Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,871 | Hads: 7,080
4.21/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Wow, this would be great to share with a lady friend. Pours orange (nice), completely headless (worrisome). Aroma is amazing... smells like real pumpkin and excellent spices, somehow also conveying a breadiness to imply crust. Flavor is nearly as good as the smell with some warming alcohol, pumpkin, and maybe a bit too much spice flavor. Fairly smooth with a slightly dry finish and lingering pumpkin pie aftertaste.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Best pumpkin beer I've had hands down, yet. The spices are their but what is so great is the actual pumpkin flavor they have captured in the beer, it's not just over whelming spices. Alcohol is very well hidden, and color is jacko latern orange.

4.17/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I don't likepunpkin spice flavored ales. Never have. Thought I never would. This one just changed my mind. Truly wonderful balance of flavors, medium-light body, warming alcohol, pumpkin-orange color, soft carbonation, malt-and-spice aroma and a fine clean, dry finish. Very well done, Southern Tier!!!

3.68/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 22oz bottle into pint glass

Appears dark golden, not quite copper. Healthy finger of off-white foam settles to thin cap with many small carb bubbles at the surface. Carb bubbles stick to the side of the glass, but few bubbles are seen moving once the beer settles. No lacing

Smells simply amazing. This is the first pumpkin style ale that I have smelled that offers more than just the expected spices. Cinnamon and nutmeg, and a slight apple are backed by a toasted, sweet bread component. This smells like pumpkin pie--crust and all!

Taste is not as rich as the nose made me expect. I was thinking this was going to be a malt bomb, but in fact it is quite hoppy. Light maltiness is quickly overcome by a gradually increasing but overall mild to medium hop bitterness. Finish is toasty, not nutty, and aftertaste is still dominated by bitterness over malt.

Mouth feel is excellent. Tipping just past medium bodied, this is still pretty drinkable for a high ABV autumn seasonal. Subtle carbonation that is noticeable but not prickly. Overall smooth and creamy for its light body. Very nice when tasting pumpkin pie notes.

Overall, I think this is a great beer. Every year I want to find a pumpkin I like, but I usually give up after a couple of tries because to me they usually taste like spices were just forced upon a standard ale (sorry, Shipyard). This is the first pumpkin style that I actually enjoyed both for its seasonal gimmick appeal but also as a stand-alone solid beer. A constructive criticism would be that it could use a little more malt in the backbone. Try this!

4.49/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Overall this beer is my liquid crack. I keep it all year round and drink it all year round.
Beautiful orange color when poured and smell is delightful. There is not much head, and the spices are not over powering. I don't like to eat pumpkin things but I LOVE this beer year round.

3.62/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

First had poured from 12-oz. bottle into nonic pint. Alcohol is big, with brandy-like finish, and Pumking has the definite flavor of a gourd: butternut squash?

4.09/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

L:Pours a clear orange copper. Little no head.

A: smells sweet and spiced. reminiscent of pumpkin smile cookies from childhood.

F&T: creamy gourdiness. Fall spices on finish but not over powering.

O: fall classic for a reason. Always have to have at least one.

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 22oz bomber to a tulip.
Dark yellow and clear.
Smells like a Thanksgiving kitchen. Allspice, nutmeg, cloves.
Taste is just like smell. Pumpkin pie all the way. Would go great with said pie.
There's a thickness to the feel. A really good cold weather drink.
Overall a great beer. Better to me later in the year.

3.29/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Clear orange color with a decent sized white head. Nothing subtle about this beer - strong nutmeg, spice, cinnamon and brown sugar aromas. Tastes like a pumpkin pie with extra brown sugar and twice the nutmeg. The only hint of beer is the warming alcohol presence at the end. I prefer the more subtle renditions more.

3.93/5  rDev -2%

Transparent orangish yellow liquid with very little extremely short lived head.
Smells of nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon and pumpkin.
Tastes of sweet spices and pumpkin that reminds me of canned uncooked pumpkin pie filling.
Feel is low to no carbonation and a medium lived spicy aftertaste.
Overall I kind of like it, Not my favorite pumpkin beer but certainly not a bad one either. I would love to try the rum barrel version.

1.26/5  rDev -68.6%

Nice pumpkin color but weak head. Nose has some more pumpkin with spice. Taste is terrible. Reminds me of fake over extracted pumpkin juice. Mouth feel is way too heavy. Lacks carbonation. Too boozy.

3.69/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a pint glass: color is copper, head is 1/2 inch thick, then dissipates to nothing, no lacing, no ring, no froth.

Smell is all graham cracker, biscuit, extremely feint pumpkin spice like aromas. That said, it still smells delicious and enticing, a unique pumpkin ale aroma.

Taste is similar to the aroma, heavy graham cracker like presence, but not the fullness in flavor that you might expect from wheat/biscuit; more pumpkin spice like flavors, mainly ginger and a touch of allspice.

Mouthfeel is bitter, a bit sharp and dry - tongue is overpowered by the stronger bittering hops & compounds.

Overall, this is a beer of great stature amongst my beer colleagues, but I have trouble with this one - is this years batch tilted toward more graham cracker like flavorings? I like it as an alternative to the overspiced or neutral pumpkin ales but find it needing balance in the spice/graham cracker flavoring.

4.06/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured a light copper color with a 1F head in a snifter.

Aroma: excellent. I haven't tried this beer for a few years. I like the Aroma much more than previous years:liquid pumpkin pie.

The MF enhances the beer. Tangy, Dry, carbonated, bitter.

The bitterness dwarfs the taste, which is lighter pumpkin, less than the aroma which remains strong during the tasting. The finish is bitter and dry, which adds character to the beer.

Overall, one of the better pumpkin beers. I wanted more in the taste.However, the aroma, MF, and finish add greatly to the tasting. Now to compare again with a Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin.

4.19/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Heard a lot of good and bad things about this beer. Found it at my local craft beer shop in a 22 oz bottle. It's unlike anything I've ever had. Pours a honey orange color with minimal head. Smells like pumpkin pie. I also smell some coffee liqueur. Sort of a tiramisu-esque alcoholic vanilla coffee note. The same thing comes through in the flavor. Some moderate pumpkin flavor with the usual baking spices, and a BIG hit of that tiramisu coffee-alcohol bitterness and sweetness. It's not misplaced, though. It tastes really good. I got a nice tinge of warmth and that comforting feeling in my spine after the first sip. I agree with others that the mouthfeel doesn't suit the taste. It's a big, heavy, deep beer, but it has a very thin mouthfeel.

2.69/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Awful. Smells and tastes like the worst part of cheap candy corn. And I really hate candy corn. I bought a 4 pack, and am going to have to give away the other three.

4.01/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from bottle to tulip, clear and light orange. Frothy head rises up, and is gone, gone with nothing to show. No lacing. Aroma is fresh pumpkin, sweet caramel malts, and spices. Freshest tasting pumpkin flavor I've had in an ale. A bit sour on the finish. While enjoyable, probably don't need to have this one again, one and done..

3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a golden honey color. Has deep aroma of cinnamon and sweet malts. Flavor is sweet, lots of spice- Cinamon, Clove, maybe cardamom. You get pumpkin and touch of vanilla. Has a balanced finish. Pretty smooth but flavor tails off quit. Overall good but a touch too sweet

4.25/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

from 12 ounce bottle into pint glass. aroma of cinnamon, nutmeg, flavor of the same, with a little fresh pumpkin. one of the more spice forward ones I've tried. really well built though

4.31/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

i am not generally a big flavored or fruity beer drinker but i will occasionally drink a seasonal like aprihop or punkin ale from dogfish head as the seasons change
as such i picked up a bomber of the southern tier pumking recently at my local bottle shop and WOW!
this is the strongest flavored beer i have had in some time
right off the bat the smell is cinnamon nutmeg ginger and pumpkin and the taste is literally like a big slice of pumpkin pie.....it pours orange with a creamy head and the flavor profile doesnt fade at all
every sip was like a bite of pumpkin pie
way too sweet and strong flavored for more than 1 bomber, in fact i would prefer it in a 12 oz as it is just too much but for a flavored seasonal, one of the more interesting beers i have ever had!

3.87/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bursting with flavor. Pumpkin, pie crust, tons of spice (almost too much), clove, nutmeg, caramel sweetness. Nice bitterness pop at the back end. A good pumpkin beer but a tad over the top. Wish the mouthfeel was creamier as well.

3.8/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark muddy orange with an off white/orange head.

Smells of roasted malt, pumpkin, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg.

Taste is big roasted malt backed by large pumpkin flavors saturated in pumpkin pie spice. This is a big beer with big flavor, but too much pumpkin pie sweetness for me. A little cloying.

3.96/5  rDev -1.2%

This one is kind of strange to me. The pumpkin on the nose and taste is pretty good. The spices are nice, but I don't think the mouthfeel fits what I expected from these flavors. I think these flavored are bettered suited for a thicker, darker style like a porter or stout. Overall, this was interesting, but not my favorite.

2.93/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: pale orange color with a thin head

Smell: heavily spiced sweet pumpkin aromas with a grainy malt backbone

Taste: The spice is just overpowering with little pumpkin taste. Also a grainy undertone in the taste

Mouthfeel: light medium bodied; comes off as thin, watery and a little boozy

Overall: I never really loved pumking, but i dont remember it being this bad. The best way i can describe it is like drinking perfumy pumpkin spice with grains. $17 a four pack is a joke. Never again. Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale blows this away at half the price.

3.8/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

You know, I must have gotten really lucky with pumpkin ales over the years. I've actually never had one that I disliked. Consequently, I'm usually flabbergasted when I hear people say that they hate pumpkin ales. Now that I've had this one, however, I can see why many don't like pumpkin ales. While I don't think this one is bad, it's very mediocre (and artificial). Here goes:

A: Partly hazy yellow. Good effervescence but the head is very small. No lacing.

S: Very...artificial. Smells like it's all added spice. Nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, and pumpkin seeds.

T: Like the smell. Almost like they took a regular pale ale and added spices.

F: Meh.

O: Just an OK beer. Very artificial, and this bogs down the flavor.

1.5/5  rDev -62.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Definitely wasn't feeling it at all. I haven't liked the Pumking for years, but for whatever reason it was actually decent for me last year. I dont know if that means the recipe was different or the bottle conditioning on this one was too young or what. It had a nice caramel malty taste but oh man, the plethora of cinnamon reminded me of that God awful Shipyard brew. I never drain pour, but this almost made me do it. No thanks

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company