Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 08-26-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

A: Pours a nice pumpkin pie orange with head that fades quickly.

S: This beer smells almost exactly like pumpkin pie. Cloves, nutmeg, allspice, and a dash of cinnamon.

T: The taste is spot on with the aroma, pumpkin pie all the way. All of the spices from the aroma appear again with a noticeable hop smack thrown in.

O: It's easy to see why this is one the most popular pumpkin brews every year.

rebel1771, Dec 04, 2011

Higgity, Dec 04, 2011

gthompsonri, Dec 04, 2011

pavpav12, Dec 04, 2011

RoryOMoore, Dec 03, 2011

THEOPTIMATOR88, Dec 03, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

This is by far my favorite of the pumkin style beers. I have had this from the tap, the bottle, the growler, and even from the fermentor on one lucky occasion. This beer pours a little hazy but has a wonderfully thick head and balances itself out after leaving just a trace of lacing on the glass. I know it is a little bit on the sweet side but it is truly my favorite imperial stout. I went so far as to buy a 1/6 keg for my kegerator. I drink it out of a goblet and find that 2 or 3 beers later my life seems much less hectic. If you get a chance to try it please do. Dont let the $9 price tag on the bottle throw you. It is worth every penny.

sniper061, Dec 03, 2011

mouth7, Dec 03, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Bottle-to-tulip. Cold, out of the fridge as per the label.

A: Pours a nice golden orange color that isn't quite crystal clear, but isn't overly hazy. A one-and-a-half finger head very quickly dissipates to a trace on the surface. (As I drank, I swear this beer started to look like pumpkin pie.)

S: All pumpkin pie, all the time. Immediate allspice and nutmeg. A pleasure that made it difficult to not taste immediately—so I did.

T: I was not disappointed by what the aroma had promised me. Sweet pie spices, bread/malt/yeast. Couldn't taste the ABV.

M: Smooth, with a bit of body behind it. Not very bubbly.

O: Disappointed I split this with my wife, as I am still craving more. This is the best pumpkin beer I've ever had, and I will make it a point to have several every fall, if possible.

jpbebeau, Dec 03, 2011

Nitrogenx, Dec 02, 2011

SmokeyJoesCafe, Dec 02, 2011

glaketek, Dec 02, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Bomber poured into a Sam Adams pint glass. Reviewed from notes.

A - Pours a pale orange with a two-finger, frothy head that dissipates quickly, leaving behind some lacing.

S - Aromas of pumpkin, spices, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg all combine to create the smell of fresh baked pumpkin pie. I also get a crust-like aroma, which only adds to the overall pumpkin pie feel.

T - Tastes like liquified pumpkin pie. Pumpkin and spices are again the major players here. Vanilla also jumps some. Some sweet malty flavors hang around in the background.

M - Lighter side of medium body. Medium to light carbonation. Goes down smooth and crisp.

O - My favorite pumpkin beer. I'm generally not a huge fan of the style but I really enjoy this one. I might be a little biased in my review since pumpkin pie is one of my favorite foods and this beer tastes and smells just like pumpkin pie.

Mahlik, Dec 01, 2011

rutgersjpm, Dec 01, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -14%

barnzy78, Dec 01, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

The smell is like a pumpkin pie baking, it smells sweet like you should serve it with whipped cream but then again that would not go well. I like the burnt orange color and that it is semi cloudy. The taste is strong but not too powerful. I enjoy the different spices and how they dance on your tongue.I can't have only one glass and I usually drink it until it has been exhausted at all my favorite bars.

cprice5, Dec 01, 2011