Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,811 | Hads: 6,859
4.33/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

BOD 8/10/14. Clear light amber pour. Fair head, lacing and retention. Wonderful nose of strong pumpkin over balanced spicy notes of clove and nutmeg. As it warms, biscuit malt, cinnamon and vanilla notes appear. Medium bodied with an almost slick mouthfeel. Normal carbonation with a bit of effervescence on the finish. The flavor profile is intense, complex and fairly well balanced considering the brewer's desired effect - it comes at you like an unrestricted NASCAR racer at 'Dega (ie. over 220 mph). It begins by smashing you in the face with pumpkin, that then flows into a smash in the face of the aforementioned spices. Clove takes the lead in the middle and slowly fades into a vanilla note over a rich biscuit and bready sweetness. The finish is smooth and a blend of the flavors linger against a nice mild alcohol burn at the back of the throat. (865 characters)

Loved the color and the flavor, but it lacked body and had no lacing to speak of. Yes, I'd buy it again because it tasted that good (22 oz. bottle bought at Zipp's in Minneapolis and recommended wisely by their Beer Guru Shaughn), and I would definitely turn my friends on to it, if I had any friends, but I don't, not leastaways who I drink with anymore, but I would treat myself to another bottle of this even if the price is a bit high. Worth it. (449 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a pale gold with very little head which dissipates quickly. No lacing. I do like that it's a pale pumpkin beer since most I've had have been dark. Great sweet butterscotch smell with just a touch of pumpkin spices. Taste is much the same as the smell. Butterscotch malt but not too sweet. Some spices but not too much or overpowering. Very balanced and delicious. Medium to heavy bodied and well carbonated. Very unlike any pumpkin beer I've had. A really fantastic and unique beer. (498 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

650ml bottle into snifter. "DOB 07/29/14", consumed on september 30, 2014

a: a glowing tangerine hue that is rather transparent, with a finger of off-white head

s: pumpkin, a surprising amount of vanilla, and sweet buttery doughy malt. so, yep, basically pumpkin pie

t: rich pumpkin flesh in the front. mid-palate is very medicinal and odd, and consists of bitterness and alcohol. the good stuff returns towards the end -- slight spices, a big and lovely vanilla presence, then pie crust/graham cracker/bread/sugary malt. not picking up on any spices whatsoever here. the bitterness lingers for quite a while and is probably necessary considering how sweet the beer is, but i find it rather harsh and off-putting

m: medium mouthfeel, mild carbonation

o: the aroma was fantastic, but there's some weird stuff going on in the mid-palate. such a shame because the delicious pumpkin pie flavours certainly are present (922 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Super impressed with the unique characters of this beer. By far, this is the most natural tasting pumpkin beer I've had.

On the front end, its pumpkin pie all day long, and included the buttery crust of a pie. Its a bit "wheat" like as soon as you take a decent sip, with mostly sweet characteristics of that pumpkin pie coming through.

The back end mellows out that sweetness with a crisp, slightly bitter finish. I think that the alcohol feel in your mouth isn't extremely impressive, but for an 8.6% beer, it goes down rather easily. Also, it is nice that it doesn't have that overbearing spice presence that a lot of pumpkin ales have. There is a subtle hint of your typical nutmeg/cinnamon/allspice/clove, but it isn't nearly as overpowering as it is in a lot of the others. Hands down the best I've had yet. (824 characters)

Purchased at the LCBO 650ml bottle for $7.95. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass

A- 4.0- Opens well and pours little head that is gone in no time. Very light for the species of beer

S- 4.25- Lots of cinnamon and herbs

T- 2.0- WOW this is funky. I know it's not a bad bottle, just a poor recipe. Completely off quality that leaves a bad aftertaste

M- 3.0- Very thick and coating. Not very appealing at all

O- 2.95- This beer does not even break a 3 so it goes back. Yuk

Food Pairing

I didn't like this beer at all so there is no food pairing.

Enjoy (556 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -13.4%

Appearance: Very light colored for a pumpkin ale, not too much of a head when poured, but it is a big beer with 8.6% ABV. (3.5/5)

S: This is a new smell for a pumpkin ale, it's smell is like pumpkin pie with a bunch of vanilla. This smell reminds me of the Souther Tier Creme Brûlée that I had along time ago. (4.5/5)

T: Way different than all the other pumpkin ales out there. Very sweet, kind of vanilla like. A slight pumpkin pie type spice with it. Tastes artificial and overly sweet to me. (3/5)

M: It doesn't have much stickiness for how sweet it is. Has me wondering if there are artificial flavors in this beer. A little hot. (3/5)

O: Overall, this isn't a beer that I would buy again, but I am glad I had it. Before I had other pumpkin beers this is what I would imagine a pumpkin beer should have tasted like. Now, after having many in its style, I would have to say this comes off as gimmicky. The flavor seems artificial. (3.5/5) (947 characters)

This beer is really good, but it isn't really pumpkiny to me. It's definitely spicy, but not a pumpkin kind of spicy. To me, it's more like a clove kind of spicy. Also, I was surprised to read that others think this isn't a bitter beer. It isn't as bitter as beer comes, but to me, it's kind of bitter. Also, the projected ABV might be a little low and understated. I've only had half of one, and I'm pretty hammered. (419 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

I heard the hype and gave it a try at the local Winking Lizard. Man, I was blown away. Almost tastes like pumpkin pie. Really good. Definitely recommend to anyone to try despite the heavier price tag. (201 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: One of the nicest looking pumpkin beers in color. Perfect yellowish-orange pumpkin color like the real thing. Head is pretty standard, but no lacing there.

S: Graham cracker. Vanilla pumpkin spice, and a lot of gingerbread. A little spicy, bright from lemon/orange, and sweet smelling squash flowers.

M: Medium and firm body. Moderate carbonation.

T: Earthy and savory. Bready malt. Vanilla-ginger-cinnamon cream. It really reminded me like Pinnacle Pumpkin Pie vodka. yikes. Had some lilac and herbal notes reminiscent of Belgian IPA. Could have some deeper sweetness to it. Not getting enough caramel. (609 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -21.6%

22 oz bottle. Pours slightly hazy yellow orange with a medium creamy white head that retains fairly well and leaves little lacing.

The aroma is sweet pumpkin and lots of spice - nutmeg, cinnamon and hazelnut.

The flavor is sweet pumpkin with a lot of spicy cinnamon and some nutmeg and hazelnut. The finish is kind of harsh medicinal cinnamon The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with slightly sharp carbonation.

Overall, similar spicing to the Warlock. Seems more overdone with the roast to balance. (509 characters)

This Pumpkin Ale is by far my favorite one on the market. I'm so in love with it. I can drink two bottles in a row (over the course of two hours). I LOVE that whipped cream/pie crust flavor it carries. The traditional pumpkin pie spices are there but not too overpowering like MOST pumpkin ales (breweries that just jump on the bandwagon and care little about crafting good beer). The candied pumpkin flavor accompanied by the bitter hops merges together beautifully. I hope Southern Tier never changes their recipe. It's flawless. I purchased a whole case of this beer last week. Talk about pricy, but hey, that's how much I love it, and my book royalties covered it. :D (681 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

The best pumpkin brew I've tasted. I usually don't care for the pumpkin brews due to the fact the pumpkin is always secondary to the spices which overpower the entire flavor. I like the fact pumpkin takes the foreground in this beer
I get a roasted pumpkin flavor with vanilla and spices.
They do have seemed to change the recipe from last year though- seems to be more of a hop presence which I like because its balances the sweetness.
A well made beer and I won't drink any other pumpkin brews...

For (505 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +16.6%

Pumking pours a beautiful hazy coppery, honey color. The head is fairly light, with some bubbles piling up around the sides of the glass. The nose is fantastic- distinct notes of pumpkin, graham cracker, spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, clove), earthiness, and something that makes me think of spiced black tea (chai). Pumking is medium bodied, smooth throughout the middle with a nice crisp finish.

On the pumpkin beer spectrum that ranges from pumpkin pie to gourd in flavor, Pumking is certainly more toward the pie side. However, unlike many pumpkin pie beers the crust taste really stands out. There are also notes of caramel, vanilla, brown sugar, sugar cookie, roasted pumpkin, and a little bit of alcohol. (708 characters)

Very tasty, but I had trouble getting over the sweetness of the pumpkin crust, which could have been toned down. Otherwise, very delicious and drinkable. (154 characters)

Appearance: Pours rust, amber with fair white head which quickly resolves to fine thread with good carbonation

Smell: Pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, cinnamon, over ripe apple

Taste: Pumpkin and cloying spice flavors ,weirdly flat flavor, sweet with increasingly metallic taste; alcohol burn and then a lingering (unpleasant) aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:Fair carbonation, really syrupy texture and sticky residue

Overall: Too much spice, far too cloying, sadly I had half the glass and tossed the remainder. Would not recommend. (521 characters)

I don't typically like pumpkin style beer but this is awesome. When people ask me what it tasted like, tell them it tastes like someone took the best pumpkin pie you've ever had topped with cinnamon and sugar whipped cream and poured it in a glass.

This is my most favorite beer. I wish it was available year round.

The alcohol content is extremely well masked. You have to keep good count of each glass you drink of this. (427 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

A - Pours a clear golden orange with a thick two finger head. Dissipates slowly to a nonexistent cap and minimal lacing.

S - Aroma is light, but good. Mostly nutmeg with pumpkin and cinnamon in the background. It smells generally sweet, not a specific caramel or toffee aroma. Much more of a pumpkin bread than pie.

T - Much like the smell it is pumpkin, cinnamon, and sweetness all at once. Nice bitterness in the swallow with the spice continuing in the finish.

M - Light body and medium carbonation.

O - Different than most pumpkin ales in flavor and aroma, this beer will definitely fill future rounds of my fall catalog. Taste is light but good with a nice bitterness to temper the sweetness. My only complaint is that the body could be a little heavier. (763 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured a nice looking pumpkin-orange color; lots of lively carbonation yet the head is big bubbled and dissipates rapidly (3.25). Strong pumpkin pie aroma to include pie crust (4.25). Flavor starts out strong with the pumpkin and related spices, has a decent hop bitterness at first, but then a strong chlorophenol, medicinal aftertaste takes hold and doesn't give up (2.5). Medium bodied; rather smooth mouthfeel (3.75).

Looks are weak and the taste, ultimately, disappoints. I can forgive the appearance but the aftertaste of burnt rubber or vinyl can't be ignored and pretty much ruins an otherwise decent beer. Certainly not what I expected. A big let down although I'd try it again on the odds that I got a bad sample. (724 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

Southern tier has yet another enjoyable beer that has been produced. The pumking is one of my favorite stouts! I would describe it as very smooth body,rich in flavor, and easy to dink. This stout will always be one of my favorites. (231 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

I've been wanting to try this beer as many friends have raged about it.... and they have everything to rage about.

This beer is incredible from Bottle Art to taste.

It smells sweet like a dessert almost, but upon tasting you're greeted with an enjoying pumpkin taste coupled with spices. This beer deserves to be enjoyed. The smells you get off of it are just so pleasant and upbringing, it makes you feel peaceful. I loved it. (430 characters)

A:golden and thick

S: pumpkin

T: amazing pumpkin pie desert (especially the crust)

M: 9/10

Overall: one of the best pumpkin beers I have had, if not the best this year (172 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

A: Clear, light, hazy amber color. Finger of head with larger bubbles. Steady stream of CO2 bubbles rising from the bottom.

S: Definitely pumpkins and not pumpkin pie, which is pleasant. A little dank, maybe a hint of mossy hops. A little nutmeg up front but does not smell like a spiced beer.

T: Let me preface this by saying I'm not a huge pumpkin beer fan (occasionally during the fall). My first taste impression is very refreshing and fresh pumpkin that's almost mouth watering. Taste quickly fades and no annoying pumpkin taste lingers. A little bit of that smoky, cinnamon-y nutmeg taste. Another user wrote toasted graham crackers and now I can taste that too! Feel a little burn in my chest to let me know this is imperial.

M: Clean, very little chalkiness or pumpkin aftertaste, starts mouth watering and leaves it quenched.

O: Very, very drinkable. I love this to start off the fall season. Especially as I'm making roast turkey and herbed quinoa stuffed carnival squash Yum, I enjoyed this beer much more than I thought I would and much more than other pumpkins. Would be curios to see what a barrel-aged version would taste like. (1,165 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

Outstanding - had first sip on a whim (actually, after buying a 1/4 bbl). I do not care for pumpkin "flavored" beers, but not the case with this brew...have been waiting all year to get another batch of this. Found it at my local grocer in (litres?) and bought two.

A beer style and memorable flavor you will not forget - tastes like roasted graham cracker (like smores) / pumpkin pie but not overwhelming...only negative to keep it at 4.75 vs. 5.0 is abv level (I think 8.6 is generously low), but that's the price you pay for the taste which is something everyone should experience. Truly outstanding :) (607 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Amazing pumpkin flavor has the nose like freshly baked apple pie!

Goes down smooth with underlying caramel and hop profiles but pumpkin is wonderfully prevalent the entire way down!

Ends warm and spicy with a strong nutmeg aftertaste and hints caramel

Overall not what i expected but wonderfully drinkable and sweet pumpkin pie flavor to the max, I am going to shelf it and try another bottle same time next year. This seems like a beer that would age, very-very well! (472 characters)

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company