Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,840 | Reviews: 1,878
3.09/5  rDev -23.9%

Lots of pumpkin flavor and spices

4.24/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Tastes like pumpkin pie. I taste a lot of pie crust, a buttery, flaky type of flavor. A lot of pumpkin spices. I feel like the pie crust flavor was most noticible. Also worth noting is that everything tasted natural. No artificial like flavoring to be had here.

This was drinkable, but just barely for me. I have had a few pumpkin beers, and while not my favorite style, this is one of my least favorite ones. The appearance was good, kind of an amber/orange color with little head and little lacing.

The smell was the one very pleasant quality, in that it smells almost exactly like pumpkin pie. Unfortunately what followed was not as pleasant.

The taste was alcohol forward over everything. It really shows through, which is not something I am quite fond of in my beer. Once you get past the pure alcohol flavor, there are the normal spiced flavors of a pumpkin beer. Then on the back end was another unpleasant funkiness flavor, something that I think may be attributed to the actual pumpkin in the brew. This was unpleasant and tasted of musty, slightly spoiled melon and nasty sweaty socks. This is the first pumpkin beer I have had that uses actual pumpkin in it, which I believe is causing some of these negatives that I have not tasted in other pumpkin beers.

Finally, the mouth feel was oily with a noticeable alcohol presence. I am not fond of a burning alcohol presence in my beer.

Would not seek out, purchase, or drink again. There are better alternatives if you are seeking out a pumpkin beer.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

very heavy aroma of spices..cinnamon,nutmeg,allspice,good pumpkin taste,although somewhat diminished.slight sweetness,as in the crust of the pie.alc.% is over 8%,but you get no hint of it.nice aftertaste,no bitterness.if you like pumpkin pie,this is for you;if you don't,you might be disappointed.

Schlafly and dogfish and weyerbacher do a much better job with this style. Not a huge fan of this one. Interesting, but too heavy on the nutmeg. Wish the malt character would come through a bit more. Would be good as a dessert beer.

By far my favorite fall brew. I've tried gallons of other pumpkin brews however, STBC has mastered this one. Aroma. Appearance. Body. Consistency and taste. BAM!!!!

3.96/5  rDev -2.5%

Appearance- Pours a clean, transparent, golden orange color, beautiful glisten when held to light. Pillowy two finger thick head, maybe slightly off white, but mostly white.
Aroma- Sweet, rich raw pumpkin flesh, graham cracker pie crust. Wonderful buttery, vanilla creaminess. Variety of cinnamon/allspice/clove type spices.
Taste- Raw pumpkin, pumpkin pie type notes. Real rich creaminess throughout, buttery, vanilla. Cinnamon and nutmeg, graham cracker, and nice caramel malt base underneath it all.
Feel- Medium mouthfeel, higher carbonation though. Creamy and silk feel.
Overall- Such a rich and flavorful beer, spices are nicely balanced, and pumpkin flavors are real fleshy. The highlight of this beer is the creaminess, just a wonderful combination of buttery vanilla with the caramel malt notes. A great seasonal beer, and just full of the perfect flavors for fall/holiday season.

Excellent!

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

didnt like it too much, for my taste to sweet and to much pumpkin. but if you like such kinds of beer i would totaly recommend it

4.34/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Fall brings about a LOT of pumpkin beers, but this one proved to be the best I had this season.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

one of my favorite pumpkin beers

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

"Pumpkin pie in a glass" this is a great dessert beer to share with family and friends.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Very good punkin ale. Dogfish head is still better in my opinion. I think Southern Tier went a little heavy on the spices, but still- very solid punkin ale and worth a drink!

Not a fan of flavored beers but I really enjoyed this one.

A: 5/5 Poured from a 22oz bottle into a frosted 22oz mug. Winter is coming and I'm ready for some pumpkin!!! The beer is bright with a creamy head.

S: 5/5 Cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, pumpkin, caramel, brown butter, walnuts, gram cracker and the crispness of autumn. What more could you possibly ask for???!

T: 5/5 All the pumpkin spice in the world and the booze gives it a rum quality. Fantastic!

M: 5/5 Creamy like pumpkin pie

O: 5/5 Best pumpkin beer ever!

Very layered. Best pumpkin beer I have ever had.. Great to drink At room temperature

One of my favorite beers. Great flavor with the pie crust smell as you open it and perfect for a fall night. They weren't afraid to have a lot of flavor in this beer which I appreciate as so many pumpkin beers are too subdued. Split a bomber with the wife or drinking buddy.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

I have never really been a fan of pumpkin beers, but this blew me away. Amazing beer for fall that would be perfect for cooler weather drinking

3.4/5  rDev -16.3%

Look: Light copper towards golden in color; orange tint - not surprising since the beer contains pumpkin. Translucent. Pours with no head at all, just a small layer of foam on the surface that quickly disappears. Lots of bubbles when poured; however the beer appears kind of flat quickly.

Smell: Delicious (for what it is) pumpkin pie aroma; you can really smell the spices. Made me want to dive in and drink.

Taste: Good; tastes like it smells - though I found the smell far superior to the actual flavor. True pumpkin pie flavor. Final taste is of the spices and with a slightly dry, bitter finish that I did not care for.

Feel: Medium body and medium carbonation; smooth.

Overall: Good for what it is. I am glad that I tried it, but this is something that I would not run out to buy again. I think once is enough for me; as life is too short and there are too many other beers that I prefer.

I was not really a fan of this beer. It smelled great and had nice color, but the taste was not there. I feel the pumpkin flavor really lacked especially for an "imperial" ale.

A little to sweet for me

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a rich golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of fresh pumpkin pie, graham crackers. Tate is pumpkin pie, vanilla, some graham cracker, perfectly spiced, a touch of alcohol as it warms. Feels creamy and delicious in the mouth and overall is a beer worth seeking out.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

This is the first pumpkin beer I have ever liked. It's pumpkin pie taste and great finish make we wish I could get it year round. A must try.

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

22 oz. bomber poured into snifter

L: half-hazy orange that has a consistent translucence ... you can see through it very easily, but it's just a bit hazy; the orange pulls well short of amber but has just enough red in it to get past yellow into the golder range; late-percolating head pushes up just 1/4 inch with no sticking or lacing

S: like a candle shop, sweet and spicy ... smells exactly like the fall ... ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin pie, pecan pie ... awesome. sweet vanilla as it warms, real mellow. alcohol is perfectly hidden.

T: more spice than pumpkin ... there's some earthiness that is either pumpkin or some kind of earthy-tasting hops -- they're bland and slightly bitter, don't taste particularly great but do offer some balance for the heavy load of fall seasonal spices

F: fantastic ... light but full with nice crispness from the carbonation ... feels like a perfect pale ale, so it's super drinkable

O: after trying a handful of pumpkin ales last season, I swore I was done with them. a friend said I should at least try the Pumking once, and I'm glad they did -- it's good. it's a load of spice and relatively sweet, but I like it because it has much more taste than any other pumpkin ale I've tried.

1.5/5  rDev -63.1%

This shit sucks. Artificial cinnamon bullshit. Sorry.

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company