Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +17%

3.25/5  rDev -20%

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.37/5  rDev +7.6%

A - 4.0 - Slightly clouded gold. Fizzy white head that settles down to a thin film island in a minute.

S - 4.5 - The crust of the pie. The crust of the pie! You can smell it from a foot away. So nice. That's what makes this beer

T - 4.5 - More crust, just enough molassesy brown sugary sweetness but not too much. Hint of spices. Custardy pumpkin pie filling.

M - 4.0 -Medium body, with a nice somewhat buttery feel, yet somehow still ends near crisp

O - 4.25 - Truly pumpkin pie in a glass, which is great if you're me and you love pumpkin pie. Everybody kept saying this was the best pumpkin ale and I didn't want to listen because I had heard it was heavier on the spices, which is exactly what I don't like in a pumpkin ale - just a mouthful of spices. But they were right. This is the best pumpkin ale I've ever had, and I had basically given up on the style. The pumpkin component is right and the spices are deftly done and the accompanying flavors and aromas evoking buttery baked goods are just delicious. The whole thing is beautiful. If I had any way to make it better, I might make it a bit heavier and more robust. It was lighter than expected. Still very good though.

4.09/5  rDev +0.7%

2012 Release into my Pumking tulip.

I have to admit I love pumpkin beers. When this first crossed my path I bought one and dumped it out after two sips. It tasted like a dollar store pumpkin spice candle. I didn't want to be the asshole that gave this beer an F so I decided not to review it.

Since than I've revisited several beers and have been surprised in which I've had grown into and others that remained vile wastes of water and ingredients. I think this will be good to see hoe my tastebuds are expanding and improving.

A- Crystal clear orange, light copper pour. Finger and a half, short lived snow white head. Lacing is decent.

S- Fresh baked pumpkin pie crust. Not the pumpkin the flaky, doughy, buttery wonderful crust of a fresh baked pie. Cinnamon, nutmeg and some brown sugar. Lingering in the back is some pumpkin but the crust aroma dominates.

T- Nutmeg and cinnamon right up front, followed by fresh pumpkin and some brown sugar with a dryness of crust in the end. Much more natural tasting than I originally remembered.

M- Medium body, decent carbonation, and a slightly dry finish.

O- I have to say, this really surprised me. For years I hated the thought of this beer and with time grew a appreciation for different things. I'm really glad I revisited this. Huge improvement in my palate and can't wait to get more.

4.67/5  rDev +15%

A quick pour into a Duvel tulip yields a 1.5 inch, fairly dense head, quickly dissipating to a quarter inch of tiny bubbles that nicely coats the side of a tilted glass. The color is a bright amber tending to orange. The beer is remarkably transparent, considering its rich flavor.

The aroma is that of overripe pumpkin, with allspice and hints of nutmeg and, maybe, cinnamon. The smell is not particularly complex, but evocative and on the mark.

The beer is sweet almost to the point of being cloying, but that, while comprising the most controversial aspect of this distinguished brew, is its strength. It is the essence of its personality. The sweetness is cojoined with the taste of pumpkins and associated autumnal and Thanksgiving spices for a result that I consider sublime.

The beer's texture is creamy, without a sense of heaviness.

In sum, this is a remarkable elixir, as capable of eliciting memory of--and longing for--a taste as any beer I have encountered.

4.75/5  rDev +17%