Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,811 | Hads: 6,859

There are no words to express the perfection of this brew, but I will try. As soon as you pour this brew, you are delighted with the aroma and colour it has as it hits the side of your goblet from the bottle and the smooth head holds nice lacing and has very beautiful retention. You take a whiff. This is pure delight. Autumn has sprung! This is fresh pumpkin pie with whipped cream on top. Nothing is overdone here. The spices are perfect, the colour is perfect, and the head is beautiful. The only test left now is the taste. As this liquid hit my lips, my eyes rolled back in pure ecstacy. The mouthfeel is cream and the taste is superb. This is pure thanksgiving that you remember as a child. This is your grandmothers pumpkin pie served to you on your favorite plate as you gazed out the window at the changing coloured leaves while simultaniously opening your first christmas gift.

I first experienced the pumking 3 years ago, and I have tried over 70 pumpkin beers since then. No pumpkin beer compares to the Pumking.

ALL HAIL THE KING! (1,048 characters)

Poured deep orange with 1/2 thick head that lightly dissipated. S:rich pumpkin pie crust with cinnamon and nutmeg. T: almost spot on with how it smells; pumpkin pie crust with hints of cinnamon, nutmeg and slight hints of allspice. I have to admit, I'm a fan of the sweeter craft seasonal beers, and this is one of them. Best pumpkin beer I've had to date. Absolutely amazing. (376 characters)

This beer is amazing. Smells delicious, pretty much like sweet pumpkin. Taste follows the nose, absolutely delicious and smooth. For 8.6% alcohol, you cant taste it at all which makes this my new favorite beer. I HIGHLY recommend trying it to anyone. (250 characters)

I just love this beer! I bought 2 cases of it at $6.99 per a bottle. It's a hard beer to find. When they sell it at Whole Foods you have to request it because it's not on the shelves and they only allow 1 bottle per person per day. They sell it at Churchkey for $18 a bottle. This beer smells amazing. Smells like vanilla pumpkin. Tastes like vanilla pumpkin without all those spices like nutmeg and cinnamon that can be overpowering. It's smooth. This is my fav beer of all time so far. (487 characters)

I love pumpkin beers and this one took the cake. As soon as you hold it up to drink it the smell of fall goodness is right there! I have tried many different ones and this is hands down my fav. Southern Tier is one of my favorite brewery's. I just recently found them and have liked everything i have tried. I'm not sure how I missed them! (339 characters)

I was a little dissapointed when i saw that the ABV percentage got knocked down again...im pretty sure 3 years ago it was 10%.

But either way at 8.6 it is still rather boozy.

All in all this is the most gorgeous smelling and tasting beer on the market if youre going for pumpkin or sweet. There is no argument that this is the best pumpkin beer on the market.

I consider myself a Pumking advocate, ive introduced countless friends to this brew and everyone freaks out everytime.

It's like drinking a boozy slice of pumpkin pie! (532 characters)

This beer is my favorite! I think I have consumed 2 cases of this beer all by myself. It's a hard beer to find. When they sell it at Whole Foods you have to request it because it's not on the shelves and they only allow 1 bottle per person per day. This beer smells amazing! It smells like vanilla pumpkin. It tastes like vanilla pumpkin without all those spices like nutmeg and cinnamon that can be overpowering. It's smooth. Just amazing! (440 characters)

Bought this on clearance at a local shop for $3, saw good reviews so I figured I would give it a shot.

Poured into an Ommeggang beer glass.

A: Poured right out of the fridge and into the glass. Pours a gorgeous golden color with a hint of orange to it. A medium sized head, and just all around gorgeous.

S: Smell is ungodly. Smells exactly like a pumpkin pie, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. It is an amazing smell, likely one of the best smelling beers I have ever come across. Instantly filled the air with this aroma. Almost worth buying solely for the smell.

T: Taste is amazing, tastes just as it smells. It is like astronaut food haha, tastes exactly like pumpkin pie. One of the few beers that the taste matches the aroma. Well done.

M: Very smooth and great mouthfeel. Am usually not a huge fan of pumpkin beers, but this one has completely changed my mind.

O: Amazing aroma, great taste, and just an overall well well done beer. I will rarely give a beer a 5.0 but this is one beer that I feel is quite deserving of it. (1,026 characters)

Poured into a duvel at brouwers in seattle.

Appearance- Beautiful orange color with a finger of Whipped cream colored head. Leaving layers of head as you sip it down

Smell- pumkin pie with a hint of maple, nutmeg, cloves and allspice

Tatse- very forward with pumkin with subtle notes of maple, cloves and nutmeg.

Mouth- very smooth, creamy and full bodied

Overall this is a great beer, have with dessert or just for dessert Goes down almost to good. (454 characters)

By far the best pumpkin beer I have ever had. The only disappointment is they do not brew this beer year round. But I guess that is what makes it even more exceptional. This beer never last long when ever it is tap so do not hesitate get one when ever you can. (260 characters)

By far my favorite fall brew. I've tried gallons of other pumpkin brews however, STBC has mastered this one. Aroma. Appearance. Body. Consistency and taste. BAM!!!! (164 characters)

Special thanks to Dan from Buy Rite on Oak Tree in South Plainfield for busting out this 2007 vintage 22 ounce bottle...
After samping dozens of pumpkin ales, hands down, I must conclude that this is the best one, and most realisitc depiction of true pumpkin flavors...
Pours a bright-orange, light-copper hue with a minimal head that left plenty of lacing around the serving glass...
One whiff, and whoa - this is the real deal... the aroma and taste are so authentically pumpkin, - its amazing... No other pumpkin ale comes close to representing a true-to-the-flavor and style pumpkin pie...
Malts, custard, cream, hops, caramel, and various other spices contribute to an all-around amazing variation of the style...
Some of the ingredients listed on the side of the bottle include "caramel malt" and "pureed pumpkin"...
Great mouthfeel, and perhaps one of the best features about this beer was the fact that despite the hefty 9% ABV, no alcohol was detected at all - just real pumpkin flavor...
Outstanding stuff... This one is in a class of its own...
Definitely recommended... (1,082 characters)

A - Pours an clear orange color, with a minimal 1/2 finger off white head. I have brewed beers like this and I have no idea how they get it so clear with all of the pumpkin and spice that must go in there.

S - Smells of spice, clove, ginger, and pumpkin pie.

T - The taste is a lot like the smell. There are a lot of flavors going on, from clove, to all spice, to ginger... and of course pumpkin. The alcohol, even at 8.6% is non-existent. A joy to drink

M - The mouth feel is medium / heavy. There is a slight sweetness that coats your mouth too.

O - This is hands down my favorite pumpkin beer. It's rare that any beer can have this many flavors going on without anything being overwhelming. Stock up, because in a month or 2 you are going to want another and it'll be gone... (782 characters)

A: 5/5 Poured from a 22oz bottle into a frosted 22oz mug. Winter is coming and I'm ready for some pumpkin!!! The beer is bright with a creamy head.

S: 5/5 Cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, pumpkin, caramel, brown butter, walnuts, gram cracker and the crispness of autumn. What more could you possibly ask for???!

T: 5/5 All the pumpkin spice in the world and the booze gives it a rum quality. Fantastic!

M: 5/5 Creamy like pumpkin pie

O: 5/5 Best pumpkin beer ever! (472 characters)

In my opinion, Pumking is hands down, the best beer in the world. If it has ever been taken into outer space, it's probably the best beer there too. And it's not just it's "pie-in-a-glass" taste.

As your glass comes toward you, you first experience the beautiful color, then the wonderful aroma and then the perfect taste. Mouth feel is good too. If you like to just enjoy 1 or 2 beers, Pumking has substantial ABV that lessens the need for multiples.

It must be tough to brew a good pumpkin ale because I have tasted so many bad ones. There are none better than Southern Tier Pumking. (587 characters)

A- clear orange and when held up to the light, unsurprisingly it's the same color as a pumpkin! Gee whiz! Beautiful ecru head holds steady, scoffing the alcohol while leaving thick rings of drippy lace. I can already tell its gonna be worth all the hype.

S- Dizzamn. One little sniff turned me out like a ho. There's something in here that I'm not used to smelling in a pumpkin ale. At first my brain said brown sugar! Aha! Brown sugar in the mix! Then I start thinkin graham crackers then honey then pie crust and then I realize that it smells remarkably similar to their creme brulee stout. So could it be vanilla that sets it over the edge? I guess we'll never know. Ok so beside all that we have cooked pumpkin, those sweet cream filled pumpkin cake cookie sandwiches (called punkin gobs round here) and trace amounts of allspice and nutmeg. I can't really admit to detecting any cinnamon but lord this smells like some sort of pumpkin breakfast cereal and its amazing. Guess I should mention the background of toasty caramel malt, slight hop earthiness and floral alcohol.

T- sweet and toasty, earthy and woodsy like the dried leaves of autumn covered in cake frosting. Cassia flavor seems to come through with nutmeg and the peppery side of allspice and of course more vanilla. Toasted marshmallow, honey, sublime citrus pith hop bitterness mingled with the right amount of floral and pineapple alcohol, with a back and forth tug of war between sweet and bitter. It's like no one can win so they say hell with it, and it ends up tasting like a cookie. Finishes like a cookie. A pumpkin sugar cookie with a sprinkle of hops.

MF- slippery and juicy with a bit of a texture to it but very tight prickly carbonation scrubs the palate clean even though the bubbles aren't aggressive. Alcohol warmth is felt in the chest and dryness in the cheeks. I'm imagining fresh squeezed pumpkin juice with some vodka and spices idk I'm weird.

D- in my neck of the woods, the only beer that created such hype was Great Lakes Xmas, but now it's available at every grocery store, bar, and drive thru. This year, pumking jumped in and suddenly everyone was asking me where to find it, if I could get it on tap, etc. It was nowhere to be found, as if all the bars with access to that particular distributor hogged up the limited supply for my area. When all hope was lost for us to even TRY it so see why it is in such demand, one of my buddies found a ridiculously decent supply at a local and very unassuming store that will for now remain nameless. Best pumpkin ale I've ever had, flat out. Whatever gives it the cookie sweet aroma and balance of flavor is what wins. 8.6 abv isn't huge, but this one is still extremely drinkable. Take me away, lord Puca. (2,751 characters)

After trying many different pumpkin ales through the years this is definitely the best ever! I was a little unsure about this 9% abv pumpkin beer but after you have one taste you know this stuff is great. The appearance looks great, the smell is amazing with the smell of hops, pumpkin, and spices. The taste is a mouthful of flavors with lingering suprises after you take a drink. The mouthfeel has a nice body but not too rich or thick and not too thin or watery, just right. For a 9% abv beer it is very easy to drink, I counldn't see having any problem sitting down and drinking a few bottles (22oz) of this stuff. It is truly the best pumpkin ale ever made and is rightfully named as the Pumking! Southern Tier once again creates a masterpiece of a beer. Can't wait to see what they have in store for the future. (817 characters)

This beer is fantastic. If you don't like pumpkin then stay away this beer is not for you. Everything about this beer is great. It's my most anticipated seasonal every year and once again ST didn't disapoint. It pours to a dark rich looking golden brown. The smell radiates for the bottle the instant you open it. The smell once poured into a goblet is even better. A thick aromatic spice smell hits you instantly. Followed by subtle vanilla. Pumpkin is in the air. It tastes like it smells. Like a little bit of heaven with the big guy himself holding the serving spade. If I had to chose one way to describe the taste it would be liquid pumpkin pie. Mouth feel is instantly sweet with very low bitterness even with the two types of hops. The two different malts balance nicely. The finish is the best part and is also where this pumpkin ale takes the crown to all the rest. Pie filling, pie crust, seasonal pumpkin spice. All that's missing is the whip cream (not really, that would be nasty). If anyone reading this hasn't figured out my overall score you should prob read this again. 5...5....5!!!! A superb fall/seasonal beer. (1,147 characters)

I'm not sure what the brothers were thinking on this one..ha.

Nobi Public House in Webster, Texas hosted a special event yesterday and brought this out. I made time to be there to try it and a couple of other hard to get brews.

This one was easily my favorite. WOW!

I wasn't sure if I'd like having a pumpkin ale in the spring, but I'd drink this one year round. What a treat.

The smell and taste are just perfect on this beer. I love Saint Arnold Pumpkinator... and I feel this beer even leaves it behind in the pumpkin category.. though they are quite different to look at and taste even.

Overall scale of deliciousness.... EXTREMELY DELICIOUS!

So glad Southern Tier is now available in Texas! (702 characters)

Let me sum this up - easily one of my new top few favorite beers. Anyway....Got this 22oz bomber at my job for $5, but it's standard $7.99 in New Jersey. Poured into a standard household 16oz glass. Basically room temp, maybe 50 degrees (honestly I could picture this beer being good heated up...just sayin')

Appearance- Orange/copper and super transparent. Head was made of oddly larger bubbles and head dies down quick, but can make a comeback when swirled. Not much lacing, but enough to let you know it's alive.

Smell- smells like Fall. Very bold pumpkin and a little spice. As far as hops go, I think they left them somewhat out of the question. (a little for preserving, i'm sure) tiny bit of alcohol, but extremely pleasant.

Taste- Out Of This World. Very bold beer with lots of pumpkin. Literally during a sip it transitions from, "ok, I get a lot of pumpkin" to Wham! more bold pumpkin, spice, well rounded alcohol, and overall autumn-y goodness. The aftertaste has a nutmeg, clove, and a modest amount of potpourri. Well distinguished flavors and a well tamed alcohol. It's like drinking pumpkin pie.

Mouthfeel- somewhat thick, with a mild sweetness. has a thick backbone to it on the finish.

Overall- If you see this and don't know if you want to spend the money...do it. That's my only beef with it is the price (case of 12, 22oz'ers in NJ is $90, $7.99 a pop) However, completely raises the bar for fall beers. It seems every other fall seasonal is just mediocre at best and I haven't fallen in love with any until this.

This would totally be sessionable if it weren't so high in ABV, but i'm a one or two strong beer per night drinker so I will no doubt be buying more. (1,689 characters)

I have tried at least 15 different pumpkin ales and this one is by far the best. Tastes like pumpkin pie with whipped cream in a bottle but yet still tastes like beer and is 8.6%. I was blown away at how smooth and creamy this beer was. It is quite pricey at $9 for a 22 oz bottle but if you are a fan of pumpkin beers, it is worth every penny. (344 characters)

This is by far my favorite beer that I have tasted. The Pumking is the perfect drink during the fall with great pumpkin, cinnamon, and vanilla flavors. Great to have with dinner or just having a casual drink. I can't wait until this is on tap again! (249 characters)

As the guy in the liquor store promised, this brew tastes like pumpkin pie in a bottle-with a really mellow aftertaste.
Split with my son (we were doing our own tastings) and it was by bar both of our #1 of the evening.
I am planning to stock up on this for the holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, if I"m lucky may last until Christmas/NY :) (340 characters)

Oh my god, this is by far the best pumpkin beer I've tried so far. There are a lot of negative comments but I think it is delicious. When people said its liquid pumpkin pie I was skeptical but boy was I wrong.
A- golden orange body with white head, very good looking in my belgian snifter.

S- smells just like pumpkin pie! Graham cracker pie crust, Cinnamon, nutmeg, and scrumptious pumpkin. Smells so good.

T- oh my god, so good. Pumpkin pie spices, graham cracker, some vanilla sweetness and an awesome sweet after taste.

M- mouthfeel is almost creamy, coating the palate. Decent amount of carbonation.

O- despite all the negative feedback, now that I've actually tried it, I'm hooked. Its such a good desert beer, I hope my beer store still has some bottles cause I need a few in the cellar and in my fridge. 5 out of 5 with no doubt. (843 characters)

Poured from a 650 ml bottle... @ room temperature...

Appearance: A nice copper color with very little carbonation, much like a draught beer.

Smell: As 'Steigede' mentioned, pumking smells like 'Eggnog'...

Taste: Nutmeg, Cinnamon... 'followed by'... a strong taste of Malt, Hopps and Alcohol.

Mouthfeel: pumking enters your mouth with a feel of any other beer and then suddenly, you experience an explosion of creaminess. As you start to swallow pumking, the creamy feel is overtaken by seasonal flavor of Nutmeg, CInnamon and Pumpkin...

Overall: I'll give and overall score of 5.0. Kudos to 'SOuTHERn TIER' for an AWESOME 'Seasonal' (Halloween / Christmas) alcoholic beverage... Definitely worth a try!!!

Note: Absolutely love the pumking bottle label... WICKED!!! :P (774 characters)

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company