Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,875 | Hads: 7,103
4.3/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Pour House, pours an orange-amber with minimal head and no lacing. Smell is phenomenal; perfect combination of caramel-fresh pumpkin and nutmeg, very smooth. The taste is primarily nutmeg, but the fresh pumpkin comes through as well, though I wish it were more pronounced. Slight cinnamon notes too. Mouthfeel is more highly carbonated than expected, but for an imperial it's easy to drink. A fall classic!

3.49/5  rDev -13%

Clear yellow in the glass with no head. It smells of good pumpkin spice. Tastes starts like it smells but quickly fads to a terrible light beer flavor. Flavor fads fast, very thin. I won't get this again.

3.44/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle at America on Tap
Brown sugary caramel maltiness with plenty of pie spices to cut through it, not the worst pumpkin beer I've ever had, might even like it in small doses.

2.66/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I've had this beer in the past but, this year I think it's terrible. Very bitter after taste and not in a hoppy kind of way, just nasty bitter! I don't know if it's me or if they did something different this year.

1.39/5  rDev -65.3%

Entirely too sweet and chemically - tastes like they mixed in a pound of Sweet n Low + dry cleaning fluid. Avoid this like a rancid, post-Halloween pumpkin.

2.5/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

I like pumpkin beers to start and was excited as this is more or less the essential. I just did not like it because it was very perfume like and left a cloying grainy feeling.

4.41/5  rDev +10%

Starts out sweet on the tip of your tongue, then the spice in the center of your palate, finished with a little bitterness from the hops at the end. Just a pleasure to drink.

3.83/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle served in a snifter. Vibrant orange-gold in color with 1/2 a finger of bubbly, off-white foam. Sweet pumpkin spice, honey, and cinammon on the nose. Medium weight, albeit a tad thin for my liking. Straight up pumpkin-pie on the taste initially. As it warms, I get notes ofcinammon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract. Ok finish. Coulda been better, coulda been worse. Lots of spice on the back end and aftertaste.

I suppose I'm just not a pumpkin beer guy. While this wasn't bad at all, it just didn't live up to the hype for me.

3.58/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

In general, pumpkin beers are just an extension of pumpkin lattes. This is true for this beer, but at least it's better than most.

Spiced, but not annoyingly so. Sweet, but not cloying. Lingering taste, which is a bit much.

Not one of my top three, but good.

4.04/5  rDev +0.7%

Well my search for pumpkin beers are over. While some people like more of a no frills pumpkin beer I want my beer like a piece of pumpkin pie. This beer fits the bill. The spices and taste are right on with being as close to pumpkin pie as I have had. This beer is not overt sweet to me and is a joy to drink. I am glad they released this in a four pack this year so I can drink it more often without having to commit to a bomber. This beer is going to be in my fridge throughout Thanksgiving.

4.9/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pumpkin Rating: Pie!
Drink Again: I want another one right now
The person that sold me this beer said it wasn't just a pumpkin taste: it was the whole pie. This is 100% true. It's hard not to sip this beer slowly because it's so good: there's a kind of elegant fragrance all the way through and a kind of thick creamy scent at the end. I need more.

4.06/5  rDev +1.2%

Had a couple of these on draught last weekend and bought this bottle to follow up with at home. Poured from a 22oz bomber into my tulip glass. pours a deep golden orange color. The nose is of the pumpkin spices, cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon. There is a deep roasted pumpkin overtone. The taste is more of the great roasted pumpkin not great over shadowed by the spices. A very nicely done pumpkin beer and the 8.6 ABV is well hidden.

1.62/5  rDev -59.6%

Wow. This is one nasty beer. Tasted like an artificial flavored gummy bear or jelly bean.

Pumpkin pie crust in a beer? This has it. Various pumpkin pie spice "flavors" but chemical in nature.

I could not get past the artificial nastiness to take any other "qualities" serious.

I will never buy this again. Blech.

2.67/5  rDev -33.4%

Pros: I actually taste the pumpkin pie crust. Nice
Good malt flavor
Enough alcohol to help you put the cons in the back of your mind

Cons: Tastes artificial and chemical. This dissipates somewhat as the brew warms, but could be from the alcohol. I think it might also be from the interaction between the hops and the flavor compounds as it is bitter and astringent.

Decent beer offset by a fuel-like chemical flavor. Probably the alcohol. I would just as soon drink a bud light.

4.58/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer smelled of pumpkin pie and spice. The beer poured a dark golden brown with a one inch head and left a nice lacing in the glass. I am not an overall fan of the style of beer but found this one to be drinkable with a nice flavor.

4.26/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

By far my favorite pumpkin beer. The smell and taste are pure pumpkin pie - flavors of pumpkin, allspice, nutmeg, crust - delicious. There is no subtlety here! The only knock is that the feel is a bit thin and lifeless - could use more carb and a creamier feel.

3.16/5  rDev -21.2%

From the 22 ounce bottle, it pours golden with a tiny head. Virtually no lacing. A few thin streams continue to stream up as you enjoy the beer. Pumpkin in the nose and spices in the mouth. Interesting, but not overwhelming.

4.4/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Lots of character here. Pumpkin comes out in the nose, but hops take over the taste. I like the complexity and mouthfeel overall is pretty good. 8 plus with still good drinkability - it's on the short list of pumpkins.

3.07/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Yet another over hyped under delivering beer that's been blown up by fanboys on BA.

Was excited to try this because I don't get Southern Tier in SoCal.

Poured it into a pint glass. Beer was very clear, light amber color. Aggressive pour yielded a C+ head, that receded quickly. Poor head retention and zero lacing throughout the session.

Beer smelled good. This was the only positive note of the session. Lots of pumpkin and spice.

Flavor did not match the smell. Bitter fusel alcohols, heavy metal, and a hint of spice. To the beer's credit, the alcohols and heavy metal subsided once the beer reached room temperature.

This beer is quite dry, and quite carbonated. It did not match well with the flavor. I feel like the flavors in a pumpkin beer would be better suited for a heavier mouth feel, and a little bit less carbonation. I like a nice dry IPA, but a pumpkin beer? Why?

Overall this was very disappointing. I've come to ignore the hype of BA, but I expect more from Southern Tier.

3.9/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is an extremely over-hyped beer that sells for $90 a case. Having said that, I had it on draft at a good restaurant and served in a tulip glass with whipped cream, it had a dessert like pumpkin pie flavor that was a load of fun. But it is beer for goodness sakes. If I want pumpkin pie with whipped cream, I'll order pumpkin pie. So it satisfies on a dessert level, but not on a beer level. We go to a pumpkin beer festival every Fall and they serve this in hollowed out pumpkins with brown sugar laced rims. Again, the novelty is there, but it does not satisfy on a beer level.

2.87/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

Cloves, esters, more cloves... I smelt what it had dealt upon first opening the bottle. No head unless I shook the glass. Mouthful is good though! Very smooth with a can't body. Paired it with caramelized butternut squash to try and pull out the pumpkin flavor, because I couldn't find it, and I still tasted little to no pumpkin. It was just me, the cloves, and the esters. Had to add a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg to the second half of the bottle to balance the spice, just so I could finish it. Glad I bought it, but I wouldn't buy it again.

Interesting beer. Somewhat on the thin side and to me at least, almost resembled a lager in appearance and in certain aspects of the taste profile. Seeing a number of references to this ale's strong pumpkin flavor, but I just never got that?? For me, banana is the overarching flavor, with perhaps some nutty element--walnut--secondarily included the mix. Pumpkin pie??? No way. Banana walnut bread?? Absolutely! This beer has an upfront sweetness, with a lager-like middle, and a fairly strong bite in the finish. I found the 8.6 ABV to be pretty forward and a little aggressive for something like this.

4.19/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Okay this beer is crazy. I have had pumpkin beers before, but this is on another level.

Pours light orange in color with no head retention.

Aroma is basically all of the spices used in a pumpkin pie. However the most notable is the cloves and brown sugar. Occasionally, I get a waft that smells exactly like fresh baked banana bread.

Taste starts off rather light and carbonated then transitions into pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices. It actually tastes exactly like a pumpkin pie ... SO STRANGE! I'm not sure I enjoy it, but it is exactly what is boasts. It has a high abv that is undetectable, yet the mouthfeel is way too light. I wish it was thicker.

Overall, this is one of the most bizarre beers I have tasted, but I was aware it said it was a pumpkin ale. I see it pairing well with a nice slice of pumpkin pie of course! It gets an 84/100.

3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

Clear light orange color with minimum head. This beer has a remarkable "fresh pumpkin" aroma and taste, very balanced use of hops, nice pumpkin spices but not overpowering. The higher ABV kind of rounds out the package. A very nice beer overall. Not quite "pumpkin pie in a glass" as it doesn't have the creamy pie mouthfeel that some have. It does have a certain Vegetal character that kind of impresses upon you the more you drink. I ended up having a hard time finishing the bomber. I think 8 oz of this is pretty much the perfect amount to drink without getting "fatigued". Downgrading my taste rating slightly because of this.

4.21/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Wow, this would be great to share with a lady friend. Pours orange (nice), completely headless (worrisome). Aroma is amazing... smells like real pumpkin and excellent spices, somehow also conveying a breadiness to imply crust. Flavor is nearly as good as the smell with some warming alcohol, pumpkin, and maybe a bit too much spice flavor. Fairly smooth with a slightly dry finish and lingering pumpkin pie aftertaste.

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company