1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 08-26-2007)
Ratings: 4,697 | Reviews: 1,669 | Show All Ratings:
PumkingBeau

4.66/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4 growlers later and going to hit the Pittsburgh beer distributors for the 7 cases I have on order across two beer distributors. Hard to get yet only 2 and 1/2 hours away from where we live. So we make the pilgrimage up to the brewery at least 3 times over the Autumn season. We haven't even hit September yet and have hit the brewery 3 times...Yo Bitch. So the scoop is, ST will have bottles weekend of Labor Day, for now it's $5 glasses and Growlers. So we are getting primed for the upcoming season. The Warlock which comes out in September should be tasty, I'm already thinking Black & Orange with the King /Warlock. Actually had some King left at the bottom of a growler which sat for 2 weeks in the fridge... Talk about taste coming out... Yeah it lost carbonation Bitches but the flavor was 10 times more intense... This beer winters well. If you read this far on more piece of TRIVIA... ST made more Pumking this year than they did of all their beers in 2011, this from the wife of one of the owners.

08-21-2013 22:23:27 | More by PumkingBeau
sammygt

Georgia

4.54/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer has a great dark orange color, and tastes exactly like pumpkin bread, and its delicious. i have recently fallen out of love with many pumpkin beers, but this one was pretty different and interesting. i really enjoyed it, and it was really well done as a pumpkin (bread) beer. Also it smelled like pumpkin and spices, kind of like the house smells after you bake some pumpkin bread.

02-06-2013 17:11:59 | More by sammygt
jayfolly

Georgia

4.18/5  rDev +3%

This became my go to pumpkin ale in October. I have only had it via growler so I can't vouch for the taste from any other container.

The smell of the beer is exactly like pumpkin pie. I'm not a great reviewer of beers but the taste was a little bit of a let down after such a great initial opening experience. The aftertaste is good, clean and spicy.

At over 8% abv it is a little heavy but still remains my favorite pumpkin ale. I can't wait until next fall!

01-19-2013 02:56:12 | More by jayfolly
barczar

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a clear golden light copper color with a quarter inch cream head that dissipates into nothing.

Graham cracker, ginger, cinnamon, and pumpkin comprise the aroma, with clove, a touch of orange peel, and diacetyl adding intrigue. Vanilla comes into play late.

Ginger, butter, and graham cracker dominate the flavor, with cinnamon, clove, and a pumpkin finish rounding out the flavor profile. It's pretty sweet, with underlying caramel malt flavor on the cloying side.

Body is thick and syrupy, with moderate carbonation, and significant alcohol warmth.

The diacetyl and graham cracker flavors that are intentionally added are the icing on the cake that really make this beer pumpkin pie in a glass.

11-24-2012 03:32:57 | More by barczar
CAP1868

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured from a growler I purchased at "Greene's Fine Food's" in Decatur Georgia.

A- Appearance is really orange. This brew had no real head to speak of and zero lacing throughout consumption.

S-Smells of spices, but mostly all pumpkin notes. I don't really smell cloves or anything else but the pumpkin and maybe some cinnamon. Really great.

T-AMAZING. Seriously this is like pumpkin pie in a glass. Starts with pumpkin upfront and finishes clean with more pumpkin and a touch of cinnamon. No alcohol burn for it being such a high ABV% at 8.60.

M-Mouthfeel is light, which is highly surprising since most fall/pumpkin offerings tend to be a bit heavier. Low carbonation makes this a brew I could consume a few of.

O-Quite possibly one of the best pumpkin ales I have ever had. I highly recommend this brew to anyone who likes pumpkin ales. EXCELLENT!

10-06-2012 23:48:09 | More by CAP1868
Wolfee02

I made it a goal to try as many pumpkin ales as I could last year. I got around to trying about 10 of them and this beer was the best of them all! I am starting my BA career by reviewing my two favorite beers ever GL Christmas Ale and Southern Tier Pumking. I was excited to pick up a growler of this and yes it is August and I hope to have this world class pumpkin ale while sitting by the fire in October. The appearance is orange with kind of a brown tint. It smells like pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving day while watching the Lions! I get a scent of sweet cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin. This world class brew tastes Exactly like it smells. It is the most flavorful pumpkin ale I have tried. It is smooth, sweet, majestic and not bitter at all! I recommend this for anyone who wants to try an amazing fall seasonal beer! It is truly one of a kind. I look forward to trying more Southern Tier beers! At 8.6 % it warms you up on a cool fall night.

08-28-2012 08:17:49 | More by Wolfee02
adamette

4.78/5  rDev +17.7%

Live review. Poured from the growler that I bought at World Wines & Liquor in Mentor, Ohio a few weeks ago for $18.99 into a clean, clear pint glass. Here’s hoping that it has remained fresh!

A Translucent ....well....pumpkin colored body with a brief but creamy smooth head riding on top. I believe that I recall more cloudiness to the body and a more silky smooth, creamy head from the bottle and from the brewery on tap but the look is still at least fair for the style. 3.5

S I am happy to report that all of the lovely smell is there. I personally love the smell of this great beer. Overall it is sweet but it is a mixture of pumpkin pie, pie crust, pumpkin pie spices (...allspice, cinnamon?) and very little hops. The smell is (pardon the pun) intoxicating and it really has always made me want to drink it even more! It is my favorite Pumpkin beer smell for sure. I cannot imagine improving it. 5.0

T Just love this taste as well. The big sweetness of pumpkin, spices and the dough of a great pumpkin pie are all there with the addition of just a slight hops bitterness, maybe some caramel and then a slight burn of alcohol. All of it conspires to amount to simply a great Pumpkin beer. Pumpkin beer was not a style I enjoyed very much until I had a Southern Tier Pumpking and after enjoying it on tap, in bottles and now from a growler I can safely say that it does not disappoint. 5.0

M Despite its elevated ABV, its strong and interesting tastes and significant sweetness this beer has a rather smooth mouthfeel. I believe that I recall that the bottled version was probably more smooth but only incrementally. I believe that it deserves a higher rating for mouthfeel because normally such a big, sweet beer would not carry with it such a smooth mouthfeel. Certainly not other pumpkin beers with this ABV are not as smooth. 4.5

D I have had three pints since starting this review about 10 minutes ago. I find it very drinkable considering its relative size, ABV and sweetness. It might be my favorite predominantly sweet beer. Overall this is a great beer. 4.5

11-29-2011 03:55:39 | More by adamette
scootny

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Wow, what a beer. Growler is a month old and just seems to have held up well. Taste compares well to a glass I had on tap. Very large and impressive head that settles after a while and leave a light covering. Some lace in spots. The smell of this one sets the bar for the style. Lots of pumpkin and spice. Nutmeg is big with allspice and cinnamon as well. A large graham crust take on the malt which is huge. This nose has me salivating and looking for ice or whipped cream. There is a faint alcohol edge that gives a mild sharpness. Taste is big pumpkin and spice. A sharpness pierces the perfect impression of pie for me, the hops combining to make a super dry and clean finish that combines with the pumpkin and spice to hang a bit too aggressively in the back of my throat. Not a deal breaker but it mars the overall smoothness of what is really a remarkable beer. The malt is so supportive and deliciously caramel bready. The pumpkin flavors fly and take wing atop this beautiful platform. Feel is surprisingly light as the flavors give notice to the weight. Carbonation just, ( I mean just ) off target as I would prefer a tiny bit more given the sugary sweetness to help break it up. Splitting hairs here. Still a good feeling beer. You are not gonna be sessioning this one, too strong, too intense. Just a great imperial pumpkin ale. Rich and yummy. Not perfect but so close that if this is as close as it gets I wont be crying.

11-28-2011 03:37:40 | More by scootny
coastiefish

Oregon

4.93/5  rDev +21.4%

Autumn, 2011.
Poured into a tulip glassware

A- Lively bubbles, Beautiful bright orange, slightly cloudy. Not much of a head at all.

S- This has got to be one of my favorite noses. Big Bread, pumpkin, nutmeg. rich, full and savory. Biscuit malt.

T- Delightful. Pumpkin pie. The bread and biscuit nose follow through in the flavors.

M- Creamy and carbonated, more carbonated than I recall from last year.

O- Great Brew. Best Pumpkin of the Year, again. Get one now.

10-23-2011 00:38:55 | More by coastiefish
deadonhisfeet

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Nice clear copper color. Nice head with decent retention. The nose says ``I'm sweet and creamy and someone definitely put nutmeg in me''. It smells like a cream soda.

Taste is outasite. There is a nice, velvety malty sweetness accompanied by a nice pumpkin and spice flavor and a very pronounced vanilla cream flavor. The flavor is nicely balanced and there's a satisfying hop bite at the finish.

I finally managed to get my grubby hands on this beer. After reading so many rave reviews, I am happy to report that it did not disappoint in the slightest. For me, every pumpkin beer I drink will be compared to Schlafly's (my personal favorite). This one, while not as good as Schlafly's in my opinion, was good enough and different enough to make me want to pick up a few more bottles. I'm saving one for Halloween night. Boo!

09-17-2011 17:41:52 | More by deadonhisfeet
beerman207

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Had a bottle of this a year or so ago. Fnally got a chance to try it on growler. Needed a good brew after class and this fit the bill.

A- golden brown, white fluffy head. Clear as the morning sky.

S- smell is strong pumpkin, nutmeg, and malt in the nose

T- taste is as close as you get to pumpkin pie in a beer. Fantastic.

M- mouthfeel is medium carbonation. Easy to drink.

O- overall, this is a fantastic representation of the style. On draft, I cn say this is the best pumpkin ale I have ever tasted.

09-16-2011 02:19:53 | More by beerman207
gskitt

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

I have wanted to try Pumking for a while and bought it in a growler. Had a sample at the store.
The color was a rusty orange with an off-white head that lasted only briefly. The scent is what may entice people to try this beer. Super pumpkin pie spice on the nose and it matches the taste. All too often the scent of a beer does not correlate with the taste of the beer. This one does.
As mentioned, loads of pumpkin pie spice, warm and roasty nutty flavors with a hint of vanilla?
You definitely feel the ABV at play here. It is a drinkable beer for the ABV (9.0%), but can that can sneak up on you.
The mouthfeel is surprisingly pleasant.
All together and Southern Tier has put together a heavy weight pumpkin ale that I'd buy again without hesitation.

09-26-2010 21:59:31 | More by gskitt
gilman

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Had this in a growler, went back next day for a refill
This was good poured orange, a full tan creamy head
Smelled of spices, pumpkin pie and caramel
Tasted pretty much the same as it smelt but little pumpkin
Strong alcohol flavor yet very smooth and warming

09-19-2010 21:59:12 | More by gilman
AdamGarcia

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Growler served in shaker pint.

A: Clear straw color with hints of orange and gold. Small head fizzles out very quickly, which is a function of this being served from a growler. This beer does have a nice head initially when served on tap. Either way, it's never a visually stunning beer.

S: Reminds me of pumpkin roll pastry or pumpkin cookies. Nutmeg and cinnamon. Maybe some allspice. Graham cracker. A little vanilla extract. Suggestions of pumpkin, but no actual pumpkin. Malt and hop scents are virtually non-existent. Very aromatic.

T: Starts off with a quick dose of pumpkin flesh. Crackery malt. Pumpkin pie spice. Hop bitterness makes an appearance. Just a hint of booze (more than I remember from last year). Lingering finish is straight up pumpkin pie, but just a bit of astringency hangs around long after.

M: Carbonation is a little off. It seems too prickly. If the mouthfeel was a little more viscous I would rate higher.

D: Moderate. High ABV and intense flavor make this a sipper. This growler will take several sessions to finish.

I always look forward to pumpkin beers. I'm not as crazy about Pumking as some folks are, but I do enjoy it. Something about this seasons brew makes it slightly less enjoyable than last years version. Of the handful of pumpkin beers I've sampled this year I think Smuttynose has been my favorite.

09-19-2010 01:37:54 | More by AdamGarcia
skenyon1811

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

1/2 Gallon Growler poured into a pint.

A: Clear Amber color with a slightly orangish hint. About half an inch of head. Left a nice coating on top the beer.

S: A maltly and sweet taste with spicy notes. The malt has a buttery smell to it, like the crust on a pumpkin pie. Excellent aroma, I want my house to smell like this.

T: There is no doubt about it, this beer tastes strong. You can taste the alcohol, but that is not a bad thing. It adds to the flavor. This is unlike any pumpkin ale I have had. Most pumpkin ales taste like just beer with spices, it's a hard style to do well. This has those spices but with a nice smooth malt taste that meld really well together. The malts used give it this flavor like buttery flaky pie crust. It's like liquid pumpkin pie. It has a hop bite to it finish it off. This is just an excellently balanced beer.

M: Medium mouthfeel with low carbonation, which I believe adds to this great fall beer.

D: Personally I could drink this beer all the time, however due to the higher alcohol content some people may only have one or two.

This is one of the best fall beers around. It is so unique and tasty, I think that any type of beer drinker should give it a shot.

09-14-2010 20:46:23 | More by skenyon1811
Mag00n

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

far and away my favorite pumpking beer, and im a huge pumpkin beer guy

A: pours an attractive dark orange/dark amber color. One finger head with some lacing

S: the folks at southern tier are the masters of getting a beer to smell amazing, and this beer is the shining example. An olfactory masterpiece. The smell is pumpkin pie with a graham cracker spice, occompanied by all the usual pumpkin pie spices, mostly nutmeg and vanilla

T: amazingly, the taste is not far off from the smell. I taste pumpkin(of course), nutmeg, graham cracker, vanilla, carrot, and a few other spices. Its unlike any other pumpkin beer i drink.

M: this is not a heavy beer by any means, but it isnt too thin either.

D: i gave it a relatively low drinkability, not because its not the best pumpkin beer ive ever had, because it is, but because the spices and tastes are so unique and overwhelming that i really wouldnt want more than one. This is a special occasion beer, not something you have every day. I keep a stash for halloween and thanksgiving.

08-05-2009 02:06:57 | More by Mag00n
BuffaloBill91

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

This beer impressed me...not a big fan of fruit beers but is pumpkin even a fruit? i dont know... but anyway I felt in a halloweeny mood and I saw this one on growler and had to have it... After having it--I want to share it with others--to bad my growler kicked their keg- this would be great for the table at thanksgiving.

appearance - nice golden to almost orange color- kind of the color of pumpkin...not to much carbonation in the beer- nice head settles slowly to some lacing on the glass...

smell- absolutely smells like a pumpkin pie - pumpkin cinnamon and nutmeg .. It couldn't smell anything closer without a pie tin. It makes we want to ask to wife to bake one for me---the smell couldn't be more inviting its hard not to just hurry up and drink it

taste- It tastes similar to how it smells - definite pumpkin can taste a nice hint of cinnamon along with lots of spices...if there is anything i dont love about it it that its got a bit of a sour toward the back of the tongue- I like beers bitter not sour- but thats personal preference- otherwise top notch taste.

mouthfeel- nice smooth brew - it is surprisingly a medium to lighter bodied beer and it gives me a bit of a tingle on the tip of my tongue but very little carbonation

Drinkability- well since this is my first glass I cant say I can down this entire growler because this beer has some pretty strong tastes in it but it is by far the easiest drinking 9.0abv I have ever had for sure. I agree with others it is very drinkable and therefore very dangerous.

10-05-2007 03:36:49 | More by BuffaloBill91
BuckyBeerBeaver

Ontario (Canada)

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Looking for a good Thanksgiving beer, Bucky was pointed in the direction of Southern Tier Brewing Company's Imperial Pumking ("Pumking") by a fellow craft beer enthusiast. In operation since late 2002, Southern Tier Brewing of Lakewood, New York, has grown to produce around 50,000 barrels of beer annually. Its hand crafted ales are now available in more than half of the United States, as well as parts of Australia, Denmark, Japan, the Philippines, Singapore, Ontario, British Columbia, and the United Kingdom.

Founders Phineas DeMink and Allen Yahn started the brewery with equipment purchased from the Old Saddleback Brewing Co. in Pittsfield, Massachusetts. Southern Tier began production in the Stoneman Business Park just outside of Lakewood, New York, and by 2003, select varieties of small batch ales were distributed locally. By 2005, sales covered the majority of New York State and Pennsylvania, and in 2009 a new 20,000 square foot facility was built for the purpose of brewing innovative, high-quality beer to accommodate an expanding customer base. Throughout 2010, it became clear that more beer needed to be produced, and 800 barrels of fermentation vessels were added to the production area and a 7,500 square foot addition was added for use as a conditioning room. The constantly running brew house was also expanded and updated.

Bucky purchased Pumking from his local LCBO in a brown, 650 ml bottle with a bottling date of July 11, 2012. Pumking has been brewed since 2007, and is 8.6% alcohol by volume. Pumking poured a hazy dark orange colour, with the orange becoming much brighter when backlit. A fairly aggressive pour produced about 1" of fizzy white head, which burned itself out within 3 minutes, leaving no spotting or lacing. The beer's aroma was wonderful; pumpkin pie spices and graham cracker pie crust...I swear! Its taste was sweet and dominated by the graham cracker pie crust, with distinct pumpkin pie spice flavours and maybe just a hint of vanilla. No bitterness here at all. Pumking was characterized by a medium level of carbonation, just right for its type, and a smooth mouth feel. It is light to medium bodied, but actually feels a bit heavier than it is due to the rich flavours. At $8.95 per 650 ml bottle the price tag is fairly steep, but a few bottles as a seasonal indulgence won't break the bank. Overall, I can't wait until next fall for the new seasonal batch!

04-13-2014 22:57:28 | More by BuckyBeerBeaver
EvoRich

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

I heard Pumking referred to as the absolute best autumn/pumpkin ale there is. I ran across this in a cooler at a bar in the month of February 2014. Bottle date was July 2013. So it wasn't "fresh" as I'm sure this ale is meant to be tasted. But I had to try it anyway.

Look: Orange. Head was white and foamy.

Smell: Pure pumpkin pie. Cinnamon, sugar, spice, nutmeg. The smell of thanksgiving dessert.

Taste: Pumpkin pie, for sure. A little buttery actually which isn't a good thing. Not sure if this is due to being a little old. But regardless, it wasn't a huge setback, as the pumpkin and cinnamon flavors were dominant. Sweeter than any pumpkin ale I've had previously.

Mouthfeel: Pretty creamy, which was a surprise. I expected this to be much thinner. I'd say it's medium bodied.

Overall: Thus far, best pumpkin ale I've had. I'd love to try one fresh, and in season, as I believe in season may have a placebo effect. My brain will tell me it's better in October or November, just because.

04-05-2014 01:23:02 | More by EvoRich
smurf5520

In my opinion, Pumking is hands down, the best beer in the world. If it has ever been taken into outer space, it's probably the best beer there too. And it's not just it's "pie-in-a-glass" taste.

As your glass comes toward you, you first experience the beautiful color, then the wonderful aroma and then the perfect taste. Mouth feel is good too. If you like to just enjoy 1 or 2 beers, Pumking has substantial ABV that lessens the need for multiples.

It must be tough to brew a good pumpkin ale because I have tasted so many bad ones. There are none better than Southern Tier Pumking.

02-28-2014 18:13:17 | More by smurf5520
asaharyev

4.34/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The aroma has big, bready malts up front, with a good amount of pumpkin to back it up. It smells almost like zucchini bread, with a bit of a sweet corn aroma as well. The flavor has more of the pumpkin up front, with the malts taking a back seat. Tons of cinnamon and clove come through as well, and the higher alcohol content makes itself apparent. The mouthfeel is a bit chewy, so this beer is kind of like a pumpkin pie in a glass. One of the best pumpkin beers.

02-16-2014 15:56:21 | More by asaharyev
RAlmeida77

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%

Hands down, my favorite Pumpkin Ale. This beer is pumpkin pie in a glass, and it smells that way too.

It pours with a dark, amber color and just fills the air with the scents of pumpkin, nutmeg and other wonderful spices. I could smell this all day long and be happy! The aroma leads to you expecting a taste that is similar and the taste doesn't disappoint. Very good flavor of pumpkin, nutmeg and spices....simply delicious. As drinkable as this beer is, it tends to be a little heavy for me. Getting through a 22 oz bottle often leaves me feeling like I just had a decent sized meal.

This is a must try during the autumn months. It's one of my go to's.

02-12-2014 17:44:21 | More by RAlmeida77
sully11277

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

poured into my snifter

A- it is a clear orange with a nice head that goes away but sticks to the sides of the class. you can see a lot of carbonation coming from this beer.

S- Pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon, a lot of roast and spicy too it. It pretty much smalls like a fresh pumpkin pie.

T/M- You get a lot of pumpkin up front then the nutmeg and cinnamon come in. Then you get the roast with nice hop bitterness to end it.

O- This is a beer I buy every year once it is released and it is great every time.

02-05-2014 21:01:36 | More by sully11277
1759Girl

4.18/5  rDev +3%

Wow.
Appearance- expected something darker and mor murky. Bright, no head whatsoever.
Smell- amazing. Really smells like you just opened a tin of canned pumpkin.
Not just everyone's fall back of making a beer that smells like pumpkin pie spice
Taste- fairly simple but not uncomplex. Slight spice,middle malt, and a hang of pumpkin baby food (in a good way)
Mouf- nice, easy
Drinkability- better than most for its style. One of my favorites

02-03-2014 05:14:01 | More by 1759Girl
ptbise

4.74/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

As Pumpkin Beers go, this is the gold standard. My wife says it's like a pumpkin pie without the crust. She's right the beer does have more of a dessert feel with its creamy finish. Limited release every year is worth the wait every October. Sometimes difficult to find in in the PA / NY region it's produced. Stock up if you can!!!

01-20-2014 17:28:53 | More by ptbise