Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros

2.76/5  rDev -32%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.25

I have sampled this beer each of the past several years and always turned down a full serving. But I want to write an informed review, so it's the whole bomber tonight. Here goes:

It's a good-looking beer, I'll give it that. It's copper-hued, with an ample supply of tight, dense, white bubbles that persist, but don't really leave any lacing. I was expecting this to be a sticky mess, but it looks much cleaner than I remember. Clarity is stunning for a beer of this color. It looks like a gem in a glass. Beautiful. Perfect.

Before I even bring it to my nose, I can smell the pumpkin and nutmeg. Nose over the rim, I get mostly nutmeg, but also a definite creamed-corn aroma, something I can't stop thinking once I notice it. This is reminiscent of school lunch. The smell only intensifies as it warms.

Aside from a bitter finish, it tastes almost exactly like it smells. I am drinking nutmeg-scented creamed corn. At least it's fairly dry, or finishing this would be out of the question. For now, it's merely doubtful. What was I thinking? The things we do for science...

On the tongue, it's light and clean, and would be easy-drinking, if not for the flavor and aroma. Alcohol is completely masked. I need something to kill the smell while I finish this. Maybe I'll drink it while I eat some kimchi.

Curiosity satisfied. I will not be drinking this again.

3.25/5  rDev -20%

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%

4.18/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Pint glass

A: Amber with moderate carbonation, head turns into a lacing. The beer is clear with some haze

S: Pumpkin pie, bread, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, sugar, it smells amazing. A pumpkin pie in a glass.

T: Wow, there's a lot of flavor here. You get a huge taste of all the spices and the taste of pumpkin puree is there. You can definitely taste the alcohol but there's enough flavor to coat it. You can also taste a lot of sweetness similar to that of molasses. It's very bready at the end as well.

MF: Medium body that leaves a bready aftertaste as well as some alcohol. Not bitter at all. It's well carbonated so expect to belch quite a few times.

O: I thought this beer was awesome. The alcohol flavor is a little off putting but the smell and the other flavors are quite a treat. This is definitely one of the more bolder pumpkin beers around and if you're looking for something this fall with a kick, at 8.5% abv, this is it.

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 22 oz bomber.

A: Crystal clear golden yellow with some slight red tones. A very small head even with an aggressive pour. No lacing what so ever.

S: Smells like fresh baked spiced bread. Cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, clove. I think the smell is the best part of this one.

T: Malts combined with spices - cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. I'm not sure that I get pumpkin specifically, but flavors remind me some of pumpkin pie. Some sweetness but nicely controlled.

M: Lots of tiny bubbles even after sitting for a few minutes. Overall, a very thin brew. I might have preferred something with a bit more head and more body.

O: I have been looking for a good pumpkin flavored beer since I typically enjoy these flavors. This one was indeed better than some of the others that I have tried, but I'm not sure I want more than one...

4.04/5  rDev -0.5%

Second only to the much acclaimed Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier, Southern Tier's flagship Pumpkin Ale has awarded me with what I may only honestly describe as an awkward organoleptic experience; Confusing from the get-go with protuberantly salty, cookie and peanut butter aromatics that fascinate as aggressively cloy up the ol' sniffer, this monster evokes - with it's very unique character - visits to the local pastry shop or bakery.

No; You won't clearly discern the pumpkin. It might seem obvious enough if you're furnished by the indispensable facts beforehand, but it's a very unique aroma that doesn't fall neatly into one descriptor and is even more abstruse if you're having the beer in a more leasurely, less analytical eye.

In any case, the taste follows up on the nose and is not less of a mind blowing affair. Exceedingly saccharine and full but also very 'hot' it definitely qualifies as a sipper as it gets cloying very fast.

Just like the aforementioned odd case, this beer proves itself to be a incredibly hard to rate and examine. It strays so far from what ( even ) craft beer drinkers might think is the norm (or the norm 'spectrum' ) regarding balance and complexity that you really have no choice but to give in completely to the sensatory impulses and forget about checking criteria boxes.

3.92/5  rDev -3.4%

A - Crystal clear pale yellow with thin head that took some coaxing. Really no lacing to be seen.

S - Just like Fall. Huge cinnamon and nutmeg.

T - Again the cinnamon and nutmeg are strong with an deep earthy malt. For such strong flavors, the taste washes away quickly. Alcohol is present but well masked.

M - Southern Tier has always struck me as a bit thin with most of their beers. I think in this case it really helps. Despite the big flavor the body is somewhat watery.

O - I must say I'm not a big fan of these overly flavored beers, but I think Pumking does it really well. Until now Brooklyn Brewers Post Road Pumpkin Ale was the only pumpkin beer I've really liked since the flavoring is more subtle than most. Pumking takes the opposite route yet I still really enjoyed it. Many pumpkin beers can have a cloying sweetness but this beer does really well avoiding that. It delivers on the Fall time flavors yet because of it's thin body is still very drinkable. I'll definitely be picking this up again as we creep into Fall.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%