Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 08-26-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
dopperpod

This is the first review I have written on here after being a member for a bit over a year. I have indulged quite a few beers that were listed here, as well as the 2008 and 2009 batches of Pumking. I thought they were excellent, and savored every drop.

I don't need colorful adjectives or descriptive words to say that the 2010 vintage is absolute crap compared to what Southern Tier previously put out. Whatever they changed was for the worst. The only redeeming fact is that the ABV has increased, but that doesn't mean anything if you can't enjoy your beer.

In my excitement for this year's Pumking, and in an effort to reduce the chances of my local distributor running out of Pumking early like they did last year, I purchased two cases. I paid $190 and all I got was this lousy remembrance of a good beer.

09-28-2010 03:42:10 | More by dopperpod
Pahn

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

22oz bottle into Duvel tulip. 2010 vintage.

Appearance: Free pour yields a one inch head that dissipates quickly leaving no lacing. Pours a completely translucent, disconcertingly bright orange. Maybe this would be desirable if you're really into the pumpkin conceit, but for me it's a little off-putting. Leaves occasional swatches of short-lived lacing.

Smell: Pumpkin pie, spot on. Good pumpkin pie too; it's not too sweet, it's not 1-note. Great balance of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice. The pumpkin pie aroma enhances and is enhanced by a big, bready malt backbone in the smell. If this isn't exactly what a "pumpkin beer" should smell like, I don't know what the hell is.

Taste: Mildly spicy, thick pumpkin pie flavor with bready malt. The alcohol heat in the aftertaste is a bit much... it's joined by a mild bitterness, and together they constitute an unpleasant note. This is a small complaint however, as the overall taste is very good. There's no cloying sweetness (for me, the #1 worry for a pumpkin beer, or any fruit-oriented beer). The pumpkin pie flavor is almost smoky. It's very thick at first, and then in the finish it becomes a smooth backdrop (to the unfortunate bitterness and heat).

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Low carbonation (fine with me). Smooth, soft feel.

Drinkability: This isn't half bad. It's a bit gimmicky for my tastes, but if I'm honest, it would be a great beer to drink on an Autumn night, preferably sitting on a porch with fallen leaves around. The beer is perfectly seasonal, and since I'm a lifelong New Englander whose favorite season is Fall, I can definitely appreciate this aspect of the beer.

If you love pumpkin pie and simple, well-made beer, this is perhaps the beer for you. The apparent high alcohol hurts the experience (though I'm sure other less immediately apparent aspects of the ABV help the experience; I am no expert brewer), but not enough to keep me from enjoying the beer. Like Southern Tier's Crème Brûlée, this beer successfully straddles novelty and substance.

09-28-2010 03:26:12 | More by Pahn
Ryan011235

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap in a tulip at Barley's Smokehouse on 9/13/10

Medium amber color with golden highlights around the edges. Nice clarity. Poured a 1/4th inch of smooth foam that skimmed out almost immediately. No retention or lace.

This smells pretty awesome. Fresh aromas of buttery, pumpkin pie filler & spices - cinnamon & nutmeg. Candied overtones. The aroma is consistently good.

Tastes pretty much like it smells. Pumpkin pie undertones, nutmeg, brown sugar, cinnamon & maybe a touch of vanilla. There's a nice hoppy kick that rounds things out. Pumpkin beers are on my radar again.

Medium bodied with appropriately low carbonation for the flavor. Very smooth. A mirror image of the flavor profile lingers on the finish.

As far as Pumpkin beers go, drinkability is quite good. Overall Pumking is an really well-crafted example of the style. Recommended.

09-28-2010 02:27:34 | More by Ryan011235
plfahey

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bomber poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Orange amber in color, exceptionally clear. Thin beige head with medium-fine bead, and moderate to poor head retention with no lacing.

Aroma-Biscuity and caramel malt with light nutty pumpkin aroma, almost like roasted pumpkin seeds. A whiff of pumpkin pie spice and a hint of tangerine are also present.

Flavor-Liquid pumpkin pie. Up front the flavor is nutty and pumpkin-y, with pumpkin pie spice leading the charge. The middle is a bit caramel-y as the pumpkin pie fades but the flavor dissipates quickly to a long, lingering interplay of alcohol and spicy/floral hop flavor.

Mouthfeel-Silky smooth and thick-this one is full bodied and extremely chewy. Carbonation is moderate to low. Alcohol heat is very apparent, but well integrated and quite pleasant.

Overall-BIG pumpkin beer, tasty and tastes like real pumpkin. At the same time, I could have used a bit more in the aroma, I'm not entirely sure what (more spice?), but it didn't quite do it for me. Otherwise, I found this to be an extremely pleasant sipper, and absolutely perfect for a cold fall day.

09-28-2010 02:23:43 | More by plfahey
rapidsequence

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle for 6.99 from Beer Run in C-ville.

Appearance: Clear orange-copper with a short lived white head and no lacing. Looks fine, but not too exciting.

Smell: This is the first pumpkin beer that I'e really been able to smell the pumpkin as opposed to just the spices. In addition, there are delicious sweet cakey-bread smells-- sort of like a pumpkin flavored kids cereal.

Taste: Lots of pumpkin flavor and pumpkin pie spice. Caramel and sweet malt. A little hops flavor in the finish and slight alcohol bitterness and bite- slight.

Mouthfeel: Doesn't feel like a 9% beer. I'd like a thicker, creamier feel. Not thin, just not real big.

Drinkability: This is an excellent beer. Big spicy pumpkin flavor with balanced sweetness and concealed alcohol. My favorite pumpkin beer to date.

09-28-2010 01:52:53 | More by rapidsequence
JoePat

Kentucky

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Beer pours a light amber almost orange color with a thick white head that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. First pumpkin beer this year with a good head.

The smell on this beer is intense. It smells like a very aromatic crumbled pie crust with light cinnamon with a whipped cream aroma.

The flavor is eactly like the creamy pumpkin pie my mom makes. I taste the whipped cream, the crust, even a slight pumpkin long with some light spices. Cinnamon and nutmeg.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy and sometimes I wonder if I am drinking a pureed pumpkin cream pie.

Not the most drinkable beer in the world but it tastes great for the one or two glasses I can drink.

09-28-2010 00:58:55 | More by JoePat
VelvetExtract

4.1/5  rDev +1%

A-Pours light orange/amber with a quickly settling head.

S-Good lord. Easily the most potent smelling pumpkin beer I have ever sniffed. Pumpkin pie! Nutmeg and cinnamon spices. Just wreaks of Autumn.

T-This beer simply puts all other pumpkin beers to shame. Pure pumpkin accompanied with huge cinnamon and other fall spices. There is a ever so gentle hop kick in the end. The alcohol is evident but well integrated. Worthy of the name "Pumking". I love the lack of artificial taste that comes with other pumpkin ales. This one actually tastes like pumpkins; not simply "pumpkin flavored".

M-Heavy to medium body with some carbonation. Slick in the mouth.

D-I consider this a beast because of the alcohol content and strong flavor but I'd gladly drink this guy again.

Unique and definately worth a try. Pumpkin Ale on steroids.

09-28-2010 00:11:58 | More by VelvetExtract
ryanonline

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

A very clear fiery orange with a thick lasting white head and good lacing.

Smells like a pumpkin spice candle.

Tastes ever so lightly spiced and very lightly malted. Heartily hopped. Really does taste like a pumpkin pie.

Creamy mouthfeel and nice dry finish with an even, bitter bite.

A bit heavy but still good.

I am growing fonder and fonder of southern tier.

09-27-2010 23:54:54 | More by ryanonline
beergod1

Pours a deep copper/Orange, with a thick lasting head, It took several "sniffs" before I could come up with the Aroma, It has the Spice, but also the smell of pumpkin, like when I carve them at Halloween. And the smell I couldn't figure out was Graham Crackers. I told my friends that and they thought I was nut's. But I looked at some other reviews, and they said the same thing. Nice Balance of Pumpkin and Spice, and unlike other Pumpkin beers, this really stays good all the way through to the end, I think I like a more Spiced beer, but this was a top 5 Pumpkin Beer.

09-27-2010 22:50:58 | More by beergod1
stalker5

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

It poured very nicely to a bright orange unlike any beer I've had before. It poured with a thick, creamy head that slowly went away. Smell; this was the first pumpkin beer I've had, so I was completely shocked by how pumpkin pie-like it smelled. It was sweet with the accents of various spices. A real treat. Tastes excellent. Simply excellent. Pumpkin pie; pumpkins, definitely some nutmeg and spices more in the taste than the smell. A great background to the beer also. Mouthfeel is a bit dry, but light and smooth. Overall an excellent brew to drink, especially this time of year. It really gives you the feel of the Fall. I look forward to getting more for the holidays.

09-27-2010 18:39:36 | More by stalker5
nickfl

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours with a small head of white foam on top of a brilliantly clear, orange-copper colored body. The foam settles rapidly and leaves little lace.

S - An earthy, slightly fruity aroma with distinct notes of real pumpkin pie, even notes of freshly baked pie crust.

T - Sweet malt up front with a strong, spicy/earthy pumpkin note. Some husky toasted malt in the middle with musty, herbal hop flavor. Finishes with moderate hop bitterness and lingering spice character with notes of cinnamon, allspice, and clove.

M - Medium-thick body, moderate carbonation, and a sweet finish.

D - This beer has the most remarkably realistic pumpkin pie aroma I have ever encountered. Most pumpkin ales taste like bad spice soup while some manage to become an interesting combination of malt and spice, but none ever really smell like pie, at best they smell like something that can remind one of pumpkin pie when the idea is suggested beforehand. This beer on the other hand is really something extraordinary, it truly smells like home made pumpkin pie, right down to the bready note of pie crust. This aroma is remarkable and quite pleasant, but I am still not sure it makes for a good beer. The flavor is a bit of a mess with heavy toast and musty hops that just don't make me feel like I want to finish the bomber sitting in front of me. In the end, I have to regard this as an interesting technical exercise rather than a normal beer. The aroma is genuinely impressive and my hat is off to the brewer for their achievement, but the beer just isn't all that pleasant to drink. This beer is a must try, but at the same time not one that I would drink again.

09-27-2010 05:46:47 | More by nickfl
smurder187

4.55/5  rDev +12.1%

Pumpkin beers aren't for everyone, but "Pumpking" even perked the interest of my hophead friend. Southern Tier is the Jelly Belly of brewing with their amazing flavors. This pours with a perfect burnt orange tone as if it were straight out of the patch. It has a sugar/spice pumpkin scent that stirs up Trick or treat nostalgia and has a taste to match that emotion. It finishes off with a spicy malt feeling on the tongue. Southern Tier has created a real treat here that I highly recommended this season.

09-26-2010 22:50:45 | More by smurder187
gskitt

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

I have wanted to try Pumking for a while and bought it in a growler. Had a sample at the store.
The color was a rusty orange with an off-white head that lasted only briefly. The scent is what may entice people to try this beer. Super pumpkin pie spice on the nose and it matches the taste. All too often the scent of a beer does not correlate with the taste of the beer. This one does.
As mentioned, loads of pumpkin pie spice, warm and roasty nutty flavors with a hint of vanilla?
You definitely feel the ABV at play here. It is a drinkable beer for the ABV (9.0%), but can that can sneak up on you.
The mouthfeel is surprisingly pleasant.
All together and Southern Tier has put together a heavy weight pumpkin ale that I'd buy again without hesitation.

Serving type: growler

09-26-2010 21:59:31 | More by gskitt
zoso1967

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Pumking pours an amazingly bright orange amber that I have never seen the likes of in another beer. It has a creamy, ever so slightly off white head that slowly melts into the beer and leaves amazing lace.

The aroma of this beer has more actual pumpkin flavor than any other beer I have tried so far. The smell of the orange gourde is accented by very subtle spice, mostly nutmeg and perhaps a little cinnamon. The aroma has a nice sweetness to it that makes it smell a lot like the pumpkin bread my mother-in-law makes.

The flavor is also loaded with pumpkin, though it comes off as not as sweet as the aroma suggested. There is a decent amount of dryness in this beer, and the spices come out a bit more in the flavor. The malt background seems pretty non-descript, allowing the pumpkin and nutmeg to shine through. I am also picking up on a bit of vanilla. Quite impressive.

The mouthfeel is pretty darn light for a beer with 9% ABV, but this is fine with me. It is medium bodied with a slightly dry finish and lingering spice notes.

This is one of the most drinkable pumpkin beers I have had and is quite good. Very different from a lot of other ones in that the spice is not the main flavor component. I think I may have to look into getting another bomber of this.

09-26-2010 19:56:13 | More by zoso1967
chefkevlar

South Carolina

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

A; Pours a clear orange/tan color with a low, just-barely-off white head.

S: Not a lot of spice on the nose...it actually kinda smells like pie dough. More of a buttery biscuit smell than what I expected.

T: The taste carries over that biscuit-like flavor from the nose and also adds some spicy notes and a little heat from the alcohol.

M: Medium bodied with a light carbonation

D: This is one of the more interesting takes on a pumpkin beer I've had. They didn't go for the pumpkin pie flavor that many breweries do by adding spices. According to the bottle it's only malts, pumpkin and hops. The pumpkin flavor on it's own is harder to pick out than that of the spices associated with the pie. Overall though I found this beer enjoyable once I got past my expectation of "pie" flavor.

09-26-2010 05:13:27 | More by chefkevlar
bierguru

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

A - deep golden orange little head formation that dissapates fast

S - HUGH pumpkin smell some nutmeg, allspice

T - HUGH pumpkin taste right up front then you get some nut flavoring from the nutmeg some spice little sweetness then a litle bit from the alcohol or maybe just soaked in oak barrels

M - smooth little carbonation and some burn very slight

D - like drinking a pumpkin pie could have this all night in fact im writing this review from notes i scribbled down and i am craving this beer

09-26-2010 01:43:16 | More by bierguru
smokeypeat

Maryland

4.18/5  rDev +3%

Split the 22oz bottle with my wife.

Pours a vivid orange color with nice 1/2 inch white head that dissipated quickly. Smell is filled with pumpkin up front. In fact of all the pumpkin beers I've tried this has the most up front pumpkin smell. Plenty of spice present as well with some vanilla present as well. Taste is in keeping with aroma. More pumpkin forward than I was expecting in taste as well. Has a nice spice mix to balance the pumpkin. I like the creaminess as well, really feels almost like a hint of whipped cream is there. Alcohol is well masked considering the ABV and the beer goes down easy. Can't say that I would want the entire 22oz beer myself, but it's perfect for sharing the bomber. Definitely going to pick up some to cellar for Thanksgiving.

09-25-2010 19:14:03 | More by smokeypeat
Wisconsinality

Wisconsin

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from 22oz bomber into imperial pint.

A- Pours a transparent pumpkin orange with a half finger's worth of khaki head. The head recedes slowly and leaves some decent lacing on the way down.

S- Smells like fresh pumpkin pie. A little bit of spice and a good amount of malt. Just a slight hint of graham cracker on the tail end.

T- Like the nose, big, fresh pumpkin with a good amount of spice to it. Maybe some nutmeg and a little cinnamon. The malt isn't as apparent as it was with the nose but is still present and adds a nice backbone.

M- Medium bodied but feels a touch thin. Decent carbonation but overall a pretty smooth feeling beer.

D- I would never be able to tell you that this is 9%. Great flavors and a nice balance make this a pretty good beer. I can't wait for Thanksgiving to break one of these out.

09-25-2010 17:17:47 | More by Wisconsinality
Vaison

Delaware

3.3/5  rDev -18.7%

Poured from a bomber into a Nonic pint glass. Sorry but a goblet doesn't seem right for this brew.

I was very excited to find this at one of my local stores, so I bought four of them. With a good amount of anticipation, I poured this and found the appearance to be average. It is a very light amber orange color with a 1 inch white foamy head. The smell was unique and not what I expected. I thought I would get more of that spicy cinnamon pumpkin / seasonal smell. Instead, it smelled more like fresh pumpkin. First taste was really nice. It tasted exactly like it smells and I really enjoyed that fresh pumpkin flavor. But, after about half a pint, I grew tired of the taste and decided the pumpkin was overwhelming. I let it sit for a while, cleansed my palate and dove back in. Again, after a few sips I was tired of it. How am I going to finish this bomber? At least it was smooth and the carbonation was just right. I just poured the rest of the bomber into my glass and have half a pint left. I'm not certain I will finish but I am glad to have tried Pumpking.

09-25-2010 02:41:33 | More by Vaison
TheHoppiest

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a bomber into an oversized wine glass. Pours a light gold with a 1/2" head that quickly disapates.

Has a very forward pumpkin pie smell; clove, pie dough, pumpkin, allspice, and a slight amount of alcohol.

Wow! starts slightly bitter, but opens up with a full, warm, sweet, creamy pumkin taste. Is it Thanksgiving, because it sure tastes like it is! Biscuity, doughy malt hits in the middle, ending with decent pumpkin and spice. Ends with a bit of alcohol warmth.

Mouthfeel is medium; almost creamy.

Drinkable? Hell yeah, in the same way that warm pumpkin pie is eatable. One good sized beer, though and you're done. Too sweet and desert like for more than one at a time.

09-25-2010 02:17:46 | More by TheHoppiest
takeabrewski

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Split a bomber with my wife, served in a goblet.

A: Caramel color, fizzy 1-finger head that dissipated fairly quickly.

S: Faint pumpkin spice, aromatic hops, and vanilla.

T: Lots going on here. I get sweet vanilla and cookie up front, then pumpkin, clove, cinnamon; then deep hop bitterness and aroma. I really enjoyed the complexity. Very much like taking a bite of a great pumpkin pie and washing it down with a very hoppy IPA.

M: Smooth on the tongue, appropriate effervescence.

D: Very enjoyable, but no way I could drink more than one of these in an evening.

I saw some recent poor reviews of this beer, but I've had many pumpkin ales this year that were reportedly "great", but which I felt were passe. If you're looking to drink pumpkin beer all day long, look elsewhere, but if you want a single, unique pumpkin beer, give it a shot.

09-25-2010 00:43:39 | More by takeabrewski
Tomdee74

Connecticut

2.55/5  rDev -37.2%

i have tried a few of these this year and some i think have been better than others but overall i think it stinx this year... last year i went crazy over pumking... this year i thought maybe a bad bottle but i've had more and i've come to the conclusion that this beer basically stinks this year... seems to be way overrated and too pricey.. did my palate really change that much or is it different this year... and why am i reading such glorious reviews of this???

Forget the ASTMD really... last year was a huge smell of pumpkin pie.. great buttery sweet taste.. a real treat.. this year i've drainpoured it a couple of times after a couple of sips... i was so heartbroken this year i didn't want to stop trying it after the first couple of disasters... but now it's been too many and i guess i have to let go... all the magic is gone, the great pumking is just a shadow of a memory!! : (

09-24-2010 22:54:23 | More by Tomdee74
kbutler1

3.1/5  rDev -23.6%

Bottle. Whoa, yippee! a pumpkin beer. Pours a clear reddish hued golden color with a very slight head. Strong smell of pumpkin, nutmeg, and graham crackers. Its a weird beer for sure for me. It tastes like pumpkin pie that is not very sweet and a few days past its prime. I really don't understand the love for this beer. Sweet malty upfront flavor followed by an odd pumpkin spice kick at the end that lingers far too long. Medium mouthfeel.

09-24-2010 14:26:06 | More by kbutler1
jdubjacket

Georgia

1.65/5  rDev -59.4%

I haven't reviewed a beer in months, but felt compelled to post a review about this beer.

I love a good pumpkin ale, since I had my first one in 2002. When ST made it to Georgia, I was stoked about finally being able to get Pumking. Having said that, I have not been as disappointed by a beer than this.

I could tell as soon as I got a whiff of this that it was going to be a disappointment. Smells way too sweet to be pumpkin ale. While some cinnamon is to be expected, the sweetness seemed almost artificial - like candy or heavy syrup. Finished ok...subtle pumpkin flavor, with pie crust with too much brown sugar. Reminded of the overly sweet Creme Brulee.

Couldn't finish about 6 ounces... wound up pouring this down the drain.

I don't know why this beer is rated so high. I think this is a terrible example of pumpkin ale. Shipyard Pumpkin Ale may actually be better than this...

09-24-2010 03:14:13 | More by jdubjacket
Augustiner719

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

Revisited this one again, 2010 vintage.

Poured a very clear bright orange color. Has some brown highlights, maybe some red, but crystal clear body.

Smells very very identical to real pumpkin pie. Has bready spicy cinnamon notes just like the crust. Goes into toasted marshmallows with yams and some brown sugar. There is some big roasted pumpkin notes too. Really sick how much this smells like thanksgiving dinner.

Tastes very similar to the aroma. Begins very sweet, then bursts into a dryness reminiscent of the pie crust. Basically even the burps taste like you just ate pumpkin pie with the most fantastic whipped cream. Thus is very young and since the booze went up this year it does need more time in the bottle so it's a little hot.

Mouthfeel is on point with all other pumpkin beers. Really has a nice dry aftertaste but the abv leaves some astringent notes on the finish.

Drinkability is still limited to one bomber. I would like to see a 4 pack of 7 oz beers that southern tier would release. This is meant to be split.

09-24-2010 02:10:32 | More by Augustiner719