Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 08-26-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
thetomG

3.35/5  rDev -17.5%

UPDATE: I've had this one again a couple times recently and just have had a really bad experience with it so I'm adding to my previous review and adjusting the sores accordingly...
---

FRESH BOTTLE (drank & reviewed on 09.28.10):
Pours a mostly clear light amber/orange. Decent amount of foamy white head but nothing spectacular. Really surprised at the clarity here.

Smell is nice - spicy with a bit of pumpkin coming through.

Flavor is almost purely spices - I get very little actual pumpkin here. Mostly all spice, nutmeg and cinnamon. The alcohol provides a gentle warmth as well.

Mouthfeel is good. Well carbonated and quite lively.

There is a strange aftertaste that I really did not enjoy - combine that with the high abv and the drinkability of this one takes a bit of a hit.

Overall I'm quite disappointed with this. Had two bottles of it on two separate occasions and had the same underwhelming experience both times. I had high hopes after several friends told me it was the best pumpkin beer out there, but all in all I'm very let down.

Will not most likely be drinking this again.
A: 4
S: 3.5
T: 3
M: 4
D: 3.5
---

8 MONTH OLD BOTTLE (drank & reviewed on 06.12.10):
Pours a nice, if somewhat generic, golden color with a small amount of head. A bit of lacing is left behind as you drink.

Aroma is where this beer TRULY shines. A VERY distinct aroma of pumpkin pie overpowers your senses as you sniff. The flavor is similar but the pumpkin flavor is a bit reserved when compared to the aroma (this may be due to the fact that this bottle is probably 8 months old at this point...)

All in all a very tasty beer and something I would definitely drink again.

scores for 8 month old bottle:
D: 4.5

06-12-2010 21:16:33 | More by thetomG
DaveHS

4.93/5  rDev +21.4%

big thanks to beerman777 for this one. I love this beer. And with a year on it, the complex flavor profile has really come into its own. I may want a case of this next time.

A: Poured a hazy light brown with orange highlights. Thin off-white head that receded quickly.

S: It smells amazing. Pulped pumpkin, sweet potato, graham crackers, nutmeg, fresh bread dough. I love that they didn't kill this with too much spice like most pumpkin beers.

T: A lot like what comes through in the nose. Pumpkin pie with a graham cracker crust, nutmeg, toast, allspice, and a little touch of caramel. Seriously impressive.

M: Medium bodied with delicate carbonation.

D: I dig this. I would drink a ton of this if it were available in the Bay Area.

05-24-2010 16:07:51 | More by DaveHS
jobcrackerbah

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

09 bottle

A: Light bubbly head that recedes on to the edges of the glass. Clear yellowish orange, moreso yellow.

S: The scent is the closest I've come to a pumkin smell in the few pumkin beers I've experienced. The beer isn't overly spiced and does carry the pumkin pulp scent that is exhumed from carving pumkins. As the beer warms up the spices becomes heavier and the pulp recedes.

T: Hops are prevalent and the pumpkin flavor tastes more mimicked than true pumpkin. The beer is tasty but is still a let down from the initial smell. The beer as it warms up becomes spice/hop heavy. 3.75 rounded up.

M: The feel is too prickly and not smooth enough. Somewhat thin although quite creamy.

Enjoyable but the mouthfeel could use some work.

05-24-2010 03:34:49 | More by jobcrackerbah
Thorpe429

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

A: pours a somewhat murky orange-brown with a decent light tan head.

S: definitely a pumpkin beer! Rather than going overboard with spices on top of.a boring base like most "pumpkin" beers out there, this truly smells like a freshly-baked pumpkin pie, weaving together the spices. At the same time, far too much sweetness.

T: liquid pumpkin pie. Very sweet with a familiar pumpkin puree taste alongside the usual spice suspects and a hint of vanilla. Good spice pattern, but the sweetness is over the top and borderline cloying.

M: medium body with a very creamy texture. The sweetness gets to be far too cloying.

D: similar fate as the mouthfeel. For me, just like with actual pumpkin pie, only with an extra pound of sugar mixed in.

05-14-2010 11:11:45 | More by Thorpe429
DwnTwnBwn

3.03/5  rDev -25.4%

A- A nice Amber color, hazy. Minimal head, little lacing. A small ring of

S- Weird. Its overly sweet in the nose. All most chemical like. The pumpkin and spices do not meld well.

T - Sweet Brown sugar malt taste. The pumpkin comes through nicely. Spices are a good complement. Not the most appearling taste overall.

M- Smooth medium light body. Good amount of carbonation

O- Weird beer, wonder if it was better fresh?

05-13-2010 08:08:09 | More by DwnTwnBwn
snogglethorpe

Japan

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

Very interesting beer. I completely disagree with most of the reviews I've seen: It doesn't taste a thing like pumpkin-pie.

What it _does_ taste like is a mild-brown-sugary candy.

If that sounds awful to you, well, it sounds awful to me too, but somehow, this beer managed to be delicious nonetheless -- everytime I'd think "oh the candy taste is too much", a burst of delicious bitterness would rush in and change my mind. It was downright weird, but nonetheless, I was left with a rather positive opinion. Definitely an interesting and drinkable beer, despite the apparent downsides. Kinda strong though (9% ABV).

It also has a hefty "physicality" to it, that makes it seem almost as if it is filled with pumpkin bits.

05-08-2010 02:23:50 | More by snogglethorpe
twiggamortis420

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

22 oz bomber from the 2009 vintage. ABV listed here is a mere 7.9, my bottle claims a hefty 9.0. Forewarning, I suppose for those uninitiated. I ended up with a case of these bitches (or should I say witches?) and this is one of the last few. Pours a clear, dark gold color with a fluffy white foam that is decently large and retains very well. Sticky lace is left all over the glass. It is one of the better looking pumpkin ales, for sure.

Nose is honeyed graham crackers galore. Nutmeg and cinnamon seem to be the most prevalent spices here. There are other holiday beers that smell more like a pumpkin pie, but this one still has that same feel to it, though sweeter and more alcoholic...and bigger - much bigger. Actually more like the crust of a pumpkin pie, quite bready. You can smell this beast a couple feet away. Pretty amazing, really.

Taste has mellowed out and melded together a bit over the past 7 months, which is a good thing when having so many of them in the cellar. Having said that, I do not see it improving much more and a fresh Pumking around Halloween will be better than a year old version. The spices are there aplenty, with nutmeg and allspice leading the way but I am sure there is a gaggle of others tagging along for the ride...perhaps some mace and cinnamon. Caramely malts have a hint of toast, but this still remains one of the sweetest beers I have ever had. A bomber is almost too much to handle by myself. Not that there isnt some hops in here, there is on the finish and combine with the spices to dry things out a bit. But, wow...talk about a dessert beer. Very good brew, and one of the most unique and finest examples of the style. Every beer lover should get the opportunity to try this concoction at least once!

04-24-2010 04:05:55 | More by twiggamortis420
DmanGTR

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Review from notes on 9/30/09.

A - poured crystal clear amber orange with a short lived white head, as expected from a 9% beer (yes, it is 9%, not 7.9% like the site says) 4.5

S - lots of breadiness and biscuits mixed with pumpkin pie and sugar cookies. This is divine. No alcohol aroma whatsoever. 4.5

T - caramel and toffee maltiness mixed with sweet sugar cookies and a hint of pumpkin. Lots of pumpkin pie spice. Strange bitterness in the finish that basically kills this for me. 3.5

M - full bodied and well carbonated. Smooth and dancing carbonation on the palate. 4.0

D - pretty good, that bitterness is very annoying. Touch of alcohol apparent here. 3.5

Overall - This is a different beast from the bottle than on tap. Much better on tap IMO.

04-07-2010 20:50:05 | More by DmanGTR
FreshmanPour77

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

Reviewed 03-12-10
Reviewed cold from a bottle to a glass

A - Golden Brown, 1 finger of foam, decent lacing ring around the rim, little carbonation present

S - Pumpkin spice, nutmeg, cinnamon hints of malts and caramel, hints of hops and not overly strong

T - Smooth like pumpkin pie but with alcohol. Caramel malts and cinnamon pumpkin spices, faint hops at the end but nothing that stuck out

M/D - Very good brew from Southern Tier, one of my favorite pumpkin brews, sold spices mixed with caramel and malts, a for sure pick up. I will get this again!!!

04-04-2010 03:42:17 | More by FreshmanPour77
undeadozzy

4.78/5  rDev +17.7%

Got on tap at local bar. Served in a Southern Tier goblet.

Appearance: Poured a rich dark amber color with a light peach colored head that stuck around but faded quickly. Looks almost like a lager, but much richer in tone.

Smell: When the goblet was set in front, it smelled pretty much exactly like a freshly baked pumpkin pie. I have yet to find any beer anywhere that has smelled as appetizing as this one to the point that smelling it actually made me hungry.

Taste: A sharp bite from the alcohol is dulled down from the huge flavor of the pumpkin. I also tasted some nutmeg, ginger, and a small amount of fruitiness, on top of the delicious pumpkin sucker punch.

Mouthfeel: Thick and chewy, if that could really apply to a liquid. A very hearty and full brew definitely, and I can't really think of another way to describe how it felt in my mouth.

Drinkability: This beer screams fall, and I can't imagine drinking anything else but this delicious beer fresh off tap during the fall season. Pairs great with most of the food of the season as well. Probably the best pumpkin ale I've ever had the pleasure of drinking.

03-05-2010 15:52:14 | More by undeadozzy
CHILLINDYLAN

Washington

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

Deep clear copper. Small offwhite head that ran off in a hurry. No laces.

Roasty, spicy, earthy fruit, pumpkin, gingerbread, toasted marshmellow. Some citrus and floral hop notes.

Vanilla, toasted marshmellow, earthy spiced pumpkin and gingerbread cookie. Nice mellow bitterness. A small trace of booze.

Sticky, dry, smooth, good carbonation, full feeling in the mouth.

Best pumpkin ale out there (that I've had). Nice and big, with hops, with actual pumpkin, with 8% alc. Great fall/winter brew. One i will look for every year.

02-10-2010 00:46:19 | More by CHILLINDYLAN
hossua34

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Thin, brownish gold. Pretty small head. A few scattered dots of lacing, but nothing much.

S - Strong wafts of pie crust and pumpkin. Very spicy. By far the most noticeable trait is the delicious, bready-salty pie crust aroma.

T - Ahhh... Like pumpkin pie distilled into a beer. I taste pumpkin, pie spice, vanilla and bread dough. Delicious! Would be a 5 here if I like pumpkin pie to being with... but I like it anway.

M - Could use more carbonation. A little on the syrupy side, consistency wise.

D - I'm not a pumpkin pie fan, but this is really, really good and by far the best pumpkin beer I've ever had. Amazingly smooth for its ABV, too - I had NO idea this was 9%... until I was about halfway into the large bottle.

01-28-2010 00:46:08 | More by hossua34
craytonic

District of Columbia

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

Appearance: Enormous soapy head, near-pumpkin orange in color. Definitely looks like haloween with whipped cream on top. With that much head some lacing is inevitable.

Smell: Incredibly sweet, lite on the pumpkin and spice, heavy on the whipped cream and caramel malts.. Way to heavy on the whipped cream. Lots of liquid vanilla as well. Bits of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice..

Taste: Similar, once again sweet, heavy on the whipped cream and light on the pumpkin and spice. It has a very whipped/creamy element that I do not enjoy, but I do not like whipped cream on my pumpkin pie as I know some do.

Mouthfeel: Thinner than I expected for such a sweet pumpkin beer. I can see why someone would like it (if they like pumpkin pie with gobs of whipped cream in liquid form), but I didn't finish the bottle. Not a drainpour, just personal preference.

Drinkability:

01-23-2010 04:27:51 | More by craytonic
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have wanted to try this one for a very long time. I am not usually a big fan of pumpkin beers but I really hope this one wins me over. Body is a glowing orange amber that hosts a two finger frothy light beige head that has decent retention but leaves no lace. Nose is absolutely delicious by itself with distinctive tones of pumpkin bread and creamy eggnog. With first sip you get a very soft pumpkin profile, not harsh at all. Sweet bready notes are all over the tongue. A dusting of cinnamon and graham crackers are easy to pick up on the sides and back of the tongue. This beer is velvety for the style and a lot like cake as it provokes thoughts of desert. Mouthfeel is very much like sweet dough with a hint of spice. This beer is so lovely drinkable, be it somewhat thick and sweet. I wish I had a bunch of this in the cellar for the holiday for many years to come.

01-21-2010 19:41:55 | More by SPLITGRIN
billab914

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Decided to drink one of my few remaining Pumking's tonight. When it comes to this beer it seems like people either love it or hate it. I am firmly in the love it category with this one and I bought more of this beer this year then probably any other single beer.

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Dogfish snifter glass. Pours a bright orange color with very little head. What was there quickly disappears and leaves very little lacing on the glass. This is my one complaint with this beer. If this had a nice big foamy head it would really do this beer wonders and make it more delicious. It's kind of like having pumpkin pie without whipped cream, it's good but it's even better with it.

Aroma is big on sweetness and spice. It has pumpkin, cloves and nutmeg. It's light on the cinnamon which I find overwhelming in a lot of pumpkin beers. The sweetness to it is really great smelling in a pumpkin beer, I might not like it in all beers but in this one it works great.

Taste is a lot like the nose suggests, very sweet with pumpkin, nutmeg and cloves. As a lot of people describe, it's like pumpkin pie in a glass. Like the nose I really like the sweetness in the taste.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with below average carbonation, which works very well for me in this beer. Drinkability is OK, it's very delicious and I enjoy it every time I have a glass but the sweetness makes having more then one difficult. I usually like to split the bomber at least 2 ways.

Overall I love the taste and smell of this beer, if they can add better head retention to it this could easily move way up my list. A little whipped cream with the pumpkin pie would be awesome.

01-20-2010 00:54:43 | More by billab914
Luk13

Quebec (Canada)

3.3/5  rDev -18.7%

Bottle. Many thanks to Hogtownharry for this one. Very nice appearance, bright orange pour, with a bit of white head. Lots of pumpkin in the aroma, a hint of spice (gingerbread), something roasted about it too, pumpkin pie. Taste is very desert, pumpkin pie, not very sweet with definite alcohol presence. Mouthfeel is quite full a little too aggressive.

01-17-2010 20:25:22 | More by Luk13
brewerburgundy

3.03/5  rDev -25.4%

From notes made on 11.27.09. Poured from a 22oz bottle into champaigne flutes.

Pours out a rich pumpkin orange and once in the glass looks less rich. Plenty of carb, no head. very small ring of white bubbles.

Yeast, kettle corn, squash, and some cardamom. Cinnamon. Candy corn.

Burnt caramel, musty yeast, and squash. Jelly Belly Buttered Popcorn bean. I'm not sure if I waited too long to crack this bottle or my expectations were too high. Sweet, spicy, nutmeg, pumpkin pie is what I expected. Woody, toasted squash and fire melted candy corn is what I got.

Thinner than expected. Light syrup with plenty of bubbles.

I'm glad I split this with my dad the day after Thanksgiving. Next year I'll try it again. Not very drinkable to me.

01-15-2010 16:05:27 | More by brewerburgundy
Gehrig

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Recommended by a good friend, Imperial Pumpking brought back a bit of Fall in the dead of Winter. Cloudy orange with two fingers of off-white froth, good duration, ample lacing--excellent appearance. The smell is amazing--really reminiscent of pumpkin pie--lots of cinnamon, ginger, and clove. Wow, just wow.

The taste is more restrained than I thought it would be--smooth, sweet, and frothy with moderate spice. Vanilla bean is most prominent, mixing well with ginger and cinnamon. The smell is Imperial, the taste is a little less so, but still delicious--literally like liquid pumpkin pie.

A very smooth mouthfeel, creamy like a cream sickle but frothy like a spiced pumpkin cider. I often avoid pumpkin beer, but Pumpking will get a repeat visit from this avid fan of Southern Tier who is being won over to such alternative Fall beverages. Terrific stuff.

01-14-2010 02:02:48 | More by Gehrig
bonsreeb85

Colorado

Thanks to projectflam86 for sending me this one in a trade. *lifts glass in thanks to Kyle*

A clear orangish copper body produces a think and quickly dissapating 'crown'

Nutmeg, allspice, pie crust, burnt sugar, ginger bread, cookie dough and perhaps some cinnammon...and oh yeah pumpkin, all make their appearance...at least on the nose.

The taste is exactly what the nose hints at, which is liquid pumpkin pie with emphasis on the pie. The burnt sugar and pie crust flavors along with the spices really domintate and keep it from getting carried away in the sweet dept.

The feel is ok, but a tad thin for such a bruiser of a beer. I could use a bit more umph.

Definately worth a try but overall this is not much more than a novelty beer, a good one though. that said, 22 ounces was plenty...time to move on now.

01-14-2010 01:56:58 | More by bonsreeb85
BDLbrewster

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%

2009 Pours a bright orange amber color with a medium head and clumpy lacing as the head fades.

The nose is full of nutmeg and canned pumpkin pie filling. There is a moderate amount of alcohol and a heavy cream smell there as well.

The taste is full of fresh pumpkin pie with whipped cream, and booze. Sweet pumpkin, spicy nutmeg and allspice. Cloying pumpkin, the malts never gets a chance here. It's almost like grandma spilled her vodka and tonic on some pumpkin pie... But in an almost good way.

Heavy carbonation, sugary and sticky. Heavy side of medium bodied and wet in the mouth.

Overall, this will be a hard one to finish, I have had several and usually mix with Boulevard Wheat to thin out the cloying flavors. OK, but not as good as last year.

01-13-2010 05:12:42 | More by BDLbrewster
Minotaur

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a light orange-amber with brown tings with moderate carbonation and a one finger head. Have had it on tap and from the bottle.

The aroma is a sweet and spicy: there is a decent amount of hops, allspice, clove and nutmeg. There is a toasted malt and sugary scent.

There is something thin and sharp about the taste of this ale. It is less malty than expected but produces a very strong nut-like flavor. The spices are right up front and can almost become cloying. I don't find it as appealing as the hoppier autumn ales but it is unique in presence.

The mouthfeel is soda-like and the thin nature causes bit of bitter sharpness that lingers on the tongue. I believe it is only moderately drinkable due to an lingering alcohol and bitter astringent nature that seems at odd with the sweetness of the spiced.

I don't find it as harmonized and smooth as it should be.

01-04-2010 01:38:54 | More by Minotaur
redsonja

Netherlands

3.98/5  rDev -2%

A/ dark yellow amber

S/ a lot of pumpkin,dark caramel

T/ pumpkin pumpkin strange taste for us dutch

M/ the pumpkin stays in your mouth strange beer but i like it

D/ good but not more than one or two the taste is quite out there and is dominant.

for us dutch its a strange beer we dont taste pumkin that mutch.

01-03-2010 14:14:11 | More by redsonja
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%

This thing (literally) glows like a jack-o-lantern! The orangey pumpkin colour was no surprise but its sheer luminescence is slightly baffling; even despite the lack of clarity it flares right up, its shine enough to light a dark autumn evening. The Pumking adorns a thin crown that is bejeweled with thick bubbles. It certainly looks suitable for a king.

This is undoubtedly one of my most favourite aromas of all the thousands of beers I've ever had. And it isn't easy to describe (at least not to do it justice, anyhow). It is very pumpkin pie-esque but substantially distinctive in its own right. It has a budding bouquet of hops, malts and spices and is also redolent of custard, vanilla and graham cracker crust.

The taste is no different - it is brimming with notes of clove, vanilla ice cream, custard, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin and biscuity, honeycomb malts. Unlike many pumpkin ales I don't find this one overly reliant on the spices. It's not spicy per se and is rightfully malty (and hoppy) in its own right; the spices make excellent accents but don't stand-out.

Let me put it more simply: imagine the tastiest pumpkin-pie you've ever, ever had. Think a crispy, crumbly graham cracker crust that wasn't spared an ounce of shortening. Think of a fleshy pumpkin center - spiced with some combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and clove - and a heaping mound of vanilla ice cream served on the side.

And it has the all the richness of a high butterfat cream. Yet its brittle but assertive hoppiness and its crumbly, wafer-y maltiness ensure that it drinks with the utmost crispness and invigorating refreshment. It is made-up like a zestful American IPA and it drinks with the sessionability of an English mild. Don't just buy one, buy several bottles.

Pumking is THE king of pumpkin beers in my opinion. I like plenty, but love few, of this unique but often overly perfumed and overly spiced style. Southern Tier's offering appeals to me because, despite the distinct pumpkin-pie flavouring and spices and high alcohol, it drinks just like an easily quaffed, quality IPA. I cannot recommend it enough.

12-30-2009 21:24:16 | More by biegaman
Mora2000

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle.

Pours orange with a small white head. Aroma is strong pumpkin with caramel malt and toasted malt. Very inviting. The flavor is very strong, with pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and ginger). The spice gets less apparent as it warms up. The beer is very sweet and has a creamy mouthfeel. Medium mouthfeel and low carbonation. Best pumpkin ale I have ever tried.

12-29-2009 21:51:49 | More by Mora2000
Kelp

New Hampshire

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured out a nice copper color into my glass. Smells like I am about to drink a pumpkin pie. Taste just like it smells, right up front is the pumpkin pie filling. followed by the taste of the graham cracker crust and then a subtle finish of the whipped topping(vanilla). Just sweeps across the tongue. I can do a bottle but after that it would be hard to try and do another. Great a bottle at a time but anything more might be to much for me.

12-25-2009 20:37:02 | More by Kelp