Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 08-26-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
Preismj

4.53/5  rDev +11.3%

a: orange/brown translucent brew with a rich head that settles quickly. Nice sticky sporadic lacing with a fluffy foam being offwhite.

s: pie crust. straight pie crust. Bready and buttery with hints of nutmeg and brown sugar...but the scent of pumpkin takes the stage in the finish of the nose.

t: wonderful. hints of alcohol hit quickly and fade into a yeasty sweetness with touches of butter which honestly taste just like the crust of pie. a light sweetness followed with bitter and spice (nutmeg, cinnamon and clove come to mind) is presented and the finish comes in strong from pumpkin flavors and wrap up with that delicious bready pie crust again. This is just dead on pumpkin pie. I can't believe how good this really is.

m: a bit lighter in body that I would prefer. This would just be the perfect brew if they thickened it a touch as that pumpkin pie flavor would be so much more wonderful if it coated the palette better with a thicker bolder feel. nice carbonation level here as it doesn't create an issue with reading the flavor yet really helps the flavors pop.

o: best pumpkin beer I've had to date. I can't imagine it getting much better than this. I could drink this all throughout the fall and look forward to taking part in this experience again soon.

07-22-2011 02:47:49 | More by Preismj
mocktm

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

I don't know why, but I've always had a thing for pumpkin beers, and Southern Tier, with their well established line of off-centered dessert beers, such as Creme Brulee, was certainly the ideal candidate to bring this style to the next level. Got a craving last night, so I cracked open one of my remaining bottles from last year's batch.

This beer has a bit of age on it, so the carbonation isn't quite what it once was. Pours a spectacularly bright orange hue with a finger or so of meringue colored head. Thick and syrupy body lets you know that this is going to be very sugary sweet.

The nose on this beer is amazing, blowing any other pumpkin beer I've ever had away completely. Full-flavored aromas of pumpkin (obviously), cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar and vanilla. Just like a pie out of the oven; they really nailed it.

Like eating pumpkin pie, all the for-mentioned flavors above are present and active. Alcohol content is completely hidden, although it has had time to mellow out a bit. Great, great beer.

For the style, the mouthfeel is appropriate: thick, syrupy and leaning towards a heavier body. However, my only real complaint with this beer is that it can be a bit tough to finish a bomber by yourself in one sitting, given the sweetness profile. Probably a beer best shared, unless they start bottling 12 ouncers.

Overall, I really thoroughly enjoy this beer. Some may call pumpkin beers a novelty, but I say its a now pretty well-established style, and this might be the best of them.

07-16-2011 15:51:39 | More by mocktm
tykees88

Indiana

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

A- pretty dark orange pumpkin color. hazy color not to clear. The head on this is only about a half finger. And the lacing is lacking.

S- exceptional for the style, exceptional for my nose. Pumpkin pie smells permeate the nostrils. Clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin. A bit of hop to remind you it's beer.

T- Taste is good. A solid beer for pumpkin, but it's nothing special. The malt flavor somewhat is a bit of a drownout for the rest of the brew.

M- slightly chewy, good carbonation bubbles

O- Pretty awesome beer. Super pumped I had it on tap.

07-06-2011 00:24:52 | More by tykees88
Mypintishalffull

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

I got into pumpkin beers last fall for the first time and I think it's now my favorite style. I wish they were available year round. I heard there is a pumpkin beer festival on the west coast I would love to go! This beer poured an orange amber color into my pint glass. The aroma had a lot of spices and clove in there. Very interesting and not what I expected. The taste is strong! The label says the beer is above 8 percent but I never had a beer quite like this. Great mouthfeel, even a bit chewy. Lots of complexity. Spices in the finish and lingers in your nose and mouth after swallowing. Really great beer overall.

THE PUMKING ROCKS!

07-02-2011 22:48:38 | More by Mypintishalffull
CraftAleRookie

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle (no date stamp) into a Dogfish Head oversized snifter.

Copper/Orange color, murky haze. One finger bubbly head that very quickly faded. Very little lace remained. Subsequent "top off" pours quickly produced nice bubbly head, but they faded fast.

Wonderful array of Halloween smells- banana bread, pumpkin pie, orange peel- slight hint of alcohol. The array of nasal treats are matched on the tongue- pumpkin spice and banana bread being the dominate tastes. There is a very slight alcohol note on the finish, but it does not distract from the experience.

This brew has a medium body and thick viscosity- with a very smooth, slightly bubbly feel. Overall, this is on the extreme end of the pumpkin scale for a pumpkin ale. If you like a "hint" of pumpkin in your Halloween ale, this will knock you over. However, if you want to taste bold pumpkin and spice flavors, this is your ale!

06-30-2011 10:10:59 | More by CraftAleRookie
taigor

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured into regular pint glass.

A - Poured slightly hazy orange color with medium head that quickly dissipated leaving slight lacing around the glass.

S - Very strong smell of pumpkin pie, vanilla, nutmeg and spices.

T - Pumpkin taste to start with brown sugar sweetness and vanilla to follow with a strong finish of spices.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O - Very well balanced pumpkin ale, one of the best I have ever tasted. ABV is well hidden but does come through in the taste as you continue drinking the ale. I would highly recommend it.

06-15-2011 19:25:22 | More by taigor
Jason

3.58/5  rDev -12%

22oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

Heady start as the foam almost crests over the top of the glass, bright golden orange color. Smells of pumpkin bread and vanilla wafers, a very sweet nose. Very smooth big body. Pumpkin to start then sweetness, soon the spices kick in as well as the hops. Alcohol does not chime in until a few sips in and quickly warms the mouth. A slow sipper due to the more robust flavors of spice and malt sweetness ... the alcohol as well. Certainly worth a go, I bet some pork loin would love to be brined in this.

06-14-2011 03:24:02 | More by Jason
KickInTheChalice

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: Golden orange color, with a foamy off-white head that lives a few spots of lace.

Smell: Sweet candy and biscuity malt, vanilla, pumpkin, and a bit of spices.

Taste: Sweet vanilla blends in with a biscuity malt, some caramel, and a dash of spices. Finishes lightly sweet.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, medium carbonation, slightly sticky on the tongue. A light dry flourish at the end.

Overall: Pretty good, somewhat sweet, although less pumpkin-y than I expected.

06-11-2011 03:01:17 | More by KickInTheChalice
drinkmybeer

Wisconsin

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

It's like drinking a slice of pumpkin pie. The best pumpkin beer ever! Most Pumpkin beers do not have this favor! My friends and I love this seasonal release. Southern Tier doe not make any beer in this class of brew. after one taste, you will be a punking fan.

06-11-2011 01:24:24 | More by drinkmybeer
Knapp85

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

My first thought about Pumking before even opening the bottle was "That's a Badass looking Label". The evil grin on the Pumpkin's face with the crown just really made me excited to try this brew. Two years ago I had picked up a bottle for a friend and myself to split and we loved it. The following year I bought a case and still have one or two bottles left now.

The beer pours out as a clear copper color. The smell of spice and brown sugar rise from the glass along with some pumpkin and other seasonal spices. The taste of the beer reminded me of a Ginger Snap cookie but in a liquified form. It's spicy and sweet. The mouthfeel could be a little thicker I think but overall it's a really good Pumpkin ale and I enjoy it every time I have it.

05-31-2011 14:48:51 | More by Knapp85
Brouwerij78

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Delicious, pumpkin-y and spicy (but not overkill). A very nice medium-rich beer - good for a fall night or an afternoon of carving pumpkins. Nice paired with a hearty stew or a few gingerbread cookies. A bit pricy at 8-10 dollars for a 2 serving bottle...worth it if you have it once a year as a seasonal treat.

05-27-2011 00:02:00 | More by Brouwerij78
NODAK

Tennessee

4.15/5  rDev +2%

I had this beer last year, and it was a far different experience for me. I always felt as if I had received a bad bottle, so I gave it another go this year. I'm glad I did.

Aroma is quite sweet, full of pumpkin, nutmeg, and cinnamon. This also has a bready component underneath that makes itself known.

Pours an orang-ish color....kind of hard to describe for me. Lacing and head weren't much to speak about from what I had.

Taste is one of the sweeter pumpkin beers that I've had. There are definite big flavors of pumpkin and nutmeg there, with vanilla as well. There's also a touch of cinnamon that shows as well, which is a nice touch. It isn't cloying, however. One of the knocks against this beer is that some find it too sweet, but I didn't find it to be overbearing like some of ST's other beers are. Towards the finish, there's a note of bread there and a small, dry bitterness that twinges the sides of the tongue and allows for a nice wrap-up to the beer.

I'm glad I gave this one another shot, as I really did enjoy it this time around. It's now a favorite in a style that sadly is only around for a couple months a year.

05-06-2011 01:13:11 | More by NODAK
kevinv

1.02/5  rDev -74.9%

I wanted to give this one another try. After unintentionally skipping over this one during the '09 season, I bought into the hype in '10 and mistakenly purchased 8 of these bombers without having tasted it before. 9 times out of 10 it always seems to be the first name out of a beer lovers mouth when discussing pumpkin beers, so it's got to be good....right?

2010 vintage.

A - Pours a clear, bright orange. Only a tiny film of white bubbles. Little to no lacing - spotty at best.

S - Smells like a sweet pumpkin candy. Some cinnamon and vanilla come through, but there's an overwhelming butterscotch scent. Just like I remember from my first experience with this one. Not inviting at all.

T - Revolting artificial and candy-like pumpkin and butterscotch. Seriously unpleasant. If I closed my eyes, I'd imagine that I'm drinking a glass of artificial pumpkin flavoring liquid.

M - Very watery. Lacks any "oomph" or body to it. Moderate carbonation.

D - Completely abhorrent.

This one's going down the drain, again. I'm glad other people like this stuff so that I can easily send out the couple remaining bottles as extras.

05-01-2011 22:01:33 | More by kevinv
paxkey

Ontario (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

orange colored brew with an orange tinted head.

smells like pumpkin pie. nutmeg pumpkin. smells amazing

bitter sweet at the start followed by pumpkin and nutmeg with a dry chalky finish. some sweetness in finish some bitterness. very nice balance.

a beer to drink in small quantities. great for sharing great for dessert. a winning beer.

04-20-2011 02:05:16 | More by paxkey
jrenihan

Ontario (Canada)

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Beer is amber in colour with a thick (two finger widths) white head that settles down to about a finger width.

The smell is unbelievable. No doubt that there is pumpkin in here- it really smells like a wonderful pumpkin pie. Nutmeg and cloves as well. Wow. It actually smells better than most pumpkin pies.

The taste is no surprise after the smell- it is pumpkin pie, pumpkin pie, pumpkin pie. The alcohol does change things, as it is fairly noticeable. Touch of bitterness in the taste as well.

Mouthfeel is where this beer falls a bit for me. Very carbonated, too much so for me. Very "active" in the mouth, almost irritating. Other than that, it is nicely light bodied, which is appropriate for the taste.

Overall, there is no doubt that this is the best pumpkin ale I have ever had, and I really can't imagine one being any better. I like pumpkin pie a lot, but I would take this over pumpkin pie. The gold standard for the style, no doubt about that.

04-10-2011 20:20:49 | More by jrenihan
malty

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

Bomber that's been hiding in the back of my garage beer fridge since last November. Since it's snowing/raining/blowing outside, and I've got a fire roaring in the fireplace, seems like a great time to enjoy this.

Poured into my Duvel glass a beautiful full orange color with the slightest chill haze. The white, full, fluffy head settles to 3/4" with lots of craggy ringed remnants 2" above it. Sparse, slow rising fine carbonation lets me know this is a heavier, meatier ale.

The smell on this gem is heavenly. I swear this smells EXACTLY like my mother-in-law's homemade pumpkin pie. FRESH, FRESH , FRESH notes of everything that makes pumpkin pie wonderful. All the way down to the masterful nuances of nutmeg and the actual scratch-made buttered, flakey crust. Allspice, cinnamon and roasted pumpkin scents are very organic, balanced and perfectly showcased in the nose. Honestly, I cannot ever remember smelling a better pumpkin beer. Ever.

Wow! Wow! Wow! This luscious bombshell really bangs it home. There is a surprisingly dry/spicy attack at the onset of the flavor. It's got an almost gingery taste, put it's got to be a healthy hop bill. Nonetheless, the ginger element fits in nicely with all the aforemention scents that translate perfectly into their actual 'flavors'. This is one beautifully balanced, yet burly, boisterous and superbly accurate tasting pumpkin ales I've had the pleasure of tasting.

Mouthfeel is a bit syrupy, but that's to expected being 9% ABV. The carbonation is very fine and perfectly placed; not too much, but enough to keep the flavors bouncing and dancing. The finish is full flavored and a bit spicy/dry.

Overall an absolutely stunning rendition of a fall favorite. While a lot of examples of this style come off contrived/fake tasting, this one rings true and as natural as can be. You can actually taste a heavy whipped cream dollop on the top and the flakey buttery crust too. Just perfect!

04-03-2011 20:35:59 | More by malty
Buggies

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Wow... a pumpkin beer that actually reminds you of moms Thanksgiving pumpkin pie. Aroma of pumpkin pie and caramel. All the spices in the background too.

Tastes great. Nothing over the top. Slightly sweet with spices in the background. Nice little bitter bite in the finish. The alcohol is warming on the throat.

The only thing I could ask for is a little more of a creamier mouth feel. The aroma and taste probably gets better as it warms a little, but I drank it too fast to find out.

03-22-2011 00:03:52 | More by Buggies
SirRuss

4.85/5  rDev +19.2%

Rhettroactive East Coast Collection continued...

A - Sits deep within the orange end of amber. A good initial head formation, and although retention is average, the lacing appears and adheres well.

S - Astonishing. Think Thanskgiving Confidential. This is the secret scent only known to the baking tray lucky enough to hold the pumpkin pie in the oven as it bakes into an golden orange melange of squash and spice so indecent that it has to be encased in the purest of biscuity bases. This is hands-down the most charasmatic and enchanting aroma of any brew that I have ever smelled.

T - Equally seductive. All that is presented by the nose comes into luxurious fruition on the palate. In addition to the outrageously literal interpretation of pumpkin pie, there is a vibrant wave of menthol freshness that empowers the palate to manage the super human demands made by this brew. So many individual attributes can lay claim to the genius of Pumking, but in the end it's the sharp cleanliness with which each extreme aspect is presented that earns the gold. Balance is absolutely spot on, and even the hops - which would play no part in the flavour profile of a traditional pumpkin pie profile - seem s to lend yet another clarifying effect here.

M - Solid carbonation, virtually imperceivable alcohol, and surprisingly dry in the finish. My only complaint is that the weight doesn't quite stand up to the flavor profile - it's a big ask, I know - but ultimately it falls a little but thin.

O - An amazing brew, superbly engineered and executed. It is unabashed intensity at its best, and mediocrity is clearly exiled in every aspect. I can see how this may be a little much for the traditional or timid, but that's the point. This is unbridled inhibition, passion, and creative catharsis - brace yourself for an icon of Pumpkinsanity.

03-20-2011 04:50:27 | More by SirRuss
Messiinnnaaaa

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Let me be the first to say that I am not really a pumpkin beer kinda guy. This beer changed that. Let me explain...

Appearance - pouring into a glass it was a nice shiny copper color and it produced a creamy white head that literally had what appeared to be cinnamon crystals in it.

Smell - immediately the smell of pumpkin pie. Most pumpkin beer you smell has a similar effect of evoking the memory of warm pumpkin pie on thanksgiving but this beer literally makes you think you are sitting down at a table ready to eat a piece of fresh pumpkin pie right in front of you. And the cinnamon smell blends perfectly so as not to overwhelm the senses of mask the pumpkin.

Taste - because it is an imperial ale the alcohol flavor is pretty up front and in your face. However, while I usually don't prefer this for some reason it really works to the benefit of the flavor of this beer. You can taste the pumpkin and cinnamon evenly with a nice smooth finish that makes you crave more. One sip and it will be hard to put the glass down.

Mouthfeel - another favorite point about this beer is that it is surprising light to taste. It has just the right about of carbonation to help explode the flavors on your tongue but not too much to make you feel too full after drinking. What I thought were cinnamon crystals in the head certainly seem to play the role of added sweetness upon sipping and really add a nice slightly grainy texture to it.

Overall I think this beer is pretty phenomenal. I always look forward to October when I can get my hands on it and not a year goes by that I don't celebrate the arrival of autumn with at least 1 bottle of Pumking.

03-18-2011 13:26:08 | More by Messiinnnaaaa
THECPJ

Delaware

reviewed from notes:

appearance: orange brown hue with a 1 finger heada

smell: vanilla, caramel, pumpkin spices

taste: caramel malts, pumpkin spices, some nuttiness

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: a pretty decent pumpkin beer. It's in the top 5 but not #1.

Cheers,
The CPJ

03-17-2011 16:23:49 | More by THECPJ
CuttDeez

A - A dark burnt orange color with a white head on this bomber poured into a pint glass,
S - pretty good smell on this one but nothing that will knock your socks off. Pumkin spice, vanilla, cinnamon, and hop malt grain.
T & M & D - This beer had one of the greatest tastes I have had in a long time. Think pumkin pie and mix it with sweet cream, cream cheese, and pudding. What an incredibly amazing beer. It also has deep notes from the spice of nutmeg cinnamon and roasted malt. This beer will wow you in everyway. i encourage you to try it because it sets a precident for halloween beer.

Great job Southern Tier!

03-15-2011 01:58:18 | More by CuttDeez
BrewCrew2010

Mississippi

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

A: A deep amber, almost orange, body. Head is decent size that leaves nice lacing and white in color.

S: Smells like pumpkin cheesecake. A sweet aroma of pumpkin spices, sweet malts, & vanilla.

T: I think I am in love! A nicely balance flavors of pumpkin spices (cinnamon, clove, & nutmeg), graham crackers, caramel, vanilla, & pumpkin for sure. Finishes a bit warm from the high ABV, but it's hardly noticable.

M: Medium body & carbonation. The texture is a bit lean, but still very creamy.

D: Awesome beer. A must try for anyone who has a love for this style.

03-12-2011 18:34:58 | More by BrewCrew2010
thedoubler55

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

On Tap at The Porter Bar in Atlanta, GA

A - Dark Orange that leaves a 2 finger lacing with some beautiful lacing that surrounds the glass.

S - Smells like thanksgiving pumpkin pie! Nice cinnamon background as well as some sweet sugar!

T - This is the best pumpkin brew I have ever had, taste just like the nose its absolutely fantastic.

M - Creamy, and just perfect in every sense.

D - The alcohol is not even noticeable, great brew from Southern Tier, never let down!

02-28-2011 00:24:21 | More by thedoubler55
Craftbrewlvr

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

The draft variety of this beer is just unbelievably rewarding. The color is deep amber and smell fragrant smelling of pumpkin pie spices, most notable being allspice but it is not overwhelming. Mouthfeel is smooth and slightly grainy and goes down smooth and gets tastier as it warms. As you drink down one the warmth arrives slowly as the high alcohol begins to kick in. The finish is like a full taste of pumpkin pie,including crust. It is tough to put down more than two 10 ounce goblets at one sitting as this is like drinking dessert. I can't wait till next Fall to test the 2011 batch. This is another outstanding Southern Tier product as all their beers get better with time.

02-25-2011 00:46:24 | More by Craftbrewlvr
Gtreid

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Review from notes 9/11/10. 22 oz. bottle poured into a tulip.

A: Clear golden amber color. Small, but nice off white head. Great lacing.

A: Smells of musty gourd, graham crackers, pumpkin pie spice, and hops. Pretty hoppy compared to other pumpkin ales I've had.

T: Tastes just like pumpkin pie. Graham cracker crust, pumpkin, and spice. Finishes slightly alcoholic but smooth.

M: Medium to full body, but not chewy. Carbonation is spot on.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is as good as a pumpkin beer can be. Can't have too many but a couple will do the trick. Overall, the best pumpkin I've had. Can't wait for next year. Skal.

02-23-2011 18:13:56 | More by Gtreid