Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 08-26-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
xare

1.05/5  rDev -74.1%

Poured as an orange colored liquid with a thin white filmy head - didn't impress me very much, if at all.

Smell was cloyingly sweet - lots of pumpkin spices and some sort of "candy" aroma. Didn't have a good feeling about this one.

Taste was extremely cloyingly sweet - no pumpkin taste, more like a huge ball of sugar with a tiny drop of pumpkin spice on the top was served in liquid form. So many clashing flavors - at one point, it tasted like cotton candy. Began gagging at the taste.

Mouthfeel was awful for this sort of beer. Felt cottony somehow. Just too light and ephemeral - had no body to it. Just a lot of sweetness and nothing else.

Drinkability is obviously low. Five other guys passed on having any more of this beer - and so we had to pour the rest of the bomber down the drain. The bomber was still more than 75% full. That isn't a good sign.

01-02-2009 20:09:24 | More by xare
chugalug06

Colorado

1.08/5  rDev -73.4%

For the record: I AM a Pumpkin Ale fan...

A - Very nice off-white foam head. Brew is delicious clean, crisp golden orange color. Medium viscosity.

S - WHOA! Smells like a cookie.... Lots of sugary cloves. Some overwhelming spice too. The worst smelling Pumpkin Ale I've ever had... Smells like pumpkin puke.

T - Horrible!!! Very rough and not too rounded... Lots of heat hidden by over-powering spice...

M - Slightly too much carbonation. Very bitter too. Lingers in a bad way; it doesn't finish clean.

O - VERY DISAPPOINTING! Up until this brew, I really enjoyed ST... Not too sure I'll be hunting their others, after this one... Drain pour.

09-21-2011 23:24:27 | More by chugalug06
suncrust

Washington

1.23/5  rDev -69.7%

Alright, so I've given this beer a go multiple times over the last 3 years, and I still just don't understand. I can tolerate pumpkin beers, but this one just isn't for me.

22oz bomber poured to a tulip.

A: Flat, dull orangey color. Light, frothy, but thin, almost non-existent head. Colors are promising and reminiscent of autumn leaves.

A: Pie crust with some corn and deep vanilla scents hit my nose. Very off-putting smell. Artificial sugars, cereal, & marshmallow. Butterscotch notes. Popcorn jellybeans? Vanilla frosting? Yuck.

T: Alcohol and popcorn meld with a creamy, and overly rich vanilla. Way too sweet. Condensed milk and sugary overwhelm my tongue like Cap'n Crunch milk and vanilla frosting. Candy corn, buttery thickness dominates the finish. Hard to choke down, strong vanilla, more butter, corn syrup…. Each bottle has always been this same mess, lacking drinkability and spice.

MF: Feels like I'm drinking coconut milk or something. Hard to swallow, buttery and a cloying sweetness.

O: I don't understand how this is considered one of the best pumpkin beers out there. Pretty disgusting, and a drain pour 3 years running. I'm done trying to give this one a chance.

Skip it.

08-20-2012 03:32:06 | More by suncrust
bif_fat_sellout

11-09-2012 23:37:53 | More by bif_fat_sellout
mbo34

1.25/5  rDev -69.2%

I feel obliged to review this beer because it was such a disappointment. I really can't believe all the good reviews this beer is receiving.
Not much pumpkin to it and a jumbled mess of other flavors. It left an astringency on the back of my throat that I couldn't shake. This has to be one of the most overrated beers ever.

10-04-2010 13:50:37 | More by mbo34

guzzleacoldone

10-27-2013 21:41:31 | More by guzzleacoldone
MasterCraft

1.3/5  rDev -68%

I'm a fan of Southern Tier, and kept hearing great things about Pumking, really wanted to like this one...

Bomber poured into a tulip

A-Low carbonation, modest head, quite a nice shade of orange

S-Pumpkin pie, store bought vanilla frosting, sweet corn, marshmallow. Not a good start.

T-Yikes, way too sweet. Lots of vanilla, more corn, no spice to be found. Reminds me of cake vodka (also a regrettable experience)

M-Not horrible, but hard to appreciate due to the taste. Rather thick

O-Gross. Not sure how I see this come up so often in discussion of "best pumpkin ale". Rarely will I pour a beer down the sink, but I couldn't finish a third of the bomber. Would expect better from Southern Tier.

09-02-2012 16:53:41 | More by MasterCraft
mckajd03

1.3/5  rDev -68%

I'm assuming this rating will come out to be one of the lowest of the group, so let me start with a disclaimer: I have loved all other Southern Tier beers, and bought this both b/c it was rated so high and I'm trying to work through all the ST brews. This is the first one that hasn't been excellent.

With that said, this is the worst beer I've had in a while. The only redeeming quality is the appearance. If you've ever eaten a buttered popcorn flavored Jelly Belly, then you now know what to expect in both the nose and the tastejk. And it's not like it's in the background or anything. I can't find any pumpkin in the nose- only butter. There's a slight hint of spice and pumpkin on the back of the palate, but it's crushed by the rancid popcorn taste. I almost gagged. Perhaps I got a bad bottle, but I don't think I'm the only one who wonders where ST went wrong here.

09-28-2009 01:26:31 | More by mckajd03
decimator

Ontario (Canada)

1.33/5  rDev -67.2%

650ml bottle poured into a pint glass. ABV 8.6%.

A - Poured a clear golden orange with a thin vanishing head. No lacing.

S - Sweet pumpkin. There's something slightly unpleasant in the background that I can't quite pin point.

T - Oh this tastes god awful. Very light sweetness upfront followed by a vile sourness with an even worst medicinal boozy finish.

M - Average carbonation, astringent, dry, slight alcohol burn, the awful aftertaste lingers too long.

O - Drainpour. Just couldn't drink this one.

10-03-2011 01:25:25 | More by decimator
barneysdad

1.35/5  rDev -66.7%

I missed my chance to try this last year. After all the hoopla and with much anticipation I scored 2 bottles this week. What a disappointment! Thank goodness I didn't buy an overpriced case of this goo. As pumpkin ales go, this is the worst by far of the dozen or so that I've tried. Looks great, smells sweet, tastes like liquefied caramel corn and not at all like pumpkin. No way this deserves an Excellent rating, in my opinion. If Grandma's pumpkin pie tasted like this, I'd lose my Thanksgiving dinner.

I've had several other Southern Tier brews - all very good. Just adds to the surprising let down.

09-09-2012 23:39:00 | More by barneysdad
VWBuggirl

South Carolina

1.35/5  rDev -66.7%

Unfortunately, this beer was everything I don't want in a pumpkin beer.

It was sickeningly sweet, overly thick, and tasted like a pumpkin pie instead of a beer brewed with pumpkin. I was worried when I took a sniff and it smelled like dessert time on Thanksgiving... I was not pleased when it tasted like pie and had such a heavy thickness to it either. Give the Dogfish punkin a shot for a great example of the style.

10-09-2011 00:47:53 | More by VWBuggirl
EricHeff

1.35/5  rDev -66.7%

My wife and I tried this beer on tap along side another pumpkin ale (we are both big pumpkin beer fans). Unfortunately this beer tasted nothing like a pumpkin beer. Infact it was pretty horrible.
I even questioned if the bartender poured us the right beer until I read some other reviews on here.
It poured a yellow-ish orange color and had basically no head on it. Smelling it side by side with another pumpkin beer gave us the hint before we tried it that there wasn't going to be much "pumpkin" flavor in this. As for the taste, well its hard to describe. It was sugary had a bad bitter after taste and over powering spice that I just cant place. Nutmeg maybe?
Maybe it was a bad batch or something because we could barely finish the beer it was so bad. I will defiantly be avoiding this beer in the future.

09-14-2010 12:46:44 | More by EricHeff
BeerTwigs

1.48/5  rDev -63.5%

My wonderful Girlfriend purchased a bomber of the Pumking right at the end of August, I let it sit in the fridge for several weeks as I slowly worked my way into the season with some lighter pumkin ales and oktoberfests.

I finally decided to crack into this Labor day weekend and boy was I disappointed. The appearance is ok, the color is as expected. What really threw me for a loop was the strong aroma of nutmeg and cinnamon. Not only did the smell let me down, the first taste did as well. This may have been the hardest 22oz I have ever fought through. It was terribly sweet and impossible to choke donw. I really expected more for this as I usually love Pumkin Pie... oh well. On to the next brew...

09-09-2009 01:56:48 | More by BeerTwigs