Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company

Caramel Malt
Pureed Pumpkin

Kettle Hops: Magnum
Aroma Hops: Sterling
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumking Alström Bros
2.22/5  rDev -45.3%

The short version: This beer was so bad that I poured over half of it down the drain. And I'm so cheap that I almost never do that!

The longer version: I expected something similar to Dogfish Head's Punkin, but this most closely resembled an absolutely horrid Michelob vanilla oak that I tried last year. All I tasted in the Pumkin was a very chemical vanilla taste. Maybe a touch of spice and some alcohol, but every sip was overwhelmed by the vanilla. And I love vanilla! But not in this beer. I very rarely regret a beer purchase, but this impulse buy was literally money down the drain.

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

Delicious fall beer that is very drinkable. A beer my wife and I can both enjoy.
Appearance - deep orange color
Smell - hints of cinnamon, nutmeg
Taste - pumpkin pie (my wife likes it with a little cinnamon on top, which brings more head)
Mouthfeel - feel, but you don't feel/taste the higher ABV
Overall - great beer that I will purchase every fall to help prepare me for the season ahead.

1.96/5  rDev -51.7%

A: Crystal clear orange with no head and no lacing. Looks like soda, not appealing at all.

S: Smells of pumpkin pie spices. From what I've been told about this beer, it's what I expected.

T: Does not taste like pumpkin, pumpkin pie, or fall spices! It has a chemical taste with some weird spice on the back end that I can't pin down. Absolutely no malt flavor, no pumpkin, no hops. My wife said it best: "there is no way this can be called beer."

M: Creamy, but really offensive. Something about the feel of this made my stomach almost instantly hurt.

O: If you enjoy chemical cocktails with mild stomach pain, this is your drink. I refuse to call this beer. I choked down half a pint and drain poured the rest of the bottle.

3.04/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

reviewed from notes 9/3/12.

poured into tulip.

Appearance: brilliant orange bodied beer with 2 finger white head. head drops down to a small ring.

Smell: This smells really really bready. little pumpkin and little bit of spices.

Taste: Exactly like the nose. Its tastes way too bready. Its honestly distracting from the pumpkin flavor. Little bit of pumpkin flavor and spices. maybe a hint of graham craker like a pie crust in the finish. Medicinal and vegital finish too.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. It drinks nicely and stays with the ABV level the bottle lists it at. Its a fairly smooth drinker.

Overall: This beer has potential, but the huge bready notes just terrorize this beer. The pumpkin is sapposed to be the star in a Pumpkin Ale, it certain was missed by a long shot in this beer. I am not sure what all the hype is surrounding this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.14/5  rDev +2%

A 22 ounce bomber split into tulips.

"Pours a blood orange color with about a centimeter of pure white head. Comprised of numerous small bubbles, the head dissipates rather quickly leaving a scant ring and some legs across the surface. Little to no lacing.

The aroma is of nutmeg, cardamom, chai, marshmallow, toffee, caramel, all spice, a bit of clove, and some herbal tea. Hard to pull any actual ""pumpkin"" out of it, but I suppose that's not atypical. Reminds me of a chai latte someone might get at a local coffee joint.

Flavor is loaded with nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, cardamom, and toasted marshmallow. Some vanilla, caramel, toffee, clove, coriander, and even raisin come through later on. Loads of spices in this one, but they integrate well and make for a complex beer.

Mouthfeel does well not to be overly sweet, but a few of the spices linger for a while longer than hoped (the nutmeg and cardamom, primarily).

Overall, this is a great ""pumpkin"" beer, even though it doesn't have much in the way of genuine pumpkin flavors (realistically though, the flavor of raw pumpkin isn't all that exciting). If you're looking for pumpkin pie in a glass, this is the one you seek."

1.5/5  rDev -63.1%

2.88/5  rDev -29.1%

Short white head on a clear orangey colored body. Collar left

Bread. Big sweetness.

Immediate thoughts of capn crunch. Buttery. Not digging the aftertaste, kinda nasty actually.

Medium mouthfeel, medium carbonation.

You either love it or hate it, I'm a hater. Meh. I'm still not overly impressed by anything from Southern Tier.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%

A-orange amber color with a smallish off-white head and minimal lacing

S-pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg

T-it's been said before--it tastes like pumpkin pie with rich caramel sweetness and pumpkin pie spices

F-medium body with light to moderate carbonation, smooth

O-a delicious sipper, but due to the sweetness, not something I would drink a whole lot of

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

3.41/5  rDev -16%

Poured from a bomber into a Horny Goat pint glass

Appearance- Pours a very orangish color with some sediment. Head is whispy white and not really a lot there to speak of.

Smell- What I expect out of a pumpkin beer. Lots of nutmeg, spice, pumpkin, and cinnamon.

Taste- I was saddened because I thought a lot was lacking here. I got some pumpkin but the ale and the alcohol were much more present. The nutmeg and cinnamon were no where to be found.

Mouthfeel- A solid mouthfeel here. Semi heavy especially for a pumpkin ale. The mouthfeel gave me the impression of eating pumpkin pie but the palate didn't get the same response.

Overall- Was hoping for a little more here. The mouthfeel and smell were there but the taste just didn't get there for me.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%