Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 08-26-2007)
Reviews by mashedpotatoes:
4.6/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22oz. bottle, the color is an amber-orange with a small to medium head that is very cloying to the glass. The smell is immediately pumpkin with ginger, cinnamon, allspice. Upon first taste you can taste and smell all the spices and pumpkin but it's the aftertaste that gets the win here. About 2 seconds in you start to taste gingerbread/graham cracker crust of the pie. The aftertaste is even more pleasing, leaving you feeling like you just ate a slice of pumpkin pie. Mouthfeel is heavy and thick but not overwhelming. Drinkability is extremely high as are most of Southern Tier products. This is top shelf right here, arguably the best pumpkin ale out today!

mashedpotatoes, Nov 07, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

A: The beer is cloudy amber-orange in color and poured with a finger high white head that quickly settled into a thin layer of bubbles consistently covering the surface. A medium to high amount of carbonation is visible.
S: There are inviting aromas of sweet pumpkin pie in the nose, which almost makes this beer smell like a dessert.
T: While there is some malty sweetness and flavors of pumpkins and spices in the in taste, these are nicely balanced with some hop bitterness.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
D: The beer is very easy to drink because the sweet flavors in the taste aren't cloying because of the underlying hops and the alcohol content is very well masked.

metter98, Nov 02, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance: Pours an almost clear honey color with a modest, but frothy head that leaves a reasonable splashing of lace

Smell: Pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and sweetened cornbread

Taste: Opens with a rich pumpkin and spice flavor, which becomes increasingly spicey by mid-palate; after the swallow, the cornbread flavor builds, sweet and buttery; the finish has some alcohol on it

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation; some warmth on the swallow

Drinkability: A big, flavorful pumpkin brew; among the best if not the very best

brentk56, Oct 21, 2007
4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Huge thanks to mjtiernan for sending me this one!

Pours a clear light copper orange with a 1 inch fizzy orange-white head that fades to an oily film on the top of the beer. No lacing on this one on the drink down. Kind of a disappointing appearance. Smell is very complex with caramel malt, biscuits, actual pumpkin puree, and a wide array of pumpkin pie spices - cinnamon, clove, nutmeg. Taste is of malt/bread/biscuit/crust, unsweetened pumpkin puree, brown sugar, and the aforementioned spices. There is a slight spice bitterness that sticks the the tongue after each sip. This beer has a higher level of carbonation with a crisp and dry finish. Overall, this is a good pumpkin ale that is somewhat different that I was expecting. I was thinking that this could be a creamy, sweet pumpkin milkshake of a beer but I like this one as it is.

UCLABrewN84, Aug 31, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Don't know where this came from or even who bought it but it was on the table at a friends place last week when we were sampling beers and man was it a find. Don't know anything about the brewery but after trying this and their Hoppe Pale Ale I'm gonna do some research on these guys.

It came from a 22 oz bottle with some pretty cool artwork on it. The beer poured an orange/rust color that was very clear and had an off-white, almost orange head that faded quickly. Smelled strong of pumpkin pie (as all these types of beer do) but with some extra spices that really made it stand out from the other 6 or 7 pumpkin beers ive tried.

It tasted great, that is it tasted like pumpkin pie and good beer. No idea what the alcohol content is and the website doesn't say either but it was balanced well with the flavors. It also had a thick body that was both good and bad depending on if you want to chug this beer or sip on it with thanksgiving dinner. Overall its a pretty drinkable beer and I would like to find more of this stuff.

t0rin0, Oct 29, 2007
3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

9% ABV per label.I like the concept of the Imperial pumpkin ale but in the end it just didnt seem to hit home with me,poured into an impy pint glass a clear deep copper with some dark orange tint a thinner wispy head atop.Full on spice and alcohol in the aroma maybe even a bit much in the spice department,heavy cardamom and clove with a dose of vanilla bourbon it becomes a bit boozy after it warms a little.Spice and booze overpower the palate in my mind very spiced like the nose cardamom and clove with a lingering cinnamon that bourbon vanilla booze hits and hits hard making a bit tough to swallow after awhile for me some dryer toastiness tries to show thru but it faint.I think a little over the top for me I still like the concept but this was just to much for me.

oberon, Sep 23, 2007

IronCity1822, Sep 05, 2012
2.38/5  rDev -41.5%

I was really looking forward to this one but I found myself very disappointed. Looks fine but the smell is off. Why is the nose giving me hints of sweet corn on my pumpkin beer? It's just not right.

The taste was artificial and seemed sweetened with something that I couldn't put my finger on. Very unpleasant for my palate. I found the finish drying and chalky and I was left with a sharp, off taste at the back of my mouth. One glass was more than enough.

My favorite previous to Pumking was St. Ambroise Pumkin Ale and in a roundabout way, Pumking has given me a new appreciation for the St. Ambroise version which has nice nutmeg & cinnamon notes and a subtle hint of pumpkin.

Not was I was expecting. I doubt I'll have another.

Popsinc, Oct 20, 2010

aszatk01, Aug 24, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Bomber served up at Delilah’s 5000th party. Shockingly full flavored and interestingly bodied beer but a little difficult to drink in large quantities.

To me this is exactly what a pumpkin beer should be. Pumpking is loaded with an intense spiciness suitable for the best pumpkin pie or loaf. The malt is meaty like fried butternut squash and depthful like a Belgian malt bomb.

Appearance: Golden-yellow body with a thin yellowed-white froth. Decent looking but nothing special.

Aroma: Probably the best pumpkin beer aroma I’ve come across. Nutmeg is huge as is cinnamon. A general all spiciness is there too. Almonds and cashew nuttiness. Graham crackers and ginger bead. Whipped cream. Pumpkin seeds. Vanilla extract.

Flavor/Mouthfeel: Here things get a bit frightening. The flavor contains all the complexity and interest of the aroma but adds even more spice. I feel warmth from the booze and all the fall seasonings. My whole mouth is alive and awake. My sinuses are clearing. It’s wonderful in so many ways but sadly, my stomach doesn’t agree. Each sip is like eating an entire slice of pumpkin pie. It gets filling and the nutmeg starts doing strange things to one’s digestive track. This is when drinkability becomes an issue.

So, I wouldn’t want to drink more than a glass in one sitting but otherwise this is a startling good beer and loads of fun to experience.

DaPeculierDane, Oct 09, 2007
4.16/5  rDev +2.2%

BryanFlaherty, Sep 13, 2014
3.63/5  rDev -10.8%

A: Slightly hazy orange color with a rather big white head that leaves some lacings.

S: Very very weird. Powerful pumpkin aromas, holiday spices (nutmeg, cinnamon), bread crumbs, dough and a general character of pie. Gingerbread snaps. Notes of oranges. Perhaps some malts beneath this pumpkin pie madness. I actually like this, in a strange way.

T: Taste is not as crazy as the smell, but it's still rather weird. Again, pumpkin and spicy pie flavors dominate. It's sweet with lots of fruity notes (pumpkin, oranges). Notes of nutmeg and cinnamon levels the sweetness a bit. Lots of dough character - it's like drinking a pumpkin pie. At times, I think I can even taste pie crust. The finish is somewhat bitter, which is quite pleasant here, and has notes of pumpkin and spices. No sign of the alcohol.

M: Medium body, easy to drink. Moderate carbonation. Slightly dry finish.

D: This is one strange beer. However, I must say I enjoyed it. It definitely achieves what it sets out to achieve - being one big pumpkin beer. I wouldn't want to drink a whole lot of it though, nor drink it very often.

ricke, Oct 22, 2009
3.64/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark orange color with little head and retention. However the orange is pumpkin orange and the color is awesome. The nose is like pumpkin pie. I smell allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, pumkin, and vanilla extract.

I can appreciate the pumkin spice in the beer but there is a problem, too much spice and I got a somewhat lingering citrusy bitterness. I aslo feel that the pumpkin flavoring of the beer just isn't very good but I'm not a Pumpkin beer guy.

This beer has a somewhat sticky mouthfeel. I'd like a bigger malt body to go with the pumpkin spice. Somehow, this beer just doesn't do it for me but it is the best Pumpkin I've ever tried. I knew I'd be okay just because it was from Southern Tier.

ExtraStout, Oct 09, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -14%

Reviewed on 1/8/11.

Pumking emerges from the bottle with an orange-peach-gold color combination and an eggshell-white, one and a half finger head after it's pour into a large snifter. A moderate number of carbonation bubbles rise up a a mezzo pace. The lacing is very ghostly and contortionistic- quite apt for the holiday for which it is brewed.

The aroma brings forth notes of pumpkin purée, caramel malt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. A scent reminiscent of freshly baked banana bread complements. When agitated, I can smell some earthy bitter hops and biscuit.

This bottle is a little old, I guess, but I feel as if the pumpkin taste has worn off a bit. Without pumpkin prominence, the caramel malt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and earthy hops keep each other in balance, with the hops and a dry biscuit taste winning out in the end.

I was hoping for a creamy mouthfeel with how high the a.b.v. is, but what I find is a fairly thin body at the beginning and in the middle of the sip. The finish is out of whack bitter as the Magnum hops bite at my palate more than I would like for this brew. It is not a very balanced mouthfeel in this man's opinion.

Maybe this would be better right off the bottling line, but in its current state I thought it was unbalanced in favor of spice and hop flavors. A little more pumpkin in the mix and a smoother mouthfeel would encourage me to rate it a bit higher.

TCHopCraver, Jan 11, 2011

OhioBobcat, Sep 26, 2013
4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

A: A light copper with good clarity. The head quickly settles to a ring of rocky white foam around the glass.

S: Smells like a pumpkin pie with a moderately-strong pumpkin and a caramel malt that combine to smell like a pie crust. Moderately-low pie spices mostly allspice and a little clove and ginger. There is enough esters to let me know I've got an ale in my hand but not enough to name it. The malt and and the pumpkin take center stage here. No alcohol.

T: The spice flavor is a little bit stronger than the malt, moderately-strong and moderate respectively, followed by a moderate malt caramelness. There is a moderately-low bitterness that tames some of the crystal malt sweetness which comes in early to mid-palate. The off-dry finish is followed with a spicy and slightly bitter aftertaste. The pumpkin flavor starts to dominate as it warms.

M: A medium to medum-heavy body with moderately-high carbonation. There is a moderate amount of alcohol warmth not that you get that impression in the nose. A slight creaminess and a little prickle that is hard to avoid with the use of spice addition to a beer.

O: This is has been one of my favor pumpkin beers The spice flavor seems a bit more pronounced this year when I think of the past couple years but the pumpkin is still the main player. I look for ward to this beer year after year even though I'm not a fan of the pumpkin style because most are so heavy spiced you could just call a Christmas beer and you'd never no.

MadScientist, Sep 22, 2012

jono0101, Jun 21, 2013

npala86, Sep 18, 2013

Tiernan, Aug 28, 2013
4.36/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

A-Pours a brilliant orange color like a fresh pumpkin, frothy white head with loads of bubbles throughout.

S-Fresh baked pumpkin pie, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla ice cream seriously delicious to smell

T-Pumking is right this is not light on the flavor of pumpkin, nutmeg and cinnamon is there as well as a kind of vanilla cream taste.

M-Good throughout medium body, to me it has a bit of a sharp finish that im not particularly fond of maybe from the spice, flavor hangs around for a bit which is nice makes me want to comeback for more.

O- My favorite pumpkin beer, it's one i get excited to drink for both the flavor and the time of the year it signifies. Delicious taste, beautiful color.

GreaseShark, Oct 16, 2013

Southern Tier Imperial Pumking Ale 9.0% alcohol seasonal. Given to me as a gift. Festive Halloween decor with a "king" pumpkin on the label and presented in a 22oz. bomber. Poured into pint glass.

A- Pours a beautiful amber colored fluid that produces a inch and a half head that gently falls to a frothy top and decent patch lacing.
Excellent for the style.

S- This is one hell of a pumpkin ale when it come to smell. Overall the closest scent to a pumpkin pie i've ever smelled no lie! All spice, cinnamon, light caramel, and fresh cooked pumpkin.

T-M- Not overpowering but to the point fresh pumpkin ale... Quirky bites of pumpkin pie and all spice followed by cinnamon with notes of tangy caramel malts with stiff alcohol warmth.
Mouthfeel is good with just enough carbonation to smoothly roll over the strength of the flavors. Overall taste and mouthfeel is good with little to prevent you from likeing this beer unless pumpkin isn't your thing.

D- All and all this is one excellent holiday beer with smooth and sweet qualities that make it a great addition to a turkey dinner or any large meal. Cheers to the innovations of the craft beer movement!

wesbrownyeah, Dec 21, 2010