Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 08-26-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

4.41/5  rDev +8.6%

From a 22 oz. bomber

If you are looking for a beer that tastes and smells like pumpkin pie this is for you. This beer pours rather smooth for the amount of flavor that is in it. The smell is all pie, you even get a hint of graham cracker crust.

There is a slight bitterness in the front but after that you taste pumpkin pie. There is a alittle alcohol taste but it is very slight.

This is a wonderful pumpkin beer but for being in a 22 oz bomber its alot to drink in one sitting. Its alittle overwelming. I wouldn't be able to drink alot in one night. For what it is its has one of the best flavors out there. I belive if it was thicker it would be even better.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

4.75/5  rDev +17%

2.68/5  rDev -34%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.25

I have sampled this beer each of the past several years and always turned down a full serving. But I want to write an informed review, so it's the whole bomber tonight. Here goes:

It's a good-looking beer, I'll give it that. It's copper-hued, with an ample supply of tight, dense, white bubbles that persist, but don't really leave any lacing. I was expecting this to be a sticky mess, but it looks much cleaner than I remember. Clarity is stunning for a beer of this color. It looks like a gem in a glass. Beautiful. Perfect.

Before I even bring it to my nose, I can smell the pumpkin and nutmeg. Nose over the rim, I get mostly nutmeg, but also a definite creamed-corn aroma, something I can't stop thinking once I notice it. This is reminiscent of school lunch. The smell only intensifies as it warms.

Aside from a bitter finish, it tastes almost exactly like it smells. I am drinking nutmeg-scented creamed corn. At least it's fairly dry, or finishing this would be out of the question. For now, it's merely doubtful. What was I thinking? The things we do for science...

On the tongue, it's light and clean, and would be easy-drinking, if not for the flavor and aroma. Alcohol is completely masked. I need something to kill the smell while I finish this. Maybe I'll drink it while I eat some kimchi.

Curiosity satisfied. I will not be drinking this again.

Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company