Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 08-26-2007)
Reviews by portia99:
portia99

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

22oz bottle poured into a Portsmouth goblet.

A - Pours a brilliantly clear, bright orange/copper color. A quickly dissipating slightly off white, 1/2 finger of foam makes a brief apearance and dies to some sparse bubbles on the surface.

S - Smells of fresh pumpkin, light nutmeg, cinnamon, and maybe a hint of bubblegum here. Spicy and sweet - just like a fresh pumpkin pie. Smells really good.

T - Wow! Liquid pumpkin pie. Plenty of pumpkin character comes thru (which is fairly unique in my experience with pumpkin beers - usually just get the spice), even with the good amount of spices here. Nutmeg, cinnamon, medium hop bitterness. Just the right amount of malty, sugary sweetness. All blend together just about perfectly.

M - Light to medium bodied. Good malt backbone gives enough thickness but isn't syrupy. Herbal and spicy flavors fill the mouth, give a slight cooling sensation. Carbonation is on the high side and gives a good, lively fizziness.

D - Good fall seasonal that fits well with the cool evenings. Nice and crisp...just feels like autumn. Gotta make sure I pick up another bottle and save for Thanksgiving...high level of alcohol limits drinkability, but is difficult to detect while drinking. This one could sneak up on you...

09-22-2009 18:15:27 | More by portia99
GreaseShark

4.36/5  rDev +7.1%

A-Pours a brilliant orange color like a fresh pumpkin, frothy white head with loads of bubbles throughout.

S-Fresh baked pumpkin pie, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla ice cream seriously delicious to smell

T-Pumking is right this is not light on the flavor of pumpkin, nutmeg and cinnamon is there as well as a kind of vanilla cream taste.

M-Good throughout medium body, to me it has a bit of a sharp finish that im not particularly fond of maybe from the spice, flavor hangs around for a bit which is nice makes me want to comeback for more.

O- My favorite pumpkin beer, it's one i get excited to drink for both the flavor and the time of the year it signifies. Delicious taste, beautiful color.

10-16-2013 15:25:46 | More by GreaseShark
wesbrownyeah

Southern Tier Imperial Pumking Ale 9.0% alcohol seasonal. Given to me as a gift. Festive Halloween decor with a "king" pumpkin on the label and presented in a 22oz. bomber. Poured into pint glass.

A- Pours a beautiful amber colored fluid that produces a inch and a half head that gently falls to a frothy top and decent patch lacing.
Excellent for the style.

S- This is one hell of a pumpkin ale when it come to smell. Overall the closest scent to a pumpkin pie i've ever smelled no lie! All spice, cinnamon, light caramel, and fresh cooked pumpkin.

T-M- Not overpowering but to the point fresh pumpkin ale... Quirky bites of pumpkin pie and all spice followed by cinnamon with notes of tangy caramel malts with stiff alcohol warmth.
Mouthfeel is good with just enough carbonation to smoothly roll over the strength of the flavors. Overall taste and mouthfeel is good with little to prevent you from likeing this beer unless pumpkin isn't your thing.

D- All and all this is one excellent holiday beer with smooth and sweet qualities that make it a great addition to a turkey dinner or any large meal. Cheers to the innovations of the craft beer movement!

12-21-2010 23:32:46 | More by wesbrownyeah
TempeBeerMan

Arizona

3.71/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint.

A - Hazy golden-yellow, with a two finger snow-white head, which dissipated to NOTHING very quickly. NO lacing to speak of. Surprised this beer wasn't darker.

S - Strong aroma of squashed pumpkin, spices (nutmeg, allspice) and even graham cracker pie crust. An odd hint of "wet paper" odor underneath.

T - Taste follows the nose, with pumpkin pie spices (nutmeg, ginger, and allspice) taking center stage; especially heavy on the ginger and the allspice. Pumpkin seed flavor lingers underneath. Malts blend with the spices to produce a pie crust flavor, which is nice. Doesn't hide it's ABV particularly well.

M - Medium bodied, with medium carbonation. Seems like it could have used a fuller body.

O - Tasty, but didn't live up to the hype for me. Nothing really off putting, just really didn't come together as well as I would have hoped. (a little too much ginger, a little too light of body). I'm sure I will be in the minority here, but I like Sam Adams Fat Jack better.

08-14-2014 03:47:41 | More by TempeBeerMan
oberon

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

9% ABV per label.I like the concept of the Imperial pumpkin ale but in the end it just didnt seem to hit home with me,poured into an impy pint glass a clear deep copper with some dark orange tint a thinner wispy head atop.Full on spice and alcohol in the aroma maybe even a bit much in the spice department,heavy cardamom and clove with a dose of vanilla bourbon it becomes a bit boozy after it warms a little.Spice and booze overpower the palate in my mind very spiced like the nose cardamom and clove with a lingering cinnamon that bourbon vanilla booze hits and hits hard making a bit tough to swallow after awhile for me some dryer toastiness tries to show thru but it faint.I think a little over the top for me I still like the concept but this was just to much for me.

09-23-2007 21:45:01 | More by oberon
IronCity1822

Missouri

09-05-2012 00:52:17 | More by IronCity1822
Popsinc

Ontario (Canada)

2.38/5  rDev -41.5%

I was really looking forward to this one but I found myself very disappointed. Looks fine but the smell is off. Why is the nose giving me hints of sweet corn on my pumpkin beer? It's just not right.

The taste was artificial and seemed sweetened with something that I couldn't put my finger on. Very unpleasant for my palate. I found the finish drying and chalky and I was left with a sharp, off taste at the back of my mouth. One glass was more than enough.

My favorite previous to Pumking was St. Ambroise Pumkin Ale and in a roundabout way, Pumking has given me a new appreciation for the St. Ambroise version which has nice nutmeg & cinnamon notes and a subtle hint of pumpkin.

Not was I was expecting. I doubt I'll have another.

10-20-2010 19:49:52 | More by Popsinc
aszatk01

08-24-2012 00:31:17 | More by aszatk01
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Bomber served up at Delilah’s 5000th party. Shockingly full flavored and interestingly bodied beer but a little difficult to drink in large quantities.

To me this is exactly what a pumpkin beer should be. Pumpking is loaded with an intense spiciness suitable for the best pumpkin pie or loaf. The malt is meaty like fried butternut squash and depthful like a Belgian malt bomb.

Appearance: Golden-yellow body with a thin yellowed-white froth. Decent looking but nothing special.

Aroma: Probably the best pumpkin beer aroma I’ve come across. Nutmeg is huge as is cinnamon. A general all spiciness is there too. Almonds and cashew nuttiness. Graham crackers and ginger bead. Whipped cream. Pumpkin seeds. Vanilla extract.

Flavor/Mouthfeel: Here things get a bit frightening. The flavor contains all the complexity and interest of the aroma but adds even more spice. I feel warmth from the booze and all the fall seasonings. My whole mouth is alive and awake. My sinuses are clearing. It’s wonderful in so many ways but sadly, my stomach doesn’t agree. Each sip is like eating an entire slice of pumpkin pie. It gets filling and the nutmeg starts doing strange things to one’s digestive track. This is when drinkability becomes an issue.

So, I wouldn’t want to drink more than a glass in one sitting but otherwise this is a startling good beer and loads of fun to experience.

10-09-2007 18:06:11 | More by DaPeculierDane
ricke

Sweden

3.63/5  rDev -10.8%

A: Slightly hazy orange color with a rather big white head that leaves some lacings.

S: Very very weird. Powerful pumpkin aromas, holiday spices (nutmeg, cinnamon), bread crumbs, dough and a general character of pie. Gingerbread snaps. Notes of oranges. Perhaps some malts beneath this pumpkin pie madness. I actually like this, in a strange way.

T: Taste is not as crazy as the smell, but it's still rather weird. Again, pumpkin and spicy pie flavors dominate. It's sweet with lots of fruity notes (pumpkin, oranges). Notes of nutmeg and cinnamon levels the sweetness a bit. Lots of dough character - it's like drinking a pumpkin pie. At times, I think I can even taste pie crust. The finish is somewhat bitter, which is quite pleasant here, and has notes of pumpkin and spices. No sign of the alcohol.

M: Medium body, easy to drink. Moderate carbonation. Slightly dry finish.

D: This is one strange beer. However, I must say I enjoyed it. It definitely achieves what it sets out to achieve - being one big pumpkin beer. I wouldn't want to drink a whole lot of it though, nor drink it very often.

10-22-2009 14:19:05 | More by ricke
ExtraStout

3.64/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a dark orange color with little head and retention. However the orange is pumpkin orange and the color is awesome. The nose is like pumpkin pie. I smell allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, pumkin, and vanilla extract.

I can appreciate the pumkin spice in the beer but there is a problem, too much spice and I got a somewhat lingering citrusy bitterness. I aslo feel that the pumpkin flavoring of the beer just isn't very good but I'm not a Pumpkin beer guy.

This beer has a somewhat sticky mouthfeel. I'd like a bigger malt body to go with the pumpkin spice. Somehow, this beer just doesn't do it for me but it is the best Pumpkin I've ever tried. I knew I'd be okay just because it was from Southern Tier.

10-09-2013 21:23:58 | More by ExtraStout
TCHopCraver

3.5/5  rDev -14%

Reviewed on 1/8/11.

Pumking emerges from the bottle with an orange-peach-gold color combination and an eggshell-white, one and a half finger head after it's pour into a large snifter. A moderate number of carbonation bubbles rise up a a mezzo pace. The lacing is very ghostly and contortionistic- quite apt for the holiday for which it is brewed.

The aroma brings forth notes of pumpkin purée, caramel malt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. A scent reminiscent of freshly baked banana bread complements. When agitated, I can smell some earthy bitter hops and biscuit.

This bottle is a little old, I guess, but I feel as if the pumpkin taste has worn off a bit. Without pumpkin prominence, the caramel malt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and earthy hops keep each other in balance, with the hops and a dry biscuit taste winning out in the end.

I was hoping for a creamy mouthfeel with how high the a.b.v. is, but what I find is a fairly thin body at the beginning and in the middle of the sip. The finish is out of whack bitter as the Magnum hops bite at my palate more than I would like for this brew. It is not a very balanced mouthfeel in this man's opinion.

Maybe this would be better right off the bottling line, but in its current state I thought it was unbalanced in favor of spice and hop flavors. A little more pumpkin in the mix and a smoother mouthfeel would encourage me to rate it a bit higher.

01-11-2011 00:59:00 | More by TCHopCraver
OhioBobcat

09-26-2013 01:27:11 | More by OhioBobcat
MadScientist

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

A: A light copper with good clarity. The head quickly settles to a ring of rocky white foam around the glass.

S: Smells like a pumpkin pie with a moderately-strong pumpkin and a caramel malt that combine to smell like a pie crust. Moderately-low pie spices mostly allspice and a little clove and ginger. There is enough esters to let me know I've got an ale in my hand but not enough to name it. The malt and and the pumpkin take center stage here. No alcohol.

T: The spice flavor is a little bit stronger than the malt, moderately-strong and moderate respectively, followed by a moderate malt caramelness. There is a moderately-low bitterness that tames some of the crystal malt sweetness which comes in early to mid-palate. The off-dry finish is followed with a spicy and slightly bitter aftertaste. The pumpkin flavor starts to dominate as it warms.

M: A medium to medum-heavy body with moderately-high carbonation. There is a moderate amount of alcohol warmth not that you get that impression in the nose. A slight creaminess and a little prickle that is hard to avoid with the use of spice addition to a beer.

O: This is has been one of my favor pumpkin beers The spice flavor seems a bit more pronounced this year when I think of the past couple years but the pumpkin is still the main player. I look for ward to this beer year after year even though I'm not a fan of the pumpkin style because most are so heavy spiced you could just call a Christmas beer and you'd never no.

09-22-2012 01:05:57 | More by MadScientist

ajkiser12

11-27-2012 20:27:51 | More by ajkiser12
sgoodship

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

My wife thought this was seasonal and picked this up for me at the store. I have to say my experience with Southern Tier are a bit hit and miss, so I am intrigued to see how this plays out.

Poured out of a bomber, it was a nice clear amber color containing lots of big carbonation bubbles. A nice craggy yellowy white finger head topped things off. The head retention was great and the lacing was very nice - big patterns.

The nose is a good malty, spice and pumpkin. The caramel and pumpkin feel like an interesting sweet and sour.

The taste is a very bold, creamy vanilla and pumpkin. It's exceptionally sweet but stayed in play for me. If it had crossed the line, it would have been a drain pour. The finish was unexpectedly dry which made you want to go in for more sweetness. A very interesting brew. There's definitely clove coming through strongly and cinnamon too.

The body feels full, almost like a milk stout with lactose. It's creamy and round in the mouth.

It's a festive tasting drink. I'd say it was probably more vanilla and clove than pumpkin but whatever - I'm not pumpkin loyal! It was nice to try it. We are all better off for people like Southern Tier trying new stuff out but having said that, I don't think I want to have another. It's definitely a taste thing - I'm sure plenty of folks will enjoy this.

11-22-2009 06:20:43 | More by sgoodship