Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 08-26-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros

jdhasse, Sep 16, 2012

fdig23, Sep 16, 2012

jrohrbacher, Sep 16, 2012

Dirtinabottle, Sep 16, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

A - 4.0 - Slightly clouded gold. Fizzy white head that settles down to a thin film island in a minute.

S - 4.5 - The crust of the pie. The crust of the pie! You can smell it from a foot away. So nice. That's what makes this beer

T - 4.5 - More crust, just enough molassesy brown sugary sweetness but not too much. Hint of spices. Custardy pumpkin pie filling.

M - 4.0 -Medium body, with a nice somewhat buttery feel, yet somehow still ends near crisp

O - 4.25 - Truly pumpkin pie in a glass, which is great if you're me and you love pumpkin pie. Everybody kept saying this was the best pumpkin ale and I didn't want to listen because I had heard it was heavier on the spices, which is exactly what I don't like in a pumpkin ale - just a mouthful of spices. But they were right. This is the best pumpkin ale I've ever had, and I had basically given up on the style. The pumpkin component is right and the spices are deftly done and the accompanying flavors and aromas evoking buttery baked goods are just delicious. The whole thing is beautiful. If I had any way to make it better, I might make it a bit heavier and more robust. It was lighter than expected. Still very good though.

BrownNut, Sep 16, 2012

Guybrush, Sep 16, 2012

benlaverriere, Sep 16, 2012

wcl113, Sep 16, 2012
4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

2012 Release into my Pumking tulip.

I have to admit I love pumpkin beers. When this first crossed my path I bought one and dumped it out after two sips. It tasted like a dollar store pumpkin spice candle. I didn't want to be the asshole that gave this beer an F so I decided not to review it.

Since than I've revisited several beers and have been surprised in which I've had grown into and others that remained vile wastes of water and ingredients. I think this will be good to see hoe my tastebuds are expanding and improving.

A- Crystal clear orange, light copper pour. Finger and a half, short lived snow white head. Lacing is decent.

S- Fresh baked pumpkin pie crust. Not the pumpkin the flaky, doughy, buttery wonderful crust of a fresh baked pie. Cinnamon, nutmeg and some brown sugar. Lingering in the back is some pumpkin but the crust aroma dominates.

T- Nutmeg and cinnamon right up front, followed by fresh pumpkin and some brown sugar with a dryness of crust in the end. Much more natural tasting than I originally remembered.

M- Medium body, decent carbonation, and a slightly dry finish.

O- I have to say, this really surprised me. For years I hated the thought of this beer and with time grew a appreciation for different things. I'm really glad I revisited this. Huge improvement in my palate and can't wait to get more.

korguy123, Sep 16, 2012

RMoeNay, Sep 15, 2012

bigbeers84, Sep 15, 2012

pma7779, Sep 15, 2012
4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

A quick pour into a Duvel tulip yields a 1.5 inch, fairly dense head, quickly dissipating to a quarter inch of tiny bubbles that nicely coats the side of a tilted glass. The color is a bright amber tending to orange. The beer is remarkably transparent, considering its rich flavor.

The aroma is that of overripe pumpkin, with allspice and hints of nutmeg and, maybe, cinnamon. The smell is not particularly complex, but evocative and on the mark.

The beer is sweet almost to the point of being cloying, but that, while comprising the most controversial aspect of this distinguished brew, is its strength. It is the essence of its personality. The sweetness is cojoined with the taste of pumpkins and associated autumnal and Thanksgiving spices for a result that I consider sublime.

The beer's texture is creamy, without a sense of heaviness.

In sum, this is a remarkable elixir, as capable of eliciting memory of--and longing for--a taste as any beer I have encountered.

Altrurian, Sep 15, 2012

avacadohotsauce, Sep 15, 2012

nstroup, Sep 15, 2012

Bank_of_Bad_Habits, Sep 15, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

This is definitely the most delicious ale I have tried so far, too bad its only seasonal.
I bought in the bottle and poured into large mug. Consumed at 50 degrees. I like my ale warmer, but this one in particular is best cold, 40 or below.
-The appearance of the ale while and after I poured into my glass was a pure orange/amber color with light dissipating carbonation which feels great while drinking.
-The smell is very sweet, with a hint of nutmeg. Smells similar to candy corn.
-now for the taste.. wow. I was not expecting a taste even more delicious than the smell. Imagine biting into a delicious pumpkin pie while drinking one of your favorite ales. Now put it together. Incredible brew here. The taste stays in your mouth for a while, and warms you up really quickly. This is a perfect brew for the holidays, and I've already recommended to many friends and family.

Jwicker, Sep 15, 2012