Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,830 | Hads: 6,935
3.76/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bursting with flavor. Pumpkin, pie crust, tons of spice (almost too much), clove, nutmeg, caramel sweetness. Nice bitterness pop at the back end. A good pumpkin beer but a tad over the top. Wish the mouthfeel was creamier as well. (230 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark muddy orange with an off white/orange head.

Smells of roasted malt, pumpkin, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg.

Taste is big roasted malt backed by large pumpkin flavors saturated in pumpkin pie spice. This is a big beer with big flavor, but too much pumpkin pie sweetness for me. A little cloying. (305 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -1.7%

This one is kind of strange to me. The pumpkin on the nose and taste is pretty good. The spices are nice, but I don't think the mouthfeel fits what I expected from these flavors. I think these flavored are bettered suited for a thicker, darker style like a porter or stout. Overall, this was interesting, but not my favorite. (325 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: pale orange color with a thin head

Smell: heavily spiced sweet pumpkin aromas with a grainy malt backbone

Taste: The spice is just overpowering with little pumpkin taste. Also a grainy undertone in the taste

Mouthfeel: light medium bodied; comes off as thin, watery and a little boozy

Overall: I never really loved pumking, but i dont remember it being this bad. The best way i can describe it is like drinking perfumy pumpkin spice with grains. $17 a four pack is a joke. Never again. Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale blows this away at half the price. (558 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

You know, I must have gotten really lucky with pumpkin ales over the years. I've actually never had one that I disliked. Consequently, I'm usually flabbergasted when I hear people say that they hate pumpkin ales. Now that I've had this one, however, I can see why many don't like pumpkin ales. While I don't think this one is bad, it's very mediocre (and artificial). Here goes:

A: Partly hazy yellow. Good effervescence but the head is very small. No lacing.

S: Very...artificial. Smells like it's all added spice. Nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, and pumpkin seeds.

T: Like the smell. Almost like they took a regular pale ale and added spices.

F: Meh.

O: Just an OK beer. Very artificial, and this bogs down the flavor. (734 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -62.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Definitely wasn't feeling it at all. I haven't liked the Pumking for years, but for whatever reason it was actually decent for me last year. I dont know if that means the recipe was different or the bottle conditioning on this one was too young or what. It had a nice caramel malty taste but oh man, the plethora of cinnamon reminded me of that God awful Shipyard brew. I never drain pour, but this almost made me do it. No thanks (430 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -39%

IMO this beer has declined tremendously in the past 4 years since the first time I drank it. No head (and I've tried different glassware), overly sweet taste and underwhelming. I tried it once more this year. Not again. (222 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a nice amber color with minimal head.

the smell is straight pumpkin pie! one of my 3 favorite pies so no complaints here.

tastes like pumpkin pie with some vanilla mixed in. too sweet for me, especially at 8.6%.

a thin beer, very little body to it. goes down smooth enough but it still very thin.

overall for the style it's a good beer but it's simply a style i don't enjoy very much. this beer has a more straight forward taste of pumpkin pie instead of heavy spices with the pumpkin; the heavy spices are a complete no-no for me. not a beer i want right now, i could see drinking this on a cold october night but due to it's thin body i'm not sure i'd use this as a "warmer" if that makes sense to anyone else. (722 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -25.3%

Glad I only got one bottle. This is way over the top with spice. Pumpkin spice, especially nutmeg, in the nose and in the taste, plus boozy alcohol. This veers into medicinal flavors at times. Only recommended if you want to get drunk or if your palate is shot and you really need something in your face in order to taste it. No idea how it got a 90 score, I'm more in line with the Bros on this one. (405 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Pour is light-orange with little head (poured from a bottle)

S: Smell of pumpkin spice, pumpkin, cinnamon, vanilla.

T: Overpowering taste of nutmeg. Slight taste of pumpkin and fall spices.

F: Medium body with low levels of carbonation..

O: Probably a good beer wiht a caramel rim and sugar on a cold October, but other than that, I'll pass. (348 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -1.7%

L: beautiful light orange
S: spices, graham cracker, pumpkin
T: not boozy, pumpkin and graham cracker
F: light to medium body, light mouthfeel
O: my favorite pumpkin beer, this one is a year old, I like fresh ones better (224 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +20.8%

I love pumpkin beers, and this is, BY FAR, the best one I've ever had. Yankee Candle needs to make the scent into a candle. Unfortunately there was a limit of 1 when buying Pumking at my store, which I understand why, but still disappointing. I am by no means a beer connoisseur, but I know what I like, and this is the best I've had so far. (341 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I have had the 2013 and 2014 versions. Overall one of my favorite beers and the best pumpkin beer I've had.

Smell: Pumpkin and hint of vanilla
Taste: has a vanilla nutmeg and cinnamon taste that works well with the bitterness. (228 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 5

A - Pours a hazy "apple-cider" color with 2 finger head. Decent head retention with little lacing present.

S - As amazing as it may sound, the overwhelming aroma of the beer was --- pumpkin. The aromas are fairly on par with that of pumpkin pie. Fairly sweet, malt dominated beer.

T - If you're a fan of pumpkin ales you will love this one. The flavor overall is not too complex and very straightforward. Too me, it perfectly resembles that of a pumpkin pie; in liquid form of course. The hint of vanilla in it resembles the whipped cream on top of the pie oddly enough. Leaves a pleasantly sweet aftertaste. An incredibly well done pumpkin ale.

M - A fairly full bodied beer with a perfect amount of carbonation - not too overwhelming. A very sharp, crisp feeling beer.

O - As a big fan of pumpkin ales and the festive feel they bring, Southern Tier did not let me down. Everything was spot on to what I expected if not better. If you like pumpkin any/everything, you'll love this one. An awesome fall beer that I'll be running back to the store to stock up on -- I feel like will be even better aged. (1,111 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Southern Tier Pumking.

So here it is, the apparent king of the pumpkin beers. Looked it over every year I saw it until today I bought it on a whim to see what all the hype was about. Only ever had two pumpkin beers, one was great and the other was pretty meh. Let's see how the supposed king stacks up.

Look - Pours an amberish copper with a two and a half finger slightly off white head that within a minute falls to about a half finger. Carbonation appears to be exceptionally high with this one. By the end of a continue poured bomber no head remains whatsoever and lacing isn't even a factor as none exists. 3.75.

Smell - Pie crust and allspice along with a large hit of booze and a huge ginger like aspect. The booze portion is a tad off putting but since this nearly 9% I guess I can't complain that much. 3.75.

Taste - Initially met by a quick shot of alcohol followed up by straight the fuck up ripe pumpkins and gingerbread spice. Pie crust is in the mix along with a good dose of cinnamon. A bit sweeter than what I like, But it is pretty tasty. 4.

Feel - Medium bodied with only a touch of the carbonation coming through. A bit tough to hold due to the insane sweetness. Coats the mouth in a sticky sweet substance. 3.5.

Overall - Torn on it. While it does taste good, the sweetness will surely bother some people. Those who do not like the style in general will not like this. At $9 a bomber I'd likely pass in the future unless it were for Halloween or an attempt at seeing whether some age would tone down the sweetness a bit. As for king of the style? Well it is certainly the most pumpkin like..but it may be a bit much 3.75. (1,647 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Looks really nice, a beautiful golden color. Head fades quick. Smells exactly like fall, it's awesome. The taste is underwhelming for me, though. It seems unbalanced; too much spice and not enough sweetness to back it up. This is the only time I've tried it, so I assume the previous years were better. At the end of the day, it's just not my cup of beer. (355 characters)

L: A copper amber gold pour with a slight haze supports a thin, off-white foam collar. S: Has big pumpkin aromas but the pumpkin spice aromas are toned down. T: More pumpkin spice on the tongue with brown sugar caramel sweetening the pumpkin. F: Medium body and carbonation. O: I prefer this cold – as it warms the pumpkin flavors come out more and become more cloying. (371 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -23.6%

A: Pour is orange with head that dissipates quickly.

S: Smell of pumpkin spice, pumpkin, cinnamon, vanilla.

T: Overpowering taste of nutmeg. Slight taste of pumpkin and fall spices.

F: Medium body with low levels of carbonation. Very smooth drinking beer.

O: The last 2 years of Pumking were terrible. Prior to 2014 this was a 5 star beer. Southern tier decided to over power this beer with nutmeg which drowns out all the pumpkin and spice flavors. Please bring back the old pumking when this truly was the king of pumpkin beers. (534 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +0.7%

Pour is golden orange with a nice white head that fades very fast. Smell is my fav part of this beer. It is all pumpkin spice and cinnamon, and the taste is very similar with a bonus bready malt taste. Mouthfeel is nice, medium body and the spices tickle the tongue. Overall this is a great pumkin beer even though that style is not my first choice. (349 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz. bottle.

A: Pours a clear light pumpkin orange with one finger of foamy white head. Head fades quickly and leaves no lacing. Unfortunately not an impressive appearance. Looks like a flat beer that has been sitting for awhile.

S: The scent of pumpkin spice hits you immediately, when you dig deeper you find aromas of cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, and clove. The malts smell of graham cracker, and pie crust which creates the aroma of fresh pumpkin pie.

T: Pumpkin is definitely the dominant flavor throughout this brew, from start to finish it is there. Flavors of pie crust, sweet bready malts, cinnamon, and vanilla all appear in the middle. Finishes with some clove, pumpkin spice, and subtle earthiness.

M: Medium bodied, with low levels of carbonation. Slightly creamy and very smooth. The alcohol has a slight warming effect but is hidden quite well.

O: From the moment you crack the bottle the aroma of pumpkin lures you in. This brew truly smells and tastes great and is my brew of choice to enjoy on Samhain. But while I really enjoy this beer I must say the appearance of this years version was truly disappointing, and the mouth-feel could use some fine tuning as well. Still a great brew and a must try for anyone who enjoys the flavor of pumpkin. (1,283 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -24.3%

Just tried the 2015 batch from a 22 oz bottle. Something seems a bit off. The mouth feel is still quite creamy and nice, but the smell and taste are very Yankee Candle-ish. Perhaps too much clove? (196 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pours a clear orange with a inch thick foamy white head. Smell of pumpkin spice, pumpkin, cinnamon, vanilla, and a light waxy candle like back note. Taste is pumpkin with a lot of bread-y malt and a very big candle flavor. It has a moderate to full mouth feel and a medium body. (278 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

I think people absolutely love this beer or absolutely hate it. I'm certainly on the low side of this. The breadiness just absolutely kills it and it honestly smells putrid. I very much prefer Schlafly's pumpkin ale over this, but to each his/her own. (251 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

Malty sweet and a load of pumpkin spice. This beer teeters on the edge of over doing it however the spices are so well done it works. Like pumpkin pie in a bottle, this is a great dessert beer. (195 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle with a Barrelhouse Brewco Snifter glass
Noted on 12/24/2014

Received in trade from mdfb79 – Cheers Dan!

A: The Pumking pours a bright peachy orange body. It actually looks the color of pumpkin flesh. Quite a bit of cloudy disturbance to it. Thin layer of ecru foam comes to rest above. Slowly fades out to a crown leaving a few dots and ribbons of lace left behind.

S: Vanilla custard with graham cracker and pumpkin pie filling and spices. Like a crème brulee with cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg added. Getting some strong alcohol in the nose. Has an almost solvent quality to it. Other than that this smells quite decadent.

T: The flavor brings through more pie crust than actual pie filling. I get an all encompassing vanilla caramel crème sweetness to this and loads of graham cracker crust notes to go with. The pumpkin is earthy and lightly vegetal with a healthy spice mix of the traditional holiday players. Low bitterness and not really as thick as I had expected. Still sweet and kind of boozy at times while remaining a likeable nature.

M: Moderate full body with a slight creamy consistency. Low actual bitterness with a rather sticky texture to it. Touch of drying in the finish and some leftover sugary coating.

D: A pretty intense Pumpkin dessert brew. Love the vanilla custard pie notes and the spices are blended well. I enjoyed this quite a bit but probably couldn’t drink much of ‘em. Really glad I had one sent my way none the less. I can see why they call him the King. (1,541 characters)

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company