Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,839 | Reviews: 1,878

There are no words to express the perfection of this brew, but I will try. As soon as you pour this brew, you are delighted with the aroma and colour it has as it hits the side of your goblet from the bottle and the smooth head holds nice lacing and has very beautiful retention. You take a whiff. This is pure delight. Autumn has sprung! This is fresh pumpkin pie with whipped cream on top. Nothing is overdone here. The spices are perfect, the colour is perfect, and the head is beautiful. The only test left now is the taste. As this liquid hit my lips, my eyes rolled back in pure ecstacy. The mouthfeel is cream and the taste is superb. This is pure thanksgiving that you remember as a child. This is your grandmothers pumpkin pie served to you on your favorite plate as you gazed out the window at the changing coloured leaves while simultaniously opening your first christmas gift.

I first experienced the pumking 3 years ago, and I have tried over 70 pumpkin beers since then. No pumpkin beer compares to the Pumking.

ALL HAIL THE KING!

Very layered. Best pumpkin beer I have ever had.. Great to drink At room temperature

Poured deep orange with 1/2 thick head that lightly dissipated. S:rich pumpkin pie crust with cinnamon and nutmeg. T: almost spot on with how it smells; pumpkin pie crust with hints of cinnamon, nutmeg and slight hints of allspice. I have to admit, I'm a fan of the sweeter craft seasonal beers, and this is one of them. Best pumpkin beer I've had to date. Absolutely amazing.

The BEST pumpkin beer around. Always a seasonal favorite.

This is my favorite beer.

This beer is amazing. Smells delicious, pretty much like sweet pumpkin. Taste follows the nose, absolutely delicious and smooth. For 8.6% alcohol, you cant taste it at all which makes this my new favorite beer. I HIGHLY recommend trying it to anyone.

I just love this beer! I bought 2 cases of it at $6.99 per a bottle. It's a hard beer to find. When they sell it at Whole Foods you have to request it because it's not on the shelves and they only allow 1 bottle per person per day. They sell it at Churchkey for $18 a bottle. This beer smells amazing. Smells like vanilla pumpkin. Tastes like vanilla pumpkin without all those spices like nutmeg and cinnamon that can be overpowering. It's smooth. This is my fav beer of all time so far.

Excellent !! Just before you take a drink you get a very pleasant smell coming from the glass. This is the beer I judge all other pumpkin beer.

I love pumpkin beers and this one took the cake. As soon as you hold it up to drink it the smell of fall goodness is right there! I have tried many different ones and this is hands down my fav. Southern Tier is one of my favorite brewery's. I just recently found them and have liked everything i have tried. I'm not sure how I missed them!

I was a little dissapointed when i saw that the ABV percentage got knocked down again...im pretty sure 3 years ago it was 10%.

But either way at 8.6 it is still rather boozy.

All in all this is the most gorgeous smelling and tasting beer on the market if youre going for pumpkin or sweet. There is no argument that this is the best pumpkin beer on the market.

I consider myself a Pumking advocate, ive introduced countless friends to this brew and everyone freaks out everytime.

It's like drinking a boozy slice of pumpkin pie!

Very good, one of my favorite beers.

This beer is my favorite! I think I have consumed 2 cases of this beer all by myself. It's a hard beer to find. When they sell it at Whole Foods you have to request it because it's not on the shelves and they only allow 1 bottle per person per day. This beer smells amazing! It smells like vanilla pumpkin. It tastes like vanilla pumpkin without all those spices like nutmeg and cinnamon that can be overpowering. It's smooth. Just amazing!

Best pumpkin beer of them all

Bought this on clearance at a local shop for $3, saw good reviews so I figured I would give it a shot.

Poured into an Ommeggang beer glass.

A: Poured right out of the fridge and into the glass. Pours a gorgeous golden color with a hint of orange to it. A medium sized head, and just all around gorgeous.

S: Smell is ungodly. Smells exactly like a pumpkin pie, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. It is an amazing smell, likely one of the best smelling beers I have ever come across. Instantly filled the air with this aroma. Almost worth buying solely for the smell.

T: Taste is amazing, tastes just as it smells. It is like astronaut food haha, tastes exactly like pumpkin pie. One of the few beers that the taste matches the aroma. Well done.

M: Very smooth and great mouthfeel. Am usually not a huge fan of pumpkin beers, but this one has completely changed my mind.

O: Amazing aroma, great taste, and just an overall well well done beer. I will rarely give a beer a 5.0 but this is one beer that I feel is quite deserving of it.

Poured into a duvel at brouwers in seattle.

Appearance- Beautiful orange color with a finger of Whipped cream colored head. Leaving layers of head as you sip it down

Smell- pumkin pie with a hint of maple, nutmeg, cloves and allspice

Tatse- very forward with pumkin with subtle notes of maple, cloves and nutmeg.

Mouth- very smooth, creamy and full bodied

Overall this is a great beer, have with dessert or just for dessert Goes down almost to good.

By far the best pumpkin beer I have ever had. The only disappointment is they do not brew this beer year round. But I guess that is what makes it even more exceptional. This beer never last long when ever it is tap so do not hesitate get one when ever you can.

By far my favorite fall brew. I've tried gallons of other pumpkin brews however, STBC has mastered this one. Aroma. Appearance. Body. Consistency and taste. BAM!!!!

Special thanks to Dan from Buy Rite on Oak Tree in South Plainfield for busting out this 2007 vintage 22 ounce bottle...
After samping dozens of pumpkin ales, hands down, I must conclude that this is the best one, and most realisitc depiction of true pumpkin flavors...
Pours a bright-orange, light-copper hue with a minimal head that left plenty of lacing around the serving glass...
One whiff, and whoa - this is the real deal... the aroma and taste are so authentically pumpkin, - its amazing... No other pumpkin ale comes close to representing a true-to-the-flavor and style pumpkin pie...
Malts, custard, cream, hops, caramel, and various other spices contribute to an all-around amazing variation of the style...
Some of the ingredients listed on the side of the bottle include "caramel malt" and "pureed pumpkin"...
Great mouthfeel, and perhaps one of the best features about this beer was the fact that despite the hefty 9% ABV, no alcohol was detected at all - just real pumpkin flavor...
Outstanding stuff... This one is in a class of its own...
Definitely recommended...

A - Pours an clear orange color, with a minimal 1/2 finger off white head. I have brewed beers like this and I have no idea how they get it so clear with all of the pumpkin and spice that must go in there.

S - Smells of spice, clove, ginger, and pumpkin pie.

T - The taste is a lot like the smell. There are a lot of flavors going on, from clove, to all spice, to ginger... and of course pumpkin. The alcohol, even at 8.6% is non-existent. A joy to drink

M - The mouth feel is medium / heavy. There is a slight sweetness that coats your mouth too.

O - This is hands down my favorite pumpkin beer. It's rare that any beer can have this many flavors going on without anything being overwhelming. Stock up, because in a month or 2 you are going to want another and it'll be gone...

A: 5/5 Poured from a 22oz bottle into a frosted 22oz mug. Winter is coming and I'm ready for some pumpkin!!! The beer is bright with a creamy head.

S: 5/5 Cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, pumpkin, caramel, brown butter, walnuts, gram cracker and the crispness of autumn. What more could you possibly ask for???!

T: 5/5 All the pumpkin spice in the world and the booze gives it a rum quality. Fantastic!

M: 5/5 Creamy like pumpkin pie

O: 5/5 Best pumpkin beer ever!

In my opinion, Pumking is hands down, the best beer in the world. If it has ever been taken into outer space, it's probably the best beer there too. And it's not just it's "pie-in-a-glass" taste.

As your glass comes toward you, you first experience the beautiful color, then the wonderful aroma and then the perfect taste. Mouth feel is good too. If you like to just enjoy 1 or 2 beers, Pumking has substantial ABV that lessens the need for multiples.

It must be tough to brew a good pumpkin ale because I have tasted so many bad ones. There are none better than Southern Tier Pumking.

A- clear orange and when held up to the light, unsurprisingly it's the same color as a pumpkin! Gee whiz! Beautiful ecru head holds steady, scoffing the alcohol while leaving thick rings of drippy lace. I can already tell its gonna be worth all the hype.

S- Dizzamn. One little sniff turned me out like a ho. There's something in here that I'm not used to smelling in a pumpkin ale. At first my brain said brown sugar! Aha! Brown sugar in the mix! Then I start thinkin graham crackers then honey then pie crust and then I realize that it smells remarkably similar to their creme brulee stout. So could it be vanilla that sets it over the edge? I guess we'll never know. Ok so beside all that we have cooked pumpkin, those sweet cream filled pumpkin cake cookie sandwiches (called punkin gobs round here) and trace amounts of allspice and nutmeg. I can't really admit to detecting any cinnamon but lord this smells like some sort of pumpkin breakfast cereal and its amazing. Guess I should mention the background of toasty caramel malt, slight hop earthiness and floral alcohol.

T- sweet and toasty, earthy and woodsy like the dried leaves of autumn covered in cake frosting. Cassia flavor seems to come through with nutmeg and the peppery side of allspice and of course more vanilla. Toasted marshmallow, honey, sublime citrus pith hop bitterness mingled with the right amount of floral and pineapple alcohol, with a back and forth tug of war between sweet and bitter. It's like no one can win so they say hell with it, and it ends up tasting like a cookie. Finishes like a cookie. A pumpkin sugar cookie with a sprinkle of hops.

MF- slippery and juicy with a bit of a texture to it but very tight prickly carbonation scrubs the palate clean even though the bubbles aren't aggressive. Alcohol warmth is felt in the chest and dryness in the cheeks. I'm imagining fresh squeezed pumpkin juice with some vodka and spices idk I'm weird.

D- in my neck of the woods, the only beer that created such hype was Great Lakes Xmas, but now it's available at every grocery store, bar, and drive thru. This year, pumking jumped in and suddenly everyone was asking me where to find it, if I could get it on tap, etc. It was nowhere to be found, as if all the bars with access to that particular distributor hogged up the limited supply for my area. When all hope was lost for us to even TRY it so see why it is in such demand, one of my buddies found a ridiculously decent supply at a local and very unassuming store that will for now remain nameless. Best pumpkin ale I've ever had, flat out. Whatever gives it the cookie sweet aroma and balance of flavor is what wins. 8.6 abv isn't huge, but this one is still extremely drinkable. Take me away, lord Puca.

After trying many different pumpkin ales through the years this is definitely the best ever! I was a little unsure about this 9% abv pumpkin beer but after you have one taste you know this stuff is great. The appearance looks great, the smell is amazing with the smell of hops, pumpkin, and spices. The taste is a mouthful of flavors with lingering suprises after you take a drink. The mouthfeel has a nice body but not too rich or thick and not too thin or watery, just right. For a 9% abv beer it is very easy to drink, I counldn't see having any problem sitting down and drinking a few bottles (22oz) of this stuff. It is truly the best pumpkin ale ever made and is rightfully named as the Pumking! Southern Tier once again creates a masterpiece of a beer. Can't wait to see what they have in store for the future.

This beer is fantastic. If you don't like pumpkin then stay away this beer is not for you. Everything about this beer is great. It's my most anticipated seasonal every year and once again ST didn't disapoint. It pours to a dark rich looking golden brown. The smell radiates for the bottle the instant you open it. The smell once poured into a goblet is even better. A thick aromatic spice smell hits you instantly. Followed by subtle vanilla. Pumpkin is in the air. It tastes like it smells. Like a little bit of heaven with the big guy himself holding the serving spade. If I had to chose one way to describe the taste it would be liquid pumpkin pie. Mouth feel is instantly sweet with very low bitterness even with the two types of hops. The two different malts balance nicely. The finish is the best part and is also where this pumpkin ale takes the crown to all the rest. Pie filling, pie crust, seasonal pumpkin spice. All that's missing is the whip cream (not really, that would be nasty). If anyone reading this hasn't figured out my overall score you should prob read this again. 5...5....5!!!! A superb fall/seasonal beer.

I'm not sure what the brothers were thinking on this one..ha.

Nobi Public House in Webster, Texas hosted a special event yesterday and brought this out. I made time to be there to try it and a couple of other hard to get brews.

This one was easily my favorite. WOW!

I wasn't sure if I'd like having a pumpkin ale in the spring, but I'd drink this one year round. What a treat.

The smell and taste are just perfect on this beer. I love Saint Arnold Pumpkinator... and I feel this beer even leaves it behind in the pumpkin category.. though they are quite different to look at and taste even.

Overall scale of deliciousness.... EXTREMELY DELICIOUS!

So glad Southern Tier is now available in Texas!

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company