Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,831 | Hads: 6,940
3.82/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle with a Barrelhouse Brewco Snifter glass
Noted on 12/24/2014

Received in trade from mdfb79 – Cheers Dan!

A: The Pumking pours a bright peachy orange body. It actually looks the color of pumpkin flesh. Quite a bit of cloudy disturbance to it. Thin layer of ecru foam comes to rest above. Slowly fades out to a crown leaving a few dots and ribbons of lace left behind.

S: Vanilla custard with graham cracker and pumpkin pie filling and spices. Like a crème brulee with cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg added. Getting some strong alcohol in the nose. Has an almost solvent quality to it. Other than that this smells quite decadent.

T: The flavor brings through more pie crust than actual pie filling. I get an all encompassing vanilla caramel crème sweetness to this and loads of graham cracker crust notes to go with. The pumpkin is earthy and lightly vegetal with a healthy spice mix of the traditional holiday players. Low bitterness and not really as thick as I had expected. Still sweet and kind of boozy at times while remaining a likeable nature.

M: Moderate full body with a slight creamy consistency. Low actual bitterness with a rather sticky texture to it. Touch of drying in the finish and some leftover sugary coating.

D: A pretty intense Pumpkin dessert brew. Love the vanilla custard pie notes and the spices are blended well. I enjoyed this quite a bit but probably couldn’t drink much of ‘em. Really glad I had one sent my way none the less. I can see why they call him the King. (1,541 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Some say it's too sweet, some don't, some like it some don't, this is the best Pumpkin beer on the market..that's all you need to know, it's actually brewed in a 30' by 30' pumpkin hollowed out, then they throw in spices and pie crust and stuff into it! (253 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

What can I say that hasn't already been said. I have 2 bottles in my cellar waiting for Halloween! This is the bar by which all seasonal pumpkin beers are measured. (164 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

Appearance - 4/5
Pours a light copper orange with about one finger of head upon initial pouring. Dissipates down quickly. Extremely clear. Lots of carbonations can be seen rising up the beer.

Smell - 4/5
Pumpkin, a bready, maybe slightly spicy aroma. Can't quite describe it. Maybe pie crust smell? Whatever it is, I like it. Maybe some cinnamon.

Taste - 3.75/5
The pie crust flavor is prominent here (now that I look at the bottle it says one of the flavors is pie crust). Sort of a cinnamony taste, along with other fall spices and some bready aspects. There are a lot of great spices going on here, but I can't really taste the pumpkin. Orange/citrus, along with some malty sweetness.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Medium bodied, medium carbonation, crisp.

Overall - 3.75/5
The pie crust flavor is a little weird but quite unique which gives it some points. A good beer overall. (872 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +11.9%

Pumking is a fantastic brew, the taste of pumpkin is very evident, but not overpowering. Normally I am not a fan of flavored beers like this, but it is done quite well. (169 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

My buddy gets this by the 1/4 keg whenever his local liquor store gets it in. And I mean every time. A bit over priced, but completely worth it if you really want a great pumpkin beer and you're lucky enough to find it. Has an amazing pumpkin taste that really feels like it's 100% brewed-in, no extra flavor added. The aftertaste is just as good, and it sticks around for a little. It's very smooth, very well carbonated - not too much, not too little.

I tasted it once and fell in love with it. No other pumpkin beer can hold a candle. (546 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -63.3%

Every year the ABV drops, they brew more and more and of course the price goes up... Boooo Southern Tier, once great beer is lost in the shuffle with the hundreds of other pumpkin beers (186 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy light orange with a thin light head.
Smells a warm pumpkin cinnamon with malty undertones.
Tastes of hop vanilla, cinnamon and spice with a pumpkin taste dominating. Hop continues to resinate afterward. I do taste some orange rind.
Feel- Lots of things going on but quite drinkable.
Overall- this was poured from a bomber and was quite good, but when I had as a draft in the fall, it was great. Probably my favorite pumpkin beer. (446 characters)

Maybe a slightly biased review. But I do love this beer, my favorite out of everything I have had, actually. One of the few beers I get really excited to come out and that I will actively seek out. I tend to only try new things and Pumpking is definitely a huge exception. (272 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

idk first time trying this....everyone was telling "aww, try this man it taste like a pumpkin pie in the bottle'...tried it and idk what kind of pie there eating but was far from any pumpkin pie i ever had, lets just say it ended up in someones corn field on the way home (272 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

2015 bottle (12oz bottle) poured into tulip
Pours an amber color with very little head, not very thick. Smells just like pumpkin pie; spices like nutmeg and cinnamon stick out the most. The taste of the 2015 vintage is not as sweet as I remember previous years being, and on the opposite end tend to rely more on spice for flavor. This is a very good thing as I have thought Pumking was always too sweet. I thought the sweetness of the 2015 bottle was in good balance with the spices, when before the sweetness overwhelmed everything. The mouthfeel is slightly creamy, not very much carbonation so it goes down smooth. I was very happy with this beer overall and even though it's not even September I hope to have more when football season starts! (753 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

This years Southern Tier Pumking was a huge disappointment. Over Spiced, Over Rated and tasted like line cleaner. The Warlock on the other hand was a 5 of 5. (157 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Pumpkin Pie in a bottle... absolutely delicious... not a session beer(far too sweet), but the bomber is the perfect amount. Satisfying desert after a hard day's work or a big meal...your choice (193 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured from a 1pint 6oz. bomber into a Allagash flute.

The color is a clear deep copper with s finger of brownish/tan head and some nice lacing left on the glass.

The smell is sweet with a big brown sugar aroma. There is some pumpkin spice aroma here in the nose with a nice dough aroma mixed in.

The taste is pumpkin but has a juicy flavor like a fruit instead of a vegetable. The is some nice spicy flavor here like brown sugar and cinnamon. There is even a slight orange peel flavor that comes out toward the back.

The feel of this is actually medium to light bodied. This is a lot to this beer but it is highly drinkable and has a nice juicy feel that hides the higher ABV of this beer. (695 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

Pale orange blonde with white collar. 4
Incredible nose - pie crust, vanilla, whipped cream, Creamsickle, candy corn, and yes, pumpkin. 4.75
Squash, cinnamon, buttery crust, brown sugar, and some lemony grassy hops. 4
Cream soda finish and dry linger.
Almost medium, hot, fizzy. 3.5

It really does taste like pie: crust, cream, spice and pumpkin. I’m not sure I want that, smooth and integrated though it is, but it hits the concept like all this ST beers do - it’s just not as much fun as most of those. Too lean, too hot, a bit of work altogether - but oddly tasty, too. 4 (580 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

22 oz bottle, 2013 edition, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a very pretty, clear orange color with a quarter of a finger of white head that quickly faded away into an extremely thin, almost invisible, halo of foam that gripped the sides of the glass, but otherwise left no head to speak of.

Aroma: Tons of pumpkin and spices present in this beer! All-spice, brown sugar, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla all dominate the aroma. While I don’t get much in the way of hops, I do get some malt notes, like freshly baked sourdough bread. Very appealing.

Taste: Tons of spices here too! Pumpkin obviously, but a lot of vanilla, caramel, cinnamon, nutmeg too. Good malty backbone to round everything out. A little on the sweet side, but not at all overpowering or out of balance, at least not for my palate. Definitely not a sugar bomb. Finally, there is no hops bitterness to speak of, which I overall prefer.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, but with practically no carbonation to speak of. With an ABV of 8.6%, there is surprisingly little alcohol on the palate, which could make drinking this beer a little dangerous, in a fun way.

Overall: This is a delicious pumpkin beer. Great flavors of pumpkin and spices. I’m definitely getting this every year!! Several bottles, too! (1,304 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got a growler fill of this when it was in season (2014). Hands-down my favorite Pumpkin beer. This one is the pumpkin pie, nutmeg, with the whipped cream on top. Love it. (173 characters)

This is by far my favorite beer, period. I've tried numerous pumpkin brews this previous yr and this stomps them all without question. Anyone who says this beer tastes like candy corn, do not pay attention to them! I've disliked candy corn all my life and this beer tastes nothing like it. I'll leave u with this image/taste in ur head... Are u ready? Graham cracker vanilla-flavored Wheaties. Yes Wheaties the cereal. Think about it. (434 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Clear amber in color with a thick head that dissipates quickly to a thin lacing. Visible sediment (yeast). 3.75/5

S - Pumpkin squash, nutmeg, and cinnamon. More emphasis is placed on the spices than the squash. 4/5

T - Taste follows the nose nicely. Pumpkin is more pronounced than in the nose but the spices are near equivalent in balance. Ever so slight sourdough breadiness. 4/5

M - Very smooth with a clean finish. Slight lingering bitterness but not much. Moderate carbonation. 4.25/5

O - Probably the best pumpkin beer that I have had outside of Southern Tier's Warlock. 4/5 (599 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

2014. "Pumking is an ode to Puca, the mythical Celtic Horse beast said to entice careless travelers on to its back and take them on a terrifying night ride through the forest." Alright Puca, I'm ready for my ride....

The translucent copper-creamsicle ale crashes in to a goblet, forming an inch of lush foam. The linen colored head stands barely an inch, with densely packed bubbles and thin lacing around the rim. The glorious smell of fresh baked pumpkin pie fills the nose, complete with a buttery graham cracker crust. There's an assortment of pumpkin potpourri spices that serve to compliment the hearty gourdlike aroma. The first sip.... flavor overload. This beer is a sweet spice-bomb in the strictest sense. Each tiny sip packs enough flavor to embarrass most of its competition. The buttery, sweet malts are there, but you only get a fleeting moment with them before the spices come barreling in. There's also a slight hop bite that ties this beer together and keeps it from completely overwhelming your senses. At 8.6%, the alcohol is well hidden, but you could hide a Buick behind the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice. They stick to your palette like a burr, embedded until you raise the glass again to wash away the taste and start over. The mouthfeel is a little lighter than you might expect from a beer of this magnitude. A richer, fuller body would suit this brew well, creating an unparallelled seasonal dessert-beer. The current beer just doesn't have the constitution to support so much character. At any rate, this is a slow sipper. I can do one of these each year, and I continue to appreciate this outrageous ode to pumpkin pie. (1,657 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3

This review is specifically for the 2014 edition. I was not thrilled at all with the flavor of the brew at all. This was way, way too hoppy. In past years the flavor was all about the wonderful flavor of pumpkin and the spices that infuse those pies at Thanksgiving. This year, it was as if the pumpkin was an afterthought. Overall, the flavor did not come close to any of the past experiences. (394 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +17.6%

Damn!!! That's a pumpkin beer! I feel like I've tried them all since my wife is a self avowed pumpkin ale freak. We happened to see it on tap at a growler shop over the weekend and added it to her 4-flight tasting. Hands down the biggest pumpkin flavor. Like a fresh pie with spices and comfort food galore. A bit sweet for my taste but definitely a palate cleanser for all the porters and stouts we tend to consume around the holidays. (442 characters)

Poured deep orange with 1/2 thick head that lightly dissipated. S:rich pumpkin pie crust with cinnamon and nutmeg. T: almost spot on with how it smells; pumpkin pie crust with hints of cinnamon, nutmeg and slight hints of allspice. I have to admit, I'm a fan of the sweeter craft seasonal beers, and this is one of them. Best pumpkin beer I've had to date. Absolutely amazing. (376 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Tastes like pumpkin pie. I taste a lot of pie crust, a buttery, flaky type of flavor. A lot of pumpkin spices. I feel like the pie crust flavor was most noticible. Also worth noting is that everything tasted natural. No artificial like flavoring to be had here. (266 characters)

This was drinkable, but just barely for me. I have had a few pumpkin beers, and while not my favorite style, this is one of my least favorite ones. The appearance was good, kind of an amber/orange color with little head and little lacing.

The smell was the one very pleasant quality, in that it smells almost exactly like pumpkin pie. Unfortunately what followed was not as pleasant.

The taste was alcohol forward over everything. It really shows through, which is not something I am quite fond of in my beer. Once you get past the pure alcohol flavor, there are the normal spiced flavors of a pumpkin beer. Then on the back end was another unpleasant funkiness flavor, something that I think may be attributed to the actual pumpkin in the brew. This was unpleasant and tasted of musty, slightly spoiled melon and nasty sweaty socks. This is the first pumpkin beer I have had that uses actual pumpkin in it, which I believe is causing some of these negatives that I have not tasted in other pumpkin beers.

Finally, the mouth feel was oily with a noticeable alcohol presence. I am not fond of a burning alcohol presence in my beer.

Would not seek out, purchase, or drink again. There are better alternatives if you are seeking out a pumpkin beer. (1,254 characters)

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company