Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 08-26-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

psdonnelly, Sep 12, 2012

Googs, Sep 12, 2012

pauljunk, Sep 12, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

wattoclone, Sep 12, 2012
4.48/5  rDev +10.3%

I've had this beer by bottle and on tap where I work, and you wouldn't believe the people coming in and spending hundreds of dollars on this beer. I think they make it with actual opiates. Like I said, I don't like pumpkin beers, and here I sit, with a $14 bottle of it.

It looks like a pumpkin beer should. The color of pumpkin pie filling. Bronzed in the oven and still warm after turkey dinner.

It smells like what I was hoping for the first time I was disappointed by a pumpkin ale- vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, clove, and somehow, butter. It's all subtly hopped for a truly sophisticated olfactory menage.

It tastes EXACTLY like my grandmother's pumpkin pie. All the aromas are there, but less butter more vanilla. The mouthfeel is perfect viscosity with an impossible creaminess for this style. This makes up for the lack of a memorable head in the beginning, but I'd honestly like a bit more gravity.

Overall, it's grandma's pumpkin pie at 8.6% ABV...
All hail the Pumking.

Also, I think this beer excels in a weizen glass rather than a conical pint glass to accentuate the aroma and bring out the head a bit.

DougFresh, Sep 12, 2012
4.48/5  rDev +10.3%

Really excited about finally trying this one! Nice smoke on the open, poured into a globe.

A - A translucent orange/amber hue with a lace-filled pale head around one fingers width.

S - Insanely rich pumpkin pie here! This is one of the most intense noses I have ever encountered. Big spices and bleeding fresh pie! Unbelievable.

T - A pinch of caramel malts existing purely to be overwhelmed by pumpkin puree and spices. Tastes as if it is being served over graham cracker crust topped with whipped cream. Truly unreal.

M - Medium body with a bit too much carbonation for my taste. If this were a bit more creamy I might delve into a coma upon consumption.

O - Drinkability is pretty nice for a brew of this ABV. It definitely will catch up to you. If you like pumpkin pie, buy this.... it really is that simple.

This is my new benchmark for a good pumpkin ale, no competition is even with the scope of what this beer has accomplished in my mouth.

mscudder, Sep 12, 2012

cortez, Sep 12, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Horbar, Sep 12, 2012

doc17325, Sep 12, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +17%

jeddis1, Sep 11, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

This is one of those beers that you wait for and wait for and wait for.. one of my Fav of the style.

I am not big on Pumpkin Ales but this one is just that speical ..

A. looks great in the glass looks like Autum for sure. Nice orange golden color. some lacing small head.

S. Smells like fresh pumkin crust. thats right, the crust of the pumpkin pie . not over bareing spices to smell .

T. taste like it smells . I swaer thay add blended pie crust to this Beer. it does have some hop presences and has a very dry clean finish.

M. med body. light carbination

O. like i stated at the start this is a beer I wait and wait and wait for every year. I also for the last two years put a bottle aside to drink on Oct 31st of the following year. cannot wait to crack my 2011 bottle this year.

buzzedup, Sep 11, 2012

jivex5k, Sep 11, 2012

PatGreer, Sep 11, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

22 oz bottle, bottled on 08/28/12, poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pours a clear golden orange color, produces a fizzy half-finger of white head that recedes to a few wisps, leaves some spotty lacing.

S- Wow, the aroma on this beer is absolutely delicious. Very vivid pumpkin pie aroma, as well as some nutmeg, cinnamon, graham cracker malt and brown sugar, but the star of this is the pumpkin pie, seriously, it smells goddamn amazing. This is one of the best aromas I've ever seen on a beer, I actually can't imagine how any pumpkin beer could possibly smell better than this.

T- Follows through on the aroma really well, once again the pumpkin really dominates the flavor, as well as some spices as in the nose. Also getting some graham-cracker malt and a bit of boozy sweetness, but not much for 8.6%.

M- Medium-bodied, smooth feel, moderate carbonation.

O- A very solid pumpkin beer, a bit sweet but still very tasty (also at $6-7 for a bomber this is a damn steal).

WillCarrera, Sep 11, 2012
4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

Enjoyed this 650ml bottle out of a large snifter glass.

A: Pours a copper-orange hue with a thin, white,1-finger head that quickly dissipates and leaves a small wispy lace.

S: Great caramel, pumpkin spice, and cinnamon aroma with hints of all-spice, nutmeg and coriander.

T: Tastes exactly like the smell with that great pumpkin, cinnamon flavor. The all-spice and nutmeg and coriander make it taste like a pumpkin pie.

M: Heavy body and minimal carbonation.

O: Wow – this is by far the best pumpkin beer I have ever had. Excellent flavor and aromas and a good amount of alcohol.

ckollias, Sep 11, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

PuFtonLyfe, Sep 11, 2012

TheRuss9585, Sep 10, 2012
4.53/5  rDev +11.6%

A - Poured straight down the middle, forming a billowing one finger white head that slowly fades. Deep orange hue.

S - Just like grandma's pumpkin pie. Hints of vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg,and clove. Very sweet aroma.

T - Taste follows the smell! Pumpkin with underlying spice. Crisp and sharp on the palette.

M - Medium body and very pleasant mouthfeel. Can't taste the higher ABV whatsoever.

O - If you are looking for straight up pumpkin pie in a glass, this is the beer to try. Amazing pumpkin ale. Will definitely have again. And again.

Dweaversauce, Sep 10, 2012

4.75/5  rDev +17%

Ray7233, Sep 10, 2012

Smartpig, Sep 10, 2012
1.35/5  rDev -66.7%

I missed my chance to try this last year. After all the hoopla and with much anticipation I scored 2 bottles this week. What a disappointment! Thank goodness I didn't buy an overpriced case of this goo. As pumpkin ales go, this is the worst by far of the dozen or so that I've tried. Looks great, smells sweet, tastes like liquefied caramel corn and not at all like pumpkin. No way this deserves an Excellent rating, in my opinion. If Grandma's pumpkin pie tasted like this, I'd lose my Thanksgiving dinner.

I've had several other Southern Tier brews - all very good. Just adds to the surprising let down.

barneysdad, Sep 10, 2012