Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 08-26-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
johnd513

4.43/5  rDev +9.1%

This beer pours a amber orange color with a small white head that quickly disappears. Huge pumpkin smell with nutmeg and cinnamon. The taste is unmistakably pumpkin pie. The mouthfeel had medium body with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, I was happy with the bomber. Not as sweet as I expected (I thought creme brulee was too sweet). This is hands down the best pumpkin beer I have had. Another great beer from Southern Tier.

10-15-2008 02:13:02 | More by johnd513
thequeen711

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Hands down, the best pumpkin ale ever out there!!! 2007 is not as pumpkiny as 2008,but if you combine both together, you get an awesome tasting. I challenge anyone out there with a bottle of 07', pour a couple of ounces in a snifter, then add the same amount of the 08 to the glass and let us know what you think!!! Someone needs to tell Southern Tier!

10-13-2008 23:10:24 | More by thequeen711
feloniousmonk

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Into a chalice, it's poured, lookig a light orange, softly hazed, with brown edges..nice, if slimmed down head.

Aroma starts with cinnamon and nutmeg, not too loud, soft, but spicy, then the meat of the gourd calls out below. Sweet, spicy, and nice.

In the mouth, it's all there. Nothing but pumpkin, not too big and bold, but not skimpy either, and not one of these where only the spices of a pumpkin pie are employed to deliver the desired effect. No, this is with real pumpkin added, and the abv is definitely higher than normal, doesn't show at first, but then we get nice and warm.
Honestly, it really tastes like drinking a slightly diluted pumpkin pie, blended up and kicked up with some booze. Delicious stuff.
Really good.
Might not need the 9% abv, I mean, jeez, does everything have to go so high, these days? I remember when 9% used to mean something...argh, grumble, mumble, you kids get off my lawn!

BUT..damn good beer, highly recommended...drink one and see...

10-13-2008 06:24:25 | More by feloniousmonk
JISurfer

South Carolina

4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

This is a very solid Pumpkin beer. I should know, because I get my hands on any pumpkin beer I see. I would say this is easily one of the top pumpkin beers, if not one of the top beers I've had. The smell is really interesting. It has hints of amaretto, pumpkin, and spices. The taste has a hint of the amaretto, but more of the pumpkin and spices, with a little kick of alochol. Very smooth and warming, which is great for the cool fall nights. The only bad thing about this one, is that I can't find it in SC.

10-13-2008 03:08:37 | More by JISurfer
jdg204

4.1/5  rDev +1%

2nd of 2 Southern Tier offerings I picked up in Rochester, NY. This one was more for the wife and I to enjoy together, so it's a joint review.

A: Pours an almost clear honey color with a modest, but frothy head that leaves a reasonable splashing of lace

S: Pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and sweetened cornbread

T: Opens with a rich pumpkin and spice flavor, which becomes increasingly spicey by mid-palate; after the swallow, the cornbread flavor builds, sweet and buttery; the finish has some alcohol on it.

M: Medium body with moderate carbonation; some warmth on the swallow.

D: This was an extremely unique brew. I'll admit that I bowed out earlier than the wife (just a bit too much pumpkin for me), but I still enjoyed this brew. Southern Tier is clearly about pushing the limits and I can totally respect and acknowledge that even if it's not my cup of tea (the wife LOVED IT though). I need to find me some more Southern Tier now!

10-12-2008 05:37:49 | More by jdg204
Rainintheface

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: copper in color with small slight off-white head and medium amount of carbonation

S: amazing graham cracker aroma which I haven't nosed before. pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice play second fiddle. some brown sugar is also to be found.

T: wow, I even taste graham cracker crust. cinnamon, spices and pumpkin. The whole pie is in this bottle.

M: med-full body, creamy with moderate carb

D: Best Pumpkin yet. I could drink all Fall

10-11-2008 19:32:51 | More by Rainintheface
zeff80

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

A - Poured out a cloudy, orange amber color with a small, foamy, off-white head. No lace.

S - It smelled of pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon, spices. There were also malty hints.

T - It truly tasted like pumpkin pie. Delicious pumpkin flavor with just the right nutmeg and cinnamon kicks.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium-bodied beer.

D - This is a really nice tasting pumpkin ale. Absolutely the best one that I've ever had.

10-11-2008 02:28:21 | More by zeff80
williamherbert

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

A hazy amber/yellow orange concoction. The head is average. Has a hazy thickness to the look. Not bad.

The aroma is out of this world. A very, VERY bready smell. Heavy yeast and a cake-like aroma. A combination of pumpkin pie and -- perhaps more strongly -- carrot cake. Like a liquified confection. Immense.

The taste is very strong carrot cake. Pumpkin spice and brown sugar. Very conspicuous alcohol burst. Hits the back of the tongue with authority. Rich and bready, like a sugary cake.

Feels thick and foamy. Milky and chunky. Chewy. It's delicious and bursting with flavor, but also seriously heavy.

10-11-2008 00:22:03 | More by williamherbert
Goregazm

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

IF MOUNTAIN DEW CAME OUT WITH A BEER, THIS WOULD BE IT

Appearance: Pours with a light copper body, a little fizzy with some bubbles. Has a good frothy head, which takes a bit to go down and leaves some attractive lacing behind.

Smell: If there ever was a beer that smell like a homemade pumpkin pie, this is it. By far, this is the sweetest aroma I've ever smelled from a beer. Can smell pumpkin, brown sugar, a little whipped cream and caramel, and some nice spices. Very aromatic. Unfortunately, after awhile the sweetness became overwhelming and started to have a negative effect on my sense of smell.

Taste: PUMPKIN PIE. Seriously, it's like drinking a fucking pie. Has a very slight bitterness along with the creampy pumpkin taste. Even the pie crust can be tasted in here. Like the smell, this is the sweetest beer I've ever tasted.

Mouthfeel: Has a slightly thick, yet still smooth feel in the mouth. Aftertaste is almost identical to the taste, with a little more sweetness (if that is possible).

Drinkability: This is a tough beer to review. On one hand, I see it as a great dessert beer, as it would go spectacularly with a big piece of pumpkin pie and vanilla ice cream. On the other hand, this beer is just too damn sweet. I couldn't even finish the pint I was drinking without starting to feel a little sick from the sweetness overload. Bottom line, if you want a well brewed, extremely sweet pumpkin beer, try this one. If your not crazy about an ale that feels like it's rotting through your teeth, stay away. If I was to have this again, I'd have one glass, then stop. Any more then that, and I might need dentures.

10-09-2008 02:25:10 | More by Goregazm
ccrida

Oregon

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Bomber poured into my Deschutes snifter, Pumking is a clear copper with an eggshell colored head, tight and creamy, leaving pretty light lace.

Smell at first whiff was very astringent and bitter, earthy, like burnt stems and seeds, totally off-putting. Served at 55F, as it opened up (or I adjusted), it sweetened and gained depth, and I began to enjoy deconstructing it. I see everybody finds lots distinct of pumpkin pie flavor, for my money, it's more like a pumpkin egg-nog with a the egg-nod flavor strong and very pronounced, and the roasted pumpkin fleshy and earthy.

Taste is also bittersweet and earthy, heavy on the whole roasted pumpking flavor, the spices are a fairly generic mismash of astringency, with biting, bitter finish with slight, sweet aftertaste. I really dig the fleshiness of the pumpkin, and am happy that this tastes more like a pumpkin side dish then pumpkin pie. Pretty smooth, with the high ABV very well hidden.

Mouthfeel is drier, sharp, but with a creamy carbonation, medium bodied.

Drinkability is pretty good, I have to admit, I was expecting a super sweet desert beer, but this is a nice, sturdy drinking fall warmer that emphasizes it's namesake vegetable. Still, I can see why it wouldn't be for everyone, and I would think if I went for a second bomber, I'd regret it. I bought this in Boston about 2 months ago and have cellared it since, but now that it's available in WA (and probably soon to be OR), it's might be making a regular fall appearance. I need to track another down and try cellaring it for a year. Better served warmer, like a barelywine (although it doesn't particularly taste like one).

10-06-2008 00:59:25 | More by ccrida
guild337

4.93/5  rDev +21.4%

A - Very nice orange/brown color. Great solid finger width head.

S- Could be the best aroma I have every experienced with a beer. I spent a solid 5 minutes just enjoying the wonderful pumpkin aroma, mixed with the brown sugar, nutmeg, vanilla, and faint whipped cream. Simply wonderful.

T- Somehow more subtle than the smell, but still very flavorful. It is pumpkin pie in liquid form. The creaminess is very pleasant, mixed with the sweetness of the pumpkin, and the complexity of the spices.

M- This beer has substance, but is not too thick. Surprisingly not filling.

D - For a 9% beer, it is very drinkable. There is some warmth from the alcohol, but no more than there would be if you were eating a piece of pumpkin pie. Simply a great beer.

10-05-2008 18:58:16 | More by guild337
scruffwhor

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A one finger head right after the pour, that recedes to a small island of foam andring. Good medium copper hue with a very strong column of bubbling. The aroma is hearty pumpkin bread, strong malt notes and a well integrated pumpkin aroma. The taste is equally bready and pumpkin-ey, but with more emphasis on spices. Notes of numeg, cinnamon, and brown sugar come throuh in the middle. The finish is a dry, grainy pumpkin bread. Good sipping beer on a brisk october evening.

10-04-2008 23:44:20 | More by scruffwhor
jenitivecase

Kansas

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

A: Dark pumpkin colored, with a nice off-white, solid head with great retention.

S: Pumpkin pie. Seriously - both filling and crust. Pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, crust, vanilla.

T: Pumpkin pie. Really. All of it. I can't believe this is a 9% beer - there is no real alcohol flavor discernible.

M: Medium-bodied; pleasantly creamy. Carbonation is great, and is still present long after pouring.

D: Definitely a very drinkable beer. Pretty intense flavor that might be offputting after a few consecutive bottles, but I'm pretty sad there's not another bomber to pour.

10-04-2008 22:02:13 | More by jenitivecase
HomeRunBaker

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

This is the perfect autumn beer. It pours a light bronze color. Strong smell of pumpkin, with some nutmeg-like spice. The taste was superb. Again, the pumpkin was strong, but not at all overpowering. There were also various spices present, most notably nutmeg and vanilla. Everything came together perfect. I can't imagine a better iteration of this style.

10-04-2008 01:01:24 | More by HomeRunBaker
Ineedabeerhere

3.3/5  rDev -18.7%

Im not a huge fan of pumpkin ales, or that experienced with the style but here were my thoughts.

It looks great, and the aroma is very spicy with all the usual suspects for the style. But comparing this to dogfish's pumpkin (my favorite of the style thusfar), ST went way overboard on the spices. It was too sweet for my taste (much like their creme brulee). ST continues to take a style and push its limits, which was great for Jahva or Choklat, but for CB and Pumking, I cant say the same.

I have heard that last year's batch was easier on the spices, which may have appealed to me more. The problem for me was that it was flat out too sweet. Much like the creme brulee, this would be better enjoyed after dinner shared with a few friends.

10-04-2008 00:13:39 | More by Ineedabeerhere
erikm25

Washington

4.63/5  rDev +14%

A: Pours a cooper, with a equally crisp, one finger tightly bubbled tinted off white head. The copper coloring is coupled with a dark pumpkin orange hue. Carve some eyes in it and drop a candle in the glass and you would have a full on jack-o-lantern. The appearance and lacing are solid.

S: Admittedly, I did not know what to think of the first whiff as it was so overwhelming. As I continued to smell this remarkable beer I began to appreciate the huge aromas. It has a massive buttery vanilla and fresh deep dish home cooked pumpkin pie smell. They must have thrown in the pumpkin stems and seeds because the smell is earthy. The spiced nutmeg, ginger, clove, and cinnamon are all very pronounced. A thick graham cracker quality. Overall, the smell is amazing, heavy, and truly complex.

T: This lives up to the Pumking name. The taste is hearty and rich of pumpkin pie crust, whip cream, and marshmallow. There are huge amounts of nutmeg, pecans, and ginger bread. Even hints of a Halloween favorite: candy corn. Very sweet with perfect seasonings and a nice malt roundness. The taste is a haunted house of flavors that spook the mouth.

M: Body is medium and creamy with perfect carbonation. The finish is long and pronounced. Almost like I took a bite of the pumpkin pie instead of a drink.

D: I checked the bottle again just to confirm this was 9% as it drinks that smoothly. I think this is the most unique taste of the pumpkin ales I have tried to date. I am by no means an expert in this genre but it works perfectly for this time of year. It is something that you can gorge on for the Halloween season. Ode to Púca and brewed with the pagan spirit in mind. Take the kids trick or treating, carve some pumpkins, jam some Misfits or Gwar, dress up like a your favorite maniac, or go watch the Jimmy Stewart movie Harvey. At least give this beer a shot.

10-03-2008 03:44:12 | More by erikm25
Jerzdevil1116

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

22 oz bomber purchased at Joe Canal's in Egg Harbor Twp., NJ. Drank for a pint glass.

A: Clear, orangey/amber body. Thin white head that clings to the glass. Steady stream of small bubbles rising in the glass. Nice lacing.

S: Smells like they squeezed the juice out of a pumpkin pie. There's the pumpkin and spice smells found in other pumpkin ales, but this goes an extra step. The crust is in there too (vanilla anad grahm crackers).

T: Tastes just like it smells, pumpkin pie; crust and all. Also has a pleasant, slightly bitter finish

M: Medium bodied and velvety smoothe.

D: My mouth watered waiting for this one to make it's appearance this season. IMO the best pumpkin beer out there. Though I savor it slowly, it is full of great flavors and highly drinkable for 9% abv.

10-03-2008 03:22:51 | More by Jerzdevil1116
glid02

Georgia

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Got this from a friend.

Pours a light copper/dark gold color with a slightly off-white one-finger head. The head dissipates quickly into a wispy layer of bubbles and a thin ring around the glass. Almost no lacing.

Smells magnificent. Huge amounts of pumpkin and vanilla with undertones of spices. I could smell it the second I popped the cap, and now that it's in the glass it smells even better.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Big hits of vanilla and pumpkin up front, with a mild spiciness that ends just the slightest touch of bitterness. The pumpkin flavor sticks around for a while and leaves me wanting more. It's a little too sweet in the beginning, but as it warms it tastes amazing. There's absolutely no hint of the alcohol.

Mouthfeel is good. It's mildly thin at first, but as it warms up the carbonation calms down and the beer thickens. It's got more body than most pumpkin beers.

Drinkability is great. It goes down as easily as any pumpkin beer that I've had.

Overall this is a must try. Weyerbacher and DFH both make exceptional pumpkin beers but this is on a level all its own. I'm glad I had the chance to try it.

10-01-2008 23:10:21 | More by glid02
kmeves

Wisconsin

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a transparent golden-orange with a large off-white tinted head. Aroma of (surprise) pumpkin, sweet malt and a variety of spices with cinnamon being the most apparent. The flavor has a ginger quality as well as pumpkin, cloves, almonds and light caramel. Long finish with a nice cinnamon and clove character that lingers on the palate. Medium to full bodied with an oily texture and small carbonation. Alcohol very well hidden.

09-30-2008 17:41:58 | More by kmeves
jasonjlewis

2.35/5  rDev -42.1%

Pours a dark orange color with little head and retention. However the orange is pumpkin orange and the color is awesome.

The nose is like pumpkin pie. I smell allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, pumkin, and vanilla extract. I like the intensity of the smell, but I'd like less vanilla extract.

I can appreciate the pumkin spice in the beer. But there are two major problems, too much spice (mainly vanilla extract) and I find too much hop balance as I'm getting a somewhat lingering citrusy bitterness. The hop complaint isn't a super huge complaint, but still valid. I aslo feel that the pumpkin flavoring of the beer just isn't very good.

This beer has a somewhat sticky mouthfeel. I'd like a bigger malt body to go with the pumpkin spice.

Somehow, this beer just doesn't do it for me. THere is too much vanilla extract and the spices don't mend well for me.

I really was looking forward to this beer and I thank seanpacheffddefa (sp?) for the sample.

09-30-2008 02:26:23 | More by jasonjlewis
flieg44

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

Picked up a 650ml bottle, opened and poured into a pint glass. Pours a nice light, orange, amber color. The smell is as good as it gets for a pumkin ale. Cinnamin, nutmeg come right to the fore front. Has a very sweet scent to it. The taste is also impressive. When smelling the beer you expect it to be overly sweet but it isn't. Very smooth, you feel like your drinking a well made pumpkin pie. It is a little thicker then some pumpkin ales I have has but this beer does not disappoint. Probaly one of the best Pumpkin ales I have had.

09-30-2008 00:33:00 | More by flieg44
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

Picked this one up finally thanks to a very generous BA who sent me down a couple of them. I had been waiting forever to try this one, and missed out on it last year. Served cold, right out of the fridge per instructions. It was served in an oversized wine glass and consumed on 09/22/2008.

The pour was simply stunning. A very rich and very hazy looking orange liquid came gurgling out of the bottle, hitting the glass with decent enough force to throw up a nice two inch layer of off white head. Nice retention kept this one hanging around for a good long while before finally settling down into a thin layer of white across the top that stayed until the very end and left behind a very nice layer of side glass lace.

The aroma was about as rich as you can get. This was the most decadent, dessert like beer that I have ever run across. This smelled more like a pumpkin pie then my grandma's ! Super sweet with lots of gingerbread, and sweet cookie goodness. This was about as good as it gets. Translated over as perfectly as you could have imagined into the flavor. Huge notes of cinnamon, pumpkin spice, gingerbread, everything you could imagine. This was just colossal with no hint at all of any abv. Rich and decadent in the taste and well as the feel,. The only drawback was this was soo rich with sugar it was hard to drink too much of it as it became a little bit tough after a bit. Aside from that this was about as good as it gets.

Overall, wow. I have never tasted anything like this it was just tremendous. This was the most perfect fall dessert I could think of. Rich, sweet, decadent. This was better then I ever imagined it would be. Overall I was floored and would have to recommend this to anyone!

09-29-2008 10:31:53 | More by mikesgroove
hazakaza

4.9/5  rDev +20.7%

Beer has recently stopped surprising me . . . but that all changed with Pumking. The nose is all vanilla and bourbon, and you think you're in for another very sweet beer, like the creme brullee stout. Not so! Every sip is a journey across the palate. Up front there are strong cinnamon and brown sugar notes, widening to the promised bourbon. The interesting part comes at the end of your palate, where a cleansing hoppiness comes through to finish the sip and cleanse your palate. Without this hoppiness, the beer would be too sweet. With it, it's a fascinating, well-balanced, and extremely complex beer that made me do a double take. Every sip is a journey. I've already bought at least 5 of these, and trust me, I'll be back for more before this delicious seasonal disappears.

09-29-2008 01:04:21 | More by hazakaza
jmz62565

Connecticut

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a very clear golden/amber with a large head that lasts. The head isn't huge,but it does leave good lacing. The smell is very pungent and nice with pumpkin,cinnamon,bread yeast,ginger,and alcohol. The taste is like the smell, full of pumpkin,bread yeast,ginger bread cookies,and cinnamon. This is like walking into a bakery,both smell and taste. The m/f is medium with all the flavors mixing well. I'm not one for fruit beers,but this is very good and just another quality beer from a great brewery.

09-28-2008 21:25:42 | More by jmz62565
whynot44

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Very nice Pumpkin orange color with a modest white head that lingers and even manages a bit of lacing.

The aroma is fresh baked pumpkin pie, complete with crust.

The taste is somewhere between pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread, with actual pumpkin flavor not just a load of spice, although the spices are there as well - nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves - very well balanced with the pumpkin. There are also hints of nuts, a bready (or crusty) malt background and just a bit of herbal hops at the finish. The alcohol content is barely detectable.

Medium bodied, silky smooth, not overly sweet or overly spiced, very nicely balanced. This could go rerasonably well with poultry or ham, but is really a nice dessert brew afterward. The best pumpkin brew yet and a good beer for cool fall weather.

09-26-2008 04:02:59 | More by whynot44