2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 08-26-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,705 | Reviews: 1,669 | Show All Ratings:
dacrza1

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

DATE TASTED: November 2, 2013... GLASSWARE: Chimay goblet... OCCASION: post-Halloween weekend relaxation... APPEARANCE: beautifully clear, orange body that frames a bubbling cauldron of steady effervescence; a thin ring of white head produces a dearth of lacing--appropriately dramatic and dark... AROMA: sugary pumpkin, almond nut/butter scents weave with vanilla/cinnamon/nutmeg--complex and rewarding...PALATE: at 8.6% ABV, impressively smooth and medium-bodied; goblet-worthy smoothness with a delayed warming texture ...TASTE: brilliantly caramelized malts that provide a formidable base for the pumpkin puree; bewitching, even/especially for those of us not entirely agog over pumpkin flavored anythings...OVERALL: a victory in the genre...hate to make generalizations, but Southern Tier is bold, flavorful and easily drinkable in seemingly all of their beer profile--a possible Top Five US Brewery, if I were to draft a list...

11-16-2013 04:21:12 | More by dacrza1
Jackofallbrews

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Aroma: Powerful malty nose with a perfume-like vanilla and pumpkin-flesh aroma intertwined. I actually smell pie crust! Perfumy fruity esters present and a whiff of alcohol. Possibly some nutmeg as it warms.

Appearance: Light orange in color with crystal clarity. Large white head with fine bubbles that lasts for some time.

Flavor: Strong malt that was noted in aroma, but not cloyingly sweet. I get some hop flavor and bitterness in this beer. The mouthfeel is medium, but the taste ends with a slight astringency from pumpkin and hop. I do taste vanilla, nutmeg and cooked pumpkin. Some alcohol warming as it goes down.

Overall: Probably the best showcasing of the actual pumpkin flavor I've tasted. The pie crust flavor really takes this to the next level. The sweet flavors are well balanced by bitterness. I really like this one!

11-15-2013 21:55:10 | More by Jackofallbrews
bizweasel

Washington

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A guilty pleasure. Very far afield from the imperial stouts IPAs or Belgians I might usually drink, but Halloween is but once a year? And this is like the dessert you might drink after another 'serious' beer was consumed as 'main course'.

For once brewer's blurb of 'pumpkin pie in a bottle' is pretty much right on. Suspect they put lot of vanilla in here (or whatever they put in the Crème Brulee, which I don't like) but the pumpkin body and nice cinnamon spice blend kept that sickly sweetness of the vanilla-ish base in proper check for this beer.

Nice deep amber color. The nose actually does not reveal that much of the spice or sweet so when you get the flavors in the taste it's pleasant surprise rather than smells better than taste.

There are many many bad pumpkin beers but this is one of the better. Stands toe to toe with any of Elysian or Dogfish efforts in the pumpkin quasi-style.

11-15-2013 08:59:13 | More by bizweasel
uvachief

3.86/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer may have been overhyped before I tried it. Friends loved it. Bars were draining kegs of it quickly and it was one of the most popular craft beers in Richmond. Found a local grocer who had a few cases of the big boss bottles left. Tried it as my only beer last night. For a pumpkin ale, I don't think it is nearly as good as alewerks pumpkin ale. Howevet, I am clearly in the minority. Strong and bold. Doesn't have the pumpkin aroma or taste you expect. Strong and overpowering in my book. Rough feedback/after taste. Needs more aging?

11-10-2013 02:18:09 | More by uvachief
BeerDocT

Georgia

2.63/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance 3.5: Lovely golden-orange and completely transparent. Nice 1/4" head quickly faded.

Smell 3.5: Interesting bouquet. I smell a sweet malt and slight hoppiness followed by a strange coconut scent. No pumpkin that I can detect.

Taste 2.0: Front features a type of burnt cardamum flavor that is detestable and the overshadowing coconut scent and flavor makes it even worse. This fades quickly into a middle that is somewhat bitter, but even here the coconut and spice won't leave my palate alone. The finish is somewhat harsh with hints of saltiness and a strange marshmallow taste. In the aftertaste, some hops seep through, but the destination is not worth the journey.

Mouthfeel 3.5: Good. Certainly would enhance the taste of the beer but the taste is not...uh....not to my preference.

Overall 2.5: Not my favorite beer. I rarely (if ever) stop drinking a beer and get rid of it, but I did this time. In my opinion, there is just too much going on here in this brew and most of it is not to my liking. This Halloween pumpkin beer was certainly all TRICK and no TREAT for me. I'll never look at Pepe Lopez the same way.

11-09-2013 06:22:18 | More by BeerDocT
sasky7777

Saskatchewan (Canada)

3.05/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I really was excited to try this beer, after reading so much about it, but it came up short. I got an overwhelming amount of graham cracker in the aroma, and the alcohol was just too up front. It was an easy drinker though, and the colour was true to style. The hops take a back seat to the malt, but I would have liked less graham cracker aroma and taste, less vanilla, more spices. The pumpkin was there in the background as well. I think this is one of those beers with so much going on that personal tastes really come into play. A few tweaks here and there and I would have loved it, but then it would have been a different beer. Worth a try.

11-07-2013 04:44:31 | More by sasky7777
allengarvin

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into an English pint glass, this beer is a very light orange color, with a small head that fades pretty quickly away to just a film. The aroma offered is very nice: sweet malt, with a subtle spicy mix where no one component really dominates--I can pick out nutmeg, but barely--the blend is really nice. The flavor continues the perfect blend of spices, though it borders on being too sweet for me. There nice vanilla notes I didn't pick up in the nose. There's some bitterness at the end but overall it's on the sweet side. The body is delightfully light for the strength. Personally, I'd appreciate a smaller-sized bottle, but this is a very good pumpkin beer.

11-06-2013 00:12:51 | More by allengarvin
Mojo

Alabama

3.96/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22 ounce bomber -> Westbrook Brewing snifter

A - clear gold with an initial thin head that doesn't last very long at all and no residual lacing.

S - Spicy nose with pumpkin and nutmeg notes.

T - caramel malts greet the palate giving way to dry and spicy finish with pumpkin flavors very prominent in the mix. For an 8.60% beer the alcohol is very well hidden.

M - thinner than expected with poor carbonation.

O - This beer made me believe that pumpkin ales are worth my consideration. My first two pumpkin ales were Shipyard <vomit> and Blue Moon <blech>. Then I had Terrapin Pumpkinfest and it was better than the aforementioned abominations, but it didn't convert me either. This offering may have made me a convert.

11-04-2013 00:33:59 | More by Mojo
Crafts_and_recreation

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

A: crystal clear golden-colored pour with a lightly colored head that doesn't last long but retains a nice lacing

S: this is far and away one of the best smelling beers I've ever had! There is a strong aroma of pumpkin, graham cracker, sweet malts, nutmeg, spice, and a bit of toffee

T: for as high as the ABV is here, it is surprisingly smooth and sweet, there is a strong flavor of pumpkin, caramel, and spice with a refreshingly alcoholic finish and lingering hint of bitterness

M: a little on the thinner side but with delightful carbonation and a smooth, drinkable consistency.

O: definitely in my top 3 pumpkin beers! Arguably my favorite. It has so much complexity and depth of character it is truly one of a kind. A highly recommended seasonal favorite.

11-03-2013 16:56:00 | More by Crafts_and_recreation
seydou

South Africa

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pretty copper color out of a bomber. Little head but maybe poured over-carefully. Noticeable carbonation. This would look good on a Thanksgiving table.

Smell is unreal. Strongest scent I've had since reviewing beer. For the life of me it smells like a Glade pumpkin spice candle. I can't figure out if strong is good, but it is appealing if not overpowering.

Smell carries over to the taste. It's smooth for a 8.6% beer, and that pumpkin just smacks you after you swallow. It's not as fake as other pumpkin beers, but it's not exactly integrated with the rest of the beer flavor, if that makes sense.

I think pumpkin beers just may not be for me.

11-03-2013 01:52:13 | More by seydou
Franziskaner

Missouri

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pale golden colored with minimal head that vanishes quickly. Great clarity with low carbonation. I get pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg and perhaps a bit of clove. The flavor is aggressively spiced in a similar fashion to the Warlock that I had just tried , but the baseline beer is much lighter in body. This is an aggressively spiced pumpkin brew that offers a lot of flavor. Pumpkin, with lots of cinnamon and nutmeg is what you get with the taste.

11-02-2013 04:00:14 | More by Franziskaner
magictacosinus

4.16/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks very much for the bottle, angrybabboon - bottled 08/07/13. Poured into a tulip glass and split with others. Consumed while watching "Dead Alive" on Halloween. Yay, pumpkin beer and gore!

Pours a very assertive orange color (as you'd hope a pumpkin beer would look) with some amber tones. I did give this an aggressive pour, but it yielded a very small, one finger worth of an off-white head that eventually dissipated into a modest ring. Definitely swirling it reveals it to be a far larger beer than it may seem at first, with some thick tears gliding downwards off the glass's edges. A big pumpkin beer here - although far more refined looking than, say, Shipyard's Smashed Pumpkin.

There's a delightful array of spices that immediately hit the nose on this, with definite notes of pumpkin and slight bitterness, yet, again, it seems these spices are the ones winning here. Immediate notes of brown sugar, allspice, almonds, nutmeg, and ginger are the most predominant, with then some pumpkin and butternut squash following soon afterwards. It reminds me far more of a gingerbread cookie than actual pumpkin pie here, but it's still very flavorful and enjoyable. Far sweeter than I expected this to be, although the notes of toffee and caramel from the malts could most definitely get cloying in the long run. This doesn't smell like any other pumpkin beer I've had to date - I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying it even here.

The flavor is a little bit more predominant in displaying the pumpkins, but as this IS a ST beer, they can't help themselves in terms from enjoying their sweet stuff. The palate is first awash with nutmeg, ginger, orange peel, cardamom, brown sugar, and allspice, which envelop into the pumpkin notes at middle of the palate and combine with the breadiness from the hops to finally make this truly taste like a pumpkin pie of sorts. The result is uncanny - along with the creaminess in the mouth feel, I could close my eyes each time and imagine an actual pumpkin pie right in front of me. It has the feel of Belgian beers, which makes it extra thick and slightly funky with notes of pears and apricots. Can't find the hops on this, unfortunately, but there definitely is a bit of herbal bitterness at the finish. Did I mention how well the alcohol is hidden on this? Really easy to drink - I hate syrupy, sugary sweetness but the vast diversity of spices and wonderful squash notes made this very easy overall - at least when split.

I really wish I had another bottle of this for Thanksgiving or something. This far less sweet than I expected, and the notes of spices and slight vegetal character, as well as the creamy mouthfeel, made this a unique drinking experience as far as offerings in the style go. I'd gladly have another - maybe on-tap - but it's definitely recommended to split. I split EVERY bomber I buy anyways, but this is definitely something that wouldn't be the worst idea to offer in 4 or 6 packs for the sake of practical drinking.

11-01-2013 18:29:16 | More by magictacosinus
TreyIsWilson

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

A - Pours a bright orange with a one-finge foamy white head.

S - Pumpkin pie is very present. Sweet dough and toffee.

T - Sweet candied pumpkin, nutmeg, and brown sugar. Nice little hop kick in the finish.

M - Light mouthfeel with medium carbonation. Smooth creamy mouthfeel.

O - A very drinkable pumpkin beer. This makes a real nice desert beer.

11-01-2013 01:29:39 | More by TreyIsWilson
dheacck11

Connecticut

3.74/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

a surprisingly pumpkin colored pumpkin ale. Not much of a head.

Nose like gingerbread and spices. Lots of clove and cinammon.

Taste is similarly very heavy on the cinammon. Nice light malt flavors to accompany. Little bit of clove and molasses as well

Feel is on the medium side.

Nice potently spicy pumpkin ale. One of the spicier around. Not actually my favorite, feel like the spices over ride the actual beer qualities.

10-31-2013 23:36:30 | More by dheacck11
maxcoinage

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured 22oz bomber (dated 10/3/13) into two tulips ( split with wife), white head. Color is a darker orange.

Aroma is fantastic pumpkin spices - cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger

Taste is like sweet pumpkin pie, same flavors as the aroma and some pumpkin - best flavored pumpkin beer our there!

Mouthfeel - solid medium body, medium carb

Overall - best pumpkin beer our there,what better day to enjoy then on Halloween !

10-31-2013 22:36:27 | More by maxcoinage
bigaltemple

Colorado

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz. DOB 8/17/12

Amazing color! Bright, copper orange with a two finger, off-white head. Turns to an 1/8" cap that leaves some great lacing.

Super sweet, definitely pie aroma. Brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice are all easily detected.

Translates well to the taste. Get a lot more pumpkin meat with the spices. A mild bitterness comes through that helps keep it from being cloyingly sweet. Medium body with a creamy carbonation. Coats the palate well.

Delicious! Among my favorites of the style.

10-30-2013 03:53:32 | More by bigaltemple
BWED

3.94/5  rDev -3%

I brought my own to St. Peter's Bakery pizza night, St. Peter's, PA. Bomber poured into a wine glass.

A- Clear golden pale orange. Light bubbly off white head. Retention isn't much there, and is assisted with some agitation.

S- Lots of spice. Allspice and cinnamon. Almost more of a carrot cake aroma, than a pumpkin, but this is pleasant.

T- Pumpkin comes into the taste. Spices blend in with the pumpkin at the end. The aftertaste is bitter and the spice is dry, like I'm doing the cinnamon challenge (but not quite.)

M- A bit creamy and spicy. Slight bitterness in the finish.

O- Great beer. The aroma is to die for. I really love it, even if I compare it to carrot cake (has anyone made a carrot cake beer?.) Aftertaste is my only knock on this beer.

10-29-2013 02:38:11 | More by BWED
DenisKolkin

Ontario (Canada)

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

100th Review!! Wanted something special and delicious for this review. - Consumed October 26th, 2013. Purchased at LCBO for $9.05 CDN.

Appearance - Clear copper / pumpkin colored beer. Thick rich 1 finger of off-white head looks like whipped cream on top of pumpkin pie. Head lingers for a bit. Beer is crystal clear and some bubbles are present.

Smell - intense pumpkin pie aroma, spices, nutmeg, cinnamon and a bit of brown sugar. Also a underlying buttery pastry scent reminiscent of the homemade pie crust. A beer where these scents are magnified as the beer warms. Absolutely mouth watering.

Taste - Wow! As if the aroma couldn't even be improved upon this somehow does it. Pumpkin pie, buttery pastry, brown sugar. Basically the same as the nose in all other respects except even bigger and bolder. Booze is perceptible after some warming and after 1/2 the bottle is gone, especially when your tongue is coated in rich pumpkin goodness.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, rich creamy heaviness that makes it almost syrupy, but it is not due to a medium body. perfect level of carbonation. As mentioned above bite from alcohol content is extremely well disguised until beer warms up a bunch and you're more than halfway through the bottle.

Overall - While I have limited experience with pumpkin ales, this is definitely my favorite I've had this season and truly wonderful with intense flavors and aromas. However, other buyers seem to have caught on since when I went back to a location that supposedly still had inventory, they were all gone. Will keep looking for this marvelous beer in hopes that I could try it once again.

10-27-2013 03:22:52 | More by DenisKolkin
Dapuma

Arizona

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Was comparing this side by side with Schlafly and O'Fallon

While better than O'Fallon it was not nearly as good as Schlafly pumpkin ale

It was thinner, higher IBU (bitter) and the spices were much less complex

Not a terrible beer and better than most pumpkin ales, but this does not scream "I cannot want to drink another one" where Schlafly makes you say wow this is simply amazing

So it has a good rep as better than most, but not the best

Cigar City (have not tried) is really the only contender IMO to Schlafly Pumpkin Ale and this is one of my favorite styles of beer

10-26-2013 04:50:15 | More by Dapuma
CMUbrew

3.98/5  rDev -2%

A: Bright golden-orange color. No head to speak of, just a tiny wisp of foam on top.

S: Pumpkin pie spice is obviously prevalent, but it is not excessive. There's also a sweet, doughy, graham-cracker crust aroma.

T: Sweet, spices, and a touch of the crust flavor. The spices are not overpowering, which is a big plus. No sign of alcohol.

M: Thinner than I was expecting, but it drinks well.

O: I really enjoyed this. The spices don't overpower, the crust element is very enjoyable, and it's just a good beer overall.

10-26-2013 01:31:45 | More by CMUbrew
tronester

Oklahoma

4.04/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a clear orange with a thin tan head. Massive aromas of eggnog and nutmeg. Taste begins with some some huge cinnamon, then some pumpkin, followed by some cream. The finish is a spicy bitterness. Mouthfeel is good. Overall a very flavorful pumpkin ale.

10-25-2013 00:16:59 | More by tronester
delta490

3.2/5  rDev -21.2%

A- a deep clear amber with about one finger of foamy head. A small trickle of carbonation is visible from the the bottom of the glass. There is a small amount of head retained.

S-candy sweet. Smells like toffee covered popcorn.

T- a slight amount of spice is dominated by the sweetness. There is the same candy sweetness and little of the pumpkin. Reminds me of a pumpkin candy, overly sweet and oddly spiced.

M-no complaints here. Thinner, but fitting with the flavor. Any thicker and it would be like drinking corn syrup.

O- It seems to be trying to emulate a pumpkin pie, but it lacks the savory depth that dish provides and just hits sweet hard and often.

10-24-2013 21:39:54 | More by delta490
Tuey13

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a clear orange amber color with a half finger bright white head.

The smell... wow... like everyone has stated, pure pumpkin pie... even the graham cracker crust is there... vanilla... pumpkin pie spices... smells heavenly!

The taste follows the nose... buttery pumpkin, pumpkin pie spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove) vanilla sweetness almost like whipped cream, a toasted taste kind of like the crust. Just amazing how much this is like drinking pumpkin pie. There is a wonderful malt and hop balance as well. To me, the alcohol was almost hidden... even as it warmed... i did not even notice the alcohol at all.

In my opinion... this is phenomenal! Pure delicious and perfect for the fall season! I always get this every year but have never reviewed it! If you have never had it..GO BUY IT!
Unless you hate pumpkin pie or pumpkin beers... it is a necessity!

Cheers all.

Happy Halloween!

10-23-2013 07:01:17 | More by Tuey13
schuim

Netherlands

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%

The aroma stuke me as the most interesting part of this beer. Almonds, cookies, and Indian cuisine we flavours in this strong Pumpkin beer. in the taste these elemants were there to, but way less than in the aroma. Orange collored and a thin layer of foam. If it was possible I would have snifted this one instead of drinking it.

10-22-2013 09:15:48 | More by schuim
Mongrel

Maryland

3.79/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Does it have lots of flavor? Absolutely. Would I buy it again? Probably not.

Appearance is brighter (a glowing orange) and thinner than I expected. Actually looks like some kind of imperial IPA.

Smell is the best thing this beer has going for it - it's like warm pumpkin pie a la mode.

Taste: hops and tangy orange peel up front and it almost tastes like an IPA for a second. But from that point on I would say I was drinking egg nog if I was blindfolded. Creamy, tangy, with tons of nutmeg, vanilla and brown sugar. There's a lot of depth, but there's also a weird, artificial slickness and utter surprise to find this concentrated flavor profile in your beer. The actual pumpkin flavors finally come at the back end.

Overall, this beer is probably a one-time novelty for me. A tasty substitute for dessert, but hardly a true beer.

10-20-2013 23:07:40 | More by Mongrel