Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,829 | Hads: 6,933
4.72/5  rDev +17.1%

Let me start with what I thought was the best part of the beer. It tasted like liquid pumpkin pie. A nice color and a rich aroma of spices. One sip and I wanted more. But, the alcohol level was a bit high for heavy drinking. On the other hand... I didn't notice any alcohol taste or burn while drinking the beer. (312 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +1%

A - crystal clear orange, low visible carbonation, low to no head. The beer pours a slight viscous texture. Not much complexity in it's appearance.

S - Pumking comes across heavy like the unmistakable Sweetzel's Spiced Wafers. Cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, molasses, caramel and roasted pumpkin all come across first and are accentuated by the slight alcoholic note that lies beneath. As the beer warms a slight floral hop note comes out of the background intermingling with the spice character.

T - Again, Sweetzel's.... Cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, all spice.... the regular pumpkin pie flavors that are rounded out by notes of caramel, molasses, burnt sugars and toffees alike. There is a slight alcoholic heat that blends well with the cinnamon almost making the spice character pop that much more.

M - This being a 9% beer, i found the mouthfeel to be slightly low. There isn't a cloying sweetness that brings out the body in this beer, to me it was relatively dry.

D - Due to the low body of this beer and the myriad of flavors this beer becomes extremely drinkable even at 9%. I've never ventured past one bottle because my wallet wouldn't be able to take it as well as the fact that i can only drink so much spiced beer but this one definitely sits towards the top. Keep a bottle for yourself, no sharezies on this one. (1,327 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +7.7%

Drank from a 650 ml./1 pt. 6 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Liquor World, Cambridge, MA
Served in a goblet

The beer poured a slightly hazed, glowing, orangey-amber color with a wispy, bubbly, white head. The head quickly faded to a thin film. As the beer warmed, the chill hazed disappeared and the liquid turned clear.

The aroma was intensely pumpkin-pie like. Sweet, spicy and yummy with lots of nutmeg, allspice and clove. Some brown sugar and butterscotch notes came through as well.

The flavor was similar to the nose yet a bit dryer and more subdued. Malty rich and a touch sweet up front. Super spicy (nutmeg and allspice once again) in the center. Pumpkin and brown sugar notes came through as well. A touch of hoppy bitterness was noticeable on the very dry, spicy, lingering finish. As the beer warmed, the overall flavor profile turned sweeter.

The mouthfeel was creamy and smooth. Medium bodied with a fine, spritzy carbonation. Light and fluffy on the palate.

Drinkability was terrific. This was a very tasty and enjoyable pumpkin ale that hid its alcohol content remarkably well.

I am a huge fan of pumpkin products of all types, yet for some reason I am usually disappointed with pumpkin beers. This offering from Southern Tier however gives me a sense of renewed faith in the style. Pumpking is undoubtedly the best pumpkin ale I have tried to date. (1,368 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass. Bottle said to pour it into a goblet but I don't have one.

Appears a nice clear orange color with some golden highlights. One and a half inch off-white head.

Aroma is exactly like fresh pumpkin pie. Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, it's all there. There's even some breadiness like a crust.

Taste starts out somewhat sweet with slight breadiness then the spices kick in. Cinnamon and allspice seem to be the most prominent. Finishes with more of the spice and a bit of hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium, nice level of carbonation.

Certainly one of the best Pumpkin Ales out there. Pretty close tossup between this and DFH Punkin. It's a bit hard to drink though because the spices are so in your face. (758 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours a light copper with minimal head and lacing. The pumpkins really come out in the aroma. There is no mistaking this aroma. I just don't know if it makes a great flavor however. It lacks the usual spices one associates with pumpkins to round out the flavor. Even the high ABV is hidden by pumpkin. Hardly any beer qualities in the flavor. A medium body with low carbonation. If you like the taste of pumpkins you will probably enjoy this beer. I thought I did but it was just too overwhelming for me. I could taste pumpkins for a couple hours after drinking this bottle. (574 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Light, orange-tinted gold with a small fizzy head that soon dissipates into a persistent ring of lace.

S- Rich pumpkin and sweet squash in the aroma, with a touch of nutmeg and other spices. However, the aroma is more about the actual pumpkin, it seems, than in most other beers of the style, which seem to focus more on the spices. Very nice.

T- Oh yeah... that's what I'm talking about. Very heavy on the pumpkin with a rich, almost buttery flavor. This flavor is backed and complemented by a great maltiness that gives it a depth that I've never before experienced in a pumpkin ale. There's even a light hop bitterness on the finish that lets you know that this is a beer and not some kind of pumpkin soda. Very impressive and very, very good.

M- Moderate-full body with a good level of carbonation. Not too thick, but substantial.

D- Yes, it's alcoholic and rich, but I can't stop drinking it! Plus, the alcohol is hidden very well. This is one of the more drinkable 9% ABV beers I've ever had.

This is the best pumpkin beer I've ever had, hands down. I really didn't know that a pumpkin beer could be this good. I always regarded pumpkin beers as little more than novelties that were good for a change of pace during the fall, and that was it. Not anymore. I'd drink this beer year-round. Of course, I imagine that during a chilly fall evening it would be absolutely sublime, but something this good can't be limited to one season. I may have to go out and stock up so I can at least have some for the whole winter. Anyway, that's enough praise from me. If you can find this, go out and get some immediately. Highly recommended. (1,641 characters)

Pumking beer review

I love seasonal beers, be they in the spring, summer, fall or winter, but this by far is my most favorite seasonal beer. I have tried many of pumpkin beers, all of them unique and enjoyable, but this is deserving of the title of "King of Pumpkin Beers". I've had this remarkable brew several times, and finally brought a bottle home to review. First off, this beer is amazing...it really smells and tastes just like a slice of pumpkin pie. There is an opaque creamy head when first poured into the tasting snifter. The color is a crystal clear orange, absolutely clear of any haze or sediment. The aroma is absolutely heavenly, with a mix of cinnamon, cloves and of course pumpkins. The taste is, well, you better get off your ass and find a bottle of this extraordinary ale before it's all gone. (817 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

22oz to goblet, pours a beautiful orange shade with golden hints, cream colored head fades to lacing

smells of gingerbread cookie minus most of the ginger, spiced and creamy smelling, wow!

taste is pureed pumpkin off the bat, spices blend in and give it a nice pie like quality without the sweetness, my guess on spices is nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, perhaps more?, alcohol is virtually hidden but hides in with the light hopping/bitterness, creamy biscuity backbone, loads of complex flavors, one of the best pumpkin ales ever! very pumpkin-y in the aftertaste, almost like dipping into a pumpkin with a spoon and taking a bite.

mouthfeel is light yet weighted, good carbonation, nice spice combo, a treat of a beer, another wonderful concoction from southern tier! (766 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -14.9%

I bought a big bottle and poured into small highball glasses, I was sharing. Very nice of me huh? The appearance was amber colored with a slight body to it.
The smell had typical pumpkin pie smells to it, slight nutmeg, perhaps some cinnamon. It didn't smell perfumey though like some other pumpkin beers out there.
The taste is where this became a slight letdown. I was excited that it wasn't so heavy on the aroma and anticipated a pumpkin beer that wasn't too sweet. Well it deleivered there but it didn't really have much taste at all. The major taste throughout the beer was nutmeg with a hint of clove on the finish. Where was the pumpkin?
If they had named it the nutmeg ale, it would have been more appropriate.
Other than the misleading name of the beer, this is a decent beer. I would serve it with turkey, regardless of the absence of pumpkin, because it is flavorful. (881 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +12.4%

I poured this ale from a 22oz brown bomber bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A= This ale poured a very clear light orange color with a 1.5" snow white head. The head quikly dropped to a thin skim. Average carbonation release throughout.

S= Aromas are a bit muted, but predominantly consist of pumpkin, pumpkin pie spices, toasted malts, and a very distant alcohol.

T= Taste was incredibly pleasant, a complex combination of pumpkin pie, toasted pumpkin seeds, and sweet maltiness, and a slight alcohol warmth in the finish.

MF= I like a well carbonated beer, and this one made me happy. It was crisp throughout without being fizzy.

D= This ale was a revelation. I am not usually a fan of fruit/vegetable beers but this was incredible and will definitely make an appearance at my Thanksgiving table. (809 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours an apricot color with a very clean look. Head is subtle. A thin white surface layer tops it off. Pretty normal for the style.

On the nose, I smell a nutty pumpkin (roasted pumpkin seeds) aroma, along with a nutmeg and cinammon. Doesn't "blow me away" but I DO like the roasted smell. It definitely smells like pumpkin.

Sipping reveals a nicely balanced flavor between sweet and bitter. Pumpkin flavor hits my palate right away, but is quickly followed by the spice of nutmeg and a hint of pumpkin pie sweetness. a hint of alcohol comes through on the finish to "burn" my tongue a bit.

Fairly well-balanced feel. CArbonation is not too high at about 55 degrees, while the finish tends to dry a bit due to the alcohol. Very nice.

Very drinkable brew. This would go nicely with a few cookies or animal crackers or something with gingerbread maybe...very nice! (868 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a super clean, clear orange color with an orange head that is thick, dense, and fluffy. Immediately, the presence of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and "pumpkin" hits your nose. The flavor mimics the aroma profile...liquid pumpkin pie...absolutely awesome. The flavor helps to solidify what you are trying to detect in the nose. It has a medium body, and a finish that lasts for a long time even after you swallow. Also, the 9% ABV is a nice treat...I guess you would say it's the whipped cream of this serving.

In typical Southern Tier fashion, this beer offered me more direct pumpkin pie flavor than any other Pumpkin Ale I have tried. (642 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -4%

I reached for a nonic pint when I saw that the bottle said to serve in a goblet. Who am I to argue with that?

Pours bright, clear, bubbly, basketball orange, virtually no head to speak of.

Smells like a ginger snap. And yeah, there's pumpkin.

And yes that is a definite pumpkin pie taste, very spicy hints of ginger and cinnamon. Some caramel sweetness on the finish.

The body is lighter than I'd have expected, nothing wrong with that.

What can I say, if you're in a pumpkin mood, look this one up. (505 characters)

ok this is a very good beer but it does not taste like pumpkin pie .its a brown ale with more spice and for 9.0 the alcohal doesnt hit you to later . 7 bucks for a bomber i guess ill buy maybe 2 0r 3 more before halloween. southern tier makes real good stuff (258 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +8.9%

Easily the best pumpkin beer, ever? Mayhaps.

Thanks TenderMorsel for tossing this awesome extra my way.

Pours a rich, brilliant, viscous golden orange hue. Maybe a touch of orange. Clear, and light looking, frankly.

But the aroma... oh my lord, the aroma. It's like sticking your nose over a freshly baked loaf of pumpkin bread. Dense, bready aromas mingle with a pumpkin pie spice and a roasted walnut note. This is awesome. This is everything aroma in a beer can be.

The taste is almost as shocking as the appearance in how it comes across (frankly, after the aroma, a deep, hazy, dark brown color would have been my guess if I hadn't seen it first). It's substantial without being rich. It's not sweet... at all (fucking Avery, TAKE NOTE). Spices are noticeable, but not prevalent, they don't overwhelm the palate in the slightest. It's a pleasing and easy drinking experience.

I might be a bit harsh on the taste score, I didn't LOVE the taste of the beer, but I loved to inhale it, and I loved to drink it, if that makes sense.

Every year... this is the one that all others will henceforth be judged against, and that I will actively seek out when I can afford to. (1,175 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

On tap at Beer Run in Charlottesville, VA. Served in a 10 oz. snifter.

Appearance: Clear amber with sparse and slow carbonation, a great, fine-bubbled, slightly off-white and dense head with great retention and nice foamy islands of lacing.

Aroma: Wonderful pumpkin cookies or pumpkin bread - a very authentic and wonderfully pleasant and pungent aroma - with lots of good spices, nutmeg and allspice being the strongest. There's a few other grainy notes - brown rice and wheat, for instance - but this one's really all about sweet, spicy pumpkin.

Taste: Very simplistic here, but that's not a bad thing. Ultra pumpkiny - pumpkin bread and spices, mild hop bitterness, a few leafy hop notes. A little dryer than you expect from the nose. Not overspiced of inauthentic/extract-like - just lots of good pumpkin puree notes.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thickness, slightly uneven, medium-bodied. Leaves a bit of a funny pumpkin aftertaste, but it's not too distracting.

Drinkability: No taste of alcohol, but it's definitely up there - the 10 oz. snifter was just enough. That being said, probably the best pumpkin beer I've ever had. Very authentic and well balanced, well-spiced, and scrumptious. Recommended. (1,205 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +5%

Had on tap at Buk's in Boston. Served in a 12 oz tumbler, pourd a dark orange with a good size off-white head. Smellso fo cinammon and pumpkin pie with a hnt of roasted dark malt. Great flavor. Good sweet, malty base with a nice finish of pumpkin pie, cinammon and sugar. Not over done at all on the pumpkin flavor and does not seem artificial like some do. Great beer. Would session it, but at 9% it may be dangerous. (418 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

A clear, orangish body presented itself when poured into a goblet (followed directions on bottle and chilled at 40 degrees) with minimal head. I could go in detail about the spices, cinnamon and nutmeg, and the mild sweet malt/bread malt smell but I will describe the aroma in three words: pumpkin pie crust. Well, four, burnt pumpkin pie crust (maybe a touch of toasted malt). The taste is even better than the smell, as it is straight pumpkin pie. I love pumpkin pie, so that's why I rated taste so highly. It is smooth, medium-bodied, with some pepper and clove tucked behind a massive rush of pumpkin, cinnamon, hazel and a touch of bread. This is pumpkin pie to me. As great as it tasted, and at 9% they hid the ABV well (there is a slight warming sensation, but not an alcohol burn), I could only drink one bottle of this. I think sessioning this would turn my stomach. (875 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -8.4%

A - Off copper/orange with a modest head and no lacing or visible carbonation.

S - Pumpkin/squash pie.

T/M - Pumpkin pie in a glass. Very nice actually, with a nice blend of pie spice, e.g., cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin, dark bread. Very smooth with a nice creaminess and light carbonation that rounds it out.

D - Very nice but not something I could drink all that much of. This is a swell ale for handing out candy to the neighborhood kids and maybe as an after dinner treat come Thanksgiving. You know... with pie. :) (519 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +22.8%

pumpkin pie in a glass, tons of nutmeg and a pinch of cinniman with generous amounts of pumpkin in the mix, so far this is the king of the mountan as far as pumpkin ales go. this has flavor for days. the alcohal is hiden well in this one is a beer amoung beers, the top shelf no question. this is a beer i will buy ten of so that i can have them all year long. (360 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -24.3%

Amber/ orange color with a thin off-white head. Serious aroma of straight-up pumpkin pie - crust and all. This one seems to go for a more nutmeg/ hazelnut/ amaretto angle rather than most of the cinnamon/ allspice versions out there. The flavor is wild-ass pumpkin pie in a bottle, more so than others - much more. It's so good that it's bad. I hate it. But not really. It's not so much sweet as it is RICH. Like graham crackers baked with Crisco. But I can't finish this. It's cloying. But the aroma is delicious - food delicious, and the first few tastes are like dessert. But I can't go farther than an eight ounce pour. Split the 22oz. bottle with three people. (665 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +11.4%

L: Pours a nice orange color with a tall and thick off white colored head that takes some time to settle. Laces some on the way down.
S: The aroma of this beer hits you in the face and I loved it. Big smells of nutmeg, sweet pumpkin, cinnamon, and a bit of vanilla.
T: Follows the aroma as it is sweet malts, sweet pumpkin puree, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla tones up front. It as a bit of a more bitter aftertaste.
M: Very spicy, fresh, and warming with a nice amount of carbonation.
D: Very drinkable as I was able to finish it, and when it was done I just wanted some more. (577 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +2.7%

22oz in my Piraat snifter

I thought this was one of the best pumpkin beers that I have ever tasted. It poured golden to copper and had a huge nose of nutmeg and spice. I did not find it terribly sweet but like a pumpkin cookie. It had some notes of gram cracker to. I think it hides the 9% abv very well not hot at all. I would have another. I think this bee would pair well with a pumpkin mousse pie very nice because of the gram cracker notes. (446 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +5.2%

A- Pours a light amber with a quickly dissipating head

S- Wow, this smells incredible! It smells like cinnamon, nutmeg, graham cracker, pumpkin, and brown sugar.

T- This doesn't resemble any particular style of beer. It's as if the beer was designed around the pumpkin pie flavor, however I do still enjoy it. The flavor is sweet, with a very strong cinnamon flavor, but the nutmeg, pie crust, pumpkin, and brown sugar all come through as well. A slight alcohol warmth is detectable.

M- It doesn't feel syrupy in spite of how sweet it is. It's not even as sticky as I would have thought based on the smell.

D- It's highly drinkable, however the alcohol is not as well-hidden as in some other ST imperials. (709 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

22oz bomber into nonic.

Clear honey amber hue with a slight orange tint. The head is eggshell white, thick, smooth, and frothy. Slowly settles to a thick cap, leaving behind thick patches of lace. Solid rings of lacing along the glass.

Very aromatic. The cinnimon travels far from the glass. Very creamy, with smooth, authentic, pumpkin pie aromas. The similarities to a pumpkin pie are so close I can almost smell the crust. A little bit of nutmeg is in there mixed with light spiciness. The alcohol aromas are hidden well.

Smooth, grainy, lightly toasted malts are well hidden by the pumpkin flavors. Not quite as smooth as the aroma though. Just a touch of spice to balance the light creaminess. The alcohol comes out a little as it warms. Full bodied, good carbonation. The finish is the lingering pumpkin and spices.

One of my favorite pumpkin ales so far. This one does a good job of mimicing pumpkin pie, which my mom always makes at Thanksgiving. Smooth and creamy with just the right amount of spices. Not really any notable hop bitterness (as it should be), mostly a sweet beer, with the balance coming from spices. Good job with this one for a beer that's very hard to get right. Recommended. (1,209 characters)

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company