Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros

4.18/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a clear orangey copper with half inch head.

Smell is pumking sweet with spices of nutmeg and clove.

Taste is pumpkin pie spice probably more than pumpkin flesh. Definite clove, nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon stick.

Mouthfeel is light and refreshing. Had this been thick it may have lost its luster. Carbonation lower which helps the flavor profile be itself. Character more pronounced at warmer temps which I enjoyed also.

I like this better than last years and looking forward to having more. What a fantastic pedway into the fall and pumkin beers. Excellent job!

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

1 pt 6 oz bomber from Frougles. Born on 8/13/13

A - Clear, translucent orange. Peach. Poured with little to no head.

S - Pumpkins, buttered popcorn, toffee.

T - Pumpkin pie through and through, then the butter/salt finish. I sensed some orange and bread notes later on.

M - Carbonation spikes mid swig, then fades mysteriously fast. Mouthfeel is on the thin side.

O - Interesting, to say the least. The pumpkin comes through really well, though the buttered popcorn like mix seems odd.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

3.62/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

What a difference 1 year makes

Last year at this time the King was just starting to pop up and it was easy to fall in love with it, this years shipment was mass produced and tasted nothing like the '12 edition, they rushed the batch brewed on 7/3/13 which all bottles at every store seem to have time stamped on them

I actually did the same as another reviewer and poured a quarter bottle down the drain because I couldnt finish, i mean it's not horrible but compared to last years it is

2012 batch is a easy 5/5 brew

2.45/5  rDev -39.7%

I love pumpkin ales and look forward to the season every year but this tasted like I was drinking pumpkin potpourri extract. I couldn't even get halfway through the bottle and poured the rest down the drain, which I have a very hard time doing. I was majorly disappointed.

2.96/5  rDev -27.1%

I'll start with saying that I read so much on this beer that perhaps my expectations were set too high. Also, I absolutely love, love, love pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins and basically anything pumpkin.

This beer is a beautiful golden amber (what would you expect from a pumpkin!), has a small head and has the strangest smell. I can't even tell you what spice it is that I am smelling... and remember, I love pumpkin... I even put pumpkin pie spice in water and let is simmer because it smells so good.

Taste, again, not sure what it is. But it is definitely NOT pumpkin pie or even pumpkin pie spices. I can't put it down... I keep smelling it and tasting it trying to determine what it is that I am tasting. It may drive me crazy. I special ordered this cuz you can't find it in California and, I paid a lot for it. Would I order it again, I think not. Is it bad, I think not. Is it good, I'm not sure it is worth it for the $$$ but I will keep trying to identify what it is that I am smelling and tasting. Heck, I have 3 more bottles of it!

If there is a really great pumpkin beer out there, I sure would love to know what it is!

3.25/5  rDev -20%