Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 08-26-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
mdfb79

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Duvel tulip.

a - Pours a nice golden orange-amber color with one finger of fluffy white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sweet pumpkin pie, spices, cinnamon, graham crackers, and caramel malts. Smells perfect; exactly how a pumpkin beer should in my opinion.

t - Tastes of spices, cinnamon, alcohol, pumpkin, caramel malts, and bready malts. Not as sweet as the smell, more spicey.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - A really good pumpkin ale. I thought it smelled amazing, but wish the taste was a little sweeter as opposed to spicey. Never the less, a great fall beer I will definitely have again.

09-05-2010 22:54:27 | More by mdfb79
Greatheil

Rhode Island

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

This is the first pumpkin beer that I've ever tried. That being said, I enjoyed this beer immensely.

The look was fantastic, gorgeous yellow/orange color when held up to light. Thick, creamy head that took several minutes to dissipate.

The smell is probably the best part of this beer, there's no hint of alcohol, or beer for that matter, just pumpkin and more pumpkin. Smelling this beer alone made me crave a pumpkin pie.

The taste is also fantastic, but a little inhibited by the high alcohol content. A lower abv would have been preferable to better present the fantastic pumpkin flavor.

Mouthfeel is exceptional. Pure and smooth.

Drunk by itself I could not have more than one of these, but if I were to pair it with some pumpkin pie or roasted pumpkin seeds I could easily drink two or three glasses. Definitely a beer I will drink again.

09-05-2010 03:50:08 | More by Greatheil
jwilson

2.38/5  rDev -41.5%

Poured into a pint class .
A- pours clear Orange, no head at all , no lacing on the glass .
S- smells kinda bready with faint pumpkin scent. Also has a sweet aroma to it.
T- taste mostly like it smells, bready.
M- light carbonation, medium body,
D- not really for me, a bit to sweet and bread tasting.

I have to say that this is only my second experience with pumpkin ales. So, maybe I just don't get it yet. I may try this beer again if I see it on tap but probably won't by it in the bottle again.

09-05-2010 03:05:04 | More by jwilson
nickadams2

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

A_Pours a clear amber with a bright orange tint. White fluffy head. Spotty lacing.

S_Not as strong as I expected. Faint pumpkin pie. Pumpkinand spices.

T_Same as smell. Pumpkin,cinnamon,nutmeg.Barley. Pretty clean finish and not overly sweet especially for the style.

M_Medium bodied,crisp,and clean finish.

D_One of the more drinkable pumpkin ales around.

Pretty surprised by how much I enjoyed this. Pumpkin ales usually not my thing and most of ST beers I find undrinkable. Actually this is the best ST brew I've had.

09-04-2010 16:54:35 | More by nickadams2
TK5150

Maine

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

A- Pours clear orange with a large fluffy off-white/beige colored head. Good looking beer.

S- Pumpkin pie, creme, nutmeg and cinnamon, orange creamsickle. By far the best smelling pumpkin beer I've had, and one of the best I've had, period, in a long time.

T- Not quite as good as the smell, but still pretty good. Cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin, orange creamsickle, and alcohol. The alcohol becomes more apparent as it warms. Best when chilled.

M- This is surprisingly a pretty full bodied beer, with a creamy mouthfeel that coats the mouth. It may just be the creaminess that makes it feel full bodied. High carbonation.

D- Very tasty pumpkin beer, and quite drinkable, but pumpkin pie style flavors are not what you want to be drinking all night though.

Overall, I was always hard on pumpkin beers, but this one is actually a quality beer. By far the best pumpkin beer I've had. A great beer for the season. Will have again for sure.

09-04-2010 16:43:43 | More by TK5150
JToad

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%

So excited to try this, as I love Pumpkin beers and I love Southern Tier.

Pours an clear orange, with some copper hues. Nice and frothy white head.

Nutmeg and cinnamon hit you right away. Smells like mom's pumpkin pie in the oven.

Slightly bitter, probably due to the cinnamon, but a smoothe finish. Tastes like liquid pumpkin pie, with some hops thrown in for good measure. A little vanilla on the back end makes for some nice complexity.

Very light all things considered, which in this case is a good thing. Dangerously drinkable @ 9%. And for $6.59, it's a steal.

Southern Tier knocks this one out of the park. Truly the best pumpkin beer I've ever had, and quite possibly one of the best beers in general. If you don't like pumpkin brews, this may not be for you. But damn is this delicious!

09-04-2010 14:49:39 | More by JToad
Khazadum

Finally landed in Chicago! Made sure to grab a few bottles from my favorite beer guy Adam. Couldn't wait more than a few hours to chill it and drink it.

Vision
Three-quarters of a finger white head quickly dissipated to nothing! Literally no bubbles, nothing left on top of my beer. This is the ugliest beer I have ever poured. Blood orange red body with a single thin carbonation stream running from the bottom of the glass.

Bouquet
I always thought a pumpkin beer should strive to smell like the filling of the pie, but I was proved wrong tonight. This beer showed me that there are different ways to frame the aroma of a beer.

There is the faintness of cinnamon and pumpkin surrounded by a strong malt presence. It makes me think of a nutty mixture of toffee and caramel. Most of all, it is like a buttery crust of the pumpkin pie. I don't think this aroma could get any better

Flavor Profile
Bitter pumpkin front, strong malt backbone reminding me of the aftertaste of pumpkin pie crust, caramels melted on top of that. It is good, but than a huge issue develops.

A metallic tang slips in and out during the finish of this beer. The 9% alcohol is obviously distracting and unfortunate. It morphs the finish of delicious pumpkin crust into burnt pumpkin pie laden with penny shavings. When the metals are faint on the finish, it is good, at least.

Oral Sensations
This beer lacks carbonation, lacks a presence, and lingers around with flavors that I most assuredly don't want. It isn't exactly like water, but it barely comes above that level.

Conclusions
Talk about a let down. I hope last year's wasn't like this ( 7.2% last year? ) because this surely failed to live up to the hype. I will never buy this beer for personal drinking again. Ever. If all I did was smell this, awesome. Too bad I had to drink it. It has a distracting heat, flavor, and feeling.

09-04-2010 05:53:08 | More by Khazadum
cetherid

2.68/5  rDev -34.2%

poured into a pint glass

A.

the color looks just like a standard ale. a nice foamy head with.

S.

The best part of this beer. the first thing I smell is actually pie crust with a strong mix of pumpkin spice. a hint of nutmeg in there. the more I smell it however it is like a Yankee candle. an artificial smell.

T.

maybe because I haven't had any pumpkin ales before, but it was a bit disappointing to me. hoppier than I expected, and too much spice. (see candle reference above). I guess I was expecting a more subtle pumpkin taste.

M.

a light bodied beer. decent amount of carbonation.

D.

doubt I'll get this again. I will definitely check out more pumpkin beers and get more acquainted with how they taste. a bit disappointed as this received some decent reviews. I would prefer if this were a bit more "medium bodied".

This might be a beer I need to review again, in say about a year after I've sampled many different pumpkin ales.

09-04-2010 04:09:24 | More by cetherid
oglmcdgl

On tap at tj's served in a snifter.

A- comes to me with a inch or so of white head that settles slowly to a solid ring and a few wisps on top.

S- hell if this don't smell like a fuckin pumpkin pie. Fall spice and sweet brown sugar. Pumpkin and pie crust I shit you not. There is a bigger hopping then in years past add a nice bitter fruit hit to the sweet and spice.

T- sweet and spice with a crusty bready hit. Fall spice with the bold earthy hops play well. The clear pumpkin flavors work with the brown sugar and malts to make a kinda hoppy pumpkin brew.

M- above medium in body and about the same in carb. Semi sweet and semi dry.

D- well I'm in quite the pickle here. This is tasty and a very good pumpkin ale. My problem is this beer used to be so much better. The first time around this stuff was damn near a stout now its like a pumpkin ipa. Is it still the best pumpkin ale out there, yes. Just a shadow of its former self. Such a shame.

09-04-2010 03:42:56 | More by oglmcdgl
Spider889

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured a crystal clear fiery orange - the color of the bottle, in fact. Tall white foamy head, with nice thick droopy lace.

Smelled immediately of lemons with lots of herbal notes. I kept picking out sage. There are some mild hoppy notes. The combination reminded me slightly of a Belgian IPA. There are faint pumpkin notes underneath it all, but so far this is the most unique-smelling pumpkin ale I've yet had. Would have liked some more spice on the nose, but overall
very good.

The taste is bright and hoppy. Almost like this beer is a pale ale base with the pumpkin ale ingredients as later additions. The spices never lose focus, but they are very well balanced (closest I've had would be DFH on the balance scale with the spicing). I hate when you taste nothing but grainy cinnamon. and actually, this beer showed little to no noticeable cinnamon. The most assertive spice is probably nutmeg.

The more I got into the bottle the more pumpkin I began to taste. Once it warmed to 40+ degrees the pumpkin suddenly popped! And it was all I could taste (or at least focus on). It was robust - silky, sticky, slimy pumpkin. Yum! This has the most pumpkin flavor of any "pumpkin ale" easily.

Medium bodied with assertive alcohol on the tongue, but not overpowering. Bitter finish due to the hops. Drinkability is pretty good. I know people say how "the alcohol was barely noticeable" all the time, but in this case it is true. It tasted closer to 7% than 9%... Two bombers over the course of an evening would be doable.

09-04-2010 02:46:52 | More by Spider889
CMW

Missouri

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

A - Pours a clear copper color with a small white head that fades quickly. Little or no lacing to speak of.

S - Pumpkin pie smell. There is no really other way to describe the aroma.

T - Sweet caramel upfront that mixes with more of a bready crustlike taste. Alcohol comes in the end but is not overbearing.

M - Carbonation is mild but there is still a nice creaminess.

D - Extremely drinkable and hard to tell that its 9%.

09-04-2010 02:13:46 | More by CMW
magine

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured into a goblet glass.

Pours a deep copper/orange color, with a wispy nearly white thin lace head. Head fades to a thin ring of lace not much else. An average looking brew. The colors are spot on and look great though. I wonder if a different glass would have been better - the bottle lists a goblet, BA says a nonic or pint glass. Hmm. Minimal lace, average look.

Brew smells of pumpkin spice; smells are not overpowering but are there. I was expecting more of a in your face nose. Can pick up the cinnamon, nutmeg pumpkin spice. Has a malty nose. Can almost detect a musty scent as well - a friend mentioned wet dog - a bit extreme, but the musty scent is there for sure. Good smell.

The brew is tart and slightly bitter. Has a very easy going medium balance mouthfeel. Brew has a nice smoothness to it as well, the malty flavors work very well. In the end I am tasting a hop bitterness and a ever so slight warming from the booze. There is a citrus flavor in here as well. As you drink, you cant help but think pumpkin pie. Very well done, very light an easy drinking. Very tasty stuff.

Wow - I like this style brew. It certainly isn't my favorite style to indulge in, it has its place for sure. To me this (so far), is the best I have had of this style. Not overdone, perfectly drinkable and very tasty. Try a few every year to usher in the fall season. Very good stuff.

09-03-2010 01:23:37 | More by magine
yuenglingfan101

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

Absolutely love this beer. Smell and taste of pumpkin, which so delicious. The taste of pumpkin actually makes you want to drink more and more. Unfortunately this beer is 9% ABV, so drinking a couple you will be completely wasted. Worth it to taste and worth it to smell this pumpkin ale. No other beer like it.

09-02-2010 09:57:53 | More by yuenglingfan101
ZDub

2.7/5  rDev -33.7%

Drinking this one from my usual tulip glass. Bottled on date of 8/2010. 22oz Bomber.

A - Two fingers of eggshell-white head hangs around for a few seconds and then recedes down to one finger. The color was lighter than I expected, a light-gold with a tiny trace of amber. Reminds me of apple juice. It looks refreshing, if that's even possible.

S - More pumpkin pie spice than pumpkin, but not too spicey. I'd guess Cinnamon is the dominant spice. There may be some citrus notes in there as well.

T - Hmmm. Not what I expected, very mild flavors. Pumpkin pie spices and a touch of alcohol. Very low sweetness.

M - Light to Light-medium bodied. Moderate carbonation.

D - For me, one bomber is enough.

Notes: With the high ratings this beer gets I was shocked at how underwhelming I found it. I DO like pumpkin beers. DFH Punkin Ale and Brooklyn's Post Road are great. I just found this one to be lacking. I expect more sweetness and boldness of flavors in a pumpkin beer and this one had neither. I may try it again though. Perhaps I just had a bad bottle.

09-02-2010 00:48:09 | More by ZDub
STEG

4.53/5  rDev +11.3%

I regret not buying this last year. Slightly chilled. Pours a deep amber color with a one finger rocky head into a duvel tulip.

Smell is insane, this could not smell any more like pumkin pie, you can smell the pie crust the cooked plain pumpkin and restrained spices, that blend all together nicely.

Ok, this is wrong, this is pumpkin pie, no more no less. It's perfectly balanced. Not too spicey, not too pumkiney, and has a notable pie crust character to it. Booze is present but not overwhelming and adds to the sweetness.

Mouthfeel is a bit watery and syrupy but overall not bad.

Extremely drinkable especially if your a pumkin pie fan. Its still tough to complete the bomber by yourself though

I will be buying a case or two or three of this, to last me until next year.

09-01-2010 00:58:54 | More by STEG
fastsrt

4.63/5  rDev +13.8%

22 ounce bottle in pint glass

A: copper, fluffy head

S: pumpkin and spice

T: mellow rich flavors not overpowering perfect balance between beer and pumpkin, absolutely delicious.

M: is good, carbonation level is good, medium- full body

D: one bottle as a treat is a pleasure to drink, would not drink all the time but one or two bottles a year, will do, The best pumpkin beer i have ever had.

08-31-2010 23:18:55 | More by fastsrt
Franz4

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

A- Looked great coming out of the bottle, a great orange/copper color, little to no head with just a thin layer of suds on top.

S- smells delightfully like pumpkin bars ma used to make...

T- pumpkin flavor with a hint of fall spices. Pumpkin isn't overbearing, could be a little stronger, but that's a very fine line to walk.

M- fine carbonation releases and brings about a different set of tastes in the mouth, I'd like it a bit smoother and slightly thicker, but it's still very good.

D- doesn't go down too quick (which is probably good @9%) but is definitely drinkable as a dessert/seasonal brew. Obviously not intended for every occasion.

08-31-2010 00:54:27 | More by Franz4
Axic10

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

My first bottle of the year of my hands down favorite pumpkin beer of all time. Poured from 22oz bottle into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a light amberish color with a tiny layer of head that settles to next to nothing.

Smell: Great nose. Cinnamon, nutmeg...like inhaling pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving dinner.

Taste: Exactly like the nose, this is liquid pumpkin pie in a glass. Nice spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. The after taste almost tastes like the crust on a real pumpkin pie.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and creamy.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable, will be drinking as much of this as I can over the next couple of months.

08-30-2010 23:40:56 | More by Axic10
ztruempy

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

I have to hand it to Southern Tier. They single handedly brought me back to craft brews. Just 2 short years ago I was eating at my local pub when I saw ST Pumking available as a draft on their chalkboard. I've enjoyed pumpkin beers around Thanksgiving in years past, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Wow. First, the smell instantly calls up memories of dessert after a certain holiday dinner in November. Sweet. Aromatic. Full.

The initial sip is smoooth. I mean smooth. Even if you're not a big ale drinker, you're likely to find something to like in Pumking. It's sweet, and did I mention smooth? Not overpowering smooth...just right. Having sampled many pumpkin ales, this one ranks at the top of the list.

It left little after taste. The spices following the pumpkin quickly down my throat. The dark, orange color is reminiscent of its namesake gourd.

When/if you find this on your shelves, give it a whirl. You won't be disappointed.

08-30-2010 19:56:44 | More by ztruempy
StevenBilodeau

Connecticut

3.6/5  rDev -11.5%

This is an exceptional beer. Wow....

As far as Imperial Pumpkin ales go, this is up there. My personal favs are Shipyard's Smashed Pumpkin ale, but now this too... this was amazing... high abv level, nice color... good flavor and nice spice!

I was so excited about this beer I had it out of the bottle, after work, didn't even get time to pour it into a glass, don't worry this wont be the first time I have this beer, I will get a chance to pour it in a glass once I get home, I bought 4 bottles! lol

I loved this brew.

08-29-2010 18:59:14 | More by StevenBilodeau
pdoran10

2.6/5  rDev -36.1%

hey its a pumpkin beer! poured from bomber into a pint glass. have heard this is one of the best pumpkin beers around, so im excited to try.

pours out a slightly hazy golden color with half a finger of white head. nice appearance.

smell is bittering hops and a bit of spice. smell reminds me of great lakes christmas ale.

taste does not remind me of great lakes christmas ale. this taste is horrible. pumpkin puree is not ok in beer. no, it's not. i love pumpkin pie. i hate this beer. taste sucks.

moutfeel is nice with a good amount of carbonation feels like a well crafted ale.

drinkability is a fail for me. pumpkin puree makes this suck.

08-29-2010 07:14:29 | More by pdoran10
xnicknj

2.68/5  rDev -34.2%

22 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Pours a tepid clear orange with minimal head which quickly fades out. Barely any retention or lacing while drinking.

S - Dominated by pumpkin, spice, malt, and sweetness.

T - Starts off sweet with plenty of pumpkin and spice, reminiscent of pumpkin pie. A malt base attempts to hold everything together, but the heavy flavors dominate the palate. Finishes somewhat dry with lingering fall flavors.

M - Mid level body, and a long lasting bitter feel after swallowing.

D - The pumpkin spice and bitterness stops me dead in my tracks, as this one will probably take a while to finish.

Oh, pumpkin beers. This one fails to break the mold of similar brews which consistently disappoint me.

08-29-2010 06:13:05 | More by xnicknj
Mosstrooper

4.83/5  rDev +18.7%

Poured from 22oz bottle into 16oz Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance: Pale strawberry blonde color with a medium off-white head that dissipates quickly and leaves behind no lace.

Smell: VERY, VERY good! The pumpkins really shine through, along with spices (nutmeg, cinnamon) and hints of caramel malt. This smells like a kitchen just after two fresh pumpkin pies have been taken out of the oven.Seriously, I can even smell the pie crust in this brew.

Taste: As the smell suggests, this tastes like fresh pumpkin pie- pumpkin flavors and spices up front, finishing with breadiness and hints of caramel malt sweetness and a touch of alcohol. Imagine the best, fresh, homemade pumpkin pie you have ever tasted, throw in a dash of alcohol, and this brew is what you get. This beer leaves behind vegetal pumpkin flavors which linger in the throat and sinuses, as well as on the palate and tongue. You'll be burping pumpkin pie for a while after a bomber of this. I am almost tempted to slap some whipped cream onto this beer...

Mouthfeel: Heavier, very bready body with balanced carbonation and a warming finish. This beer is also quite filling.

Drinkability: This is a fantastic brew- the alcohol is well-masked, and the flavors are intense but all of them work well together, while the high ABV is well masked. One of the most beautiful brewing masterpieces to ever pass my lips. I have liked the other pumpkin beers I have tried, but this one is by far the best- not only is this a great pumpkin beer, it is just a great beer. I will be enjoying this one all Autumn long, but as soon as fall turns to winter, I don't know what I'll do about the cravings I will inevitably have.

08-29-2010 05:15:24 | More by Mosstrooper
THORN

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

2010 Bomber poured into Westmalle Goblet. Served around 40 F.
A: Light orange with random co2 bubbles releasing from the bottom of the goblet. Pours a very bubbly thin head, retains a few splotches.
S: Nutmeg, pumpkin, and brown sugar.
T: Sweet malts, real pumnpkin, and bitter hops. The pumpkin flavor is less like candy than other years and has a nice nutmeg quality to it.
M: Medium light on tongue.
D: Very complete pumpkin beer. Other years have been a little too candy-like and this years higher abv is unnoticeable.

08-29-2010 04:09:24 | More by THORN
JLeege

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance- Light orange in color, nice off white head. Decent lacing.

Smell- Pumpkin pie. WOW WA WE WOW. VERY NICE!

Taste- Pumpkin pie, some nutmeg, graham cracker. slight touch of alcohol on the finish. Not quite as strong as the aroma.

Mouthfell- creamy with medium carbonation. works well.

Overall- In my opinion this is the best pumpkin ale out there. Bought plenty of this to get me through the fall this year. This should mellow out a bit and probably improve in a few months.

08-28-2010 04:35:36 | More by JLeege