Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 08-26-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured into tulip glass

Appearance: Color is typical of the style being an dirty orange-copper with a minimal head. The head dissipates quickly and leaves very little to no lacing.

Smell: Smells like a liquid pumpkin pie. I get cinnamon, nutmeg and the pumpkin. I can actually smell the pie crust in this beer. This beer has captured the pumpkin pie smell as if a pumpkin pie is baking in my oven. One big sweet smelling brew.

Taste: Big nutmeg and pumkin taste mixed with cinnamon. Very sweet in the middle after the initial spices almost like a brown sugar sweetness. No hops to speak of in this one. The aftertaste is a vanilla sweetness that lingers for a while.

Mouthfeel: An easy drinker and smooth feel. Carbonation is light. This is rather thin and not especially noteworthy.

Overall: A big tasting pumpkin beer in that it has truly captured the taste of pumpkin pie. If you are in the mood for a big sweet pumpkin beer, this is definitely one you should reach for.

2.48/5  rDev -38.9%

I was really excited about this beer, so much so that I drove it all the way down to Arkansas with me so I could take it to a friends house who isn't really a beer person. I wanted to give him something unique...little did I know how unique this beer would actually be. Poured from the bottle into two different pint glasses.

Appearance - Looks fine, pours a nice orange/amber color with a decent head that sticks around for some time and leaves a little lacing. Not too bad of an appearance, certaily fits the unique profile of this style.

Smell - Pumpkins, spices, cloves, and a bit of a buttery scent. Pretty tasty

Taste - Here's where the beer took a remarkable turn downward. Tasted like chemically-treated pumpkins and bitter metallic. It was absolutely awful. There was a hint of pumpkin in there, but was overpowered by artificial sweetness and some sort of metallic funk.

Mouthfeel - The metallic/chemcial nastiness lingers long after you take the drink. Terrible.

Overall - Who knows, maybe I got a bad bottle. I don't think so, I bought this at a very reputable joint and drank it well before the expiration date. Not exposed to high temps, did not get cold and hot multiple times. I don't know. But this was one of the worst beers I have ever had the displeasure of drinking. My buddy and I both drain poured most of our glasses, which I do not do very often. I'll never buy it again, I would like to try it again to make sure I didn't get a bad bottle though,

3.91/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance: Clear straw body, almost white head and OK lacing.

Aroma/Flavor: Straight pumpkin pie. Heavy handed seasonal spices and a hint of pumpkin peaks through on the nose and is slightly more present on the palate. I also get this weird astringent flavor reminiscent of earwax as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Insanely sticky and filling. I've never been able to take down a bomber by myself without feeling like I ate and entire family's thanksgiving dinner.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

3.13/5  rDev -22.9%

Appearance is pale orange with a decent head.

Aroma has the usual pumpkin beer lot (pumpkin pie, cloves, but also with vanilla and a buttery scent as well).

Taste: Beer is slightly malty with the spices listed about coming through with a small zing of hops.

Overall: This used to be one of the great ones (pumpkin ales), but it has fallen off a bit. Gone is the gord-like pumpkin flavor that has been replaced with a flatter more chemical taste in the end. Not terrible, just not great (much better ones out there). Cheers!!

4.48/5  rDev +10.3%

A - Orange pour, decent carbonation, light lacing

S - Pumpkin, pumpkin spices, vanilla

T - It tastes like good ole pumpkin in a beer.

M - Light body, easy drinking considering the abv.

O - Excellent pumpkin beer. Not for everyone. The buttery taste for some isn't quite "there". However, I love it!! One of my favs during Fall.

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from a bottle into pint glass after work.
Appearance: Pours a translucent orange amber, with a 2 inch head that dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell: Straight up spiced pumpkin pie. No hops no malts, just pie.

Taste: Its very sweet. It has all of the characteristics of pumpkin pie. You can definitely tell it's pumpkin puree. Caramel malts, vanilla creme, and graham cracker dominate. You have to like pumpkin pie.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation.

Drinkability: Probably best Pumpkin ale we sell at Hop City, although I am interested to try the Weyerbacher pumpkin. With over 30+ pumpkin beers every season it can get a little overwhelming. I believe Southern Tier achieved exactly what they wanted here so congrats for that.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

A few years ago I did a survey of every pumpkin beer I could find. This was not available, but if it were I think it would have won. This is a bizarre brew. It tastes like pie crust and ale. It looks like an AIPA, light and orangy.

The taste is creamy and the aftertaste is of sugary, ale-like, hard to describe. It is not especially balanced, it is over the top. But it is pretty drinkable (after having a taste in the store I bought a bomber). Highly recommended.

2013 - (previous was 2012) - Had some of this on tap and it is a different experience. There is still a pumpkin pie aroma, but the taste is that of an extremely refined strong ale with pumpkin. Outstanding.

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

A) Nice dark orange amber - what you would expect from a pumkin ale

S) Very immediate, strong spicy aroma. Nutmeg comes through and no mistaking it's a seasonal beeer

T) Sweetness is immediate, the flavors blend well with pumpkin, nutmeg and vanilla hints but very overpowering for the pallette.

M) Very smooth and flows easy. Nothing special to note here

O) This is exactly what you would expect from a pumpkin beer. It's spicy and has bold flavors and if you like seasonal spice-laden beers, you'll love this. It was a bit much for me and I could see maybe having one as a dessert beer after Thanksgiving meal? But overall it was too much spice for my liking.

4.75/5  rDev +17%