one. The taste is terribly unbalanced, leaning more toward the qualities of a cheap fruity malt beverage you'd buy in a convenience store cooler than a beer.

M: Leaves behind an alcohol and wheat aftertaste. I can taste the raspberry on my breath, but not when I have my mouth closed, which is kind of interesting and enjoyable. The aftertaste detracts from the breath, however, and really kills the experience. Carbonation is light.

D: I want to give this a second chance, as I'm generally a big fan of fruity wheat beers, but this is pretty vicious. The raspberry flavor is vicious, but somehow superficial. If you're looking for a good fruity wheat beer that's well balanced and refreshing, try Hell or High Watermelon from the 21st Amendment Brewery. I may give this raspberry beer another try one day, but for now I'll be swigging the rest down and hopefully moving on to something crafted with a little more care. (1,525 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -11.6%

After having Pumking I wanted to try other Southern Tier brews. Slightly disappointed with this one.

Appearance - pale, almost yellow like a run of the mill beer. some wheat color to it.

Smell - very light with the smell of raspberry like a jam but more genuine then artificial.

Taste - the raspberry comes through very strongly and tastes nice. However the problem is the fragrance of the raspberry in the brew lingers for a while and reminds me exactly of a raspberry hookah and not in a good way. The fragrance over powers and hurts the taste a lot.

Mouthfeel - its carbonated and watery at the same time. Again the fragrance of the beer is present and very strong.

Drinkability - It's very much a novelty beer and while it is refreshing during the summer as an overall beer not impressed and could drink one and be done with it. (837 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours a clear straw yellow, with white head and minimal lacing. Aroma is light raspberry and wheat. Taste is rather thin with a zest of raspberry and wheat. I would recommend this beer during the summer on a patio. Much like most wheat or fruit beers. (251 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +4.8%

a- poured into my shaped dogfish head pint glass a yellowish color with about a finger's worth of head at the top of the glass
s- a raspberry smell could be detected along with a wheat undertone,
t- does have a raspberry taste, but it is not really all that strong, taste fades fairly quickly,
m- carbonated, but not great feel,
d- light and drinkable, but not the best, (371 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -31.2%

Found this one at the LCBO in Stoney Creek. I figured I hadn't done a fruit beer in a while, so I'd give it a shot. Then I realized I had a Bud Light Lime a while ago. Ah well, onto the review.

Appearance: A pale somewhat hazy yellow that left a pinky of head that immediately vanished and did not lace. Carbonation looks fairly solid, but the body leaves me wondering if this beer was filtered or not as it's hard to tell.

Smell: It does have a decent raspberry smell that is sadly suspect as it carries a metallic chemical undertone. The background has a decent appearance of wheat malt. Didn't take much in the way of warming to come out.

Taste: Starts with the barest taste of those Swedish berry candies that then turns into a poorly balanced bitter wheat malt that seems to struggle with the sweeter raspberry flavor, which it eventually overcomes at the end with a carbonated bite that makes me wince.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation bites right at the end doesn't do this beer any favours. It leaves a filmy feeling in the mouth and transitions very poorly between flavors. Points also get deducted for the complete lack of head. The only redeeming characteristic is the minor raspberry aftertaste, which is barely present given the bitter wheat coupled with it.

Drinkability: On paper, this beer does stuff right. It's not gassy or causes stomach issues, and it is refreshing. However I wouldn't say this is an easy drinker, most due to the terrible mouthfeel.

Final Thoughts: Simply put, awful stuff that is just one step up from being drain poured. Even for a fruity beer, this offering falls flat. Even Bud Light Lime has a degree of balance with it's artificial lime flavoring. This beer is one you will want to avoid, without a doubt. (1,749 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -9%

A 12 ounce bottle poured into my shaker glass. The ale appears a clear pale straw yellow color with about a finger of bone white foam. Nose and flavors are of toasted cereal grains, raspberry extract, I'm guessing artificial, faintly sweet malt, wheat bread, somewhat grassy. Light bodied with decent carbonation levels. drinks easy enough for what it is. (355 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours a slightly hazy straw like yellow with a quickly dissipating foamy white head that leaves no lace. Looks more like carbonated apple juice than beer.

Smell of sweet artificial rasberry, light biscuit and malt. Nothing much going on above the surface.

Artificial rasberry up front followed by a buttery malt finish. Almost zero hop presence.

Light, watery and finishes wet with an unpleasant carbonated bite. I think this beer is more oriented for a hot summer day, and would probably do the trick. More of a chugger than a beer to actually enjoy.

The only other beer I've had from this brewery was their IPA and judging from that I expected a lot more. $1.80 a bottle, which is fairly cheap down here, but still don't think I'll be buying this one anytime soon. (770 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -37.3%

Bottle: Poured a super pale yellow color ale with a small pure white foamy head with average retention and no lacing. Aroma of fake raspberry juice with weak malt notes. Taste is also dominated by fake raspberry juice with no traces of actual raspberries and weak boring malt backbone. Body is quite thin with OK carbonation. Wow - even worse then expected from a usually fine brewery. (385 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +1.3%

Picked this up in Huntsville Ontario en route to the cottage for Labour Day weekend: I went there for something else, this was a bonus in the singles bin. As a Southern Tier fan, I quite looked forward to trying this. Poured a bright yellow with a half finger white head, fizzy all over, carbonation very apparent. Retention not bad either, spotty lace.

Feint berry smell, yes, raspberries! Taste also conjures up raspberries which are abundant this time of year up on the lake but there is also a slightly earthy, metallic presentation to this brew that detracts. Malty finish. Not as tart as I expected, not as sweet either. The label states, "A malty beverage brewed with raspberries" and malt would have to be the predominant characteristic. Thin body. Not a great sample of the style, I expected a bit more from Southern Tier, this is okay but nothing outstanding. (870 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +4.5%

Appearance: Initially after pour its packed with carbonation, color is bright gold, not much of a head.

Smell: The in-your-face scent is of fresh raspberries with a hint of wheat in the back, the raspberry scent smell slightly artificial but still good

Taste: A Raspberry malty flavor, sweet but not overpowering

Mouthfeel: just a touch of carbonation, aftertaste was absent

Drinkability: It's a light sweet malty beer, it can nicely compliment a meal on a hot day or if you'd like to enjoy a sweet fruity brew (516 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance: Pours a dingy yellow color which has a head that dissipates almost instantly. Considering its a wheat it threw me off guard on how weak it appeared, no cloud at all.

Smell: I was expected artificial and boy was i wrong, smells like the real deal; straight up raspberries. Although not intense in its aromatic qualities there isn't a complexity here rather just pronouncing that its going to be a fruit beer.

Taste: Found the artificial sensation I was dreading, and sadly it lie in the first sip. Weak flavor of raspberries that fades over time, and fills into a more straw and wheat mixture.

Mouthfeel: Very thin and extremely smooth; nothing lingers or hangs on not even in a good way.

Drinkability: Surely drinkable but not exactly memorable

Overall: This beer was somewhat off putting even if raspberries are your thing this might not be a go-to. Doesn't make me want to grab another but it was worth a shot. (929 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +8%

A very light--hardly yellow--color greets me upon the pour. Fizzy at first, it quickly dissipates to a thin, sparse, filmy type of partial covering. Even for a pale wheat, it looks weak. Though not expecting much, you're not getting much in the way of looks here.

The smell is solid. It's distinctly--but not overwhelmingly--raspberry. There's really nothing else to it, but it does taste more au natural than others I've encountered.

It tastes pleasing. It's a raspberry ale you want, and it's a raspberry ale you get. Like the smell, it's nothing special or overly complex. Might be a bit overcarbonated, and the ale aspect could be more substantive. It's not far from a raspberry-infused alcoholic water. Relative to other pale wheat ales, therefore, it's a step above.

Mouthfeel is weak because it's so watery, and it's annoying because it's so fizzy. The raspberry sensation certainly makes a nice mark, but no other component of this beer offers anything desirable. Even for a fruit beer, I wish there was more to it.

Drinkability is okay--like I said, the taste is pleasing, but.... It's worth trying, particularly if you're into the fruit beer thing; I am, but I won't be pursuing it anytime soon. (1,209 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +10%

I was intrigued to try a raspberry wheat and was glad the LCBO was bringing more Southern Tier in. Local discussions had set me up for a beer chalked full of artificial sweetness, but I was pleased to see that they had been overstated.

It pours a clear, pale golden yellow with a puffy offwhite head. Unfortunately the head disapated to nothing at all in a few short minutes.

The smell initially was intense raspberries. It set me up for a cloyingly sweet artificial flavouring - but I was mistaken.. it wasn't there. Instead was a very light lager with a medium hint of raspberries. There is little if any bitterness, but to be honest not much sweetness either. It's well balanced and the raspberry is not overpowering at all. It reminds me a bit of carbonated vitamin water.

Mouthfeel is light and refreshing and that aids the drinkability. You could easily polish off a few of these in a sitting. (902 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -16.7%

poured into a pefrect pint

poured pale gold with ok head that vanished.

smells wheaty and lots of rasberry. tast is similar. very light feel with a watery rasberry taste. Not to sweet, which was better then i expected, but still, just lasted like rasberry kool-aid in some BMC. still, was enjoyable in the 95 degree weather (325 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pale straw color, decent rush of head head, minimal lacing

S - Sweet/Sugary almost artificical raspberry. Wheat, yeast and straw.

T - Wheat, straw, sweet cereal from the malt. Decent raspberry taste after the initial fear from the scent.

M - Medium bodied with a little sticky and chewyness. Good carbonation.

D - Decent drinker thats not overly sweet. Uneven balance of ingrediants but good for a raspberry. (416 characters)

3.29/5  rDev +5.8%

Heheh, I was actually expecting this to be pink! Pours a clear gold with a light head, which dissipates fairly quickly. Spotting lacings.

Aroma is all raspberries. I'll disagree with the majority of reviewers and say it actually smelled pretty nice.

This was actually alot less fruit-centered than I expected. From the way it was described by alot of people, I was expecting raspberry kool-aid, but I actually got more grain than fruit and some noticeable wheat flavours. The fruit, however, was not exactly pleasant. Kind of artificial and the beer had an unpleasant metalling twang to it.

Mouthfeel very thin, but it's mostly me just disliking the American wheat style.

Very drinkable. It was a fine beer post-dog walking on a sunny day. Didn't hate it. (762 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours a yellow color with a decent head that is about one finger. The aroma is of raspberries. The smell is fairly strong. The taste is of raspberry with a little wheat. The taste is slightly artificial but it isn't completely overpowering, there is a little wheat at the end to balance out. The mouthfeel is of slight carbonation. The overall drinkability is average. You could have a bunch of these due to how light they are but they dont grab you and make you want to drink a ton of them. (491 characters)

Raspberry Wheat Ale from Southern Tier Brewing Company