Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros

2.25/5  rDev -44.6%

3.63/5  rDev -10.6%

22oz bottle into a pint glass

a: very little head, orangish, amber color

s: Strong cinnamon graham cracker crust

t: I taste cinnamon and graham cracker. Maybe a touch of whip cream. My wife, who loves pumpkins, is disappointed to not taste any pumpkin. It is definitely more of a pumpkin pie taste than a pumpkin taste. There is a sour, slightly bitter aftertaste which I don't particularly like.

M: smooth, not much carbonation.

O: I really like the cinnamon and graham cracker taste, but I'm slightly disappointed overall.

4.48/5  rDev +10.3%

22z bottle dated 8-6-12 into a Hoffman House chalice.

A - Poured straight down the middle, forming a large billowing white head that slowly fades. Deep orange and brilliantly clear.

S - Aroma of allspice, clove hits after opening the bottle. Deep cinnamon, pumpkin aroma - almost graham-cracker like - with a tiny hint of vanilla. Very nice. Like a slice of pumpkin pie, whipped cream and all. Distant hint of sweet-liquor booze.

T - Carbonation, spices and malt flavors mingle with a small amount of vanilla, creating a very complex initial taste. Fades into a liqueur-like pumpkin candy middle with a pleasantly sweet, complex mulled spice finish.

M - Medium to heavy body with medium carbonation.

O - A large, pumpkin-pie-with-whipped-cream liqueur. A sipper and a good one.

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured into a sampler glass at Capones from a fresh tapped keg.

A: An amber light orange color that filters a decent amount of light. Minimal off white head and minimal glass lacing.

S: Nutty mostly, with hints of spice inculding nutmeg, amaretto and a large amount of hazlenut. I get no hints of pumkin on the nose.

T: Follow the nose. This beer is high on the spice part, but low on the pumkin part. Again, a large amount of hazlenut flavors with nutmeg and other spice mixed in along with a malty sugar type sweetness. If I try hard, I can pick up some pumkin flavor, but not near enough in my eyes. Don't get me wrong, the beer is different and very good, but it severely lacks pumkin flavor.

M: Medium mouthfeel and the alcohol is hidden very well. Light carbonation so the beer does go down easily.

D: Medium. I enjoyed my one, but I'm not sure how many I could acutally drink.

Overall this was a solid beer, but if I had not know it was pumkin I would have never guessed it. I missed hints of cinnamon as this beer seemed to focus on the nutty flavor. I heard the bottle flavor is different, and I bought one to try. I'll report on that once I try it. For the money, the DFH Punkin is a much better choice for pure pumkiness.

9/11/2009. Updating review. Had it again on tap yesterday and this years is better than last. Much more pumpkin, way more tasty in general. Upping the smell score and taste score. Very yummy pumpkin beer.

9/11/2010. Updating review. Had it yet again on tap today. This years version is pure bliss. Less spice, more hops and way more drinkable. This may be the best year ever for Pumking. Awesome.

8/31/2012. Updating review for 2012 version. I see i missed the tap version last year. I was lucky enough to get a sixtel of this wonderful beer this year for home. To update this years flavor, I am once again getting tons of cinnamon, vanilla, caramel, brown sugar and spices. Pumpkin flavor is again lower, but damn, how is this beer that good? Less hops this year, but creamier and smoother and the alcohol is almost non-existent on the tap version. What a superb beer I will enjoy over the next 2 months. The big question is, will I be sick of it by the end of the keg. Stay tuned.

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Orange amber with almost no head. Some decent lacing. Smells of... surprise, pumpkin. Cinnamon, nutmeg, other spices. Like a freshly baked pumpkin pie. Tastes of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, pumpkin... harvest flavors. The bready acts as a pie crust flavor too. MMM, pumpkin pie. Medium heavy mouthfeel and low carbonation.

Best pumpkin beer I've had yet.

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle poured into a snifter

A- Pours slightly hazy golden orange with a one finger off white head.

S- This smells exactly like pumpkin pie. There a little pumpkin and some cinnamon and spices. The beer has a lot of pie crust smells in it. A strong brown sugar breaddy aroma. Unlike anything else out there.

T- Tastes like a pumpkin pie, exactly like it. There is a lot of pie crust character. Very sugary and yet quite full and smooth. The brown sugar backbone of this beer goes very well with the pumpkin flavors. This beer has a lot of cinnamon in it and is quite spicy.

M- Smooth. This beer also has a unique spicy and lively feel afterwards. It drinks easily and is full flavored.

O- Awesome stuff. Tastes like pumpkin pie. Everybody should try this beer if they can get it.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

The beer pours into a snifter glass like a liquid pumpkin, a beautiful murky orange with amber hints and a little white ring of small white bubbles that leave lazy lines of lacing on the glass. There is a nice steady flow of bubbles and odd enough, there is one spot on my glass where a straight line of bubbles is consistently running up the side of the glass. The beer smells like a pumpkin pie, pulpy with pumpkin meat and spicy with nutmeg, cinnamon, and clove. Sweet and caramel malts could be hiding in the back of the smell but they seem pretty light overall. The beer’s taste follows the nose; it’s a little cloying with the spices which leave a burn on the tongue but overall this beer is a liquid pumpkin pie. The meat tastes a little raw on the tongue and the spices are a little too potent but it comes together in a lovely sip. Mouthfeel is a little fierce with rapid pinpricks of carbonation on the tongue, but this mellows out mostly into a thin syrupy treat. Afterfeel is still tingling from the carbonation and a little burned from the spices. Overall this is a great pumpkin beer; the spice is a little too much, which holds this beer back from being amazing, but by no means stops it from being a great drink. For all you pumpkin beer lovers out there, try it!

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

A - Pours an clear orange color, with a minimal 1/2 finger off white head. I have brewed beers like this and I have no idea how they get it so clear with all of the pumpkin and spice that must go in there.

S - Smells of spice, clove, ginger, and pumpkin pie.

T - The taste is a lot like the smell. There are a lot of flavors going on, from clove, to all spice, to ginger... and of course pumpkin. The alcohol, even at 8.6% is non-existent. A joy to drink

M - The mouth feel is medium / heavy. There is a slight sweetness that coats your mouth too.

O - This is hands down my favorite pumpkin beer. It's rare that any beer can have this many flavors going on without anything being overwhelming. Stock up, because in a month or 2 you are going to want another and it'll be gone...

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

I made it a goal to try as many pumpkin ales as I could last year. I got around to trying about 10 of them and this beer was the best of them all! I am starting my BA career by reviewing my two favorite beers ever GL Christmas Ale and Southern Tier Pumking. I was excited to pick up a growler of this and yes it is August and I hope to have this world class pumpkin ale while sitting by the fire in October. The appearance is orange with kind of a brown tint. It smells like pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving day while watching the Lions! I get a scent of sweet cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin. This world class brew tastes Exactly like it smells. It is the most flavorful pumpkin ale I have tried. It is smooth, sweet, majestic and not bitter at all! I recommend this for anyone who wants to try an amazing fall seasonal beer! It is truly one of a kind. I look forward to trying more Southern Tier beers! At 8.6 % it warms you up on a cool fall night.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

Next to DFH Punkin, my favorite pumpkin ale. I love that it has a kind of gramham cracker flavor to it. Really tastes like drinking pumpkin pie. Good carb level, and doesn't take a whole lot to get you to a pleasant place. Love drinking it out on the porch in front of the fire pit.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%