Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,871 | Hads: 7,085
4.58/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer smelled of pumpkin pie and spice. The beer poured a dark golden brown with a one inch head and left a nice lacing in the glass. I am not an overall fan of the style of beer but found this one to be drinkable with a nice flavor.

4.26/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

By far my favorite pumpkin beer. The smell and taste are pure pumpkin pie - flavors of pumpkin, allspice, nutmeg, crust - delicious. There is no subtlety here! The only knock is that the feel is a bit thin and lifeless - could use more carb and a creamier feel.

3.16/5  rDev -21.2%

From the 22 ounce bottle, it pours golden with a tiny head. Virtually no lacing. A few thin streams continue to stream up as you enjoy the beer. Pumpkin in the nose and spices in the mouth. Interesting, but not overwhelming.

4.4/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Lots of character here. Pumpkin comes out in the nose, but hops take over the taste. I like the complexity and mouthfeel overall is pretty good. 8 plus with still good drinkability - it's on the short list of pumpkins.

3.07/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Yet another over hyped under delivering beer that's been blown up by fanboys on BA.

Was excited to try this because I don't get Southern Tier in SoCal.

Poured it into a pint glass. Beer was very clear, light amber color. Aggressive pour yielded a C+ head, that receded quickly. Poor head retention and zero lacing throughout the session.

Beer smelled good. This was the only positive note of the session. Lots of pumpkin and spice.

Flavor did not match the smell. Bitter fusel alcohols, heavy metal, and a hint of spice. To the beer's credit, the alcohols and heavy metal subsided once the beer reached room temperature.

This beer is quite dry, and quite carbonated. It did not match well with the flavor. I feel like the flavors in a pumpkin beer would be better suited for a heavier mouth feel, and a little bit less carbonation. I like a nice dry IPA, but a pumpkin beer? Why?

Overall this was very disappointing. I've come to ignore the hype of BA, but I expect more from Southern Tier.

3.9/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is an extremely over-hyped beer that sells for $90 a case. Having said that, I had it on draft at a good restaurant and served in a tulip glass with whipped cream, it had a dessert like pumpkin pie flavor that was a load of fun. But it is beer for goodness sakes. If I want pumpkin pie with whipped cream, I'll order pumpkin pie. So it satisfies on a dessert level, but not on a beer level. We go to a pumpkin beer festival every Fall and they serve this in hollowed out pumpkins with brown sugar laced rims. Again, the novelty is there, but it does not satisfy on a beer level.

2.87/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

Cloves, esters, more cloves... I smelt what it had dealt upon first opening the bottle. No head unless I shook the glass. Mouthful is good though! Very smooth with a can't body. Paired it with caramelized butternut squash to try and pull out the pumpkin flavor, because I couldn't find it, and I still tasted little to no pumpkin. It was just me, the cloves, and the esters. Had to add a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg to the second half of the bottle to balance the spice, just so I could finish it. Glad I bought it, but I wouldn't buy it again.

Interesting beer. Somewhat on the thin side and to me at least, almost resembled a lager in appearance and in certain aspects of the taste profile. Seeing a number of references to this ale's strong pumpkin flavor, but I just never got that?? For me, banana is the overarching flavor, with perhaps some nutty element--walnut--secondarily included the mix. Pumpkin pie??? No way. Banana walnut bread?? Absolutely! This beer has an upfront sweetness, with a lager-like middle, and a fairly strong bite in the finish. I found the 8.6 ABV to be pretty forward and a little aggressive for something like this.

4.19/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Okay this beer is crazy. I have had pumpkin beers before, but this is on another level.

Pours light orange in color with no head retention.

Aroma is basically all of the spices used in a pumpkin pie. However the most notable is the cloves and brown sugar. Occasionally, I get a waft that smells exactly like fresh baked banana bread.

Taste starts off rather light and carbonated then transitions into pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices. It actually tastes exactly like a pumpkin pie ... SO STRANGE! I'm not sure I enjoy it, but it is exactly what is boasts. It has a high abv that is undetectable, yet the mouthfeel is way too light. I wish it was thicker.

Overall, this is one of the most bizarre beers I have tasted, but I was aware it said it was a pumpkin ale. I see it pairing well with a nice slice of pumpkin pie of course! It gets an 84/100.

4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

Clear light orange color with minimum head. This beer has a remarkable "fresh pumpkin" aroma and taste, very balanced use of hops, nice pumpkin spices but not overpowering. The higher ABV kind of rounds out the package. A very nice beer overall. Not quite "pumpkin pie in a glass" as it doesn't have the creamy pie mouthfeel that some have. Overall a great beer.

4.21/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Wow, this would be great to share with a lady friend. Pours orange (nice), completely headless (worrisome). Aroma is amazing... smells like real pumpkin and excellent spices, somehow also conveying a breadiness to imply crust. Flavor is nearly as good as the smell with some warming alcohol, pumpkin, and maybe a bit too much spice flavor. Fairly smooth with a slightly dry finish and lingering pumpkin pie aftertaste.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Best pumpkin beer I've had hands down, yet. The spices are their but what is so great is the actual pumpkin flavor they have captured in the beer, it's not just over whelming spices. Alcohol is very well hidden, and color is jacko latern orange.

4.17/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I don't likepunpkin spice flavored ales. Never have. Thought I never would. This one just changed my mind. Truly wonderful balance of flavors, medium-light body, warming alcohol, pumpkin-orange color, soft carbonation, malt-and-spice aroma and a fine clean, dry finish. Very well done, Southern Tier!!!

3.68/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 22oz bottle into pint glass

Appears dark golden, not quite copper. Healthy finger of off-white foam settles to thin cap with many small carb bubbles at the surface. Carb bubbles stick to the side of the glass, but few bubbles are seen moving once the beer settles. No lacing

Smells simply amazing. This is the first pumpkin style ale that I have smelled that offers more than just the expected spices. Cinnamon and nutmeg, and a slight apple are backed by a toasted, sweet bread component. This smells like pumpkin pie--crust and all!

Taste is not as rich as the nose made me expect. I was thinking this was going to be a malt bomb, but in fact it is quite hoppy. Light maltiness is quickly overcome by a gradually increasing but overall mild to medium hop bitterness. Finish is toasty, not nutty, and aftertaste is still dominated by bitterness over malt.

Mouth feel is excellent. Tipping just past medium bodied, this is still pretty drinkable for a high ABV autumn seasonal. Subtle carbonation that is noticeable but not prickly. Overall smooth and creamy for its light body. Very nice when tasting pumpkin pie notes.

Overall, I think this is a great beer. Every year I want to find a pumpkin I like, but I usually give up after a couple of tries because to me they usually taste like spices were just forced upon a standard ale (sorry, Shipyard). This is the first pumpkin style that I actually enjoyed both for its seasonal gimmick appeal but also as a stand-alone solid beer. A constructive criticism would be that it could use a little more malt in the backbone. Try this!

4.49/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Overall this beer is my liquid crack. I keep it all year round and drink it all year round.
Beautiful orange color when poured and smell is delightful. There is not much head, and the spices are not over powering. I don't like to eat pumpkin things but I LOVE this beer year round.

3.62/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

First had poured from 12-oz. bottle into nonic pint. Alcohol is big, with brandy-like finish, and Pumking has the definite flavor of a gourd: butternut squash?

4.09/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

L:Pours a clear orange copper. Little no head.

A: smells sweet and spiced. reminiscent of pumpkin smile cookies from childhood.

F&T: creamy gourdiness. Fall spices on finish but not over powering.

O: fall classic for a reason. Always have to have at least one.

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 22oz bomber to a tulip.
Dark yellow and clear.
Smells like a Thanksgiving kitchen. Allspice, nutmeg, cloves.
Taste is just like smell. Pumpkin pie all the way. Would go great with said pie.
There's a thickness to the feel. A really good cold weather drink.
Overall a great beer. Better to me later in the year.

3.29/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Clear orange color with a decent sized white head. Nothing subtle about this beer - strong nutmeg, spice, cinnamon and brown sugar aromas. Tastes like a pumpkin pie with extra brown sugar and twice the nutmeg. The only hint of beer is the warming alcohol presence at the end. I prefer the more subtle renditions more.

3.93/5  rDev -2%

Transparent orangish yellow liquid with very little extremely short lived head.
Smells of nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon and pumpkin.
Tastes of sweet spices and pumpkin that reminds me of canned uncooked pumpkin pie filling.
Feel is low to no carbonation and a medium lived spicy aftertaste.
Overall I kind of like it, Not my favorite pumpkin beer but certainly not a bad one either. I would love to try the rum barrel version.

1.26/5  rDev -68.6%

Nice pumpkin color but weak head. Nose has some more pumpkin with spice. Taste is terrible. Reminds me of fake over extracted pumpkin juice. Mouth feel is way too heavy. Lacks carbonation. Too boozy.

3.69/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a pint glass: color is copper, head is 1/2 inch thick, then dissipates to nothing, no lacing, no ring, no froth.

Smell is all graham cracker, biscuit, extremely feint pumpkin spice like aromas. That said, it still smells delicious and enticing, a unique pumpkin ale aroma.

Taste is similar to the aroma, heavy graham cracker like presence, but not the fullness in flavor that you might expect from wheat/biscuit; more pumpkin spice like flavors, mainly ginger and a touch of allspice.

Mouthfeel is bitter, a bit sharp and dry - tongue is overpowered by the stronger bittering hops & compounds.

Overall, this is a beer of great stature amongst my beer colleagues, but I have trouble with this one - is this years batch tilted toward more graham cracker like flavorings? I like it as an alternative to the overspiced or neutral pumpkin ales but find it needing balance in the spice/graham cracker flavoring.

4.06/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured a light copper color with a 1F head in a snifter.

Aroma: excellent. I haven't tried this beer for a few years. I like the Aroma much more than previous years:liquid pumpkin pie.

The MF enhances the beer. Tangy, Dry, carbonated, bitter.

The bitterness dwarfs the taste, which is lighter pumpkin, less than the aroma which remains strong during the tasting. The finish is bitter and dry, which adds character to the beer.

Overall, one of the better pumpkin beers. I wanted more in the taste.However, the aroma, MF, and finish add greatly to the tasting. Now to compare again with a Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin.

4.19/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Heard a lot of good and bad things about this beer. Found it at my local craft beer shop in a 22 oz bottle. It's unlike anything I've ever had. Pours a honey orange color with minimal head. Smells like pumpkin pie. I also smell some coffee liqueur. Sort of a tiramisu-esque alcoholic vanilla coffee note. The same thing comes through in the flavor. Some moderate pumpkin flavor with the usual baking spices, and a BIG hit of that tiramisu coffee-alcohol bitterness and sweetness. It's not misplaced, though. It tastes really good. I got a nice tinge of warmth and that comforting feeling in my spine after the first sip. I agree with others that the mouthfeel doesn't suit the taste. It's a big, heavy, deep beer, but it has a very thin mouthfeel.

2.69/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Awful. Smells and tastes like the worst part of cheap candy corn. And I really hate candy corn. I bought a 4 pack, and am going to have to give away the other three.

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company