Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,830 | Hads: 6,936

Schlafly and dogfish and weyerbacher do a much better job with this style. Not a huge fan of this one. Interesting, but too heavy on the nutmeg. Wish the malt character would come through a bit more. Would be good as a dessert beer. (232 characters)

By far my favorite fall brew. I've tried gallons of other pumpkin brews however, STBC has mastered this one. Aroma. Appearance. Body. Consistency and taste. BAM!!!! (164 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance- Pours a clean, transparent, golden orange color, beautiful glisten when held to light. Pillowy two finger thick head, maybe slightly off white, but mostly white.
Aroma- Sweet, rich raw pumpkin flesh, graham cracker pie crust. Wonderful buttery, vanilla creaminess. Variety of cinnamon/allspice/clove type spices.
Taste- Raw pumpkin, pumpkin pie type notes. Real rich creaminess throughout, buttery, vanilla. Cinnamon and nutmeg, graham cracker, and nice caramel malt base underneath it all.
Feel- Medium mouthfeel, higher carbonation though. Creamy and silk feel.
Overall- Such a rich and flavorful beer, spices are nicely balanced, and pumpkin flavors are real fleshy. The highlight of this beer is the creaminess, just a wonderful combination of buttery vanilla with the caramel malt notes. A great seasonal beer, and just full of the perfect flavors for fall/holiday season. (889 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Very good punkin ale. Dogfish head is still better in my opinion. I think Southern Tier went a little heavy on the spices, but still- very solid punkin ale and worth a drink! (176 characters)

A: 5/5 Poured from a 22oz bottle into a frosted 22oz mug. Winter is coming and I'm ready for some pumpkin!!! The beer is bright with a creamy head.

S: 5/5 Cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, pumpkin, caramel, brown butter, walnuts, gram cracker and the crispness of autumn. What more could you possibly ask for???!

T: 5/5 All the pumpkin spice in the world and the booze gives it a rum quality. Fantastic!

M: 5/5 Creamy like pumpkin pie

O: 5/5 Best pumpkin beer ever! (472 characters)

One of my favorite beers. Great flavor with the pie crust smell as you open it and perfect for a fall night. They weren't afraid to have a lot of flavor in this beer which I appreciate as so many pumpkin beers are too subdued. Split a bomber with the wife or drinking buddy. (277 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -15.6%

Look: Light copper towards golden in color; orange tint - not surprising since the beer contains pumpkin. Translucent. Pours with no head at all, just a small layer of foam on the surface that quickly disappears. Lots of bubbles when poured; however the beer appears kind of flat quickly.

Smell: Delicious (for what it is) pumpkin pie aroma; you can really smell the spices. Made me want to dive in and drink.

Taste: Good; tastes like it smells - though I found the smell far superior to the actual flavor. True pumpkin pie flavor. Final taste is of the spices and with a slightly dry, bitter finish that I did not care for.

Feel: Medium body and medium carbonation; smooth.

Overall: Good for what it is. I am glad that I tried it, but this is something that I would not run out to buy again. I think once is enough for me; as life is too short and there are too many other beers that I prefer. (911 characters)

I was not really a fan of this beer. It smelled great and had nice color, but the taste was not there. I feel the pumpkin flavor really lacked especially for an "imperial" ale. (178 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +3%

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a rich golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of fresh pumpkin pie, graham crackers. Tate is pumpkin pie, vanilla, some graham cracker, perfectly spiced, a touch of alcohol as it warms. Feels creamy and delicious in the mouth and overall is a beer worth seeking out. (310 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +5%

22 oz. bomber poured into snifter

L: half-hazy orange that has a consistent translucence ... you can see through it very easily, but it's just a bit hazy; the orange pulls well short of amber but has just enough red in it to get past yellow into the golder range; late-percolating head pushes up just 1/4 inch with no sticking or lacing

S: like a candle shop, sweet and spicy ... smells exactly like the fall ... ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin pie, pecan pie ... awesome. sweet vanilla as it warms, real mellow. alcohol is perfectly hidden.

T: more spice than pumpkin ... there's some earthiness that is either pumpkin or some kind of earthy-tasting hops -- they're bland and slightly bitter, don't taste particularly great but do offer some balance for the heavy load of fall seasonal spices

F: fantastic ... light but full with nice crispness from the carbonation ... feels like a perfect pale ale, so it's super drinkable

O: after trying a handful of pumpkin ales last season, I swore I was done with them. a friend said I should at least try the Pumking once, and I'm glad they did -- it's good. it's a load of spice and relatively sweet, but I like it because it has much more taste than any other pumpkin ale I've tried. (1,243 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Hazy mid orange in the glass even after a quick pour there wasn't much on top of this one. So I don't really know what to say about the smell here. There is a lot going on as I'm getting a ton of spice cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, ginger along with a heavy toasted biscuit aroma. This is very reminiscent of the Warlock by Southern Tier. The taste is quite similar to the smell all of the spice is there and there is a pretty good caramel malt base so I'm sure a lot of people could find this quite nice. However, I think that this is far too brash and heavy handed to rate any higher than average as I'm more a fan of the milder versions of the style. There is a touch of bitterness that is found near the finish and that goes along with a medium body and medium level of carbonation in general this beer tends to be quite sweet. Overall I'm not a very big fan of this because I don't like such a strongly spiced pumpkin ale, however, it is a good representation of the style that I'm sure some will enjoy. (1,010 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -31.8%

I was excited to try this beer after reading some great reviews. Poured into snifter, thin head, nice light orange color. Smells delicious, a little sweetness, definitely pumpkin, pie crust, and some spice.

Taste is where I was disappointed. Pumpkin up front, not very sweet, then a lot of spice on the back of the tongue. The spice tastes wrong to me. Not so much pumpkin pie or Autumn, but like a spice candle. Great to smell, not to taste. The spice lingers a very long time but is not a pleasing taste to have linger.

I can see some people would really like this but it isn't for everyone. (602 characters)

Bottle shared with a friend. Pours amber with a white head Aroma of pumpkin and spices. (nutmg, ginger, anice) Tastes of pumpkin pie: vanilla, butter, and nutmeg. Medium bod. Better than pumpkin pie. (199 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

A Halloween tradition! Pretty tasty, nice pumpkin and spice flavors, tastes like pumpkin pie, with some hoppy bitterness in the finish, pretty tasty indeed! Something very nice to relax with on a Halloween night by myself, or with a friend or loved one. I prefer to chill with this on Halloween versus going out and dealing with routy people. (342 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

I swear I am not jumping on the band wagon here. This is really the best pumpkin beer I have had this year. I have drank this beer before. It didn't leave that great of an impression because I had not had that many other pumpkin beers at that time. Now, I have. Either pumpkin spice or true pumpkin beers. But, since it was Halloween I thought why the hell not! What I am saying is this one does taste more like a pumpkin pie than any of the other pumpkin beers I have had. They are either way spicy, which I often don't mind, or they are just alright.

Appearance: Applejuice, nice color but not as dark as most.

Taste: Pumpkin pie for sure. Nice balance. This is a great beer.

Overall: This really is what I am looking for in a pumpkin beer. If I can find another one, I might purchase it before the season ends until next year. (833 characters)

*Happy Halloween 2014! The sample review was during my Halloween 2014 dinner with spicy Andouille sausage and sauerkraut, alongside some slow cooked pulled style pork braised in Sierra Nevada's Tumbler Brown Ale.*

A- Gorgeous in my wine glass. Clear body. Color was a nice vibrant darker looking orange. head was thick and creamy looking, but it died completely. A generous swirl brought it back easily. Lots of alcohol legs here with light to moderate amounts of lacing.

S- Sweetness. Graham cracker pie crust exactly! There is caramel malts as well. But it's the graham cracker that is the dominant scent here. There is the typical pumpkin pie spices in the nose as well. There is a light amount of phenol alcohol as well. Somewhat biscuity in the yeast. No real hop notes to speak of.

T- The graham cracker crust is very prominent in this beer! Caramel malts are also extremely detectable. There is a good bit of upfront sweetness, but I didn't find it cloying or unpleasant at all. Typical pumpkin spices are in this one: clove, nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice. There was a great tasting vanilla character as well that played with the graham cracker. The alcohol is noticeable upon first sip, but it never burns down the throat. There might even be a butterscotch thing going on as well. This beer does not lack flavor at all!

M- More towards the full side. It does have a moderate slickness in the body of the beer. The finish is very biscuty and malty and sweet. It's a dessert beer for sure. And it is good for sipping as well.

Overall this beer is a great pumpkin beer. I generally don't go to the beer store to really seek out pumpkin beers because I almost find it to too trendy of a style and one that can be a hit or miss. I like to go for the bigger abv/imperial pumpkin ales since they tend to be more flavorful and certainly are more exciting than your standard Shipyard Pumpkinhead. This one is just like drinking pumpkin pie. Have it with some pie and vanilla ice cream and thank me latter! (2,012 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Surly Darkness chalice.

Appearance: Pours a bright and clear golden orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. About one finger of off white head which settles into a thin creamy layer.

Smell: A sweet pumpkin pie like aroma with big hints of pumpkin, spices, and vanilla. Upfront scent of pumpkin along with sweet hints of vanilla and sugar. Big mix of fall spices with hints of nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, and clove. Malt hints of cracker, biscuit, crust, nuts, and yeast. A pretty solid aroma.

Taste: Like the nose indicates, a sweet and spicy pumpkin pie taste with big notes of pumpkin, fall spices, and vanilla. Big taste of pumpkin upfront. Sweet notes of vanilla and sugar. Lots of fall spices with notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and allspice. Sweet malt notes of biscuit, cracker, pie crust, pecan nuts, and yeast. Sweet but not cloying. A pretty good taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Creamy, slick, and fairly chewy. Alcohol heat is hidden well.

Overall: A very solid take on a pumpkin beer. Big and sweet but still nicely drinkable. (1,135 characters)

i've enjoyed many of pumpkin ales and this one just didn't add up to the hype behind it. I expected so much more out of the beer as much as I heard about it, maybe that was the issue, I should've taken it for what it is. I surly feel as though a lot of good goes into this beer but too much hype is only gonna hurt it. It was , for me, mediocre at best for the pumpkin ale category. Enjoy!

Appearance: a very clean pour with minimal head, light copper color.

Aroma: very strong sweet vanilla scent, nice mild spice fragrance from the cinnamon,nutmeg, and allspice.

Taste: first you can pick up on the sweet pumpkin flavors. You then move on to the incredibly strong vanillaand spice flavors. The next thing you get is the mild alcohol burn.

Mouthfeel: It is sweet and sticky with medium carbonation. (803 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

I tried many pumpkin beers over my vacation this last weekend and Southern Tiers Pumking stood out well above the pack. Though I wouldn't compare it to drinking apple pie it does a have a distinctive sweetness due to the vanilla. I couldn't stop thinking about it and had to go down to Total Wine to get 4 more bottles. Highly recommended to any fans of pumpkin beer. (370 characters)

Quite simply one the best beers I've enjoyed. Very strong malt flavor throughout. It smells like the mash step of homebrewing mixed with pumpkin pie spice. The taste is full bodied with strong malt flavor with overtones of pumpkin pie. Very smooth finish for the ABV. (271 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

A: Transparent golden orange with lots of legs. Clean looking beer

S: Cinnamon, slight cinnamon graham cracker, pumpkin, and sweet malt

T: Big malt up front with cinnamon and bready notes, followed by a nice big pumpkin, then a hint of nutmeg, hazelnuts, with a hint of something like clove? but then goes back to the nice balanced pumpkin

M: Light to medium bodied smooth and wet on the palate and drinks easy. Nothing mid blowing here

O: A good pumpkin beer. I think it captures the pumpkin taste nicely but it loses me every few sips as it can have too much spice that leads to a kind of potpourri taste. But it's nothing that prevents me from picking up a bottle or two a year. Is it the best pumpkin beer I've had? Not by a long shot but it doesn't feel like the season without one. (791 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

I didn't have the recommended snifter for this one so I used a weizen glass. This one poured a burnished gold with faint orange at the heart. The two finger, rocky, ivory head quickly dissipated leaving a thin ring around the edge and not much more. I could see thin streams of bubbles rising to the top, releasing more of the pumpkin pie spice aroma that initially greeted my nose. Closer inspection of the nose revealed the light scent of pumpkin and a touch of banana (according to my elder daughter's more sensitive nose. The younger simply said, "beer.")

And now the most important part, tasting this bad boy. Initially sweet, followed by the aforementioned spices and pumpkin, all done with a firm, yet restrained, hand so as not to be overpowering. I detect ginger, nutmeg, clove and possibly cinnamon and very little hop flavor or aroma. There's also a bit of a bread-like flavor as well. The spices have a balancing bitterness that goes nicely with the sweetness of this brew. There's so much going on that one doesn't even notice the higher alcohol content.

The mouth feel was a little thin for this strong and busy an ale. I wanted it to be creamier, smoother, more warming and fuller in the mouth. Instead, it tended to being lighter bodied with a definite tingle on the tongue from the carbonation.

Overall, the total effect is actually higher than one might expect from the component parts. The flavors work very well together, enhanced by the aroma. The mouth feel, as mentioned is on the thin side, but doesn't distract the other senses. It is excellently enjoyable and definitely worth sharing with friends over a slice of pie or a pumpkin mousse. (1,668 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%

Appearance- An orange almost honey appearance that is much lighter in color than most pumpkin beers I have had. A pleasant surprise.
Aroma- Spices that smell like a freshly baked pumpkin pie.
Taste- A nice malt backbone that is complemented by pumpkin pie spices. The sweetness is balanced by a bitterness that is somehow still pumpkiny.
Mouthfeel- Medium body and very light carbonation. Well hidden alcohol.
Overall- The best pumpkin beer that I've had. (459 characters)

Pours a orangey honey color. Smells great. Sweet and spicy. Tastes of pumpkin but it isn't over the top. You can pick up the spices but they aren't overwhelming either. It had this sweetness on the back end. Almost like a cookie. Butter maybe. It was unique. I liked what it offered at the end. It was different enough that I enjoyed drinking the bomber trying to figure out what I was having. Good pumpkin beer. (412 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Had this beer last year on tap, and loved it. Went to buy in after Haloween and it was sold out. This year I went to my favorite beer store and the price was almost $9.00/bottle. Needless to say I'll be waiting to buy it on tap. (231 characters)

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company