ÜberSun (Imperial Summer Wheat Beer) - Southern Tier Brewing Company

ÃœberSun (Imperial Summer Wheat Beer)ÃœberSun (Imperial Summer Wheat Beer)

Southern Tier Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

A tribute to the dynamic energy of the summer. Brewed with 2-row pale malt, wheat malt. Hopped with Centennial, dry-hopped with more of the same.

(Beer added by: shirfan on 07-13-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of ÜberSun (Imperial Summer Wheat Beer) Alström Bros
2.88/5  rDev -28.4%

This beer poured light clear brown with a small amount of tan head. Its smell was very sweet and floral. Its taste was sweet with a hint of citrus but I have to say I was disappointed over all with its flavor. It wasn't much of anything. I felt that its mouthfeel was watery and as far as drinkablity goes I was unimpressed with this beer.

Lepley, Jul 08, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -26.6%

While it looked good in my glass, the twisted scent of the overtly alcoholic and a measure of black licorice sweetness was very present to my nose. The first and last tastes were well hopped in a light to medium bodied taste that was dominated by a syrupy malt base. I thought the beer might have been old stock, so I gave it a pass.

bonbright7, Sep 20, 2009

GRG1313, Mar 13, 2014

Bottle: Poured a deep hazy bright orangey color ale with a medium foamy head with average retention and not much lacing. Aroma of intense wheat malt with lots of sweetness also coming out. Taste is a mix between loads of wheat malt with lots of sweetness and a hoppy finish. Body is quite full with good carbonation and no signs of alcohol. A bit too extreme for my taste and overly sweet for not reason.

Phyl21ca, Oct 18, 2009

jophish17, Dec 24, 2011

t0rin0, Feb 09, 2013

barnzy78, Dec 01, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -23.4%

Purchased at Bierkraft. Consumed while watching the first game of the season. Colts are killing the Saints.

A-Extremely large four finger head sits in my .5L weizen glass. This is replenished by a steady stream of tiny bubbles cascading from below though the burnt straw clear coloured ale. . The eggshell head has some serious staying power and is so thick it just stays in one piece when moved around.

S-Sour hints of wheat dominate with a steady background of lemon/grapefruit hops.

T-Sweetness and a bit of sourness from the wheat. The hops are there but not to the same degree as in hop sun. The hops that do come through come through right after the sweetness and provide some counterpunch to the strong wheat taste. Some being the operative word. The alchohol provides some heat and is not that well hidden. There is some burn in the aftertaste. Spices can also be detected as I am getting a black pepper quality as well.

M-The fluffy head which remains throughout gives you a first hint of foam followed by the slightly creamy mouthfeel. Less carbonation than you would think considering the stream of bubbles being so strong.

D-This is a good beer but once again like Hoppe there is too much of an alcohol burn. Also I would like them to up the hop ante if they are going to make an Imperial. I had high hopes for this considering I love hop sun, I guess I like the little brother better. Still this is a nice night cap on a warm late summer evening.

sleazo, Sep 07, 2007
3.1/5  rDev -22.9%

A- Clear golden-orange. Airy white head dies off quickly leaving patchy remnants of head floating on top.

S- Heavy on the wheat and the hop. Very sweet.

T- Horribly unbalanced for an American Pale Wheat. i'm inclined to agree with the Bros- I think this is mis-classified. Heavy biscuit malts with a sweet, almost molasses taste. Very strong, bitter (and wholly unpleasant) finish.

M- Medium to full bodied. Uhg, the bitterness just lingers and won't go away, kinda like a stray cat.

D- Seems way too heavy to be the shiny summery beer the name and label leads you to believe. Thankfully there's someone else here who enjoys it & I'll go ahead and pass it to the right

Avryle, May 02, 2008
Photo of
3.15/5  rDev -21.6%

22oz. bottle

Clear, true gold in color. Small, off white head, creamy. No lacing, some legs.

Grapefruit and pineapple greet the nose. Whiff of earthiness. Some spice after sniffing deeply.

Sweet more than bitter initially -- fruity, mangos and other tropical stuff. Touch of alcohol. Bittering kicks in at the finish and lingers nicely -- grassy in character.

Medium + body. Low to medium carbonation. Fairly dry.

Tasty, but not sure that this works for me. Personally, I look for light body and low ABV with good flavor in this style. An imperial summer wheat seems like a bit of a contradiction. I prefer the Hop Sun from this brewery when reaching for a wheat.

, Sep 06, 2007
3.23/5  rDev -19.7%

Pours a clear yellow/amber with a giant off white foamy head. The head lasts and leaves great lacing. The smell is alittle on the weak side,but you can make out wheat,alcohol,and bread yeast. The taste has bread yeast,wheat,lemon,alcohol,and bitter hops. The m/f is somewhat heavy with the flavors mixing only OK. Not a bad beer,but this is a strange concept that probably should not have been tried.

jmz62565, Jul 11, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

Drank on-tap at the Publick House, Brookline, MA

Poured a crystal clear, golden yellow with a flimsy white cap that faded to a thin ring of lace.

The aroma was fairly mild initially but came out a bit more as the beer warmed. Ripe fruits and honey notes were initially noticeable. Later, citrusy hops dominated.

The taste was very odd for the style. I was expecting some crisp, lemony, citric notes and all I got was hops, hops and more hops. The hops were extremely piney and resiny and they took hold of my palate like an iron vice. Some fruit notes came through in the center before the hops crescendoed into the uber piney, dry, cracker-like finish.

The mouthfeel was the only saving grace of this beer. Medium bodied and silky smooth with a lively, mouth coating effervescence.

While not overwhelming, the 8% ABV was definitely quite noticeable from start to finish. I was hoping for something a bit more drinkable and refreshing.

I cannot remember the last time I tried a beer that seemed as far off from the style as this one. This is an American pale wheat ale? Tasted more like a hop-heavy double IPA to me. I even had to check with the bartender to make sure he gave me the correct beer.

This was the only Southern Tier offering that has been a disappointment thus far. Usually their beers are dead-on stylistically. For some reason they decided to get a little too crazy with this one.

Damian, May 14, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass.

Very clear appearance with a 3-finger head.

It smelled like a combo of orange and lemon.

I wasn't impressed with the taste as it was tangy and dry with a slight hop taste like an IPA. It was slightly bitter.

It was light on the mouth, but didn't go down all that smooth. It's not one I would drink often. It's an interesting beer, but I prefer the less-steriod version of this = Hop Sun.

SUjunkie, Jul 11, 2008
3.38/5  rDev -15.9%

Pours a very light amber with almost no head. The little head there is dissipates quickly.

Has a slight floral scent, but otherwise nothing special.

Bitter hoppiness with a fruity (strawberry?) undertone. Coats the tongue and throat with the hop residue. Pleasant, but nothing amazing.

I feel like a bottle is as much of this beer as I'd be willing to drink at any sitting. Good, but not great.

kindacold, May 24, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -15.4%

Clear golden colored glass of beer with a tall puffy white head.

Smell is sweet and quite malty to the nose along with the smell of honey. Little bit of barley husk smell and grass and tea hop scents. Faintly spicy but you could miss it.

Taste starts out sweet and malty with just a touch of bitterness in the aftertaste. Bitterness gets stronger and a citrus aftertaste appears. Grapefruit flavor plays hide and seek with my taste buds. Quite mild in flavor and not a trace of the quite substantial alcohol can be tasted.

Mouthfeel is good.

Super mild in flavor, too mild in my opinion. Sweet and not very hoppy or spicy. I do expect great things from this brewery based upon their past excellent beers, but this one doesn't really measure up. This needs spiciness or hops or something to make it more interesting. Nonetheless this is effortless to drink.

Zorro, Jun 09, 2008
3.4/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This beer pours a clear pale orange color. The head is three inches in height, and recedes very quickly into thick lacing. The aroma is of grapefruit and grass. The taste is like the aroma, but with the addition of a sharp citrus note. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with nice carbonation. Overall, this beer is more like a wheat-IPA than a usual American Pale Wheat Ale. I love wheat beer, and I love IPAs. However, I haven't been a fan of any hoppy wheat beer I have tried.

KarlHungus, Aug 07, 2008
3.43/5  rDev -14.7%

22-oz bomber poured into a weizen.

A - Clear golden liquid with a medium sized fluffy white head. Good retention resolving slowly into a thin layer of foam on surface.

S = Lots of pine hops. If I didn't know this was based on a wheat beer, I'd think I might be smelling an American pale ale or possibly even an IPA. But then underneath there are traces of hay, a light barnyard flavors.

T = Solid hops flavors and a good bitterness but also a sweet almost candy like flavor mingled in, with very light traces of wheat grains and honey.

M = A little too stinging in the carbonation and alcohol feel for me but it coats the mouth well.

D = This is a pretty decent beer but one glass is about all I want and it just is not captivating enough for me to feel pulled back to it anytime soon. All in it is not any more appealing than an average APA (which it resembles more than anything else) though it is stronger in the alcohol.

Traquairlover, May 22, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -14.2%

22oz poured into my Ommegang glass.

One finger of head that faded fairly fast. Some nice lacing. The hops presence was nice but not too pronounced, wheat and malts were also present. Taste was underwhelming the hops are upfront, mixed with the wheat malts. There was something off, that just didn't seem to mix well and I can't seem to put my finger on it. The beer was smooth and crisp on the way down and I think I will try another bottle in hopes that maybe my was just a tad bit off. I love Southern Tier beers but this one just didn't do it for me.

Bobbydigi, Jun 16, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -14.2%

A - poured into a weissbier glass. hazy yellow-orange. crazy huge head. didn't linger long, but left lots of lacing.

S - lightly toasted white bread, bitter orange

T - significantly more bitter than I was expecting from the style or even the smell. taken for what it is, it's quite pleasant, but even as I finish off this glass it's still catching me by surprise. not something I'd call balanced, suffice to say.

M - nice body for a light beer. oily and smooth, yet no ABV burn to speak of. nice.

D - a well made "imperial" from Southern Tier -- is there any other kind? -- that nevertheless struggles to find its identity.

Richardberg, Aug 28, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -13.4%

Original Rating Date:
October 11, 2008

Relatively docile nose on this brew, a hint of herbs and vegetation, but not much. Pours beautifully with a monster, fluffy head. Clear light orange hue. Nice, solid lacing. Taste is dominated by grassy hops, not too bitter, a bit of citric fruit. There's a little bit of malt in there but it rests in the shadow of the grassy hops. Great summertime beer, glad I got this on possibly the last warm day of fall.

Vendetta, Dec 14, 2008

acurtis, Sep 02, 2013

babybew, Dec 29, 2011

harpus, Apr 14, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

Bomber to chalice. Pours a nice golden color, with chill haze prevalent throughout. Thin, off-white foamy head, recedes quickly, though a nice swirl produces prodigious foam. Some spotty lacing, though nothing too impressive.
Smells greatly of wheat and malt. No hop scent present at all.
Tastes very similar to the scent, very malty at the start and middle, finishes malty with a slight bit of alcohol warmth.
Mouthfeel is spot on, great carbonation and an ideal smoothness makes this one Imperial that is highly drinkable.

BabyBastard, Jan 12, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured into a weizen glass.
A- Fluffy medium sized head that fades into a thin film that leaves some lacing. Uber-sun is a sunny golden color with a slight haze but light still passes through.

S- Floral, lemony and light. Its wheaty, yeasty and malty.

T- biscuity malts under some grapefruity hops. There is some faint spiciness.

M- Nice and crisp, tingly carbonation.

D- Nice, thirst quenching and crisp. Good for a summer evening.

MbpBugeye, Aug 01, 2009