Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,811 | Hads: 6,861

By far my favorite fall brew. I've tried gallons of other pumpkin brews however, STBC has mastered this one. Aroma. Appearance. Body. Consistency and taste. BAM!!!! (164 characters)

Special thanks to Dan from Buy Rite on Oak Tree in South Plainfield for busting out this 2007 vintage 22 ounce bottle...
After samping dozens of pumpkin ales, hands down, I must conclude that this is the best one, and most realisitc depiction of true pumpkin flavors...
Pours a bright-orange, light-copper hue with a minimal head that left plenty of lacing around the serving glass...
One whiff, and whoa - this is the real deal... the aroma and taste are so authentically pumpkin, - its amazing... No other pumpkin ale comes close to representing a true-to-the-flavor and style pumpkin pie...
Malts, custard, cream, hops, caramel, and various other spices contribute to an all-around amazing variation of the style...
Some of the ingredients listed on the side of the bottle include "caramel malt" and "pureed pumpkin"...
Great mouthfeel, and perhaps one of the best features about this beer was the fact that despite the hefty 9% ABV, no alcohol was detected at all - just real pumpkin flavor...
Outstanding stuff... This one is in a class of its own...
Definitely recommended... (1,082 characters)

A - Pours an clear orange color, with a minimal 1/2 finger off white head. I have brewed beers like this and I have no idea how they get it so clear with all of the pumpkin and spice that must go in there.

S - Smells of spice, clove, ginger, and pumpkin pie.

T - The taste is a lot like the smell. There are a lot of flavors going on, from clove, to all spice, to ginger... and of course pumpkin. The alcohol, even at 8.6% is non-existent. A joy to drink

M - The mouth feel is medium / heavy. There is a slight sweetness that coats your mouth too.

O - This is hands down my favorite pumpkin beer. It's rare that any beer can have this many flavors going on without anything being overwhelming. Stock up, because in a month or 2 you are going to want another and it'll be gone... (782 characters)

A: 5/5 Poured from a 22oz bottle into a frosted 22oz mug. Winter is coming and I'm ready for some pumpkin!!! The beer is bright with a creamy head.

S: 5/5 Cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, pumpkin, caramel, brown butter, walnuts, gram cracker and the crispness of autumn. What more could you possibly ask for???!

T: 5/5 All the pumpkin spice in the world and the booze gives it a rum quality. Fantastic!

M: 5/5 Creamy like pumpkin pie

O: 5/5 Best pumpkin beer ever! (472 characters)

In my opinion, Pumking is hands down, the best beer in the world. If it has ever been taken into outer space, it's probably the best beer there too. And it's not just it's "pie-in-a-glass" taste.

As your glass comes toward you, you first experience the beautiful color, then the wonderful aroma and then the perfect taste. Mouth feel is good too. If you like to just enjoy 1 or 2 beers, Pumking has substantial ABV that lessens the need for multiples.

It must be tough to brew a good pumpkin ale because I have tasted so many bad ones. There are none better than Southern Tier Pumking. (587 characters)

A- clear orange and when held up to the light, unsurprisingly it's the same color as a pumpkin! Gee whiz! Beautiful ecru head holds steady, scoffing the alcohol while leaving thick rings of drippy lace. I can already tell its gonna be worth all the hype.

S- Dizzamn. One little sniff turned me out like a ho. There's something in here that I'm not used to smelling in a pumpkin ale. At first my brain said brown sugar! Aha! Brown sugar in the mix! Then I start thinkin graham crackers then honey then pie crust and then I realize that it smells remarkably similar to their creme brulee stout. So could it be vanilla that sets it over the edge? I guess we'll never know. Ok so beside all that we have cooked pumpkin, those sweet cream filled pumpkin cake cookie sandwiches (called punkin gobs round here) and trace amounts of allspice and nutmeg. I can't really admit to detecting any cinnamon but lord this smells like some sort of pumpkin breakfast cereal and its amazing. Guess I should mention the background of toasty caramel malt, slight hop earthiness and floral alcohol.

T- sweet and toasty, earthy and woodsy like the dried leaves of autumn covered in cake frosting. Cassia flavor seems to come through with nutmeg and the peppery side of allspice and of course more vanilla. Toasted marshmallow, honey, sublime citrus pith hop bitterness mingled with the right amount of floral and pineapple alcohol, with a back and forth tug of war between sweet and bitter. It's like no one can win so they say hell with it, and it ends up tasting like a cookie. Finishes like a cookie. A pumpkin sugar cookie with a sprinkle of hops.

MF- slippery and juicy with a bit of a texture to it but very tight prickly carbonation scrubs the palate clean even though the bubbles aren't aggressive. Alcohol warmth is felt in the chest and dryness in the cheeks. I'm imagining fresh squeezed pumpkin juice with some vodka and spices idk I'm weird.

D- in my neck of the woods, the only beer that created such hype was Great Lakes Xmas, but now it's available at every grocery store, bar, and drive thru. This year, pumking jumped in and suddenly everyone was asking me where to find it, if I could get it on tap, etc. It was nowhere to be found, as if all the bars with access to that particular distributor hogged up the limited supply for my area. When all hope was lost for us to even TRY it so see why it is in such demand, one of my buddies found a ridiculously decent supply at a local and very unassuming store that will for now remain nameless. Best pumpkin ale I've ever had, flat out. Whatever gives it the cookie sweet aroma and balance of flavor is what wins. 8.6 abv isn't huge, but this one is still extremely drinkable. Take me away, lord Puca. (2,751 characters)

After trying many different pumpkin ales through the years this is definitely the best ever! I was a little unsure about this 9% abv pumpkin beer but after you have one taste you know this stuff is great. The appearance looks great, the smell is amazing with the smell of hops, pumpkin, and spices. The taste is a mouthful of flavors with lingering suprises after you take a drink. The mouthfeel has a nice body but not too rich or thick and not too thin or watery, just right. For a 9% abv beer it is very easy to drink, I counldn't see having any problem sitting down and drinking a few bottles (22oz) of this stuff. It is truly the best pumpkin ale ever made and is rightfully named as the Pumking! Southern Tier once again creates a masterpiece of a beer. Can't wait to see what they have in store for the future. (817 characters)

This beer is fantastic. If you don't like pumpkin then stay away this beer is not for you. Everything about this beer is great. It's my most anticipated seasonal every year and once again ST didn't disapoint. It pours to a dark rich looking golden brown. The smell radiates for the bottle the instant you open it. The smell once poured into a goblet is even better. A thick aromatic spice smell hits you instantly. Followed by subtle vanilla. Pumpkin is in the air. It tastes like it smells. Like a little bit of heaven with the big guy himself holding the serving spade. If I had to chose one way to describe the taste it would be liquid pumpkin pie. Mouth feel is instantly sweet with very low bitterness even with the two types of hops. The two different malts balance nicely. The finish is the best part and is also where this pumpkin ale takes the crown to all the rest. Pie filling, pie crust, seasonal pumpkin spice. All that's missing is the whip cream (not really, that would be nasty). If anyone reading this hasn't figured out my overall score you should prob read this again. 5...5....5!!!! A superb fall/seasonal beer. (1,147 characters)

I'm not sure what the brothers were thinking on this one..ha.

Nobi Public House in Webster, Texas hosted a special event yesterday and brought this out. I made time to be there to try it and a couple of other hard to get brews.

This one was easily my favorite. WOW!

I wasn't sure if I'd like having a pumpkin ale in the spring, but I'd drink this one year round. What a treat.

The smell and taste are just perfect on this beer. I love Saint Arnold Pumpkinator... and I feel this beer even leaves it behind in the pumpkin category.. though they are quite different to look at and taste even.

Overall scale of deliciousness.... EXTREMELY DELICIOUS!

So glad Southern Tier is now available in Texas! (702 characters)

Let me sum this up - easily one of my new top few favorite beers. Anyway....Got this 22oz bomber at my job for $5, but it's standard $7.99 in New Jersey. Poured into a standard household 16oz glass. Basically room temp, maybe 50 degrees (honestly I could picture this beer being good heated up...just sayin')

Appearance- Orange/copper and super transparent. Head was made of oddly larger bubbles and head dies down quick, but can make a comeback when swirled. Not much lacing, but enough to let you know it's alive.

Smell- smells like Fall. Very bold pumpkin and a little spice. As far as hops go, I think they left them somewhat out of the question. (a little for preserving, i'm sure) tiny bit of alcohol, but extremely pleasant.

Taste- Out Of This World. Very bold beer with lots of pumpkin. Literally during a sip it transitions from, "ok, I get a lot of pumpkin" to Wham! more bold pumpkin, spice, well rounded alcohol, and overall autumn-y goodness. The aftertaste has a nutmeg, clove, and a modest amount of potpourri. Well distinguished flavors and a well tamed alcohol. It's like drinking pumpkin pie.

Mouthfeel- somewhat thick, with a mild sweetness. has a thick backbone to it on the finish.

Overall- If you see this and don't know if you want to spend the money...do it. That's my only beef with it is the price (case of 12, 22oz'ers in NJ is $90, $7.99 a pop) However, completely raises the bar for fall beers. It seems every other fall seasonal is just mediocre at best and I haven't fallen in love with any until this.

This would totally be sessionable if it weren't so high in ABV, but i'm a one or two strong beer per night drinker so I will no doubt be buying more. (1,689 characters)

I have tried at least 15 different pumpkin ales and this one is by far the best. Tastes like pumpkin pie with whipped cream in a bottle but yet still tastes like beer and is 8.6%. I was blown away at how smooth and creamy this beer was. It is quite pricey at $9 for a 22 oz bottle but if you are a fan of pumpkin beers, it is worth every penny. (344 characters)

This is by far my favorite beer that I have tasted. The Pumking is the perfect drink during the fall with great pumpkin, cinnamon, and vanilla flavors. Great to have with dinner or just having a casual drink. I can't wait until this is on tap again! (249 characters)

As the guy in the liquor store promised, this brew tastes like pumpkin pie in a bottle-with a really mellow aftertaste.
Split with my son (we were doing our own tastings) and it was by bar both of our #1 of the evening.
I am planning to stock up on this for the holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, if I"m lucky may last until Christmas/NY :) (340 characters)

Oh my god, this is by far the best pumpkin beer I've tried so far. There are a lot of negative comments but I think it is delicious. When people said its liquid pumpkin pie I was skeptical but boy was I wrong.
A- golden orange body with white head, very good looking in my belgian snifter.

S- smells just like pumpkin pie! Graham cracker pie crust, Cinnamon, nutmeg, and scrumptious pumpkin. Smells so good.

T- oh my god, so good. Pumpkin pie spices, graham cracker, some vanilla sweetness and an awesome sweet after taste.

M- mouthfeel is almost creamy, coating the palate. Decent amount of carbonation.

O- despite all the negative feedback, now that I've actually tried it, I'm hooked. Its such a good desert beer, I hope my beer store still has some bottles cause I need a few in the cellar and in my fridge. 5 out of 5 with no doubt. (843 characters)

Poured from a 650 ml bottle... @ room temperature...

Appearance: A nice copper color with very little carbonation, much like a draught beer.

Smell: As 'Steigede' mentioned, pumking smells like 'Eggnog'...

Taste: Nutmeg, Cinnamon... 'followed by'... a strong taste of Malt, Hopps and Alcohol.

Mouthfeel: pumking enters your mouth with a feel of any other beer and then suddenly, you experience an explosion of creaminess. As you start to swallow pumking, the creamy feel is overtaken by seasonal flavor of Nutmeg, CInnamon and Pumpkin...

Overall: I'll give and overall score of 5.0. Kudos to 'SOuTHERn TIER' for an AWESOME 'Seasonal' (Halloween / Christmas) alcoholic beverage... Definitely worth a try!!!

Note: Absolutely love the pumking bottle label... WICKED!!! :P (774 characters)

Pumking is such a tasty beer. The spices added only enhance the flavor and make it truly a unique brew. I'm not sure why this isint rated higher, becuase it's the best one out there. Not to mention Southern Tier refines it every year and makes it better, Pour it into a tall stein and enjoy! (291 characters)

This is by far my favorite beer, period. I've tried numerous pumpkin brews this previous yr and this stomps them all without question. Anyone who says this beer tastes like candy corn, do not pay attention to them! I've disliked candy corn all my life and this beer tastes nothing like it. I'll leave u with this image/taste in ur head... Are u ready? Graham cracker vanilla-flavored Wheaties. Yes Wheaties the cereal. Think about it. (434 characters)

I don't typically like pumpkin style beer but this is awesome. When people ask me what it tasted like, tell them it tastes like someone took the best pumpkin pie you've ever had topped with cinnamon and sugar whipped cream and poured it in a glass.

This is my most favorite beer. I wish it was available year round.

The alcohol content is extremely well masked. You have to keep good count of each glass you drink of this. (427 characters)

Quite simply one the best beers I've enjoyed. Very strong malt flavor throughout. It smells like the mash step of homebrewing mixed with pumpkin pie spice. The taste is full bodied with strong malt flavor with overtones of pumpkin pie. Very smooth finish for the ABV. (271 characters)

This Pumpkin Ale is by far my favorite one on the market. I'm so in love with it. I can drink two bottles in a row (over the course of two hours). I LOVE that whipped cream/pie crust flavor it carries. The traditional pumpkin pie spices are there but not too overpowering like MOST pumpkin ales (breweries that just jump on the bandwagon and care little about crafting good beer). The candied pumpkin flavor accompanied by the bitter hops merges together beautifully. I hope Southern Tier never changes their recipe. It's flawless. I purchased a whole case of this beer last week. Talk about pricy, but hey, that's how much I love it, and my book royalties covered it. :D (681 characters)

Pumking beer review

I love seasonal beers, be they in the spring, summer, fall or winter, but this by far is my most favorite seasonal beer. I have tried many of pumpkin beers, all of them unique and enjoyable, but this is deserving of the title of "King of Pumpkin Beers". I've had this remarkable brew several times, and finally brought a bottle home to review. First off, this beer is amazing...it really smells and tastes just like a slice of pumpkin pie. There is an opaque creamy head when first poured into the tasting snifter. The color is a crystal clear orange, absolutely clear of any haze or sediment. The aroma is absolutely heavenly, with a mix of cinnamon, cloves and of course pumpkins. The taste is, well, you better get off your ass and find a bottle of this extraordinary ale before it's all gone. (817 characters)

Wow, if you like pumkin pie, try this...What a great fall beer to warm the pallet and watch a game! This is one of my favorite seasonal beers to bring in Hallow's eve, if you get a chance it's a must have! It's hard to find so good luck it sells out before you can tell your friends. (283 characters)

Anyways like I was saying, Pumking is the drink of drinkers. If you like pumpkin pie, pumpkin stew, pumpkin salad, pumpkin bourbon, pumpkin eggnog, pumpkin yogurt, pumpkin pepper, pumpkin gumbo, pumpkin deep fried, pineapple pumpkin, pumpkin kabob, pumpkin and potatoes, Cajun pumpkin, pumpkin salad, pumpkin ice-cream, pumpkin gelatin, pumpkin oil, pumpkin butter, pumpkin fries, pumpkin on the barbie, pumpkin and pumpkin, this drink is for you. Always a favorite around Halloween, it's the perfect chilling drink. (516 characters)

Maybe a slightly biased review. But I do love this beer, my favorite out of everything I have had, actually. One of the few beers I get really excited to come out and that I will actively seek out. I tend to only try new things and Pumpking is definitely a huge exception. (272 characters)

I know all 5's should be rare. But to me, this is the pinnacle of Pumpkin Beers. I will never attempt to brew one, because I really think I can't do better than theirs.

A- Unobtrusive amber coloring. As expected

S- Amazing. This smells like pumpkin pie. Even though this is cold, it's still wafting the flavors I'd expect of WARM pumpkin pie.

T- Even more amazing. It TASTES like pumpkin pie. The spices are spot on for anyone's grandmother's recipe. It has a thicker, more syrupy consistency, typical in my experience to Imperials, so it's definitely best served chilled. But it's not too overpoweringly syrupy, so no reason to freeze the flavor out. Slightly chilled should suffice, to fully experience the beer.

M- Carbonated with a touch of syrupy imperial goodness

D- As with most Imperials, it's a one and done deal for me, they quickly can turn on you. But you can kill a whole bottle of this and feel satisfied at the end of the bottle, not choking down the last drops because it's starting to get overpowering.

Between this and their Creme Brulee, Southern Tier is a personal favorite brewer. Love it. (1,116 characters)

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company