Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,896 | Hads: 7,227
3.61/5  rDev -10%

750 ml bottle at steves,

A- crystal clear body with a light orange body, and a white head on top that quickly faded.

S- Super strong spice, strong vegetal pumpkin flavors which is really nice, has some strong sweetness as well. the smell is a little offputting.

T- strong pumpkin flavor, earthy, tasty. im relieved its not a a super cinnamon flavor as seemed possible from the smell. strong pumpkin tones, balanced cinnamon. still pretty sweet but a solid beer around. Thank god for a big strong actual pumpkin flavor though

M- thick body, medium carbonation. sticky lingering body and flavor all over.

D- its alright, idk the taste is good, but I find myself struggling to take each next sip. ohh well

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

22oz. bomber: This one pours a slightly hazy, darker golden color. There is a slight orange tinge to it. There was a small off-white head on it that dropped away rather quickly, and leaves no lacing. The aroma is interesting. Missing is the pumpkin pie spice that you usually get with this style. I get mainly pumpkin and cinnamon. However, there are some other aromas. There is an almost funkiness to it, but not in a bad way. The taste is interesting. There is the pumpkin, as well as clove and cinnamon. There is a dryness and a touch of sourness to the brew. Also a nuttiness in the flavor profile. This is an interesting take on a pumpkin beer.

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%

One of the best Pumpkin beers I've had. Beer pours a nice copper color with a small head and not much lacing. Big aroma of vanilla, nutmeg and allspice, like someone just took a pumpkin pie out of the oven. First sip is surprisingly smooth and creamy, not what you normally find in a pumpkin beer. You really taste the vanilla and other spices. One of the more drinkable pumpkin beers I;'ve had and would recommend it to anyone who likes the style.

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

A: After a normal pour, yields a copper color with a slight off-white foam head, less then one finger. A decent amount of lacing the whole way through.

S: Lots of pumpkin, all-spice, vanilla, nutmeg with some bread tones as well. The smell was terrific, very potent but nicely blended together.

T: The taste certainly lived up to the smell. I felt like I was eating fresh pumpkin pie. Really balanced pumpkin and bread malt, with a hint of vanilla (whip cream on the pie?)

M: A smooth, creamy, well balanced beer. A perfect amount of carbonation.

D: I would certainly have more then 1 in a sitting, a great dessert beer, with a high ABV of 9%.

4.24/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a goblet an opaque amber color. Very little head quickly disappears altogether. Aroma is pumpkin, clove, nutmeg. Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation, a little syrupy. Taste is lots of pumpkin and spice up front and in your face, vanilla, caramel, almond, with a bit of alcohol in the finish. Very much like a good pumpkin pie. Although I expected this to be a little sweeter, this is one of the better pumpkin ales I have had, although the 9% ABV is completely unnecessary. A welcome fall treat.

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

Very interesting pumpkin beer with a very different flavor profile from most. This one tastes more like pumpkin custard- or even pumplin creme brulee. I wouldn't say it is my absolute favorite pumpkin (that would be Elysian's Great Pumpkin), but the richness and different tastes in this one make it very, very enjoyable indeed. Pours an orange amber with little head. Smells and tastes of pumpkin custard with a brulee crust and roasted pumpkin seeds. There is an eggy richness to this beer and the carmelized sugars are so deep and rich they taste burnt. This beer definitely shares some characteristics with Creme Brulee fro The same brewery, but it isn't nearly as unctous nor as sweet as that beer. Thee notes of roasted punpkin seeds adds a savory, almost salty nuttiness to the equation. The spice notes are also a bit different with lots of mace and nutmeg and little to no cinammon. There are also some squash-like flavors from the pumpkin and the pumpkin also adds some silkiness to the mouthfeel. A great beer and very different from the overly sweet pumpkin concoctions out there.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

This beer pours a amber orange color with a small white head that quickly disappears. Huge pumpkin smell with nutmeg and cinnamon. The taste is unmistakably pumpkin pie. The mouthfeel had medium body with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, I was happy with the bomber. Not as sweet as I expected (I thought creme brulee was too sweet). This is hands down the best pumpkin beer I have had. Another great beer from Southern Tier.

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

Hands down, the best pumpkin ale ever out there!!! 2007 is not as pumpkiny as 2008,but if you combine both together, you get an awesome tasting. I challenge anyone out there with a bottle of 07', pour a couple of ounces in a snifter, then add the same amount of the 08 to the glass and let us know what you think!!! Someone needs to tell Southern Tier!

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

Into a chalice, it's poured, lookig a light orange, softly hazed, with brown edges..nice, if slimmed down head.

Aroma starts with cinnamon and nutmeg, not too loud, soft, but spicy, then the meat of the gourd calls out below. Sweet, spicy, and nice.

In the mouth, it's all there. Nothing but pumpkin, not too big and bold, but not skimpy either, and not one of these where only the spices of a pumpkin pie are employed to deliver the desired effect. No, this is with real pumpkin added, and the abv is definitely higher than normal, doesn't show at first, but then we get nice and warm.
Honestly, it really tastes like drinking a slightly diluted pumpkin pie, blended up and kicked up with some booze. Delicious stuff.
Really good.
Might not need the 9% abv, I mean, jeez, does everything have to go so high, these days? I remember when 9% used to mean something...argh, grumble, mumble, you kids get off my lawn!

BUT..damn good beer, highly recommended...drink one and see...

4.65/5  rDev +16%

This is a very solid Pumpkin beer. I should know, because I get my hands on any pumpkin beer I see. I would say this is easily one of the top pumpkin beers, if not one of the top beers I've had. The smell is really interesting. It has hints of amaretto, pumpkin, and spices. The taste has a hint of the amaretto, but more of the pumpkin and spices, with a little kick of alochol. Very smooth and warming, which is great for the cool fall nights. The only bad thing about this one, is that I can't find it in SC.

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%

2nd of 2 Southern Tier offerings I picked up in Rochester, NY. This one was more for the wife and I to enjoy together, so it's a joint review.

A: Pours an almost clear honey color with a modest, but frothy head that leaves a reasonable splashing of lace

S: Pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and sweetened cornbread

T: Opens with a rich pumpkin and spice flavor, which becomes increasingly spicey by mid-palate; after the swallow, the cornbread flavor builds, sweet and buttery; the finish has some alcohol on it.

M: Medium body with moderate carbonation; some warmth on the swallow.

D: This was an extremely unique brew. I'll admit that I bowed out earlier than the wife (just a bit too much pumpkin for me), but I still enjoyed this brew. Southern Tier is clearly about pushing the limits and I can totally respect and acknowledge that even if it's not my cup of tea (the wife LOVED IT though). I need to find me some more Southern Tier now!

4.44/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: copper in color with small slight off-white head and medium amount of carbonation

S: amazing graham cracker aroma which I haven't nosed before. pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice play second fiddle. some brown sugar is also to be found.

T: wow, I even taste graham cracker crust. cinnamon, spices and pumpkin. The whole pie is in this bottle.

M: med-full body, creamy with moderate carb

D: Best Pumpkin yet. I could drink all Fall

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

A - Poured out a cloudy, orange amber color with a small, foamy, off-white head. No lace.

S - It smelled of pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon, spices. There were also malty hints.

T - It truly tasted like pumpkin pie. Delicious pumpkin flavor with just the right nutmeg and cinnamon kicks.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium-bodied beer.

D - This is a really nice tasting pumpkin ale. Absolutely the best one that I've ever had.

4.26/5  rDev +6.2%

A hazy amber/yellow orange concoction. The head is average. Has a hazy thickness to the look. Not bad.

The aroma is out of this world. A very, VERY bready smell. Heavy yeast and a cake-like aroma. A combination of pumpkin pie and -- perhaps more strongly -- carrot cake. Like a liquified confection. Immense.

The taste is very strong carrot cake. Pumpkin spice and brown sugar. Very conspicuous alcohol burst. Hits the back of the tongue with authority. Rich and bready, like a sugary cake.

Feels thick and foamy. Milky and chunky. Chewy. It's delicious and bursting with flavor, but also seriously heavy.

3.28/5  rDev -18.2%

Appearance: Pours with a light copper body, a little fizzy with some bubbles. Has a good frothy head, which takes a bit to go down and leaves some attractive lacing behind.

Smell: If there ever was a beer that smell like a homemade pumpkin pie, this is it. By far, this is the sweetest aroma I've ever smelled from a beer. Can smell pumpkin, brown sugar, a little whipped cream and caramel, and some nice spices. Very aromatic. Unfortunately, after awhile the sweetness became overwhelming and started to have a negative effect on my sense of smell.

Taste: PUMPKIN PIE. Seriously, it's like drinking a fucking pie. Has a very slight bitterness along with the creampy pumpkin taste. Even the pie crust can be tasted in here. Like the smell, this is the sweetest beer I've ever tasted.

Mouthfeel: Has a slightly thick, yet still smooth feel in the mouth. Aftertaste is almost identical to the taste, with a little more sweetness (if that is possible).

Drinkability: This is a tough beer to review. On one hand, I see it as a great dessert beer, as it would go spectacularly with a big piece of pumpkin pie and vanilla ice cream. On the other hand, this beer is just too damn sweet. I couldn't even finish the pint I was drinking without starting to feel a little sick from the sweetness overload. Bottom line, if you want a well brewed, extremely sweet pumpkin beer, try this one. If your not crazy about an ale that feels like it's rotting through your teeth, stay away. If I was to have this again, I'd have one glass, then stop. Any more then that, and I might need dentures.

3.97/5  rDev -1%

Bomber poured into my Deschutes snifter, Pumking is a clear copper with an eggshell colored head, tight and creamy, leaving pretty light lace.

Smell at first whiff was very astringent and bitter, earthy, like burnt stems and seeds, totally off-putting. Served at 55F, as it opened up (or I adjusted), it sweetened and gained depth, and I began to enjoy deconstructing it. I see everybody finds lots distinct of pumpkin pie flavor, for my money, it's more like a pumpkin egg-nog with a the egg-nod flavor strong and very pronounced, and the roasted pumpkin fleshy and earthy.

Taste is also bittersweet and earthy, heavy on the whole roasted pumpking flavor, the spices are a fairly generic mismash of astringency, with biting, bitter finish with slight, sweet aftertaste. I really dig the fleshiness of the pumpkin, and am happy that this tastes more like a pumpkin side dish then pumpkin pie. Pretty smooth, with the high ABV very well hidden.

Mouthfeel is drier, sharp, but with a creamy carbonation, medium bodied.

Drinkability is pretty good, I have to admit, I was expecting a super sweet desert beer, but this is a nice, sturdy drinking fall warmer that emphasizes it's namesake vegetable. Still, I can see why it wouldn't be for everyone, and I would think if I went for a second bomber, I'd regret it. I bought this in Boston about 2 months ago and have cellared it since, but now that it's available in WA (and probably soon to be OR), it's might be making a regular fall appearance. I need to track another down and try cellaring it for a year. Better served warmer, like a barelywine (although it doesn't particularly taste like one).

4.92/5  rDev +22.7%

A - Very nice orange/brown color. Great solid finger width head.

S- Could be the best aroma I have every experienced with a beer. I spent a solid 5 minutes just enjoying the wonderful pumpkin aroma, mixed with the brown sugar, nutmeg, vanilla, and faint whipped cream. Simply wonderful.

T- Somehow more subtle than the smell, but still very flavorful. It is pumpkin pie in liquid form. The creaminess is very pleasant, mixed with the sweetness of the pumpkin, and the complexity of the spices.

M- This beer has substance, but is not too thick. Surprisingly not filling.

D - For a 9% beer, it is very drinkable. There is some warmth from the alcohol, but no more than there would be if you were eating a piece of pumpkin pie. Simply a great beer.

4.27/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A one finger head right after the pour, that recedes to a small island of foam andring. Good medium copper hue with a very strong column of bubbling. The aroma is hearty pumpkin bread, strong malt notes and a well integrated pumpkin aroma. The taste is equally bready and pumpkin-ey, but with more emphasis on spices. Notes of numeg, cinnamon, and brown sugar come throuh in the middle. The finish is a dry, grainy pumpkin bread. Good sipping beer on a brisk october evening.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

A: Dark pumpkin colored, with a nice off-white, solid head with great retention.

S: Pumpkin pie. Seriously - both filling and crust. Pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, crust, vanilla.

T: Pumpkin pie. Really. All of it. I can't believe this is a 9% beer - there is no real alcohol flavor discernible.

M: Medium-bodied; pleasantly creamy. Carbonation is great, and is still present long after pouring.

D: Definitely a very drinkable beer. Pretty intense flavor that might be offputting after a few consecutive bottles, but I'm pretty sad there's not another bomber to pour.

4.67/5  rDev +16.5%

This is the perfect autumn beer. It pours a light bronze color. Strong smell of pumpkin, with some nutmeg-like spice. The taste was superb. Again, the pumpkin was strong, but not at all overpowering. There were also various spices present, most notably nutmeg and vanilla. Everything came together perfect. I can't imagine a better iteration of this style.

3.35/5  rDev -16.5%

Im not a huge fan of pumpkin ales, or that experienced with the style but here were my thoughts.

It looks great, and the aroma is very spicy with all the usual suspects for the style. But comparing this to dogfish's pumpkin (my favorite of the style thusfar), ST went way overboard on the spices. It was too sweet for my taste (much like their creme brulee). ST continues to take a style and push its limits, which was great for Jahva or Choklat, but for CB and Pumking, I cant say the same.

I have heard that last year's batch was easier on the spices, which may have appealed to me more. The problem for me was that it was flat out too sweet. Much like the creme brulee, this would be better enjoyed after dinner shared with a few friends.

4.61/5  rDev +15%

A: Pours a cooper, with a equally crisp, one finger tightly bubbled tinted off white head. The copper coloring is coupled with a dark pumpkin orange hue. Carve some eyes in it and drop a candle in the glass and you would have a full on jack-o-lantern. The appearance and lacing are solid.

S: Admittedly, I did not know what to think of the first whiff as it was so overwhelming. As I continued to smell this remarkable beer I began to appreciate the huge aromas. It has a massive buttery vanilla and fresh deep dish home cooked pumpkin pie smell. They must have thrown in the pumpkin stems and seeds because the smell is earthy. The spiced nutmeg, ginger, clove, and cinnamon are all very pronounced. A thick graham cracker quality. Overall, the smell is amazing, heavy, and truly complex.

T: This lives up to the Pumking name. The taste is hearty and rich of pumpkin pie crust, whip cream, and marshmallow. There are huge amounts of nutmeg, pecans, and ginger bread. Even hints of a Halloween favorite: candy corn. Very sweet with perfect seasonings and a nice malt roundness. The taste is a haunted house of flavors that spook the mouth.

M: Body is medium and creamy with perfect carbonation. The finish is long and pronounced. Almost like I took a bite of the pumpkin pie instead of a drink.

D: I checked the bottle again just to confirm this was 9% as it drinks that smoothly. I think this is the most unique taste of the pumpkin ales I have tried to date. I am by no means an expert in this genre but it works perfectly for this time of year. It is something that you can gorge on for the Halloween season. Ode to Púca and brewed with the pagan spirit in mind. Take the kids trick or treating, carve some pumpkins, jam some Misfits or Gwar, dress up like a your favorite maniac, or go watch the Jimmy Stewart movie Harvey. At least give this beer a shot.

4.79/5  rDev +19.5%

22 oz bomber purchased at Joe Canal's in Egg Harbor Twp., NJ. Drank for a pint glass.

A: Clear, orangey/amber body. Thin white head that clings to the glass. Steady stream of small bubbles rising in the glass. Nice lacing.

S: Smells like they squeezed the juice out of a pumpkin pie. There's the pumpkin and spice smells found in other pumpkin ales, but this goes an extra step. The crust is in there too (vanilla anad grahm crackers).

T: Tastes just like it smells, pumpkin pie; crust and all. Also has a pleasant, slightly bitter finish

M: Medium bodied and velvety smoothe.

D: My mouth watered waiting for this one to make it's appearance this season. IMO the best pumpkin beer out there. Though I savor it slowly, it is full of great flavors and highly drinkable for 9% abv.

4.39/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Got this from a friend.

Pours a light copper/dark gold color with a slightly off-white one-finger head. The head dissipates quickly into a wispy layer of bubbles and a thin ring around the glass. Almost no lacing.

Smells magnificent. Huge amounts of pumpkin and vanilla with undertones of spices. I could smell it the second I popped the cap, and now that it's in the glass it smells even better.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Big hits of vanilla and pumpkin up front, with a mild spiciness that ends just the slightest touch of bitterness. The pumpkin flavor sticks around for a while and leaves me wanting more. It's a little too sweet in the beginning, but as it warms it tastes amazing. There's absolutely no hint of the alcohol.

Mouthfeel is good. It's mildly thin at first, but as it warms up the carbonation calms down and the beer thickens. It's got more body than most pumpkin beers.

Drinkability is great. It goes down as easily as any pumpkin beer that I've had.

Overall this is a must try. Weyerbacher and DFH both make exceptional pumpkin beers but this is on a level all its own. I'm glad I had the chance to try it.

3.92/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a transparent golden-orange with a large off-white tinted head. Aroma of (surprise) pumpkin, sweet malt and a variety of spices with cinnamon being the most apparent. The flavor has a ginger quality as well as pumpkin, cloves, almonds and light caramel. Long finish with a nice cinnamon and clove character that lingers on the palate. Medium to full bodied with an oily texture and small carbonation. Alcohol very well hidden.

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company