Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,896 | Hads: 7,225
2.53/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A: [3.25] The initial pour is a really transparent amber/orange color. There is no head. None at all. Also, I olnly poured about 75% of the beer and there are a TON of floaties in the remaining 25%. The bottle lists the ABV (8.6%) and has a born on date of 7/16/15.

S: [2.75] It smells like Cracklin Oat Bran cereal (which I like). Very cereal scent - maybe Grape Nuts.

T: [2.25] Has a very artificial flavor. Fake pumpkin with nutmeg. The beer is 8.6% but the alcohol is poorly masked.

M: [2.75] It drinks like a dry wine. It is not really pleasant.

O: [2.50] Like someone made a "Scratch 'n Sniff" of a pumpkin and then bottled it that is what I get for the smell and taste. Really artificial and nasty. This is more like a bad wine than a decent beer. The flavor is bad. The presentation is bad, with the floaties. The alcohol is not masked. I hate to waste beer - but I am not finishing this.

2.98/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I love pumpkin ales but this one is not a favorite of mine. Structurally it seems a bit weak, from the thin head to the body. Decent nose but my main issue is that it tastes like potpourri.

3.93/5  rDev -2%

Enjoyed a sample at Bocktown in Robinson with Leah. I really enjoyed the color of this one! Almost like orange juice :) The taste was good, but would be too much for a while glass.

3.84/5  rDev -4.2%

Look is clear amber with a thin frothy head.

Aroma is aggressive allspice. The smell is nothing but pumpkin pie spice with no balance in aroma.

Taste is so full of spice its almost grainy. Lots of cinnamon allspice and nutmeg. Not balanced. Mouth feel is coating and thick.

3.91/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a slightly cloudy light orange with weak head. Well, ok, it smells like....pumpkin! Any spices are subtle and no sweetness. The ABV is well hidden, so watch out. The hops and malts are the backbone and that's all to the good, making it a solid ale with some factory installed options. We're not huge fans of fruit and vegtable beers. It's well done to the style, so rated to that standard.

3.8/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours clear orange, like a pumpkin-orange. Barely a head. Looks light and crisp.
Smells like pumpkin spice/ nutmeg/ pumpkin pie-like. Very, very nice though.
The taste is where it slides away for me. It's spicy and boozy. Sure there's sweet pumpkin flavor in there, but this is pretty abrasive. Feels medium-thin and low carbonated.
Okay as a pumpkin ale I guess, I just wish the alcohol was more hidden and the spices a little more tame. Just my preference.

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

If you make this your first pumpkin beer, there's almost nowhere to go but down. Beautiful amber/orange color. The scent is at Breakfast Stout level in that it's pretty much as enjoyable as drinking the brew. Brilliant, sophisticated array of scents of pumpkin, spices, pie crust, so well balanced and harmonious. Few beers offer an olfactory experience that's this magnetic. That smell is picked up in the taste in a seamless drinking experience. Pumpkin beers always struck me as a novelty style, so I was always skeptical and hesitant to try them. The first few I had were okay, New Belgium's Pumpkick is similar to this one, but much more cinnamon-leading. Pumking is in the absolute top tier of this niche style.

2.75/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Hazy bright orange, like food dye, plenty of carbonation. Smells sweet, with fake gourd notes and light baking spice. Flavor is... bad. Way too sweet and artificial, like pumpkin syrup, with no bitterness to balance it and hardly any spices to offer variety. There is a biscuit note on the finish, the only hint that this might be a beer. Light body, could be highly drinkable if it weren't for the rest of it.
I like pumpkin beers, a lot, and I am ok with sweetness, but this was an abomination. Artificial pumpkin, overdose of sugar- I felt a headache coming on after just a few sips. To its credit, it is better than Warlock.

3.34/5  rDev -16.7%

I wish I liked this more. It's quite close, but needs more body and seems to have the aroma and spice profile that better suited for a brown ale or even a porter. Overall, a good fall beer. Now it's time to move on from the pumpkin beers (there's SO many this year).

2.85/5  rDev -28.9%

This beer tasted ok but it has natural flavors added. If you are going to charge me $13 a six and call it a craft product you shouldn't need to add extra artificial or natural flavors. Very disappointed and will not have this again.

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Pour House, pours an orange-amber with minimal head and no lacing. Smell is phenomenal; perfect combination of caramel-fresh pumpkin and nutmeg, very smooth. The taste is primarily nutmeg, but the fresh pumpkin comes through as well, though I wish it were more pronounced. Slight cinnamon notes too. Mouthfeel is more highly carbonated than expected, but for an imperial it's easy to drink. A fall classic!

3.49/5  rDev -13%

Clear yellow in the glass with no head. It smells of good pumpkin spice. Tastes starts like it smells but quickly fads to a terrible light beer flavor. Flavor fads fast, very thin. I won't get this again.

3.44/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle at America on Tap
Brown sugary caramel maltiness with plenty of pie spices to cut through it, not the worst pumpkin beer I've ever had, might even like it in small doses.

2.66/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I've had this beer in the past but, this year I think it's terrible. Very bitter after taste and not in a hoppy kind of way, just nasty bitter! I don't know if it's me or if they did something different this year.

1.39/5  rDev -65.3%

Entirely too sweet and chemically - tastes like they mixed in a pound of Sweet n Low + dry cleaning fluid. Avoid this like a rancid, post-Halloween pumpkin.

2.5/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

I like pumpkin beers to start and was excited as this is more or less the essential. I just did not like it because it was very perfume like and left a cloying grainy feeling.

4.41/5  rDev +10%

Starts out sweet on the tip of your tongue, then the spice in the center of your palate, finished with a little bitterness from the hops at the end. Just a pleasure to drink.

3.83/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle served in a snifter. Vibrant orange-gold in color with 1/2 a finger of bubbly, off-white foam. Sweet pumpkin spice, honey, and cinammon on the nose. Medium weight, albeit a tad thin for my liking. Straight up pumpkin-pie on the taste initially. As it warms, I get notes ofcinammon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract. Ok finish. Coulda been better, coulda been worse. Lots of spice on the back end and aftertaste.

I suppose I'm just not a pumpkin beer guy. While this wasn't bad at all, it just didn't live up to the hype for me.

3.58/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

In general, pumpkin beers are just an extension of pumpkin lattes. This is true for this beer, but at least it's better than most.

Spiced, but not annoyingly so. Sweet, but not cloying. Lingering taste, which is a bit much.

Not one of my top three, but good.

4.04/5  rDev +0.7%

Well my search for pumpkin beers are over. While some people like more of a no frills pumpkin beer I want my beer like a piece of pumpkin pie. This beer fits the bill. The spices and taste are right on with being as close to pumpkin pie as I have had. This beer is not overt sweet to me and is a joy to drink. I am glad they released this in a four pack this year so I can drink it more often without having to commit to a bomber. This beer is going to be in my fridge throughout Thanksgiving.

4.9/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pumpkin Rating: Pie!
Drink Again: I want another one right now
The person that sold me this beer said it wasn't just a pumpkin taste: it was the whole pie. This is 100% true. It's hard not to sip this beer slowly because it's so good: there's a kind of elegant fragrance all the way through and a kind of thick creamy scent at the end. I need more.

4.06/5  rDev +1.2%

Had a couple of these on draught last weekend and bought this bottle to follow up with at home. Poured from a 22oz bomber into my tulip glass. pours a deep golden orange color. The nose is of the pumpkin spices, cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon. There is a deep roasted pumpkin overtone. The taste is more of the great roasted pumpkin not great over shadowed by the spices. A very nicely done pumpkin beer and the 8.6 ABV is well hidden.

1.62/5  rDev -59.6%

Wow. This is one nasty beer. Tasted like an artificial flavored gummy bear or jelly bean.

Pumpkin pie crust in a beer? This has it. Various pumpkin pie spice "flavors" but chemical in nature.

I could not get past the artificial nastiness to take any other "qualities" serious.

I will never buy this again. Blech.

2.67/5  rDev -33.4%

Pros: I actually taste the pumpkin pie crust. Nice
Good malt flavor
Enough alcohol to help you put the cons in the back of your mind

Cons: Tastes artificial and chemical. This dissipates somewhat as the brew warms, but could be from the alcohol. I think it might also be from the interaction between the hops and the flavor compounds as it is bitter and astringent.

Decent beer offset by a fuel-like chemical flavor. Probably the alcohol. I would just as soon drink a bud light.

4.58/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer smelled of pumpkin pie and spice. The beer poured a dark golden brown with a one inch head and left a nice lacing in the glass. I am not an overall fan of the style of beer but found this one to be drinkable with a nice flavor.

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company