Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 08-26-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
JonesBoy

1.73/5  rDev -57.5%

Yes, the emperor has beautiful clothes. Wow, I expected Pumpkin Pie in a bottle, and I really like pumpkin pie. This was not at all close to anything pumpkin. I got the the very tangy graham cracker taste up front and thought what followed would be pure enjoyment. It was pure bitterness. There was nothing discernible, but bitterness. When it warmed up, it was a tad more drinkable, but never was enjoyable. I've had many pumpkin brews, but this was the worst. Too disappointed to even go through the ASTMO analysis.

08-27-2013 01:51:13 | More by JonesBoy
SkiBum22

01-19-2013 16:25:48 | More by SkiBum22
JohnFatAss

What a let down.
Pours a bright orange color. Slight haze to it. Does not look natural.

Smells like pumpkin bread and spices. Not bad, but just wierd coming from a beer.

The taste is just awful. Not even sure if it tastes like pumpkin. Spices maybe, Cinnamon or nutmeg?

As soon a the smell hits, you know it is going to be bad. And once you get a mouthfeel of the stuff. Yuk!!!

This is the worst beer I have had all year.
I can not believe all the good reviews.

I had to pour this down the drain..
An automatic F.

Das_Reh

12-14-2013 14:57:44 | More by Das_Reh
champ103

1.78/5  rDev -56.3%

A: Pours a murky reddish/orange color. A tiny white head forms, and recedes in a second. No lace.
S: Bread crust, allsipce, diacetyl, alcohol. The alcohol is very solvent like.
T: Follows the nose. Burnt toast, bread crust. Allsipce, buttery diacetyl, cooked veggie even. Is that DMS? Harsh solvent like alcohol. This is a mess.
M/D: A thick body that is syrupy. Low on the carbonation. The several times I have tried this, I have never been able to finish a glass. Harsh alcohol, and just unpleasant to drink.

This is a big mess. Diacetyl and DMS? This needs some work. Of the handfull of times I have had this, it is always pretty awful.

04-09-2012 23:19:08 | More by champ103
smellody

1.8/5  rDev -55.8%

I know that Pumpkin beers are widely enjoyed, and that this beer is rated as one of the best. Maybe there was something in the draft line, or it was a bad keg - but the Pumking I had was horrid.

While it poured a pleasant golden amber color and smelled like an odd mixture of spices and pumpkin, at first sip the complexity of flavors was overwhelming. I tasted what seemed like pumpkin pie, but all in all was overpowering and too sweet for my palatte. I found the taste to be metalic in nature with a unflattering after taste. I could not finish the tulip glass I was poured and that is something I hardly ever do - waste beer.

09-08-2009 17:46:05 | More by smellody
chicagobill13

1.83/5  rDev -55%

Everyone was saying try this beer and try. have you try it yet?

Appearance: Slighy head and golden amber that is not too dar.

Smell: smell of nutmeg. Not a really a fan. It is overbearing smell. To me, you can't smell anything else.

Tastle and mouthfeel: This is a pumpkin ale and you can't taste any pumpkin in this beer. All you taste is vanilla and nutmeg.

I am very disappointed but I see others like it. That is fine but not the beer that is says on the bottle. This is awesome beer for the winter just needs a little more malty taste. Cheers!

09-14-2011 00:12:30 | More by chicagobill13
atremains

1.83/5  rDev -55%

Heard about this one, bottle is very intriguing looking. Friend had it, said it was interesting.
Pours a bronze golden color with a scaredy cat head, carbonation looks to be high. Nice looking beer overall. Heres where it gets rough for me. This beer does not smell appealing (to me) at all. All I can smell is a nutty, corny scent that is near repulsive. The taste mimics this. Mouthfeel is on the creamier side, with a good amount of carbonation. It barely hints at pumpkin to me, if that. I'll forget southern tier brewed this one and maybe give it another chance in the future, maybe I just don't get it yet.

09-13-2009 01:46:49 | More by atremains
Qbdoo

1.86/5  rDev -54.3%

OK, I now know I probably just don't like this style. I love Southern Tier so I figured this was a good bet for my first pumpkin beer. But I thought it was just awful and poured it out after 1/4 glass. I like spiced beers but the spices here not only overwhelm the standard beer ingredients; they are just distasteful. Other types of beers are an acquired taste, but I think you have to be born with a taste for something like this.

09-08-2013 16:57:31 | More by Qbdoo
livingregret

Washington

Serving Type: 1pt 6fl oz Beer

Appearance: A nice golden orange. 1/2 a finger head, no lacing. A little lacing or better head retention and I would have rated it average at least

Smell: Very appealing smell. Ginger...light pumpkin pie...nutmeg and slightly buttery.

Taste: The initial taste...is almost non existence. Very light pumpkin than a blast of Bitterness. A long lasting..almost sticky bitterness on the tongue. If I really REALLY try...after the bitterness there is vanilla and clove in the back. nothing upfront though. Really disappointed after such a great smell

Mouthfeel: Cotton like feel that coats the tongue and almost limits the ability to taste on the middle of your tongue

Drinability: I was hopeful...and found this incredibly lacking.

10-06-2009 03:07:43 | More by livingregret
Krakistophales

1.88/5  rDev -53.8%

A: Pours copper colored with a bit of white head that disappears quickly and leaves just a halo and lacing

S: Big pumpkin smell, but it has too much of a buttery, biscuity taste, like a pie crust. I'm not really getting much spice at all, so this one is a bit one note for me.

T: Big pumpkin taste as well, but again, it's too buttery, creamy, and bready/biscuity for my liking. You can taste the pumpkin meat big time, though, but I just can't get over the creamy/biscuity overload here.

O: I was quite surprised when I discovered I actually didn't like something that ST made, but I can't get over the creamy/biscuity/bready taste. My favorite pumpkin ale is still smashed pumpkins, though, with punkin a close second.

09-27-2011 02:52:30 | More by Krakistophales
gargamel01

1.88/5  rDev -53.8%

Appearance -orange to clear with little to no head poured into a chalice.

Smell-like a slice of pumpkin pie as soon as i opened the bottle the aroma of nutmeg,cinnamon and of course pumpkin, exactly what a pumpkin ale should smell like.

Taste-If you took moms pumpkin pie and put it in a bottle with a little carbonation. The flavors were clear and present, every bite I mean sip took me to thanksgiving dinner. The flavors high the high alchohol content.

Mouthfeel- Smooth thick and creamy like a dollop of whip cream was added slight burn from the 9% on the back end.

Drinkability-Yes yes yes I would definetly drink again. The longer it sat the better the flavor got southern tier never ceases to amaze me!

10-15-2010 19:59:18 | More by gargamel01
alexipa

Colorado

1.88/5  rDev -53.8%

A: Crystal clear orange with no head and no lacing. Looks like soda, not appealing at all.

S: Smells of pumpkin pie spices. From what I've been told about this beer, it's what I expected.

T: Does not taste like pumpkin, pumpkin pie, or fall spices! It has a chemical taste with some weird spice on the back end that I can't pin down. Absolutely no malt flavor, no pumpkin, no hops. My wife said it best: "there is no way this can be called beer."

M: Creamy, but really offensive. Something about the feel of this made my stomach almost instantly hurt.

O: If you enjoy chemical cocktails with mild stomach pain, this is your drink. I refuse to call this beer. I choked down half a pint and drain poured the rest of the bottle.

09-04-2012 18:57:29 | More by alexipa
davod23

1.9/5  rDev -53.3%

I'm either just deciding to drink a bunch of shitty beers lately, or something is wrong with my palate... though I don't think it's the latter, as Oude Tart w/ Sour Cherries really hit the mark the other day... oh well.

Pour is a very clear, light orange/gold color. An off-white, almost orangish head emerges. It's fine looking, but nothing great.

The aroma is pretty good, if one dimensional. But hey, it's an imperial pumpkin ale, how complex could it be? I seem to recall this smelling even better in the past... but I'm picking up a ton of buttery graham cracker. It smells a lot like freshly baked pie crust.

Taste is somehow terrible. Extremely sweet, which I expected in part. However, there's a weird twang there, coupled with a harsh putridity at the end of the sip. I actually shuddered as I took my first sip. There's a fair amount of the aroma exhibited here in the taste, but the overwhelming sweetness and the nasty taste in the back of my throat just ended this for me.

Mouthfeel was fine. A little thin - I think that a big, thick mouthfeel would accentuate the pumpkin pie-like characteristic that I think they're going for. Meh.

Drinkability: Do you need to ask? Draiiinpour.

I liked this beer last year. What happened?

01-11-2011 19:06:14 | More by davod23
stonermouse

1.9/5  rDev -53.3%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass (even though the label actually has instructions on appropriate glassware).

Pours a fairly mundane amber color. I tried to read a little orange into the color (it is a pumpkin beer, after all), but not much there. The head was decent, but fizzled out quickly.

Smell led me to believe this was going to be a fairly mild seasonal brew. Some spiciness to it. Certainly smelled like autumn.

Now, I sip. My thought process as I was taking the first swig went something like this: "Hmm, pretty clean, a little sweet, a little spic...wait, what the hell?" The flavor on the back of the palette was just bizarre. Every sip starts out nice and mellow, and then you're walloped with a flavor like you just took a huge chomp out of a Vanilla/Nutmeg/Cinnamon Yankee Candle. The flavors tasted completely unnatural, almost chemical.

Each sip leaves a tingly, spiced flavor in the back of your throat, but it thankfully goes away quickly.

I wanted to like this so badly. I wanted to fall in love with a fall beer that was reminiscent of the smells and flavors of the season. This sucker is reminiscent of autumn, only if fall was fabricated by Hallmark. Nothing natural about it. It should come with silver glitter floating inside to complete the effect. Poured about 6 bucks of beer down the drain, after sharing with three other people.

10-03-2010 01:16:19 | More by stonermouse
aasher

Indiana

Notes from fall

Appearance: a murky burnt orange in color, poured smoothly and creamy, creme colored creamy head, stuck to the sides of the glass

Smell: overpoweringly sweet, smells sugary with less pumpkin than you'd think, slight spicyness

Taste: far too sweet for me, it's really overpowering and unbearable, it's kind of like cotton candy. A lot of people say it's like pumpkin pie but I disagree. It's not spicy enough and doesn't feature enough pumpkin.

Mouthfeel: insanely creamy and smooth, almost soapy, kind of has the mouthfeel you'd expect from a bomber by Great Divide, not Southern Tier

Drinkability: I really didn't like this beer. It's far too sweet and nothing like you would imagine it to be, being an imperial pumpkin. It doesn't feature enough pumpkin or spices. I'd recommend anything that isn't Pumking. This beer could give you diabetes.

07-01-2010 16:24:51 | More by aasher
Vancer

1.93/5  rDev -52.6%

Here we go with a clear pumpkin orange pour in the ol' Corsendonk tulip. Minimal white head, no lacing to write home about.

Aroma? Strange one. Typical cinnamon pumpkin, but with a sweet medicine orange mixed within this brew. But the taste is where this one goes downhill in a hurry. Bitter, astringent, dead and decaying pumpkin rinds. Good grief, this is crap pumpkin.

Southern Tier is usually top notch, but this is bottom shelf rail booze.

10-18-2009 19:07:56 | More by Vancer
Wisconsuds

Wisconsin

1.93/5  rDev -52.6%

Really excited to try this 9% abv pumpkin beer from Southern Tier Brewing out of NY. Fall season, cool weather, pumpkin beer - what's not to like?!

Poured into my Chimay goblet, per 22oz bottle directions. A vibrant orange hue filled the glass, leaving a fingernails worth of light tan foam. Dissipated soon after.

The smell, obviously, brought strong hints of cinnamon, spice, and sweet pumpkin notes. Could almost smell the healthy quantities of sugar poured in. A bread-y, fresh pumpkin-baked smell invades your nose. Very pleasant.

Upon first taste, I could tell this is not what I signed up for. An unbalanced, artificial tasting mess. Harsh spice notes, and a dry, lingering finish really put me off. A sugary, clovey abomination. Very UNpleasant.

Medium bodied, carbonation is middle-road as well. As others have said, the alcohol is masked well at 9%

Not gonna lie here, drain-poured half the bottle. I'm no pumpkin beer conniousseur, but I've had my fair share, and this was by far the most unpleasant. Really not understanding all the positive reviews.

10-20-2010 20:22:41 | More by Wisconsuds