Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 08-26-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros

groleau, Aug 11, 2013

Paul_Apsley, Aug 11, 2013

rcjennings, Aug 11, 2013

ChipMurray, Aug 11, 2013

ThrashMaster, Aug 11, 2013

First review, yet probably the 1,000th time I have been here. Never cared enough to comment/review on a beer yet, till now.

Appearance: 5
Why? Its just as I expect from a Pumpkin Beer. Golden orange. Perfect hue.

Smell: 5
Why? Its literally what I wanted/expected from a Pumpkin Beer. The smell is what I have been looking for, and haven't found till now. It smells like a deliciously heavy, thick cut of pumpkin pie with no room for negotiation.

Taste: 5+
Why? Ive had many "Pumpkin Beer"s, but none ever tasted what I originally imagined. I imagined a pumpkin pie, blended into a carbonated liquid, having characteristics of a beer. This is the first go that actually has a pumpkin taste. Usually its all "Pumpkin Spice" on top of an OK beer...or worse. This however, is an Autumn Lovers delight. You can taste pumpkin, as well as allspice, cinnamon, touch of nutmeg, even a hint of ginger. It tastes as it smells, like a freaking piece of delicious pumpkin pie, but less sweet. I just bought a whole case of this, its gold. My first sip was experiencing scratching a three year itch. I finally found what I had imagined to be out there. It was literally a dream come true. I cannot sing its praises enough. There is the initial "Wow..." followed by "Holy crap...FINALLY!!!" It is the ideal balance between the spice and the natural pumpkin flavor. Mild carbonation, heavy heavenly flavor. This is for lovers of complexity, pumpkin, spice, and Autumn/Harvest.

Mouthfeel: 5
Viscosity is about what I expected: complex and lightly effervescent. It feels thicker and more substantial than most, yet it does dissipate quickly. I would say it is similar in feel to Midas Touch. Carbonation is light and quick. This is a rich velvet that finishes clean.

Overall: 5+
This is a literal dream come true. When I first heard that such a thing existed as "Pumpkin Beer" this is literally what I dreamed of. All of the others have more or less sucked. The ONLY widely distributed brand that I haven't tried in this area is DFH, and I hope to try their entry soon. All of them suck. This blew me away. I bought out all but 1 beer that my local store had on hand. Was 11 total. Kinda large expense...but sooo worth it. Ive never just said, give me all you got, carte blanche, but I did, and I feel more than great about it. It is everything I wanted and more.

If you like pumpkin pie, pumpkin anything, and wished your love of pumpkin was also in sparkling, liquid form, LOOK NO FURTHER. This is all you have to know: THIS IS PERFECT. This is what you have been dreaming of. This is what is in the pot at the end of the rainbow.

Wyzen, Aug 11, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +17%

bernsteinhasselhoff, Aug 11, 2013
4.33/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Hot baby's mama! It's August and Raul is drinking a Pumpkin Ale? Hot diggity damn on a wet babies furnace! Raul always kinda had himself a thing for Pumpkin Ales, and he has to admit, when it hits September he has enjoyed a few Blue Moon Pumpkins on tap at Dodger Stadium - but that's another thing, my peeps.

On to a REAL Pumpkin Ale...

Wooo mama! Like the Wicked Witch Of The West doing three sixty's on her broom stick, this one has Raul buzzin! It's like this, it's like that, and it's like this and UH! Subtle spices and subtle pumpkin. Like waking up next to Alejandra Ambrosio after a bender: yes please!

RaulMondesi, Aug 11, 2013

c64person, Aug 10, 2013

EvilStar33, Aug 10, 2013

Colosdog, Aug 10, 2013
4.03/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Poured from the bomber into a nonic glass. Bottling date reads 7/22/13 so it's very fresh.

A-Pours a clear yellow/copper color with a shimmering orange glow. Head is paper thin and white and fades quickly but retains nicely when I swirl the glass. Leaves some faint lacing on the sides of the glass.

S-Probably the best smelling beer I've ever had. Nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin pie (obviously), very buttery, allspice, coriander. Spiced carby pie crust is there as well. Smells just like pumpkin pie.

T-Alcohol makes q quick flash at the front of the palate but fades into the spices (coriander, allspice, nutmeg, and cinnamon), then finishes with that buttery/pie crust flavor. Pretty good tasting brew. Definitely something to be sipped on and not chugged.

MF-Watery, over carbonated, and a bit dry. The finish is redeeming as it gains some creaminess.

O-My first pumpkin ale. I am pleasantly surprised. The nose on this is the best I've ever smelled. Tastes like pumpkin pie but is a bit too funky, maybe it takes some getting used to, but it's not a huge problem. A very good brew. I wish I'd bought another bomber.

Jacurdy60, Aug 09, 2013