Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 08-26-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

3.31/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Southern Tier's Pumking last month for $7.49 at The Lager Mill. Even though it isn't fall yet it's sure to starting to feel like it with some cooler weather showing up so a Pumpkin Ale sounds pretty good, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The bottle looks pretty nice, it got a clean and eye catching look to it with plenty of information on the label. It poured a fairly clear golden orange color that took on more of an amber orange color when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a nice amount of spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a pretty high amount of sweetness followed by a very noticeable gram cracker like aroma which is pretty interesting. Up next comes eggnog like aromas with a creamy aroma really coming through along with an equal amount of spices with some cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg aromas coming through. I get a slight bit of natural pumpkin aromas, but it seems to be overpowered by the gram crackers and spices. I wasn't a big fan of the aroma the pumpkin seemed pretty covered up and the other aspects were just too dominating.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by lots of spices, all them that were in the aroma show up in the taste, but it's the cinnamon that shows up the most and it's just too dominant. Up next comes a nice gram cracker aroma that is pretty noticeable and it actually tastes like real gram crackers and it's followed by a light pumpkin like and fruity taste that doesn't give me that natural pumpkin flavor I look for in the style. On the finish there's a pretty noticeable creamy flavor with fairly low amount of bitterness and a light alcohol flavor with a spicy aftertaste with cinnamon sticking out the most. I wasn't a fan of the taste of the beer, it was too heavy on all the other pumpkin pie aspects and it really covered up most of the pumpkin flavors.

M- Somewhat smooth, a little creamy, sticky, a little crisp, medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was decent and seemed to work fine with this beer.

Overall I wasn't a fan of this beer and I thought it wasn't a great example of the style, i feel like this was more of a dessert beer version of the style but the problem was the sweetness and spices covered up most of those natural pumpkin flavors and that seemed to really hurt this beer. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was somewhat smooth and not filling, but the flavor didn't do a good job at holding my attention and half a bomber is more than enough for me, there's no way I would want to drink a whole bomber to myself, it would be way too much and I don't think I could do it. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel and appearance, they both worked well with this beer and the appearance was pretty good. What I liked the least about this beer was how over the top all the flavors were except the pumpkin, it didn't highlight the pumpkin, it just covered it up. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it just not something I enjoyed and I would only recommend it to people that prefer their Pumpkin Ales heavy on the dessert side. All in all this beer just wasn't for me, I could see how some people would like it but to me it just wasn't something that I would want to revisit. I wish it was much more balanced since the pumpkin flavors only showed up a little in the background. I think Southern Tier is a fairly solid brewery, but I haven't liked any beers from the Black Water series, I don't think this it's as bad as Creme Brulee but it isn't much better either. I appreciate the attempt but this one was a miss for me, better luck next time guys.

4.9/5  rDev +20.7%

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%

3.25/5  rDev -20%

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

On tap at Pinthouse Pizza in Austin, TX.

A - Pale orange with minimal head that quickly dissipates. No lacing.

S - Pumpkin, obviously.

T/M - Sweet pumpkin, dry finish.

O - First pumpkin beer I've ever liked. Guess I've been drinking the wrong ones!

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The beer comes in a deep orange color.

The aroma has weird fermented pumpkin aroma, but it's mostly just sweet and spicy. It's not quite pie for me, but more of a spice cinnamon pumpkin tart pastry. Not really deep, but super sweet and creamy.

The flavor is better with lots of pumpkin, but also lots of cinnamon spice and nutmeg and clove. The middle is really lots of body and vanilla and graham/biscuit crust. The finish is sweet with vanilla and nutmeg and spices.

This so far has been the best pumpkin beer I've had this season. The alcohol really hides itself. It's tasty as hell and drinks super easy.

3.25/5  rDev -20%

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Appearance:
Exactly what you'd hope to see in a pumpkin beer! A very vibrant orange body, that's as clear as water with a nice, steady stream of carbonation in attendance. This pumpking wears a fluffy, cream-colored crown for a head that recedes to a thin film after a few minutes with minimal lacing. If the head had better retention, it'd be perfect.

Aroma:
Pumpkin Pie, pumpkin pie and more pumpkin pie! Oh, and whipped cream! Pumpkin is dominant, followed closely by vanilla and cool whip. Cinnamon and clove are also along for the ride. Taking this in with eyes closed, I felt the need to reach for a fork.. It's that spot on!

Taste:
Follows the nose precipitously. Rich in pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Light hops hit the finish with a fair amount of alcohol present. It's not harsh however, considering it's 8.6% ABV! It's a bit sweet, but not overwhelming. Superb!

Mouthfeel:
Lightly carbonated and surprisingly light for a such a beer. Nice and creamy, I was really disappointed when I poured the last drop from the 22 oz. bottle.

Overall:
I love this time of the year... Mainly because I love pumpkin! As far as I see it, this is the pumpkin beer to beat. The disappointing news... Not a single distributor in the state of Iowa!

4.75/5  rDev +17%