2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 08-26-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,706 | Reviews: 1,669 | Show All Ratings:
ABCBeer

After trying many different pumpkin ales through the years this is definitely the best ever! I was a little unsure about this 9% abv pumpkin beer but after you have one taste you know this stuff is great. The appearance looks great, the smell is amazing with the smell of hops, pumpkin, and spices. The taste is a mouthful of flavors with lingering suprises after you take a drink. The mouthfeel has a nice body but not too rich or thick and not too thin or watery, just right. For a 9% abv beer it is very easy to drink, I counldn't see having any problem sitting down and drinking a few bottles (22oz) of this stuff. It is truly the best pumpkin ale ever made and is rightfully named as the Pumking! Southern Tier once again creates a masterpiece of a beer. Can't wait to see what they have in store for the future.

10-12-2007 03:06:03 | More by ABCBeer
dsa7783

Special thanks to Dan from Buy Rite on Oak Tree in South Plainfield for busting out this 2007 vintage 22 ounce bottle...
After samping dozens of pumpkin ales, hands down, I must conclude that this is the best one, and most realisitc depiction of true pumpkin flavors...
Pours a bright-orange, light-copper hue with a minimal head that left plenty of lacing around the serving glass...
One whiff, and whoa - this is the real deal... the aroma and taste are so authentically pumpkin, - its amazing... No other pumpkin ale comes close to representing a true-to-the-flavor and style pumpkin pie...
Malts, custard, cream, hops, caramel, and various other spices contribute to an all-around amazing variation of the style...
Some of the ingredients listed on the side of the bottle include "caramel malt" and "pureed pumpkin"...
Great mouthfeel, and perhaps one of the best features about this beer was the fact that despite the hefty 9% ABV, no alcohol was detected at all - just real pumpkin flavor...
Outstanding stuff... This one is in a class of its own...
Definitely recommended...

05-13-2008 11:10:30 | More by dsa7783
steelcutoats

Pumking beer review

I love seasonal beers, be they in the spring, summer, fall or winter, but this by far is my most favorite seasonal beer. I have tried many of pumpkin beers, all of them unique and enjoyable, but this is deserving of the title of "King of Pumpkin Beers". I've had this remarkable brew several times, and finally brought a bottle home to review. First off, this beer is amazing...it really smells and tastes just like a slice of pumpkin pie. There is an opaque creamy head when first poured into the tasting snifter. The color is a crystal clear orange, absolutely clear of any haze or sediment. The aroma is absolutely heavenly, with a mix of cinnamon, cloves and of course pumpkins. The taste is, well, you better get off your ass and find a bottle of this extraordinary ale before it's all gone.

09-08-2008 00:38:04 | More by steelcutoats
JMastrangelo

I know all 5's should be rare. But to me, this is the pinnacle of Pumpkin Beers. I will never attempt to brew one, because I really think I can't do better than theirs.

A- Unobtrusive amber coloring. As expected

S- Amazing. This smells like pumpkin pie. Even though this is cold, it's still wafting the flavors I'd expect of WARM pumpkin pie.

T- Even more amazing. It TASTES like pumpkin pie. The spices are spot on for anyone's grandmother's recipe. It has a thicker, more syrupy consistency, typical in my experience to Imperials, so it's definitely best served chilled. But it's not too overpoweringly syrupy, so no reason to freeze the flavor out. Slightly chilled should suffice, to fully experience the beer.

M- Carbonated with a touch of syrupy imperial goodness

D- As with most Imperials, it's a one and done deal for me, they quickly can turn on you. But you can kill a whole bottle of this and feel satisfied at the end of the bottle, not choking down the last drops because it's starting to get overpowering.

Between this and their Creme Brulee, Southern Tier is a personal favorite brewer. Love it.

10-02-2010 16:03:58 | More by JMastrangelo
adam32386

From beginning to end this beer is by far the best pumpkin flavored beverage i've ever had. Shipyard pumpkin ale is great too, but Pumking blows it out of the water. This beer is not too heavy, it's a perfect size to drink at an event. The only bad thing about it is that it might lose it's chill after holding on to it for a while, but so does any large beer of the same container.

08-07-2011 18:26:46 | More by adam32386
Roguejaguar

This beer changed my feelings about pumpkin beer. The aroma of cinnamon and spices was so pleasing, but the taste was even more wonderful. I've tried many pumpkin beers out of sheer curiosity, but this was by far the best with a full well balanced taste of pumpkin, and spices.

Most of the other pumpkin beers tasted seemed to taste mostly like beer with a hint of pumpkin or spice. This felt like it delivered, and certainly lives up to its name as the Pumking.

09-01-2011 02:11:01 | More by Roguejaguar
reppinthe847

Truly, this is one of the best pumpkin ales of all time. If you're really in a mood to travel to pumpkinland this is arguably the #1 choice. I'd rate Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale at a close #2 (easier to casually down 1 or 2 of those whereas this you really need to be in the zone to take on a Pumking bomber). Punkin Ale edges out Pumking in the spice department, but Pumking takes the cake in true pumpkin pie flavor. I've had the opportunity to try several other pumpkin ales already this fall, and all were fairly decent (Smuttynose's offering probably being the best out of that batch). Where do I start with Pumking? This is not for the fainthearted first of all. This is a thick, strong concoction that will leave you feeling like you just devoured the tastiest pumpkin pie of all time. It has a good balance of spices and a thick layer of caramel. The pumpkin taste is perfect and the ABV on this bomber is 8.6% so you WILL be buzzed if you are a lightweight. Drink responsibly. The guy that orders for my area in metro Chicago failed to order these last year and I had to order them (at a high price) from a couple stores out East. This time they are not playing around, and DiCarlo's up in Mundelein managed to get like 20 cases. Let's send Southern Tier a message that this is a hit (much like Punkin Ale), and have them ship more of these bad boys out here ASAP! Cheers to all, and may you all enjoy this wonderful fall season, arguably the best time of year for beer aficionados.

09-11-2011 06:14:25 | More by reppinthe847
FLOglida

I was a little dissapointed when i saw that the ABV percentage got knocked down again...im pretty sure 3 years ago it was 10%.

But either way at 8.6 it is still rather boozy.

All in all this is the most gorgeous smelling and tasting beer on the market if youre going for pumpkin or sweet. There is no argument that this is the best pumpkin beer on the market.

I consider myself a Pumking advocate, ive introduced countless friends to this brew and everyone freaks out everytime.

It's like drinking a boozy slice of pumpkin pie!

09-27-2011 15:29:23 | More by FLOglida
keysofebony

Let me sum this up - easily one of my new top few favorite beers. Anyway....Got this 22oz bomber at my job for $5, but it's standard $7.99 in New Jersey. Poured into a standard household 16oz glass. Basically room temp, maybe 50 degrees (honestly I could picture this beer being good heated up...just sayin')

Appearance- Orange/copper and super transparent. Head was made of oddly larger bubbles and head dies down quick, but can make a comeback when swirled. Not much lacing, but enough to let you know it's alive.

Smell- smells like Fall. Very bold pumpkin and a little spice. As far as hops go, I think they left them somewhat out of the question. (a little for preserving, i'm sure) tiny bit of alcohol, but extremely pleasant.

Taste- Out Of This World. Very bold beer with lots of pumpkin. Literally during a sip it transitions from, "ok, I get a lot of pumpkin" to Wham! more bold pumpkin, spice, well rounded alcohol, and overall autumn-y goodness. The aftertaste has a nutmeg, clove, and a modest amount of potpourri. Well distinguished flavors and a well tamed alcohol. It's like drinking pumpkin pie.

Mouthfeel- somewhat thick, with a mild sweetness. has a thick backbone to it on the finish.

Overall- If you see this and don't know if you want to spend the money...do it. That's my only beef with it is the price (case of 12, 22oz'ers in NJ is $90, $7.99 a pop) However, completely raises the bar for fall beers. It seems every other fall seasonal is just mediocre at best and I haven't fallen in love with any until this.

This would totally be sessionable if it weren't so high in ABV, but i'm a one or two strong beer per night drinker so I will no doubt be buying more.

10-01-2011 04:22:41 | More by keysofebony
long4hops

Washington

Poured into a duvel at brouwers in seattle.

Appearance- Beautiful orange color with a finger of Whipped cream colored head. Leaving layers of head as you sip it down

Smell- pumkin pie with a hint of maple, nutmeg, cloves and allspice

Tatse- very forward with pumkin with subtle notes of maple, cloves and nutmeg.

Mouth- very smooth, creamy and full bodied

Overall this is a great beer, have with dessert or just for dessert Goes down almost to good.

11-21-2011 06:47:33 | More by long4hops
Kmccabe33

Georgia

Bought this on clearance at a local shop for $3, saw good reviews so I figured I would give it a shot.

Poured into an Ommeggang beer glass.

A: Poured right out of the fridge and into the glass. Pours a gorgeous golden color with a hint of orange to it. A medium sized head, and just all around gorgeous.

S: Smell is ungodly. Smells exactly like a pumpkin pie, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. It is an amazing smell, likely one of the best smelling beers I have ever come across. Instantly filled the air with this aroma. Almost worth buying solely for the smell.

T: Taste is amazing, tastes just as it smells. It is like astronaut food haha, tastes exactly like pumpkin pie. One of the few beers that the taste matches the aroma. Well done.

M: Very smooth and great mouthfeel. Am usually not a huge fan of pumpkin beers, but this one has completely changed my mind.

O: Amazing aroma, great taste, and just an overall well well done beer. I will rarely give a beer a 5.0 but this is one beer that I feel is quite deserving of it.

01-11-2012 22:51:48 | More by Kmccabe33
TronDave

Pumking is such a tasty beer. The spices added only enhance the flavor and make it truly a unique brew. I'm not sure why this isint rated higher, becuase it's the best one out there. Not to mention Southern Tier refines it every year and makes it better, Pour it into a tall stein and enjoy!

08-16-2012 19:29:19 | More by TronDave
Wolfee02

I made it a goal to try as many pumpkin ales as I could last year. I got around to trying about 10 of them and this beer was the best of them all! I am starting my BA career by reviewing my two favorite beers ever GL Christmas Ale and Southern Tier Pumking. I was excited to pick up a growler of this and yes it is August and I hope to have this world class pumpkin ale while sitting by the fire in October. The appearance is orange with kind of a brown tint. It smells like pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving day while watching the Lions! I get a scent of sweet cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin. This world class brew tastes Exactly like it smells. It is the most flavorful pumpkin ale I have tried. It is smooth, sweet, majestic and not bitter at all! I recommend this for anyone who wants to try an amazing fall seasonal beer! It is truly one of a kind. I look forward to trying more Southern Tier beers! At 8.6 % it warms you up on a cool fall night.

Serving type: growler

08-28-2012 08:17:49 | More by Wolfee02
cnbrown313

A - Pours an clear orange color, with a minimal 1/2 finger off white head. I have brewed beers like this and I have no idea how they get it so clear with all of the pumpkin and spice that must go in there.

S - Smells of spice, clove, ginger, and pumpkin pie.

T - The taste is a lot like the smell. There are a lot of flavors going on, from clove, to all spice, to ginger... and of course pumpkin. The alcohol, even at 8.6% is non-existent. A joy to drink

M - The mouth feel is medium / heavy. There is a slight sweetness that coats your mouth too.

O - This is hands down my favorite pumpkin beer. It's rare that any beer can have this many flavors going on without anything being overwhelming. Stock up, because in a month or 2 you are going to want another and it'll be gone...

08-28-2012 14:47:42 | More by cnbrown313
Manimal75

Wow, if you like pumkin pie, try this...What a great fall beer to warm the pallet and watch a game! This is one of my favorite seasonal beers to bring in Hallow's eve, if you get a chance it's a must have! It's hard to find so good luck it sells out before you can tell your friends.

09-25-2012 21:50:02 | More by Manimal75
Grandpa_Bambu

Ontario (Canada)

Poured from a 650 ml bottle... @ room temperature...

Appearance: A nice copper color with very little carbonation, much like a draught beer.

Smell: As 'Steigede' mentioned, pumking smells like 'Eggnog'...

Taste: Nutmeg, Cinnamon... 'followed by'... a strong taste of Malt, Hopps and Alcohol.

Mouthfeel: pumking enters your mouth with a feel of any other beer and then suddenly, you experience an explosion of creaminess. As you start to swallow pumking, the creamy feel is overtaken by seasonal flavor of Nutmeg, CInnamon and Pumpkin...

Overall: I'll give and overall score of 5.0. Kudos to 'SOuTHERn TIER' for an AWESOME 'Seasonal' (Halloween / Christmas) alcoholic beverage... Definitely worth a try!!!

Note: Absolutely love the pumking bottle label... WICKED!!! :P

09-28-2012 16:15:14 | More by Grandpa_Bambu
TheHopHeadGirl

District of Columbia

I just love this beer! I bought 2 cases of it at $6.99 per a bottle. It's a hard beer to find. When they sell it at Whole Foods you have to request it because it's not on the shelves and they only allow 1 bottle per person per day. They sell it at Churchkey for $18 a bottle. This beer smells amazing. Smells like vanilla pumpkin. Tastes like vanilla pumpkin without all those spices like nutmeg and cinnamon that can be overpowering. It's smooth. This is my fav beer of all time so far.

10-05-2012 17:39:37 | More by TheHopHeadGirl
daveraz

Maryland

By far the best pumpkin beer I have ever had. The only disappointment is they do not brew this beer year round. But I guess that is what makes it even more exceptional. This beer never last long when ever it is tap so do not hesitate get one when ever you can.

10-07-2012 01:01:55 | More by daveraz
anniemick

As the guy in the liquor store promised, this brew tastes like pumpkin pie in a bottle-with a really mellow aftertaste.
Split with my son (we were doing our own tastings) and it was by bar both of our #1 of the evening.
I am planning to stock up on this for the holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, if I"m lucky may last until Christmas/NY :)

10-10-2012 03:28:21 | More by anniemick
hustlesworth

A- clear orange and when held up to the light, unsurprisingly it's the same color as a pumpkin! Gee whiz! Beautiful ecru head holds steady, scoffing the alcohol while leaving thick rings of drippy lace. I can already tell its gonna be worth all the hype.

S- Dizzamn. One little sniff turned me out like a ho. There's something in here that I'm not used to smelling in a pumpkin ale. At first my brain said brown sugar! Aha! Brown sugar in the mix! Then I start thinkin graham crackers then honey then pie crust and then I realize that it smells remarkably similar to their creme brulee stout. So could it be vanilla that sets it over the edge? I guess we'll never know. Ok so beside all that we have cooked pumpkin, those sweet cream filled pumpkin cake cookie sandwiches (called punkin gobs round here) and trace amounts of allspice and nutmeg. I can't really admit to detecting any cinnamon but lord this smells like some sort of pumpkin breakfast cereal and its amazing. Guess I should mention the background of toasty caramel malt, slight hop earthiness and floral alcohol.

T- sweet and toasty, earthy and woodsy like the dried leaves of autumn covered in cake frosting. Cassia flavor seems to come through with nutmeg and the peppery side of allspice and of course more vanilla. Toasted marshmallow, honey, sublime citrus pith hop bitterness mingled with the right amount of floral and pineapple alcohol, with a back and forth tug of war between sweet and bitter. It's like no one can win so they say hell with it, and it ends up tasting like a cookie. Finishes like a cookie. A pumpkin sugar cookie with a sprinkle of hops.

MF- slippery and juicy with a bit of a texture to it but very tight prickly carbonation scrubs the palate clean even though the bubbles aren't aggressive. Alcohol warmth is felt in the chest and dryness in the cheeks. I'm imagining fresh squeezed pumpkin juice with some vodka and spices idk I'm weird.

D- in my neck of the woods, the only beer that created such hype was Great Lakes Xmas, but now it's available at every grocery store, bar, and drive thru. This year, pumking jumped in and suddenly everyone was asking me where to find it, if I could get it on tap, etc. It was nowhere to be found, as if all the bars with access to that particular distributor hogged up the limited supply for my area. When all hope was lost for us to even TRY it so see why it is in such demand, one of my buddies found a ridiculously decent supply at a local and very unassuming store that will for now remain nameless. Best pumpkin ale I've ever had, flat out. Whatever gives it the cookie sweet aroma and balance of flavor is what wins. 8.6 abv isn't huge, but this one is still extremely drinkable. Take me away, lord Puca.

10-16-2012 03:19:28 | More by hustlesworth
CleJB

I have tried at least 15 different pumpkin ales and this one is by far the best. Tastes like pumpkin pie with whipped cream in a bottle but yet still tastes like beer and is 8.6%. I was blown away at how smooth and creamy this beer was. It is quite pricey at $9 for a 22 oz bottle but if you are a fan of pumpkin beers, it is worth every penny.

10-20-2012 00:10:50 | More by CleJB
jacwomyn

District of Columbia

This beer is my favorite! I think I have consumed 2 cases of this beer all by myself. It's a hard beer to find. When they sell it at Whole Foods you have to request it because it's not on the shelves and they only allow 1 bottle per person per day. This beer smells amazing! It smells like vanilla pumpkin. It tastes like vanilla pumpkin without all those spices like nutmeg and cinnamon that can be overpowering. It's smooth. Just amazing!

10-27-2012 19:58:19 | More by jacwomyn
Razr86

This beer is amazing. Smells delicious, pretty much like sweet pumpkin. Taste follows the nose, absolutely delicious and smooth. For 8.6% alcohol, you cant taste it at all which makes this my new favorite beer. I HIGHLY recommend trying it to anyone.

11-09-2012 02:17:34 | More by Razr86
Ford

I'm not sure what the brothers were thinking on this one..ha.

Nobi Public House in Webster, Texas hosted a special event yesterday and brought this out. I made time to be there to try it and a couple of other hard to get brews.

This one was easily my favorite. WOW!

I wasn't sure if I'd like having a pumpkin ale in the spring, but I'd drink this one year round. What a treat.

The smell and taste are just perfect on this beer. I love Saint Arnold Pumpkinator... and I feel this beer even leaves it behind in the pumpkin category.. though they are quite different to look at and taste even.

Overall scale of deliciousness.... EXTREMELY DELICIOUS!

So glad Southern Tier is now available in Texas!

04-21-2013 13:34:35 | More by Ford
righteousbucks

Georgia

This is by far my favorite beer that I have tasted. The Pumking is the perfect drink during the fall with great pumpkin, cinnamon, and vanilla flavors. Great to have with dinner or just having a casual drink. I can't wait until this is on tap again!

06-11-2013 00:01:08 | More by righteousbucks