1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 08-26-2007)
Ratings: 4,701 | Reviews: 1,669 | Show All Ratings:
ptbise

4.74/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

As Pumpkin Beers go, this is the gold standard. My wife says it's like a pumpkin pie without the crust. She's right the beer does have more of a dessert feel with its creamy finish. Limited release every year is worth the wait every October. Sometimes difficult to find in in the PA / NY region it's produced. Stock up if you can!!!

01-20-2014 17:28:53 | More by ptbise
JayBarnes10

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

have had this one a couple times, great notes of pumpkin and a yammy finish. it's a deserty beer, one that you'd drink just 1 or 2 of I feel but REALLY enjoy them. after having it on draft, and in a bottle, it's good either way. 1 of my favorite beers.

01-15-2014 22:18:41 | More by JayBarnes10
reebtaerG

Maryland

A-pours a light creamy orange color with a one finger white head
S- an overall smell of pumpkin, cinnamon and spices
T-great creamy pumpkin flavor toasted spice
M- very well balanced
O-this beer is what every other brewer is trying to become. Can't believe ABV it's hidden well

11-28-2013 02:30:30 | More by reebtaerG
chrishiker1409

4.1/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

By far one of the most interesting beers I have ever had. I believe this is about as close as one will get to drinking a pumpkin pie.

A- A golden amber, little to no head.

S- The smell had weak notes of vanilla and pumpkin. The aroma did not hit me very hard.

T- Very pumpkinny. Lots and lots of pumpkin. Some cinnamon and vanilla. The taste lines the tongue and sits with you for awhile.

M- Moderate to high carbonation. Lays thick on the tongue. I like the feel of this beer.

O- A great, interesting pumpkin beer. It's great in small doses. The alcohol really hit me. I prefer Schlafly's, but I'd definitely hit this up again and will look forward to this on a yearly basis.

10-20-2013 20:32:26 | More by chrishiker1409
GreaseShark

4.36/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

A-Pours a brilliant orange color like a fresh pumpkin, frothy white head with loads of bubbles throughout.

S-Fresh baked pumpkin pie, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla ice cream seriously delicious to smell

T-Pumking is right this is not light on the flavor of pumpkin, nutmeg and cinnamon is there as well as a kind of vanilla cream taste.

M-Good throughout medium body, to me it has a bit of a sharp finish that im not particularly fond of maybe from the spice, flavor hangs around for a bit which is nice makes me want to comeback for more.

O- My favorite pumpkin beer, it's one i get excited to drink for both the flavor and the time of the year it signifies. Delicious taste, beautiful color.

10-16-2013 15:25:46 | More by GreaseShark
ExtraStout

3.64/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark orange color with little head and retention. However the orange is pumpkin orange and the color is awesome. The nose is like pumpkin pie. I smell allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, pumkin, and vanilla extract.

I can appreciate the pumkin spice in the beer but there is a problem, too much spice and I got a somewhat lingering citrusy bitterness. I aslo feel that the pumpkin flavoring of the beer just isn't very good but I'm not a Pumpkin beer guy.

This beer has a somewhat sticky mouthfeel. I'd like a bigger malt body to go with the pumpkin spice. Somehow, this beer just doesn't do it for me but it is the best Pumpkin I've ever tried. I knew I'd be okay just because it was from Southern Tier.

10-09-2013 21:23:58 | More by ExtraStout
JMScowcroft

Vermont

3.71/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Southern Tier Brewing Company - Pumking, served on-tap into a pint glass.

Look - Pours a clear filtered deep copper amber with a small foamy head. Rambunctious bubbles. Not sure why everyone feels the need to filter fruit beers but whatever, it is what it is.

Smell - Malty with a faint hint of pumpkin. No spice. Glad to see no spice but a little concerned with the lack of pumpkin pie aroma. Pint glasses aren't known for aroma enhancement so I didn't take off much here.

Taste - Small note of pumpkin creaminess but otherwise more malty. It's a good ale but it's not really what I was looking for here, I wanted creamy pumpkin pie without a spice overload, hard to find a happy medium this year. Reviews say how sweet and pie-like this is, but it really isn't compared to other offerings, it's more malty sweet than pumpkin sweet.

Mouthfeel - Rests dry and is rather drinkable. Not overly boozy even though it's a beast in terms of ABV. Moderate to heavy carbonation but it goes down smooth. This was its best trait.

Overall - This is a good solid ale but I didn't feel that it was a great pumpkin brew, just good. It wasn't gross or overpowering in any way, but it did seem slightly lacking in pumpkin blast. I'm not sure I get this interpretation but it was well constructed and I appreciate that much of it.

09-23-2013 12:12:51 | More by JMScowcroft
Brezzy24

Great tasting beer with a ABV of 8.6 % you can't go wrong. My favorite Pumpkin Ale so far. No need for that caramel sugar rim to enhance flavor not overly sweet just enough spice. This is the seasonal beer you want to be drinking. You can find it on tap at the Village Traven in Salem, MA

09-22-2013 20:41:37 | More by Brezzy24
withliterature

2.78/5  rDev -31.5%

I can see why a lot of people enjoy this beer: it smells like pumpkin pie! I rarely like pumpkin beers for this exact reason. I want them to taste like pumpkin, the vegetable, not pumpkin pie, the dessert.

The taste is better than the overpowering scent. This beer smells like margarine, nutmeg, and cinnamon. The flavor is more neutral, but I can't say that it tastes like beer. The mouthfeel and appearance are both nice.

I won't be asking for this again. I prefer Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale because it's more vegetal and less dessert-scented. This beer would be great for someone who doesn't mind a sweeter beer with some artificial notes.

09-20-2013 22:58:35 | More by withliterature
rhamning

4.66/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this at Mellow Mushroom on tap after we spent a warm day at the Cincinnati Zoo with our granddaughter. This was my first Pumpkin beer and I was overwhelmed! A second glass was even better.

Served in a tulip glass chilled, appearance was mildly cloudy, bright orange, amber color with a wonderful pumpkin, nutmeg and cinnamon aroma. Smooth, clean, refreshing. I had the White Gourmet pizza and the combination worked well. The taste was true pumpkin with a nice nutmeg and cinnamon undertone. Perhaps the day in the sun visiting every animal display (yes, every one) set me up to enjoy any cold beverage, but I do not think so. This was a delightful beer that I would recommend. (A subsequent purchase of the same in a bottle produced a less enthusiastic but still positive experience.)

09-20-2013 01:18:05 | More by rhamning
Halvin

1.65/5  rDev -59.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1

Had this beer on tap at sweet cheeks, outside Fenway park last night. It was the first beer I ever sent back. To me, it tasted just like I would imagine a Fenway park urinal would taste. Try it for yourself - I handed the beer around the table and 3 of my friends agreed with me. It has an articial sweet mintiness that overwhelmed any subtle pumpkin notes. though one of my friends actually thought it was decent, tasting pie - which I see some other reviewers also noted.

09-19-2013 11:52:40 | More by Halvin
lancecenter

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

On tap at Pinthouse Pizza in Austin, TX.

A - Pale orange with minimal head that quickly dissipates. No lacing.

S - Pumpkin, obviously.

T/M - Sweet pumpkin, dry finish.

O - First pumpkin beer I've ever liked. Guess I've been drinking the wrong ones!

09-14-2013 21:16:33 | More by lancecenter
mntlover

Tennessee

4.16/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a pale orange color clear with small white bar pour head. Lacing is good for a pumpkin.

Aroma is lots of pumpkin and normal pumpkin spices. Crisp clean nose light and inviting.

Taste is good malt light caramel and good pumpkin notes up front. Good spice in the middle with some light alcohol notes that go well. Finish is lingering spice and alcohol esters that go well. An enjoyable almost imperial pumpkin. Good start to fall.

Mouth feel medium with medium carbonation.

Overall found this enjoyable maybe its just the pretty day but would recommend this one he'll might be more enjoyable then DFH.

09-10-2013 22:32:13 | More by mntlover
Dulachan92

Had this on tap, after hearing all sorts of hype from friends and beer-enthusiasts.

This might actually be one of the worst beers I've ever tasted. I can honestly say that I enjoyed Yuengling Light more than I enjoyed this. Had I bought a bottle of it, it might have actually qualified for my first drain-pour-beer of all time.

Appearance: couldn't take too good of a look due to the dimly lit bar, but it seemed to be a fairly nice copper color. Couldn't tell if I just had a shitty bartender or if it was inherent to the beer, but I had no head whatsoever.

Smell: I get a HUGE whiff of cinnamon and graham cracker, maybe a bit of bread and nutmeg. Quite honestly, nothing that pleasant. None of these aromas really come together in a coherent or enticing manner. Not impressed.

Taste: a little bit of bitterness mixed with a HORRID creamed-corn flavor. I get the cinnamon and nutmeg, and maybe a little bit of graham cracker, but to be quite honest, the creamed-corn flavor is undeniable. If somebody had blindfolded me and not told me that I were supposed to be drinking a pumpkin beer, I would NEVER even consider it for a second.

Mouthfeel: a little bit watery, but disgustingly sweet at the same time - less in the flavor, but more in the sense that this beer felt grainy and almost disgustingly sweet. Each sip was, quote honestly, painful.

Overall: save yourself the money. This beer honestly gets by on its reputation alone. I cannot fathom why anybody would be impressed by this brew, but alas, to each their own.

09-06-2013 06:14:12 | More by Dulachan92
lindsaylandeen

I love pumpkin beers and this one took the cake. As soon as you hold it up to drink it the smell of fall goodness is right there! I have tried many different ones and this is hands down my fav. Southern Tier is one of my favorite brewery's. I just recently found them and have liked everything i have tried. I'm not sure how I missed them!

08-22-2013 18:54:48 | More by lindsaylandeen
RWLawman

4.74/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - Hazy orange with a prominent head displaying good retention.

S - Probably the best feature of this beer. The odor is heavily dominated by pumpkin, followed by the presence of brown sugar and faint malts.

T - Best described as pumpkin pie in liquid form. Very sweet flavor which, like the nose, is heavily dominated by pumpkin and followed up by brown sugar. There is the slightest hint of alcohol on the back as well, but certainly nothing offensive about this beer. Delicious.

M - Moderate mouth feel. Enough to coat your mouth. Consistent.

O - Outstanding offering by Southern Tier. I'll look for this every fall.

08-20-2013 02:35:50 | More by RWLawman
DeFaz

4.26/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

What a great beer. The nose is full of pumpkin and nutmeg flavors that aren't timid. When sipping, there's immediately the pumpkin and strong nutmeg and other spices with dryness from hops coming in later. This isn't so much about the malt as other pumpkin ales seem to be. This is also stronger than most pumpkin ales I've had, and yet the alcohol is masked masterfully. The hop presence tastes good, and while it may be just a bit too dry and while the the spices may be a bit too strong, this is one great beer. For as strong and bold as it is, it goes down oh so easy.

08-11-2013 02:43:02 | More by DeFaz
Smurf2055

Washington

3.89/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Bottleworks for Halloween in May.

Very clear orange with minimal head,

Smell is graham cracker, cinnamon, nutmeg, spices, pumpkin, sweet.

Taste is like pumpkin pie, spices, a bit bittersweet, bready, fuller bodied.

It is good, but it is not as drinkable as Great Pumpkin. It is a fantastic pumpkin beer, but like a lot of Southern Tier’s stuff, it should be enjoyed in smaller quantities, or split between a few people.

08-03-2013 06:27:10 | More by Smurf2055
Axnjxn

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

on tap at beer study in chapel hill. into a snifter.

pours a light orangish color with a nice head. smell is definitely big on pumpkins and nutmeg, just what I was looking for in this kind of beer. taste is up front sweet pumpkin and big on the nutmeg, but the pumpkin is actually very apparent. a rarity in pumpkin beers honestly. criminally easy to drink, lighter side of medium bodied with mild carbonation. you'd guess 5 or 6% , not 8.6.

overall the best pumpkin beer I've had. very impressive.

07-31-2013 21:08:59 | More by Axnjxn
righteousbucks

Georgia

This is by far my favorite beer that I have tasted. The Pumking is the perfect drink during the fall with great pumpkin, cinnamon, and vanilla flavors. Great to have with dinner or just having a casual drink. I can't wait until this is on tap again!

06-11-2013 00:01:08 | More by righteousbucks
Ford

I'm not sure what the brothers were thinking on this one..ha.

Nobi Public House in Webster, Texas hosted a special event yesterday and brought this out. I made time to be there to try it and a couple of other hard to get brews.

This one was easily my favorite. WOW!

I wasn't sure if I'd like having a pumpkin ale in the spring, but I'd drink this one year round. What a treat.

The smell and taste are just perfect on this beer. I love Saint Arnold Pumpkinator... and I feel this beer even leaves it behind in the pumpkin category.. though they are quite different to look at and taste even.

Overall scale of deliciousness.... EXTREMELY DELICIOUS!

So glad Southern Tier is now available in Texas!

04-21-2013 13:34:35 | More by Ford
StonedTrippin

Colorado

4.1/5  rDev +1%

this beer is a polarizer for sure, but if you like pumpkin beers, youve got to love pumking! it pours a very understated pale pumpkin color, right on que, with a few inches of lazy and patient white foam. the nose is incredible, as much like a christmas cookie as a pumpkin pie, this beer has staying power beyond fall into the holiday season because of its unique spice bouquet, which prominently features clove, vanilla, and allspice. there is less squashy aromatics and forward flavors in the draft version than from the bottle, im not sure why. it still tastes like fresh raw pumpkin, but i think the spices intensify in the keg somehow. its still well balanced, with sweet cookie malt and gentle cinnamon up front and the vegetable spice finish on the back end without all the sugary vibes woud expect. the alcohol is also dangerously well disguised. the mouthfeel i thought was also exceptional, really smooth but not heavy at all for a beer of this magnitude. overall one of the best pumpkin beers out, and not least because of its wide seasonal appeal. amazingly well made, this could be southern tiers best offering.

12-18-2012 17:24:49 | More by StonedTrippin
bigolbeerbelly

4.93/5  rDev +21.4%

A: dark reddish brown. Left a tannish head that hung around a while. Excellent lacing.

S: very spicy. Smells like clove nutmeg cinnamon. Pumpkin pie all the way.

T: delicious best pumpkin ale I've ever had hands down. The high gravity sweetness really comes out and blends perfectly with the spices to create an authentic pumpkin pie beer.

M:thick and creamy like an imperial spiced beer should be

O: one of my favorite beers of all time

12-13-2012 23:07:21 | More by bigolbeerbelly
Yetti

4.93/5  rDev +21.4%

I love this beer. In my opinion there isn't another pumpkin that even comes close. It has such a wonderful aroma that you can't help but take huge mouthfuls. In comparison, most other pumpkins smell and taste either utterly empty and without substance, or fake, as if they used nothing but artificial flavors.

A - Golden, toasty brown, yet still somewhat light. Nicely opaque with a medium-small head and light lacing.

S - The aroma immediately hits in you in the face. It's unlike any other beer in the way it allows each flavor to come through. It has all the usual suspects that you expect from both an autumn and pumpkin beer. It's an engrossing aroma that you won't forget.

T - It's just damn delicious. I don't generally lean toward sweet, but this perfectly captures what a pumpkin pie tastes like without being cloyingly sweet. It still tastes like beer. As with the aroma, the pumpkin, nutmeg and all the rest shine through. The mouthfeel is light and clean as is the finish, but it stays with you after each taste.

0 - Within it's category, this beer is unrivaled. I'd go on to say that this beer dominates in it's category unlike any other beer. They're may be room for improvement, but I hope Southern Tier doesn't break what isn't broken.

11-30-2012 00:39:47 | More by Yetti
B33R501

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

what's this? an actual southern tier beer i may purchase again? yes creme brulee smells incredible, but a one and done. along with their mediocre choklat, mokah, their terrible harvest ale and the absolute worst barrel aged beer ive had, whatever it was called, backwoods?, wait, let me look it up ... oh, backburner. wow that beer was awful. but i digress.

pretty beer, this was the last beer yesterday after a bourbon county and a fresh pint of high tide, along with capones hot wings my taste buds have been hammered. but this was delicious, drinkable and i gotta try it again on a fresh palate.

big smooth malty blast of i would swear more chocolate and nuts than pumpkin, not sweet at all like their other beers. lots of peanut butter pumpkin flavor (is that a flavor?). wow this was very good.

fantastic on tap, maybe i will try a bottle.

11-02-2012 14:39:38 | More by B33R501