2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Backburner (Imperial Barley Wine Style Ale) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Backburner (Imperial Barley Wine Style Ale)Backburner (Imperial Barley Wine Style Ale)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Barleywine |  9.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerTruth on 04-02-2007)
Ratings: 839 | Reviews: 496 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by Wheeble:
Wheeble

3.15/5  rDev -21.4%

First off, let me just say that I absolutely love Southern Tier. I have yet to have a "bad" beer from them, in fact they are still one of my favorite breweries.

Besides from that fact, I was kind of disappointed with this beer.

Bought a case of 12 22oz bombers

It might just be my taste, or my assumption of what a good barleywine is supposed to resemble, but I felt this was over the top.

It reminded me of Bigfoot Barleywine from Sierra Nevada, which for all intensive purposes I do not recognize as a barleywine

Initial pour was great in my snifter, medium to light initial head, very minimal retention and lacing.

Color was perfect, yet lacking in that classic barleywine bottle conditioned yeast haze I expect out of a traditional english or european BW.

Smell is floral and phenolic, but a little spicy

The first sip was very reminiscent of a cascade hopped pale ale, which kind of puzzled me. It finished very dry and a tad bitter, which I have almost come to expect from American Barleywines.

The second sip just reiterated that taste.

The body of the beer is definitely there, but even after multiple gulps it left a dry taste in my mouth almost to the point where I wanted a glass of water to rehydrate the taste buds.

Drinkability is lacking. I have an entire case of this beer, and I am hoping that me saving it for the next year or 2 will really reduce the bitter characteristic and mellow out the beer for the better.

Maybe I am spoiled because when I think of barleywines I automatically jump to the 10-15 year old aged classic Thomas Hardy's or J.W. Lees, but it seems to me that most american barleywines are overhopped and underaged, and for one of my favorite styles and even favorite breweries I am kind of disappointed.

I keep thinking to myself, "the 5 gallon batch of barleywine I brewed last July that I let sit till Christmas was much better than this", and I am not saying it as a personal preference, I am saying that as far as friends and connoisseurs that have tasted this beer and compared it to my own agree.

03-13-2010 07:01:08 | More by Wheeble

03-13-2014 20:57:34 | More by GRG1313
Wedgie28

4.04/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This is good stuff. Cool color - HTML #43104 or so, transparency 95.

Minute foam that follows the beer to the bottom of the glass.

I eat barley in soup sometimes and I like it. I drink barley in beer sometimes and like it and this is one of the best beers with barley in it so far. So I really like it. You should get some.

This is strong but doesn't taste strong. Get a girl two glasses and she'll like you afterwards.

Shankque'!

02-17-2014 14:46:43 | More by seangibbs60
jazzyjeff13

United Kingdom (England)

3.58/5  rDev -10.7%

A 650ml bottle with no visible BB date. Purchased ages ago from a webshop. This bottle is old; I've had it for nigh on two years and it may have been out of date even before then. Mostly stored in my garage. The label describes it as an American take on the British barleywine.

Poured into a Duvel tulip (twice). Bottle conditioned. A deep reddish-amber hue with faint haze and light carbonation. Produces a large head of creamy off-white foam that lasts for a few minutes before subsiding to a patchy surface layer. Aroma of sweet, heavily oxidised malt with a fruity character. Hints of caramel, grain, sherry/port, brown sugar, dried fruit, subtle pine, stewed hops, faint yeast and a serious whiff of booze. Rich and slightly cloying.

Tastes of sweet, fruity malt with a hoppy finish. Notes of caramel, grain, sherry, raisins, dried fruit, brown sugar, mild pine resin, faint weed, stewed hops and yeast esters. A warming whiff of alcohol lurks in the background, accompanied by a lingering sweetness and a hoppy bitterness upon swallowing. Mouthfeel is silky smooth with a light carbonation that suits the style. Lovely body that borders on unctuous, while tingly hop oils stimulate the palate. Aftertaste of sweet caramel malt, pine-laden hop notes, booze and a mild bitterness.

Despite the age of the bottle this is OK. Then again, I'd expect this style of beer to hold up reasonably well. It looks spot on, while the aroma and flavour are laden with sweet, oxidised malt, dried fruit and mild pine. Little in the way of aromatic hops but quite well balanced. Great body - just right. I reckon the booze helped to preserve this one. Not sure if this is produced anymore, but worth a punt if you come across it.

02-09-2014 01:41:39 | More by jazzyjeff13

Wisconsin

01-28-2014 22:18:06 | More by Mugenlude
dar482

2.66/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

This was bottled 2/15/12. Basically two year old bottle.

The beer comes in a super hazy copper color with ruby red coming through in the light. Not much of a head.

The aroma has oak chips, tons of oxidation, wet leaves, cardboard. A tinge of dark toffee sweetness.

The beer follows with oak woodiness, some syrupy caramel sweetness, but the beer is generally dominated of oxidation. Chewy leaves, potpourri flowers, wet cardboard. Not much bitterness with a slightly empty finish.

I would not recommend empty this beer as there lacks sweetness and the oxidation tastes horrible. Tons of oak, oxidation, without much sweetness. I had to pour it out.

01-25-2014 03:39:34 | More by dar482

01-18-2014 20:46:04 | More by Shagator
barnzy78

4.13/5  rDev +3%

On tap at Tap House Grill - Des Plaines, IL
A - brown with faint ruby hues, creamy tan head sticks to the glass as it slowly fades
S - malty and earthy aroma, woodsy oak, vanilla, brown sugar
T - bold flavors of toasted grain, brown sugar, vanilla, oak, earthy hops, fruit, raisin, piny hop bitterness, boozy at times
M - fuller body, creamy, drying finish
O - nice oak aged barley wine. I thoroughly enjoyed it and wouldn't change anything about it.

01-10-2014 04:12:39 | More by barnzy78
bryangb

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22oz bottle with a DOB of 2%2F28%2F13. Poured fairly aggressively leaving about a finger and a half of head. Color is a gorgeous dark amber. Smell%3A malt%2C barley%2C subtle hops%2C booze. Taste%3A Very smooth. Moderate body. Malt and barley up front. Hops peak through with medium bitterness. The booze comes towards the back end. Perfect amount to retain the beer's smoothness yet remind you you're drinking a barley wine. Booze flavor becomes more present as you let the beer warm. Up there on the list of recommended beers to try

01-09-2014 23:23:22 | More by bryangb