Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 08-26-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
3.56/5  rDev -12.3%

invalid665, Tuesday at 06:05 PM
4.8/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

jonrdunn, Tuesday at 05:35 PM

Michael0311, Tuesday at 04:29 PM

Jmolenda, Tuesday at 10:23 AM

craigdb, Tuesday at 03:45 AM
3.54/5  rDev -12.8%

BeerSnobery, Tuesday at 03:26 AM
3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

rudeone, Tuesday at 02:21 AM

Pours a orangey honey color. Smells great. Sweet and spicy. Tastes of pumpkin but it isn't over the top. You can pick up the spices but they aren't overwhelming either. It had this sweetness on the back end. Almost like a cookie. Butter maybe. It was unique. I liked what it offered at the end. It was different enough that I enjoyed drinking the bomber trying to figure out what I was having. Good pumpkin beer.

Brackh, Tuesday at 01:21 AM
4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Had this beer last year on tap, and loved it. Went to buy in after Haloween and it was sold out. This year I went to my favorite beer store and the price was almost $9.00/bottle. Needless to say I'll be waiting to buy it on tap.

Kwojcik, Tuesday at 12:08 AM
3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

cnagle28, Monday at 11:48 PM
3.25/5  rDev -20%

mike_dawson, Monday at 11:41 PM
4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

Mweinberg627, Monday at 11:22 PM
4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Sadie got a bomber of this for me for my birthday. I've been saving it until it was closer to Halloween. Drank it last night while watching the Simpson's Treehouse of Horror. Great pumpkin pie flavor with a considerable alcohol warmth. Probably the best pumpkin beer so far.

DuffDaddy, Monday at 05:05 PM

SouthernBuckeye, Monday at 02:23 AM
3.79/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22 oz. bomber

I had this brew some years ago, never really reviewing it. Today is the day I tick this brew. I use the word tick so lightly. Ok, describe this brew to those who might be interested in drinking it yet want feedback before dishing out the $$! I will keep it simple and to the point for people to understand.

First things first, the pour! This brew pours very light for being an 8 % brew. Very bright orange body, medium clarity and hazy. Tight, white fizzy head that made a roar but then faded into a simple lacing around my chalice. The appearance is quite outstanding.

Next step is the aroma. The way this brew smells is outstanding. Very dominant vanilla with a kiss of nuttiness in the background. Nutmeg and other spicies only tease the beer holder. Not really adding a whole depth to the brew.Yet that vanilla is banging!

The flavor is Good. I'm not being wowed or anything of that nature, yet its not offensively bad neither. First this hits the taste buds with pumpkin spices and vanilla. Pie crust is in there aswell adding a nice texture to the overall spice characteristics. Toffee notes flow further down after the swallow and a little hop bitterness captures the sides of the palate, leaving an earthy tobacco flavor. This finishes slightly bitter and wet. Lingering toffee and spices with a toasted nut flavor in the aftertaste. The body is light yet very flexable with a very poppy carbonation.

Overall: I seem to enjoy this beer more while it warms up. At first this brew is lightly flavored. Yet it does improve while it warms. I'm not being wowed by this by any means. While I'm not being impressed, it is a well crafted brew. Not offensive yet not breaking the boundaries in Pumpkin beers. At the end of the day and personal opinions are rested. This brew is Worthy.

Shroud0fdoom, Monday at 01:53 AM

22oz bomber in a small glass at fridge temps

Appearance:poured a clear and orangeish yellow color with a very energetic head of fine bubbles that stayed till the end of the glass.

Nose: cooked rice, pumpkin, spices, clove, honey, bready

Taste: clean and refreshing, not heavy like I would expect something of Imperial strength would be, light pumpkin flavor, slight bitterness, very dry, not as spiced as I would have expected in a pumpkin ale. No alcohol taste at all. Slight spiciness in the back of my throat after drinking this one (not pleasant, kind of like a sore throat and I'm not sick at all).

Maybe it's just me but I like pumpkin/harvest ales to have a punch-you-in-the-face pumpkin and spice flavor. This one is just lacking that extra pumpkin-ness I'm looking for. It's good but not there for me. For an 8.6% ale, I would also expect some kind of a kick from the higher gravity. I probably wouldn't get this one again.

ClavisAurea, Monday at 01:35 AM